Menu

How do you all remember how you were taught?

I've read various threads here over the years where people say how they were taught all this stuff in school, going back to elementary school. How do you remember? I don't.

Tonight it was whether or not you use the zeroes when doing multiplication. If I had to guess I'd say we were taught to use the zeroes because I do use the zeroes, but I don't remember at all.

Am I the only one? Was I really that zoned out in school?

You know, I remember some things and not others. But the things that were challenging that I remember learning I can teach better because I can remember how hard it was to figure them out.

Mostly I can remember which teacher I had when I was learning something. So, for instance, borrowing and using zeros were my third and fourth grade teacher. SQR was my fifth and sixth grade teacher. Shakespeare was my senior AP teacher, and my ninth grade teacher.

I've read various threads here over the years where people say how they were taught all this stuff in school, going back to elementary school. How do you remember? I don't.

Tonight it was whether or not you use the zeroes when doing multiplication. If I had to guess I'd say we were taught to use the zeroes because I do use the zeroes, but I don't remember at all.

:lol:

I feel the same way!

I don't really remember the instructional methods of my elementary teachers either. I have memories like how strict my 5th grade teacher was especially about proper cursive handwriting.

So all I know about HOW they taught is by how I do things. For instance, I do not put zeros in when doing multi-digit multiplication so either that technique was not taught to me or it was and I ignored it? :D

I remember a little about junior high teaching techniques, especially grammar and math. I remember a great deal of high school and of course, college. But elementary? not so much.

I don't remember everything. Who does?

I remember a lot of history because it was my very favorite subject. Specifically, I remember the defenestration of Prague (because I thought it was funny) and finally making the importance between Martin Luther and Guttenburg inventing the printing press.

I always used the zeros in multiplication, but now that I am teaching my kids, I make sure to talk about place value.

When I was 18-20, I was in Navy Nuclear Power Training School. We took all kinds of physics, calculus, heat transfer, chemistry, engineering stuff, etc.. I can hardly remember any of it, and I passed with flying colors.:lol:

I think we, as adults, remember the things that were important to us. The things that meant something.

I consider myself somewhat smartish. I may not remember everything, but I can figure it out. I have no doubts about my ability to teach my dc.

I remember a lot. I had a great education in a strong small town school system. The teachers (except a few) were nice and caring, and there was plenty of money. The one area that they failed me in was history, but I even remember funny things from that. :lol:

What I remember most clearly was when something "clicked." The teacher who made Shakespeare fun, the year my English teacher beat grammar into us, our 8th grade math teacher who started an afterschool club so that we could play with math, etc. I remember the 2nd grade teacher who let me be the narrator for all of our class plays because I could read well, the 3rd grade teacher who set up a station with SRA reading cards for me to do after I finished my other work, the 4th grade teacher who let me work independently in math, and so on.

As others have said, I remember some things and not others. I bet you remember more than you realize, but the memories sometimes have to be triggered by things--a discussion, or helping a child learn something new. For example, I wanted to start DD9 on Singapore word problems, but I was completely confused by the whole bar model thing. I agonized over it all and was feeling rather adamant that I was never taught the bar models and I do just fine with word problems, blah blah blah. Ultimately, I made myself so crazy over it that I ended up switching from RightStart to Singapore entirely. Now we're working through Singapore PM 3, and we got to where I'd teach the bar models...and lo and behold, as I was teaching DD the method, drawing arrows instead of the brackets for the labels triggered the memory that I was indeed taught bar models in grade school! But I would not have remembered had I not followed that particular path from RightStart into Singapore :D

Some things I don't recall. I'm sure I learned phonics in early elementary, but I don't recall any specific things about that instruction. (I do, however, recall telling my first grade teacher about something I'd read in the Reader's Digest and her looking at me like I had three heads :lol:) I also sometimes find that I have memories of learning or doing something in elementary school, only to realize, when I really think about it, that the teacher or classroom I remember actually dates that memory to middle or high school. It's hard to know what's going to come swirling up from the vortex of our memories, you know? :tongue_smilie:

Some things I remember: Dick and Jane, from which I conclude that I was part of the failed Sight Reading Experiment. Learning the Palmer Method cursive in second grade in one school, and having to learn it again the next year at a different school because we moved, but it was Zaner-Bloser at that school. When the teacher corrected my upper-case F, I told her that was how I learned it, and she said, "NO, YOU DID NOT." I never liked that teacher. :glare: I also didn't know until many years later, when I was homeschooling, the names of the penmanship methods I had learned.

Spelling class in fourth grade, when we had to write stories with our spelling words, and I drew a boat and some fish for a bulletin board, where if we got 100% on our spelling tests our fish were out of the net, and if not, we were in the net. Fifth grade...all sorts of odds and ends from that, including the difference between they're, there, and there. Most of my memories from that year have nothing to do with actual school stuff, though. :D

I remember more clearly high school stuff, of course, 'cuz it wasn't quite as long ago as elementary. :) I had a wonderful class in seventh grade--Reading--in which I learned all sorts of things that still come in useful today: vocabulary words like brouhaha, and political terms like throwing one's hat in the ring, and how to research almost anything.

Not sure what y'all mean by using zeroes in multiplication, though. :001_huh: :D

My education involved a lot of copying notes off the board. Years of that will stick in your memory. :glare:

Rosie

Now that you mentioned it, oh the board!:001_smile:

I remember it very well, too well. The boy sitting next to me who kept trying to drill the hole in the wall, my super elementary teacher, countless poem recitations, the uniform and the cruelty of having to keep my hands behind my back for 45 minutes at a time, every day. :001_smile:

Not sure what y'all mean by using zeroes in multiplication, though. :001_huh: :D

Let's see if I can demonstrate this on an iPad.

_____

______

That bolder "0" is a place-holder. Basically I explain the problem as "(357x5) + (357x40)". That bolded "0" is just the ones place when multiplying 357x40.

Some things I remember: Dick and Jane, from which I conclude that I was part of the failed Sight Reading Experiment.

I was taught how to read with Dick and Jane. To this day, it takes me a bit to learn how to pronounce certain words. Science-fiction novels drive me nuts with all the strange planets and names. Usually dh will tell me what he thinks he says. It also makes teaching phonics a challenge. It isn't intuitive.

When I learned multiplication, we used zeros. I still use zeros.

Maybe your experience was normal or enjoyable. Others who remember may do so because it was horrible or tedious or overly enjoyable.

I had a horrific teacher for Math, so I remember those two years well. Dick and Jane was tedious and boring and painful, so it's easy to remember. That was a long time ago.

I don't remember much of anything... I'm the one that started the zero thread and I actually don't remember it being "taught" to me, but since I use them and I know what they mean, I must have been. I have absolutely no memory of being taught to read. My mom said that I was reading when I went to school, but she hadn't taught me. She said Sesame Street did. (It debuted when I was 2.)

One thing I DO remember was learning what a thesis statement was. I wrote a research paper and my dad looked at it to proofread it and asked what in the world I was trying to prove and where was my thesis statement. I didn't understand that concept at all. He spent the day explaining it to me. My dad was VERY smart. Intimidatingly smart. (Perfect SAT score, full scholarship to Yale as a math major! Yet painted and wrote poetry. Was also his class president and football quarterback. He was also bipolar, but I digress...) I only went to him if I was desperate because he would spend HOURS explaining a basic concept because he thought you needed to explain/understand all facets of it. You needed to understand the why and not just the formula. As a kid, I was a "get er done" kind of gal. I didn't want the why.

MMM and I wonder why my middle one's eyes glaze over as I try to explain the why of things.. Great..I have become my father...

Everything I needed to know I learned from my dear Mom. She taught me to read when I was four. I could count on one hand the number of teachers that actually "taught" me something useful. Reading took me everywhere, introduced me to new friends and ideas, etc.

How could all those years of public education result in such an unmathy person?

Bleh...

I remember quite a bit, BUT having an impressive memory runs in our family. My grandmother is turning 88 very soon and is as sharp as a tack. She can remember the weather in the summer of 1954 just as well as she can remember what she ate for dinner every evening last week. My late uncle and my mom have good memories. I inherited it as well. I can remember many, many things from the age of 4 on up. Obviously I don't remember everything, but I remember quite a bit. People sometimes look at me strangely when I pull out memories from preschool or kindergarten, but they're as vivid in my mind as the days they happened. *shrug*

I remember quite a bit, BUT having an impressive memory runs in our family. My grandmother is turning 88 very soon and is as sharp as a tack. She can remember the weather in the summer of 1954 just as well as she can remember what she ate for dinner every evening last week. My late uncle and my mom have good memories. I inherited it as well. I can remember many, many things from the age of 4 on up. Obviously I don't remember everything, but I remember quite a bit. People sometimes look at me strangely when I pull out memories from preschool or kindergarten, but they're as vivid in my mind as the days they happened. *shrug*

I have memories from that time period, but I do not remember being taught or how I was taught things. Of course, now that I think about, I began reading at age 3, so I didn't learn to read in school, and elementary school math was probably, well, elementary ;). Probably the only thing I didn't already know or didn't understand right away was some phonics/pronunciation worksheets I remember doing and totally failing. I just didn't get it. In fact, I only began to understand phonics and know the sounds of the letters when I began teaching my second child how to read.

Some things I remember: Dick and Jane, from which I conclude that I was part of the failed Sight Reading Experiment. Learning the Palmer Method cursive in second grade in one school, and having to learn it again the next year at a different school because we moved, but it was Zaner-Bloser at that school. When the teacher corrected my upper-case F, I told her that was how I learned it, and she said, "NO, YOU DID NOT." I never liked that teacher.

Oh, I had one like that. It wasn't academics though.

I came from the culture of the north eastern US and ended up transplanted in the south for a while. There was one teacher that wasn't pleased with my "attitude" because I would not say "yes, ma'am" or "no, ma'am." I was always taught "yes, please," and "no, thank you." That wasn't good enough for the old biddy.

The older I was the less I remember. So I remember quite a bit about elementary, less about middle, practically nothing from high school and only all the aggrevations from college plus a few novel things like learning to make rock tools in archaeology. :glare: I was excellent student, invited to join Pi Beta Kappa and graduating magna cum laude. I had a liberal arts education with a very wide base of knowledge. If only I could remember half the stuff I learned. Instead my head is full of useless bits of random trivia.

I think I remember details of what or how I was taught because of other circumstances. It was fun, interesting, or I was excited about it. I was bored, hated the subject, or I already knew it. The teacher said or did something that resulted in a strong emotion, or another student did or said something that stood out. I may not remember the actual teaching because I thought it was important, but maybe more that there was something else related to it, making me remember it.

I think I remember details of what or how I was taught because of other circumstances. It was fun, interesting, or I was excited about it. I was bored, hated the subject, or I already knew it. The teacher said or did something that resulted in a strong emotion, or another student did or said something that stood out. I may not remember the actual teaching because I thought it was important, but maybe more that there was something else related to it, making me remember it.

That makes sense.