Menu

At what age can kids go door to door selling fundraisers without mom and dad?

My boys are all involved in things that have yearly fundraisers. Oldest sells mulch and scout camp cards, younger two sell scout popcorn.

(anyone need mulch?) LOL

Anyway, after spending (so far) 5+ hours walking with my oldest selling mulch (and barely selling 4 bags-- uugh)

I was just wondering at what age do you let kids go door to door by themselves?

We've pretty much exhausted our neighborhood, so I have to drive him over to neighboring areas where he goes door to door...

I rarely worry about it, but tonight there was a group of four 13 year olds loudly teasing him for going door to door in his boy scout uniform, demanding boy scout cookies, following us the whole time. (and their mother heard this and did nothing)... it's things like THAT-- plus other crazies-- that make me want to always have an adult walking with him.... but maybe I'm too protective? If they were that bad with me around, how bad would they have been without me there? And we were in a very "expensive" neighborhood today... not our neighborhood, but a much nicer one.

I just wonder at what point you let your kids go out and sell door to door without an adult?

Well, where we live I would just have my dc go together. I think in my neighborhood I would have no problem with the dc going without adults as long as the oldest was at least 10 and the youngest was no younger than 7, and as long as they were paired up. If a child had to go alone, I think 12 would be reasonable. But I let my kids -- ages 6 and 8 -- take walks together regularly. I think it varies a lot by neighborhood.

In what decade is the question that sprang to my mind. While I think it is one of those things that is basically as safe as it always was, it just seems like it is not done much at all these days except for the scammy magazine and teens selling candy things.

Most organizations like Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts discourage or ban cold door to door sales unsupervised. Where I live, I doubt it would be worth the time to walk around looking for sales because of the busy streets and the hills.

I would see if he can set up outside of a store or something.

Edited by kijipt

I don't think GS even allows girls to go door to door without a parent at any age.

GS Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors (that's everybody up to 5th grade) must be accompanied by an adult. Cadettes, Seniors and Ambassadors must not sell alone, and must be supervised by an adult -- I've taken that to mean that the adult doesn't need to be standing right next to them every step of the way as long as they have a buddy with them who is 6th grade or older, so the adult could sit in the car, for example, while the kids go up to the house.

Actually entering a house is not allowed at any age.

Edited by GailV

Well, where we live I would just have my dc go together. I think in my neighborhood I would have no problem with the dc going without adults as long as the oldest was at least 10 and the youngest was no younger than 7, and as long as they were paired up. If a child had to go alone, I think 12 would be reasonable. But I let my kids -- ages 6 and 8 -- take walks together regularly. I think it varies a lot by neighborhood.

I see taking walks in a neighborhood as being different than going up to a door. Presumably if someone were to come up to kids on the street and try to grab them, they could yell or run away. But if you are at an open door, how easy would it be to haul them inside and lock the door, with no one the wiser.

Well, I remember going door to door selling things with my nieces (who are 20 and 15 now) when they were in elementary school. We sold cookies for GS, we sold savings cards for school, greeting cards to help raise money for a local nature sanctuary, candles to support the school orchestra...yeah, I think we probably walked from one end of our town to the other 500 times, lol.

In the area where I live, it isn't uncommon to see kids as young as 9-10 selling things for fundraisers in small unsupervised groups or even *gasp* alone. Then again, my neighborhood is within walking distance of several local schools (a elementary school, two middle schools, and a high school...AND two day care centers AND a Catholic day school) so everyone is used to seeing kids out and about by themselves 24/7.

I think that maybe 12 is the right age to start letting your kid do these sorts of things on his own...and by that, I mean "minimally supervised in a safe, semi-controlled setting". I'd try a small town near to where you live. Small towns are usually a bit more friendly and if it's a rural area or an area with a lot of older people who garden, he might have more luck selling mulch ;).

As for the scout popcorn situation, I'd be sending those forms to work with dh (or in my family, gma takes forms for any and all fundraisers to her work and leaves them in the breakroom for a few days, then brings them back to us at least half-full. :D) Or you could try convincing a few other families to set up a popcorn table a local store or the farmers market or something similar...

I see taking walks in a neighborhood as being different than going up to a door. Presumably if someone were to come up to kids on the street and try to grab them, they could yell or run away. But if you are at an open door, how easy would it be to haul them inside and lock the door, with no one the wiser.

That was why I mentioned going in pairs -- I imagine anyone who would grab a kid off their porch would think twice before grabbing a kid whose friend or sibling was standing out on the road and could easily run next door to say someone had snatched or harmed another child.

I know this sounds mean, but I wish they would eliminate door-to-door fundraising altogether. It is such a nuisance at certain times of the year when kids start showing up selling things I neither need nor want, but will buy anyway, because I feel sorry for the poor kids.

I just ordered several boxes of Girl Scout Cookies, but that was OK, because we like those... a lot. :tongue_smilie:

In my own neighborhood, as soon as I could trust the child to keep the records straight.

My kid sister did it a couple of times when she was 5. The read-a-thon and the bike-a-thon. She took in quite a lot because folks bid based on the assumption that she couldn't read/bike very much, LOL. She was a little mature for her age (cooked meals at 4, etc.).

It's not common in my area. I get Jehovah's Witnesses giving out tracts and the people selling meat out of the back of their truck. Scouts sell in small groups right outside of store entrances like grocery stores and Walmart. Can your boys do that?

And um.. mulch? Really? What a bizarre thing for kids to sell! :tongue_smilie:

We are selling cookies right now. My daughter is 9. We do go out in our neighborhood. I go with her of course. My son is 12, looks 15. I would go with him as well. You just never know. If my kids want to face rejection after rejection and still keep going, then I will support them and walk with them. Of course, I would rather not sell anything and just pay for my daughter's activities, but they push these cookies and prizes on them.

With cub scouts they can go door-to-door using the buddy system (another scout, akela or other adult) starting at Wolf, so in second grade and above they can go with another scout.....for Tiger cubs (1st grade) the parent/akela is supposed to go with them.

Cold sales at strangers' doors? Never.

Friends and neighbors? 9 - 10.

I don't think GS even allows girls to go door to door without a parent at any age.

:iagree:

I think selling to people they have familiarity with is a good skill to develop in terms of proper manners, salesmanship, getting over certain fears and feeling independent.

Re: selling to strangers, well, I guess I'd wonder at what age they'd be able to defend themselves from someone who had evil intentions. Evil people don't look evil at the door, right? They wait until you come in because they have to fill out a form or whatever, or pay the money. So we're depending on them to gauge at the door whether this person gives off a weird "vibe," maybe, and run away?

Or that they'd be old and strong enough to fight off someone who grabbed them? In packs of three boys I'd say the chances of safety go up, and the possibility of a triple tragedy (while still there) is more remote.

We are in the middle of Girl Scout cookie pre-orders, so I feel your pain. I walked through the slush with my girls for 3 hours yesterday. We DO go to unknown houses. The girls go up and ring the bell, and I stay about 10 feet back - far enough to indicate the girls are the sellers, close enough to intervene if necessary. My girls are 9 and 6.

I agree with previous posters that I would not allow my kids to go door-to-door selling alone at any age. Two 12 year olds could be okay, though.

For those who allow their kids to go alone door-to-door, I'm wondering, is it because the likelihood of running across a dangerous weirdo is so remote, or is it because you feel your children are old enough to handle a dangerous situation if one should happen to present itself?

For those who allow their kids to go alone door-to-door, I'm wondering, is it because the likelihood of running across a dangerous weirdo is so remote, or is it because you feel your children are old enough to handle a dangerous situation if one should happen to present itself?

Mostly, the former. Partly, the latter.

I remember being a kid. I went door-to-door alone for various reasons as young as age 7 (that I recall). Normally, I did not go inside homes, and since I was in a neighborhood where I was known by at least some of the neighbors, it would have been noticed if I'd been snatched and it would have been fairly easy to pinpoint where it happened. Nothing bad ever happened on these excursions, though, because people who want to bother strange children are extremely rare.

But once when I was about 6 and my sister 4, we were putzing in the neighborhood and a guy we "kinda" knew invited us inside. I knew it was a BAD idea, but my sister did not, so I went in to protect her. I figured out that the guy was up to no good and I got us the heck out of there before anything could happen. So yeah, kids have some sense of self-preservation by the time they are elementary-school aged.

The real danger your kids face is not from strangers, but from people they know who lack appropriate boundaries. It is extremely rare for strangers to bother children, but even to the extent that risk exists, it can be reduced by making sure (a) your child is known in the neighborhood, e.g., he goes for regular walks along the street, and (b) your young child stays in your neighborhood (generally) while conducting his business.