Menu

How hard is it to remember to take something out of the freezer for dinner

I used to have this problem, but found a solution that works for me. Since we started buying our meat in bulk, I just make menus for the week and then immediately get the meat we'll need for those meals out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator.

ha ha i only remember when I actually write it on my to do list, I am better of taking it out the night before when i am thinking about what I am cooking for dinner. So while I am cooking tonight's dinner I am thinking ahead to tomorrow's dinner and take out meat right then to thaw for the next night. It works really well for the most part.

Really, after 20 years of homeschooling you'd think I would have this down to a science, but most days I'm still trying to thaw chicken or that made-ahead casserole 30 minutes before we're due to eat. Shesh.

Same here. I'm terrible about that.

I used to have this problem, but found a solution that works for me. Since we started buying our meat in bulk, I just make menus for the week and then immediately get the meat we'll need for those meals out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator.

Yes, but that still requires advanced planning....not the usual 5:30pm "Oh carp, what are we going to have for dinner? Everything is frozen solid.":D

You really do have the right idea MamaT. I am sure it is soooo much easier and healthier to have things planned out. I am inspired now!

Re thawing chicken. We almost exclusively buy chicken tenderloins now instead of full chicken breasts. The tenderloins thaw much quicker; we buy the multi-packs at Costco and cut off one or two of the packs for dinner. Submerge unopened packs in cold water a few minutes. Of course, if you're thawing a whole chicken, you're out of luck because it takes quite awhile even in a cold water bath.

Really, after 20 years of homeschooling you'd think I would have this down to a science, but most days I'm still trying to thaw chicken or that made-ahead casserole 30 minutes before we're due to eat. Shesh.

Hard. It doesn't enter the radar on my list of priorities, and defrosting is almost always an afterthought.

On the other hand, I can look at what does actually get done around here, and I'm happy! (Usually, it's not the tangible stuff anyone can see though.)

:001_smile: