Menu

Ds10 got bitten by a dog

Ds was at the park with his dad and got bitten on the thigh. On the phone with eh it sounded like a little nip, but it is still painful two hours later, with a circular bruise and two teeth marks that broke the skin slightly. The owner said, oh it bites our kids too. I am so mad! So do I need to take ds to the doctor tomorrow? Would they give him antibiotics? This was at a playground and we don't know the people whose dog it was. I don't know what I would have done if I was there.

Was this dog up on his vaccinations? Esp. his rabies and distemper vaccinations? While the threat to your child is probably minimal, I would definitely want to know the answer to this since the skin was broken. The bite (and the details on the dog and his owner) need to be given to animal control. If the dog had his tags with current vaccinations on them, I wouldn't bother with going to the doctor unless the bite became infected even after putting antibiotic cream on it.

Was this dog up on his vaccinations? Esp. his rabies and distemper vaccinations? While the threat to your child is probably minimal, I would definitely want to know the answer to this since the skin was broken. The bite (and the details on the dog and his owner) need to be given to animal control. If the dog had his tags with current vaccinations on them, I wouldn't bother with going to the doctor unless the bite became infected even after putting antibiotic cream on it.

:iagree:

My 5yo was bit Wed. evening by our next door neighbor's dog. We called the base police who checked that the vaccinations were up to date. All dogs on base have to be registered with the base vet and up to date on shots.

We were advised to go to the ER since the clinic was closed. Her bite sounded very similar to your son's. You can see where the canine teeth broke through the skin and the smaller front teeth left a red mark that later bruised a tiny bit. She was tender that day and the next and Advil helped. Today she isn't bothered by it at all. It was on her abdomen off to the side btw.

The doc said that a dog who is up to date on shots has very little chance of a rabies concern. If the dog had possibly come into contact with a wild animal, etc. then more concerning. Our biter had not of course, inside dog, always on leash outside. Anyhow, the release paperwork said to watch said dog for 10 days for signs of illness, if none then not to worry.

As for wound, they only cleaned it because I asked them to. They only gave me an antibiotic cream for it because I asked them too (never ended up using it). Didn't seem very worried. As for the dog, we find out tomorrow if they will still keep it here on base or if they have to get rid of it.

Did your husband get the owners name and number? The discharge papers said all animal bites are to be reported to the authorities. Then at least there would be a record of it and you can ask for proof of shots being up to date.

From what I understand you have no information on the owners, right? Your DH didn't get any contact info?

Right, I don't think he realized what the bite was like. So we have no idea who they are except that they were at the playground. It doesn't seem like something to rush to theER for but I'll call the doc in the morning and see what they say, antibiotics may be a good idea since we have no idea the history of the dog. How about tetanus, I don't remember how long ago he had that but the doc will have the records.

I really wish I had been there so I could get their contact info and report it. Definitely not a dog they should bring to the playground!

I'm not trying to scare you, but I have a feeling your son will have to receive the rabies treatment since you have no way of knowing if the dog was up to date on vaccines. And yes, he will require a tetanus vaccine if he isn't up to date on that.

So sorry!! :grouphug:

I'm not trying to scare you, but I have a feeling your son will have to receive the rabies treatment since you have no way of knowing if the dog was up to date on vaccines. And yes, he will require a tetanus vaccine if he isn't up to date on that.

Yes, unfortunately this is true. You do have a certain window--you'd have to call public health to find out what it is--like 48-72 hours-- to start the vaccines. If you could locate the dog and owner (maybe back at the park?) and he can prove vaccines, then you're off the hook. You can't afford to take the chance that the dog was vaccinated because though it's probably a small chance, if your ds did contract rabies and doesn't get the shots, by the time symptoms would appear, there is nearly a 100% chance of death. (There have been one or two survivors once symptoms have become.)

The rabies shots are not bad. I've had them. The human immunoglobulin is the worst part. It hurts like a penicillin shot. You get one of those the first time, then no more. The actual rabies shots are small needles and don't hurt much. They are not given in the stomach as they used to be. However, you have to keep going back to the hospital, so it is a total pain in the neck. You'll have to go to the hospital because the shots are very expensive and regular docs do not stock them and will not order them unless you pay upfront ($2000 or so).

Edited by Laurie4b

Wow! It seems a bit overkill for a family dog, not a stray. We'll see what the doc says, we'll do it if we have to. I think I'll haunt the park next weekend to see if we see them and hand them a bill for all this. Aaargh!

:banghead:

Wow! It seems a bit overkill for a family dog, not a stray. We'll see what the doc says, we'll do it if we have to. I think I'll haunt the park next weekend to see if we see them and hand them a bill for all this. Aaargh!

:banghead:

Rabies can only be treated now. If the dog did have rabies, once your son showed symptoms there is nothing to be done. That's why they would be very instant on the rabies shots.

Here's the thing I wonder, if they have a dog that bites their children, and they bring it to the park where there are other people's children, how responsible have they been about shots. In our area rabies is very much present in the backyard wildlife so I'd be getting shots for sure.

:grouphug:

please, please take him to the doctor today.

this is one of those where the odds are small that the dog had rabies BUT the consequences are huge.....

(and its not as small as you might think. many folks are saving money by not vaccinating their pets these days)

i wouldn't even be thinking twice - the potential of losing one of my kids to something i could have prevented is unimaginable for me.

:grouphug:

ann

eta: next weekend is too late for him to be treated. you really only have a 48-72 hour window to start, which means today....

[quote name=elfgivas@yahoo.com;3559571

eta: next weekend is too late for him to be treated. you really only have a 48-72 hour window to start' date=' which means today....[/quote]

We're definitely going to the doctor today... I just meant we would go back next weekend to see if we see the family. It was at a school so the playground is only open on the weekend.

We're definitely going to the doctor today... I just meant we would go back next weekend to see if we see the family. It was at a school so the playground is only open on the weekend.

Good. You do not want to mess with even the remote possibility of rabies. Once infection sets in, it is almost 100% fatal.

:iagree:The ped I worked for would have recommended the rabies series, in addition to tetanus. If you know nothing about the dog, it's the safest course of action. Whenever anyone is bitten by a dog, you need to get info on the owner and the animal at the time of the incident. It is going to be next to impossible to hold the owner responsible for anything at this point in time. If you have good insurance, the rabies vaccine series should be covered. If not, it's about $900 for the series. I'm sorry, I hope your little guy feels better soon.

Edited by DianeW88

Allearia, if you decide to go ahead with the rabies treatment, I can tell you step by step what DD6 and I had to do this past fall (after bat exposure). You will likely have to have it done at your local emergency room, and there's a decent chance they may not know what they're doing. Half the nurses I spoke to at the ER rolled their eyes and implied that I was being over-cautious when I told them why were there (repeatedly, since it's multiple visits) but not a single doctor did. They also neglected to give me the immune globulin shot. Had I not known my facts, I wouldn't have had it and it would have rendered the treatment almost pointless.

If you want more information on our experience, please feel free to PM me. It was not fun, and it cost $1500 after insurance paid their part, but I definitely rest easier knowing DD and I are safe. I'm so sorry you're even having to think about this :grouphug:

ETA: I'm enraged on your behalf about that dog! What kind of idiot takes a dog that bites his OWN children to a park with children who are strangers?! That's maddening.

Edited by melissel

I know it depends on the state, but here, the hospital billed our insurance nearly $15,000 for the series. We paid $1,500 out of pocket :(

wow, we really don't have that money. We've set up payment plans before so hopefully we can do that unless we can find the owners and bill them.

wow, we really don't have that money. We've set up payment plans before so hopefully we can do that unless we can find the owners and bill them.

I know, I'm sorry :( We were scared to death to see what insurance would say about covering it. When I called to ask, I was told that it depended on how the hospital billed it--what code they used. I asked if they could tell me the code so I could give the hospital the right one and they said no. I was so afraid the hospital would screw it up somehow! By the end of it, we were grateful to get away with just the $1,500!

I do know that there are some states where the cost is completely covered by the state, and based on what Diane said about TX, then it must cost even less in some states than it does in NJ.

No need for all of this if you can verify that the dog has a rabies shot. Unless the wound doesn't heal well, this is just a simple dog nip. It's only a big deal because no one asked the owners for proof of vaccination.

Of course that's the ideal situation, but as Allearia mentioned, they have no idea who the owners are, and the playground is only open on weekends. The rabies treatment should be started within 3-4 days--really, as soon as possible. The good news is that even if the treatment has been started, it can be stopped with no repercussions if they manage to verify the dog's vaccine status.

In our case, we let the bat out of the house before we knew we shouldn't, so we had no choice but to go through the whole thing. Two lessons: Trap the bat, and always get the dog owner's info, no matter how minor the bite seems!

I can't imagine not verifying at the time of the bite, that the dog's current on its shots.

That's common knowledge...please folks in the future, learn from the OP's hubby's mistake.

His lack of follow-through is going to cause a lot of grief.

Just like with a car accident, you HAVE to get the other person's info. It could mean life or death in this case.

I would also contact the police - they may have info on the dog and or its owner - if naught else, they can be on the lookout for it since it bite a child who now needs rabies treatment!

I would do this too!! And is animal control in your area a seperate entity or is it connected to your police department?

Is the park in your neighborhood? Did your dh notice if the dog and his owner were on foot, or if they got into a car whether left the park?

I'm thinking that if your dh and ds can describe the owner and the dog, it might be worth a stroll around the neighborhood to ask around and see if anyone knows who they are. If they go to the park on the weekend, they might walk around the neighborhood during the rest of the week, or the dog might even be outside in a fenced yard.

It would be worth a look if you think they are local.

Is the park in your neighborhood? Did your dh notice if the dog and his owner were on foot, or if they got into a car whether left the park?

I'm thinking that if your dh and ds can describe the owner and the dog, it might be worth a stroll around the neighborhood to ask around and see if anyone knows who they are. If they go to the park on the weekend, they might walk around the neighborhood during the rest of the week, or the dog might even be outside in a fenced yard.

It would be worth a look if you think they are local.

:iagree: Also- call animal control and describe the dog to them. They may have a record of the dog and will know the owners.

:iagree: Also- call animal control and describe the dog to them. They may have a record of the dog and will know the owners.

Yes, definitely -- and don't forget the other suggestion to call the police and ask if any dog bites have been reported. They may know exactly who you are looking for.

Ds was at the park with his dad and got bitten on the thigh. On the phone with eh it sounded like a little nip, but it is still painful two hours later, with a circular bruise and two teeth marks that broke the skin slightly. The owner said, oh it bites our kids too. I am so mad! So do I need to take ds to the doctor tomorrow? Would they give him antibiotics? This was at a playground and we don't know the people whose dog it was. I don't know what I would have done if I was there.

If it broke the skin, the dog either needs to have a current rabies shot (and the owner needs to have papers that prove it) or the police will need to get involved and the dog will have the be quarantined for a week to make sure there is no sign of rabies. That can be really serious. Did your dh get any contact infor for the people? They need to be paying for this! And, their dog could be put down for "nipping" children in the park. They definitely need to know how serious this is!

ETA: I realize this is "a family pet" and the rabies series is a hassle and expensive. However, you don't know how people keep their family pets. If this dog is allowed to be outside at all without the people and he doesn't have a rabies shot, he can contact rabies.

Edited by Tree House Academy

...the dog will have the be quarantined for a week to make sure there is no sign of rabies. ...

Am I thinking outdated procedures here...if the animal isn't current on shots, don't they normally kill it to look at the brain stem?

A week hence, your child is a goner.

Guest submarines
I would do this too!! And is animal control in your area a seperate entity or is it connected to your police department?

Maybe the vets as well?

If the dog has been vaccinated in the past-- but not up to date the owners can ask that a titer be taken

Most rabies vaccinations last for 3+ years-- but since owners 'cant seem to remember' when spaced that far apart the trend is to have them done yearly or to PAY for a 3 year tag (actual dose is the SAME)... pets in the US tend to be over-vaccinated.

If you live in a residential area with limited wild-life you MIGHT have this option-- other than having the pet put down and 'examined'.

Some dogs 'nip' in play and some dogs are just plain VISCOUS.

Dogs who nip in play can be easily retrained if the owner takes the time to do it... Dogs who are viscous should be put down (IMHO).

I would be posting signs NOW-- also enlist other neighbors/friends to help you canvass the neighborhood.

Your first priority is to make sure your child does not go through MORE unnecessary PAIN.

This is secondary to the owners taking responsibility--but important too.

Hopefully the owners will come forward-- or another neighbor will turn them in.

I bet it would not take long to find out who the dog belongs too!

Guest submarines
There have been local news reports here from time to time looking for the owners of dogs who have bitten someone. They take it very seriously and obviously seeing the vaccination record before having to put out so much money is much more prudent as well as not so painful for the child!

This is a great idea! :iagree:

I know it depends on the state, but here, the hospital billed our insurance nearly $15,000 for the series. We paid $1,500 out of pocket :(

Yeah, the $900 was the charge to order the vaccine from the manufacturer. Obviously, the hospital can then upcharge however much they want from that point. Getting the shots in an ER is always more expensive than getting them done in an office. But, as you said, different states have different requirements. I'm sorry yours cost so much. That stinks.

As others have said do NOT assume that family dogs are vaccinated.

My in-laws do not vaccinate their lab. She is an outside only dog, in the country, and gets in fights with wild animals all the time. She spends her days wondering in woods and fields and comes home with bloody wounds sometimes. My BIL was even telling me how the dog was fighting a raccoon in the front yard. He, laughingly, told me he stood there waiting for a clear shot to kill the raccoon. I did not find it funny. I asked him how he knows the dog won't get rabies. They just shrug, and say if the dog gets rabies they'll shoot it. They have 9 yr and 5 yr old kids. I don't get it. They said they don't want to pay for shots and think they are unnecessary. Yet, they keep getting animals. They have rabbits, a pig, a dog, and now they are getting a kitten.

So, never ever think that a family dog is current on shots.

I can't imagine not verifying at the time of the bite, that the dog's current on its shots.

That's common knowledge...please folks in the future, learn from the OP's hubby's mistake.

Just like with a car accident, you HAVE to get the other person's info. It could mean life or death in this case.

I wouldn't say this is common knowledge. In retrospect, sure, but the way you've put it makes the OP's hubby sound like bit of a doorknob. Not nice. I would say it would be easy to overlook at the time if you'd not dealt with anything like this before.

It blows my mind that this isn't common knowledge.

But you'll note that I wasn't disparaging the husband, I was just urging others to be aware.

Obviously there's one person out there who isn't aware of what should be done, so there may be others as well.

It blows my mind that this isn't common knowledge.

But you'll note that I wasn't disparaging the husband, I was just urging others to be aware.

Obviously there's one person out there who isn't aware of what should be done, so there may be others as well.

My husband was bit by a dog while rollerblading, and he didn't ask either. Had I told him it was common knowledge to ask such a thing, he would have felt quite dumb, adding insult to injury.

Anyways, you're right, people do need to be aware of this, but I would dare to say that a lot aren't, especially if they're not pet owners.

Someone has probably already told you this, but if you can not verify that the dog is current on rabies then your child should be treated.

Rabies can not be cured once symptoms show up. Or, it's only been cured once, that by putting the girl in a coma, and it hasn't worked since for anyone else.

Do not fool around with a chance of rabies. Yes, the chance is small but do you want to take it?

Different states have different laws about this.

A lot have mandatory reporting. Call the police (non-emergency) line and ask what you should do.

Our dog bit a boy who raced his bicycle between me and my special needs child (the dog was leashed but I had my back to the street). We reported it ourselves, called the police. We had to call a special number to report it. Then we had to take the dog to the vet to be tested, twice (about a week or two apart).

We did have rabies up to date. The boy did not need shots, but if the initial test had been positive he would have gone in for the shots.