Menu

For those who eat PB&J

PB & J on tomato basil bread  

1. 1. PB & J on tomato basil bread

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Obligatory other

If there was nothing else to eat it on and I was hungry and I had to? I guess so. Would I prefer to? No. So I guess "other" because it's not like "No way never no matter what," but it's not like "Yeah, sure, why not" either. :P

P.S. My favorite thing to eat PB&J on is Martin's Potato bread! After that would be white bread.

Edited by NanceXToo

Here's my reason for posting this.

So far of the 31 respondents, no one has said they would eat this, except Nance, who says she would if she "had to".

Our temple makes pb&j sandwiches after services every Friday night, and one of our congregants (a really cool older guy), drives around the areas of the city where the homeless congregate, and he passes out the sandwiches. People know he's coming by now, and they gather to meet him and get some food. Some local bakeries donate bread and the congregation donates the peanut butter, jelly and plastic baggies.

Last night, one of the loaves of bread was tomato basil. I smelled it as soon as I opened the bag. People started grabbing the bread and slathering pb & j on it. I said, "Hey, wait a minute! That's tomato basil bread. That's not going to taste good." One guy said, "Hey, they're homeless. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat it." I said, "Why don't we just give them the loaf of bread with nothing on it?" Everyone stared at me like I was the crazy one, and continued to make the sandwiches on the tomato basil bread.

So, just because they're homeless, they don't have taste buds? Am I wrong here? Why do I always feel like the weirdo in situations like this?

I find that sad. I would have backed you up and volunteered to run out and get cream cheese or something similar to use with that bread. I guess if I was homeless and hungry I would eat it, but I would be very wary about accepting any more sandwiches from that group.

So far of the 31 respondents, no one has said they would eat this, except Nance, who says she would if she "had to".

Our temple makes pb&j sandwiches after services every Friday night, and one of our congregants (a really cool older guy), drives around the areas of the city where the homeless congregate, and he passes out the sandwiches. People know he's coming by now, and they gather to meet him and get some food. Some local bakeries donate bread and the congregation donates the peanut butter, jelly and plastic baggies.

Last night, one of the loaves of bread was tomato basil. I smelled it as soon as I opened the bag. People started grabbing the bread and slathering pb & j on it. I said, "Hey, wait a minute! That's tomato basil bread. That's not going to taste good." One guy said, "Hey, they're homeless. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat it." I said, "Why don't we just give them the loaf of bread with nothing on it?" Everyone stared at me like I was the crazy one, and continued to make the sandwiches on the tomato basil bread.

So, just because they're homeless, they don't have taste buds? Am I wrong here? Why do I always feel like the weirdo in situations like this?

Um, no. You are not wrong.

We did something similar for a while. There was a local polish bakery that gave us their 'old' bread, and we made sandwiches for the homeless. (By we, I mean my family and any others who wanted to help). We made turkey and cheese or whatever, but still, I wouldn't have used tomato basil bread for pb&j.

And can I just say, their 'old' bread was just fine. I would've served it to my family.

I can't stand the 'they're homeless, they'll eat it if they're hungry enough' sentiment. They're PEOPLE, just like we are. I don't serve anything to the homeless that I wouldn't let my family eat. We're supposed to give CHEERFULLY, not give our nasty leftovers, for crying out loud.

Sheesh. Can you tell I feel strongly about this?! :D

You're not a weirdo. That's a crime against food. Thank you for being so respectful to the people you are helping. I cook for people without enough food and I'm constantly making sure they are enjoying the food. If we had a helper who was of the opinion that we could give them whatever nasty food because they were hungry and poor, I'd tell them that they if they don't have respect for the people we are feeding, they have no business being here. Much thought goes into the nutrition and the taste of what I make. Serving others should be done with care and love.

The tomato basil should have been sliced and served plain or maybe with butter.

When I was a kid my family would make deli sandwiches on yummy bakery rolls and pass out bags that had the sandwiches as well as some personal hygiene type items like a bar of soap, a comb, a toothbrush, and toothpaste. The facial expressions at seeing the nice sandwiches were always a treat.

I completely agree with you and I'm surprised you got no support from your fellow volunteers. I could see one or two people thinking "if you're hungry enough, anything tastes good," but really.

The reality is that like much of the food the government supplies to "hungry" people (school breakfast & lunch programs come to mind), much of what isn't tasty is going to be thrown in the garbage. That's unfair to the company that donated the bread. Assuming the bread was edible on its own (or with butter if available), it should not have been used in a pbj.

I find that sad. I would have backed you up and volunteered to run out and get cream cheese or something similar to use with that bread. I guess if I was homeless and hungry I would eat it, but I would be very wary about accepting any more sandwiches from that group.

Great idea! Next week I'd show up with a block of cream cheese, just in case.

For your poll, I'd eat tb bread with pb, but I don't think I could choke it down with pb AND j.

I used to work in a downtown area where there were always a few homeless around. I remember one day making an extra sandwich for my sack lunch, and giving it to one of them I ran into on the way into my building. Later at lunch, as I chewed my own sandwich, I realized I had over cooked the meat and it was pretty tough.

I can still remember being dismayed at the thought of the person I gave that other sandwich to feeling "second best" because I had given what turned out to be a crummy sandwich. It was a significant experience for me, leading me to always be prepared to give quality when I want someone to feel love and caring associated with what they've received to demonstrate my concern. (Note, quality doesn't mean expensive. It just means not giving someone something that might make them feel like I think they aren't worthy of first-rate stuff, kwim?).

Anyway, all that to say that I would have reacted as you did. Well maybe not... I might have been the crazy lady leaping across the table to recollect all the tomato basil bread.

It seems like the things I've heard about clothes. For example, giving the hand me downs that are in good condition to a friend, and donating those that aren't in good condition. If a shirt has a whole or a stain, I throw it away. It seems so thoughtless to give someone crummy food or clothes just because they have less. :(

Guest submarines
One guy said, "Hey, they're homeless. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat it." I said, "Why don't we just give them the loaf of bread with nothing on it?" Everyone stared at me like I was the crazy one, and continued to make the sandwiches on the tomato basil bread.

People who think this way don't sound very charitable to me. Disgusting and sad. "If they are hungry enough they'll eat it?" And everybody agreed? Who *are* those people?

Good for you for voicing your opinion!

Now, I voted that I would've eaten that sandvich, but I do have weird taste buds.

If a shirt has a whole or a stain, I throw it away. It seems so thoughtless to give someone crummy food or clothes just because they have less. :(

I guess it depends on whether they in fact have anything to wear. Perhaps they could mend the imperfect hand-me-downs or use them as pajamas or as material for smaller clothes, quilts, or whatever. I would leave it up to the potential recipient to decide whether my imperfect hand-me-downs are worthless. (Some of our clothes that we wear have holes and stains, so . . . .)

Some clothing donations go to overseas charities and such, to places where the alternative is to have no shirt at all.

I think the issue with the bread is that the volunteers took something edible and made it unpalateable based on their attitude that beggars can't be choosers.

I think the issue with the bread is that the volunteers took something edible and made it unpalateable based on their attitude that beggars can't be choosers.

This was the attitude that was expressed. Maybe someone else felt the same way I did, but didn't want to express it. I don't know. There was hardly anyone there at services last night because it was about 17 degrees F (that's about -8 C) last night and the snow was covering the roads faster than the plows could work. So, maybe if more people would have been there, I would have had some back up. Who knows. I just can't get over thinking that if I had to be out on the street on such a miserable night, and someone gave me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on bread that tasted like spaghetti, I would have felt extra miserable.

Ooh that mentality irks me. It is not jsut reserved for the homeless either. For years my mom bought me ugly crap on sale or at the good will, while she bought my sister really nice things. Like for example, one year we both were given new bath towels. Her's were plush and chocolate brown to match her bathroom decor. Mine were thin and lime green. My bathroom was Navy blue. Or she bought my sister a really gorgeous sweater that was softer than new kittens, and got me a hideous thing made for people in their 50s who are half blind to wear. I had a huge meltdown one year before xmas about it and told her to stop buying me gifts, I was going straight from her house to teh goodwill to drop them off most years (she would not give me the receipts to exchange). Her response "Well I figured you would just be grateful for anything because you are too poor to buy anything yourself" Yeah I am too poor to notice that I was getting crap, that I would never use anyway. She has improved since then, very much so.

I worked a night serving hot food to the homeless. A bunch of us got together to all cook some hot meals and got permission to set up a table at a location where they normally congregate and serve them. 1 lady burnt her food and brought it anyway saying "they are homeless they won't care". We refused to serve it. Though I have to admit I was tempted by a few of them. All they did was complain about the quality of the food as it was. It was in January and -25C and they complained that the biscuits were too hard, um yeah they had frozen, and that the foods were seasoned enough etc. Keep in mind it was all fresh and cooked as if we were serving our own families. In fact we all had tasted each others first and they were all delicious. I was so tempted to give the burnt crap to those complainers ;) But I would have felt that way about anyone complaining about decent food being served to them, no matter if they were homeless or filthy rich.

As to the original OP question, Tomoto basil bread is delicious with roast beef etc on it, I would not go it with PB&J.

Bethanyniez, I chuckled about your "old" bread. I don't think we have ever had fresh bread unless we have been at someone else's house. We always buy the discounted bread that is 1-2 days old. My kids could not get over how soft the bread at my mom's was when wee stayed there. Normally when you get the 1-2 day old stuff it is part way stale already and not very soft.

I worked a night serving hot food to the homeless. A bunch of us got together to all cook some hot meals and got permission to set up a table at a location where they normally congregate and serve them. 1 lady burnt her food and brought it anyway saying "they are homeless they won't care". We refused to serve it. Though I have to admit I was tempted by a few of them. All they did was complain about the quality of the food as it was. It was in January and -25C and they complained that the biscuits were too hard, um yeah they had frozen, and that the foods were seasoned enough etc. Keep in mind it was all fresh and cooked as if we were serving our own families. In fact we all had tasted each others first and they were all delicious. I was so tempted to give the burnt crap to those complainers ;) But I would have felt that way about anyone complaining about decent food being served to them, no matter if they were homeless or filthy rich.

Yeah, this can be discouraging. DH and I have discussed this and come to the conclusion that it is our responsibility/right heart attitude/whatever you want to call it, to be generous-minded. It is the recipient's responsibility to accept graciously. I can't make anyone appreciate what I give, but I can continue to do what I have been convicted is the right thing to do, despite whether or not it is accepted with grace.

I always wonder, anyway, if the grumbling and complaining isn't some kind of emotional defense mechanism, kwim?

You are a good soul!!! Bless you!

Last night, one of the loaves of bread was tomato basil. I smelled it as soon as I opened the bag. People started grabbing the bread and slathering pb & j on it. I said, "Hey, wait a minute! That's tomato basil bread. That's not going to taste good." One guy said, "Hey, they're homeless. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat it." I said, "Why don't we just give them the loaf of bread with nothing on it?"

I agree with you, and I wonder, then if the point is just that any food is acceptable (or any half-way nourishing food is), why put the jelly, then? It's just sugar.

Oh yes!!!! Cream cheese and even maybe cucumber slices would have been a lovely sandwich. When we serve, aren't we to still use the "Golden Rule" type of serving?

I believe your right; serving these sandwiches may have stopped hunger, but it wasn't done with total kindness :(

Okay, this reminds me of a good story my son relayed to me. There was some type of overnight/weekend church gathering, I think it was more than one night and it was requested they bring food for the hungry. Come evening someone asks what's for dinner and the guy in charge said, I don't know what did you bring.~groan~ Yes, he made them eat the food they were going to give to the hungry, that food that sits in the back of the cupboard that no one wants to eat. I guess the first night wasn't so bad but it was downhill from there. I think they learned a lesson!

Dd says, "Yeah, but I'm weird." :D This is the child who dips her pb&j sandwiches in ranch dip.:confused: She has *ahem* unusual taste. I don't think just the pb would be that bad, since one of my favorite dishes from the local Thai restaurant has tomato slices, basil leaves, and peanuts. But jelly? That just sounds icky.

I think you're right that what you do with it makes a difference. Unsweetened peanut butter, caramelized onion jam, red pepper jelly? Could be good. But if you've got Skippy and grape jelly, it probably won't turn out well. And making something edible but unpalatable is, as several have said, not especially kind.

I voted other because.... well, I would eat it with jelly if I were hungry enough. I would eat tomato-basil bread happily with just peanut butter. But I just don't like jelly...

I would probably hand these sandwiches out to the homeless, but let them know that the bread was a little odd in case they want a different one. Some folks won't care, and some may like it, and some might prefer more typical bread. Give them a choice, but I wouldn't waste the bread.

I shop for a food pantry and sometimes we can only get whole wheat bread from the day-old bakery. It's not very popular here and makes our clients unhappy when it's the only choice. Balance that against some of our volunteers who think the ONLY bread we should buy is whole wheat because it's healthier. You just have to do the best you can with a good heart.

I guess it depends on whether they in fact have anything to wear. Perhaps they could mend the imperfect hand-me-downs or use them as pajamas or as material for smaller clothes, quilts, or whatever. I would leave it up to the potential recipient to decide whether my imperfect hand-me-downs are worthless. (Some of our clothes that we wear have holes and stains, so . . . .)

Some clothing donations go to overseas charities and such, to places where the alternative is to have no shirt at all.

I think there are plenty of perfectly good, untorn, clean used clothes. No one needs to settle for stained/torn. For kids' clothes, if it's something meant to be worn hard outdoors, then I would pass it on, but otherwise, not knowingly.

Okay, this reminds me of a good story my son relayed to me. There was some type of overnight/weekend church gathering, I think it was more than one night and it was requested they bring food for the hungry. Come evening someone asks what's for dinner and the guy in charge said, I don't know what did you bring.~groan~ Yes, he made them eat the food they were going to give to the hungry, that food that sits in the back of the cupboard that no one wants to eat. I guess the first night wasn't so bad but it was downhill from there. I think they learned a lesson!

I love this!

Actually most clothes that are donated end up being recycled. The ones that go overseas are sold. And this has killed the domestic textile industry in many African countries.

The Truth About Where Your Donated Clothes End Up

Independent Lens has a show called T Shirt Travels about this.

And it does cost money to get rid of all these extra clothes.

The Goodwill operation in Boston, for example, spends $300,000 annually disposing of items that don't meet its needs. And the California arm of the organization spends a whopping $7 million a year in dumping costs.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030126&slug=axdonation26

Edited by stripe

And it does cost money to get rid of all these extra clothes.

The Goodwill operation in Boston, for example, spends $300,000 annually disposing of items that don't meet its needs. And the California arm of the organization spends a whopping $7 million a year in dumping costs.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030126&slug=axdonation26

Well, maybe someone needs to get smarter about getting stuff to people who can actually use it. There are people who can use some imperfect hand-me-downs.

(Of course, the "dumping costs" surely include the salaries of the folks who do the work, and that's the entire point of Goodwill - giving folks work to do - isn't it? Every other business fills up garbage bins; that's not necessarily a problem.)

Point is, I believe in giving the disadvantaged an opportunity to decide whether they want what I am done with, or not. I am not going to lose sleep over the fact that they might have to expend effort in deciding what they do not want.