Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 1: Ready, Set, Read!

Oh my word! This thread is huge!

I have discovered the key in reading multiple books in one week: go on a road trip! I have just come home after a three week trip to Ontario, Canada and have spent the last 4 days in the car. As a result, I have read 2 1/2 books already for the week.

I have completed "Sisters in the Wilderness" by Charlotte Grey (biography of Catherine Parr Trail and Susannah Moody--Canadian pioneers) and "On Chesil Beach" by Ian McEwan (well written but I found it to be a story of futility) and am in the midst of "The 39 Steps" by John Buchan.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my word! This thread is huge!

I have discovered the key in reading multiple books in one week: go on a road trip! I have just come home after a three week trip to Ontario, Canada and have spent the last 4 days in the car. As a result, I have read 2 1/2 books already for the week.

I have completed "Sisters in the Wilderness" by Charlotte Grey (biography of Catherine Parr Trail and Susannah Moody--Canadian pioneers) and "On Chesil Beach" by Ian McEwan (well written but I found it to be a story of futility) and am in the midst of "The 39 Steps" by John Buchan.

prairiegirl:

Yes, Buchan's 39 Steps mystery is spell-binding. (He was as well the Canadian Governor-General who initiated the Literary Awards, of course...)

This is my first post! I'm looking forward to fully participating in the challenge.:lol:

Week 1: State Of Wonder by Ann Patchett

I loved it!

Week 2: Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante

I was able to read 1/4 of the book in one hour. So far it is easy to read while still captivating my interest.

This is my first post! I'm looking forward to fully participating in the challenge.:lol:

Week 1: State Of Wonder by Ann Patchett

I loved it!

Week 2: Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante

I was able to read 1/4 of the book in one hour. So far it is easy to read while still captivating my interest.

TX6: Hi, how are you doing? I've not read either of those titles, actually.

I read Household Cleaning from the Self-sufficiency series today. It was interesting, and I'm going to try some of the homemade recipes.

Today I read Beekeeping in the same series. It didn't go into a lot of detail,but it confirmed that I want to look into it more. It took several years to talk Dh into chickens. How long do you think it would take me to get bees?

1. Weirdly felt like it was shifting the blame for a suicide needlessly onto kids' shoulders.

I read this last year. I enjoy seeing how people interpret things differently. :)

Personally, I felt the book showed how the way we treat people has a much greater effect on them then we know, rather than assigning blame. I thought about that for several days after I finished the book which was a positive aspect for me. Some of the scenarios reminded me of my own high school experiences so I could relate. Maybe that's what made it different for me. Not trying to start an argument, just my thoughts.

Edited by luvnlattes

Hi, all. I started a few books between Christmas and New Year's. The first one I already finished: As You Do by Richard Hammond (Top Gear UK). I'm still reading The Blue Sweater (about microlending and helping women in Africa) and Give Them Grace (parenting book).

Wendi

I'm reading Quest for a Maid by Frances Mary Hendry

(children's book, 270 pages, so

it counts) about Scotland in the time of Robert the Bruce.

It is very well written but I am not enjoying it.

There's so much suffering and hatred and death in it.

I don't know how it ends yet...

I'm reading Quest for a Maid by Frances Mary Hendry

It is very well written but I am not enjoying it.

There's so much suffering and hatred and death in it.

I don't know how it ends yet...

jhschool:

Well, that's how it is; welcome to the Middle Ages, unfortunately.

I just finished Quest for a Maid by Frances Mary Hendry

It is very well written. It is definitely full of mature

topics like death and suffering and hatred, so not

for young kids.

I would have liked a story with more historical

significance though. It is a very good book, but

I would have liked to learn more history.

I would have loved it when I was a young girl.

I live there! :D

Excellent, excellent facility! :lol:

:lol:

Finished The Children's Book by AS Byatt yesterday. I started it in early December when I got it from Paperbackswap.

Ooh, I finished that a few weeks ago. How did you like it?

Now I'm reading Island of the Blue Dolphins, as a preread for my DD. So far I'm feeling pretty 'meh' about it, but I'm not too far in so we'll see how it goes...

My DD, who is doing the challenge with me, is reading The Phantom Tollbooth and really loving it.

Island of the Blue Dolphins and Phantom Tollbooth are two of my all-time favorite books! I actually bought a beautiful hardcover copy of the Phantom Tollbook when I was in my early 20s and still single to give to the children I'd someday have :lol: And DD9 is currently in the middle of IotBD right now!

Well, I already feel way behind! I was sick with what my mom is convinced was food poisoning for the past three days and am only now beginning to feel human again. I did manage to finish Salvador, but I want to go back and skim a few parts again--reading in a cramped, nauseated, and feverish state is not really great for comprehension! I also hope to post a review soon, if I can find a few minutes between visiting with our visiting relatives and rewriting all our science plans for the rest of the year.

Sadly, SeĂƒÂ±or Quixote and I are not making much progress. I simply wasn't up to spending much time with him this week!

Well, that's how it is; welcome to the Middle Ages, unfortunately.

After reading The Gulag Archipelago, I'm inclined to think the Medievals would have considered the Twentieth Century to be a cesspool of violence, hatred, suffering, starvation, mass murder, and torture as a standard interrogation technique.

After reading The Gulag Archipelago, I'm inclined to think the Medievals would have considered the Twentieth Century to be a cesspool of violence, hatred, suffering, starvation, mass murder, and torture as a standard interrogation technique.

:iagree:

Sadly, I don't think some human techniques & ways to harm each other really change all that much throughout history. There is brutality in every era, just slight variations on how it's administered. Humans can be very scary beasts.

This week I'm reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I'm on the hunt for more challenging books that are engaging for DS9, so I plan to do quite a bit of pre-reading for him over the next few months. Hopefully that will yield me a list that keeps him busy for awhile so I can read some books I've been wanting to get to.

Finished Eragon last night. It was a good read, and I kept thinking that the author seemed like he was finding his voice. Imagine my surprise when I read on the back flap that the author was 16 when he wrote the book! It definitely put me in mind of the McCaffery books I read in my teens, and I have recommended it to DS9.

Next book up is Anne Perry's Acceptable Loss.

Wow, 8 pages and I have the long pages. I knew in the back of my mind that it would get long as it always does when we start out, but I've been busy & trying to stay on schedule with everything as I made some New Year's resolutions. Help--I don't have time to read all 8 pages. I'm reading Moby Dick--have you started the discussion on this yet????? If so, I'll try to catch up on Sunday. Please let me know :).

Also, I know this was last years, but I wanted to respond here.

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place

That book was a hit here, too, and there's a sequel. Even my teen girls read it. I gave it to one of my nieces.b

#5 read- very quick read since it was mystery candy= D.C. Dead by Stuart Woods. He puts out many books a year so he writes them very quickly too.

Next up will be either the Ruth Rendell or the Sue Grafton. I think I will take Sue Grafton with me to hopefully the last DMV visit until at least 12 months.

Book #2

Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry by Katrina Kenison

This small book is a collection of the author's essays on mothering. I found the book rewarding and introspective. I could only read a few essays at a time because I felt there was so much to digest, particularly in how I could incorporate peacefulness into my home. A couple of my highlights included keeping the Sabbath, honoring the dailiness of life, and story-telling. There were a few parts that left me scratching my head. Judging by the title, I thought this book was geared towards those who profess a belief in God. However, the prayers she shares do not mention or thank God, but rather seem to focus on nature. *shrug* It's not a deal-breaker for me, and I would simply replace her prayers for my own. I enjoyed the book and could imagine re-reading it in the future as a reminder to stop and smell the roses with my children.

----

I don't want to give anyone a false impression of my reading habits. I tend to read several books at one time and then finish them all around the same time (normally right before they are due back at the library). You'll probably see several reviews in a short time span and then a long break while I read through several more books. :001_smile:

I finished Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees. Overall, I liked it fairly well & think it would appeal to fans of historical fiction &/or Mozart fans. It would probably also appeal to those who have enjoyed Dan Brown's book as it's a bit similar in style (Masons, secret symbols, influential men, etc...).

Rees included some really lovely little touches & details that made the historic setting shine (emerald green wine; the many times that church bells ring in the city; ...). I found some of the historically accurate points quite interesting, including that Mozart belonged to the Masonic order & that he pushed for an order that would include women as equals. Otoh, the story is told from the viewpoint of Nannerl (his sister) as if she was visiting Vienna after his death in order to investigate his death/murder. Historically speaking, she never did this; even though it's historical fiction, I feel like that's a pretty big leap to make (the main action/character being fictionally put into the setting, including an illicit liasion :glare:). I guess I like my historical fiction to feel about 70% true, 30% fiction; I felt this book was more of a 50-50 mix between truth & fiction.

I also read a completly frivolous book today: Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them by Clinton Kelly. (Did I just admit to reading that??? :lol:) It's politically incorrect, scathing, rude (plenty of swearing too) & pretty d*mn funny, imo. The photos are very amusing too. I definitely had a few lol moments. Oh, and... uh, I think I need to go to my closet now & toss a couple of items. :001_huh::tongue_smilie:

My Goodreads Page

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (HHH 1/2)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (HH 1/2, if you're in the right mood, lol)

Edited by Stacia

Just an update. Finished 2 more books for a total of 3 this year.

The Happy Room by Catherine Palmer

"Sent off to boarding school at a tender young age, each of the Mossman children believed their parents had abandoned them. Peter turned from God in anger, while Julia embraced her childhood faith. Now, drawn together by their sister's tragic illness, they must face the truth of their past. As they make peach with each other, and with their parents, they discover the God who never left them."

It was an ok book. A bit too predictable as far as the main plot but the subplots kept it going.

Don't Kill the Birthday Girl: Tales from an Allergic Life by Sandra Beasley

Part memoir, part informative/scientific (regarding food allergies). A friend whose 3 children have food allergies mentioned it in passing so I picked it up at the library. It really makes you think. Definitely recommended for those who have food allergies themselves or in their children and those who are concerned about it. There's a whole (very interesting) chapter on peanut allergies.

Just started reading Jodi Picoult's House Rules and am enjoying it so far but probably won't finish it until next week.

Sue

I also read a completly frivolous book today: Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them by Clinton Kelly. (Did I just admit to reading that??? :lol:) It's politically incorrect, scathing, rude (plenty of swearing too) & pretty d*mn funny, imo. The photos are very amusing too. I definitely had a few lol moments. Oh, and... uh, I think I need to go to my closet now & toss a couple of items. :001_huh::tongue_smilie:

I read that last year. I laughed a lot. I liked it. I love Clinton Kelly.

If you did like it though (despite it's R rating for language :tongue_smilie:), my little sis was very complimentary over the holidays of Fforde's other book The Big Over Easy.

Now, see, I LOVE Thursday Next, but I haven't enjoyed the Nursery Crimes series as much.

I started the year off with a little candy (like doing dessert first?). I read the second book in Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices series, The Clockwork Prince. It's a steampunk-ish YA novel, prequel to her Mortal Instruments series. I'm enjoying these a lot, and I finally got my son hooked, which makes me feel less guilty about buying the hardcovers.

I started Hard Times (Dickens) but am having a little trouble getting into it. I think I'm still feeling lazy from the holidays.

So, instead I'm reading The Tragedy of Arthur, by Arthur Phillips. This one is a lot of fun so far, and I'm looking forward to reading the play, itself, later in the book.

I have this book that sits on the shelf in our school area. It's called The Book of Great Books. I picked it up from a bargain table several years ago, and we've used it a lot for background on school reading. It has entries for 100 classics, of which I have read 47. Therefore, my personal challenge for this year is to read at least 10 more works from that list.

To that end, I will be reading Death of a Salesman with my daughter next week. She's reading it as part of her self-imposed theatre study, and it happens to be one of the 100 that I haven't read. (Actually, it's possible that I did read it when I was hiding in the library at my high school. However, I've also seen the play performed, and I can't remember for sure whether I did read it. So, I didn't check it off when I went over the list.)

OY! I just finished this book too. Remember the thread a couple of weeks ago when I said my younger sister who gave it to me was a "prude" and wouldn't gift me a book with potentially objectionable material? Well, I guess I was right about the s*x, but mistaken about the language. Who knew? I thought to PM you right after I finished, but I guess you beat me reading it anyway. Overall, I thought the book was off beat and witty, but maybe a little too quirky at times. Will I read the rest of the series? Doubtful. It just isn't my cup of tea. If you did like it though (despite it's R rating for language :tongue_smilie:), my little sis was very complimentary over the holidays of Fforde's other book The Big Over Easy. Here's a description from The Wall Street Journal:

In The Big Over Easy, Fforde takes a break from classic literature and tumbles into the seedy underbelly of nursery crime. Meet Inspector Jack Spratt, family man and head of the Nursery Crime Division. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s investigating the murder of ovoid D-class nursery celebrity Humpty Dumpty, found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. Yes, the big egg is down, and all those brittle pieces sitting in the morgue point to foul play.

That's funny that we were reading it at the same time! :D Like I said, if the whole book would have been like the last 74 pages I would have been hooked. Unfortunately, it wasn't. That bad language bit in the middle was so unnecessary anyway. Bleh!

The description of The Big Over Easy sounds funny, but so did the description of The Eyre Affair. Oh, well, I think I have better books to read anyway.

33 pages! WHOA! That is WONDERFUL! Hope it stays like this all year!

I am so impressed with all the reading everyone is doing.

I am SO hoping that this week is not a portent of this years' reading for me... I still haven't finished book one and normally I would be on at least book two, if not three by now... Just an extra busy week but generally I can fit in reading - I mean, it's READING (almost synonymous with life and breath)! One more day to finish the book and I sure am trying. :001_smile:

Cool beans! Thanks!

Looks really good... adding it to my never-ending list....

Ohhh, I've been wanting to read this one too. Let me know your final verdict, ok? :001_smile:

Finished Skippy Dies today. In one word, WHOA. What a weird, twisted, wonderful, effed-up, roller-coaster of a book. Unlike anything I've ever read. VERY VERY VERY graphic- lots of s*x and dr*g content, lots of high school boy content ;). But AH-MAY-ZING. Music, string theory, farts, suicide, anorexia, love, philosophy, Frisbee. Wow. I need to read some fluff now. :lol:

Friday Nook and Kindle Deals

Nook Free Friday - I Used To Know That: Stuff You Forgot From School by Carol Taggart.

Friday Kindle Deal - Deadly Currents by Beth Groundwater for $0.99. Cozy adventure mystery

Thanks for posting that! As a nook newbie I only found out about Nook Free Friday from another of your posts linking to it (which I saw on Saturday) and would have kicked myself if I missed out on this one too.

I started Don Quixote this week and started and finished Ender's Game. Interesting read. I could see Card's reasoning that he didn't think like a child, but I think that's universal. No one thinks, "hey, I'm a little kid so I've got to act like one." They're making a movie soon about it and they're making Ender older. I think that might be more believable. But a good story. Not sure if I'll read the sequel because I've heard it's not quite a sequel.

I finished Love and Respect last night and started Making Haste from Babylon: The Mayflower Pilgrims and Their World. It's a bit of a change, but I like it so far.

I didn't really like Love and Respect. I think the premise of the book of loving a wife and respecting a husband was fine, but I didn't see (at least in my marriage) how everyone fits into the mold he describes. For example, he says that women are more verbal and therefore when there's an argument the wife wants to talk about it to reestablish love. A husband will stonewall and close down. But with me and my husband, I find that to be the opposite. That's just one of the parts of the book that I found didn't really apply to me. So I tried to take the good and leave the non-applicable advice. It was okay, I'm pretty indifferent about the book.

1. Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires, the Respect He Desperately Needs by Emerson Eggerichs

Well, I didn't finish my book. My dd is still home on break and returns this week and I'm getting my brain around cranking school up again. THAT coupled with the fact that I distracted myself with starting two more books.

:lol:

But....I'M READING!! :)

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters - the first Cadfael mystery. A reread (though it's been 15 years) and a quick read, but I recently started watching the PBS series with Derek Jacobi on Amazon streaming and got in the mood for it.

I finished King of the Wind as a read aloud with the kids this week. And am about 1/2 way through Healing the new childhood epidemics... and also just started a Dean Koontz title "What the night knows".

The Healing the new childhood epidemics book is a very good read and is actually the second book I have read that makes the connection between ADHD and autism spectrum disorder. A lot of what I have read thus far seems to be in agreement with what my own observations have been but talks of the reasoning behind why things are showing that way (as in discussing dopamine and serotonin levels, IGE levels etc). So far a pretty good title. Definitely looks like I have been on the right track for treating ds and even explains why the ritalin he was on caused the rages the way they did. His dr had never seen anything like it before and this book addressed why that happens (and pointed out that when this usually happens it turns out the child had either previously been diagnosed on the spectrum or had been on it but was never Dx, and that those children had had their Dx onthe spectrum removed and changed to ADHD after the behaviours in question changed, usually due to parental work and change of supplements etc, Ds had previously TWICE been Dx with PDD-NOS and twice had it recinded. He still shows spectrum quirks, but is not severe eneough to be onthe spectrum), what this book was showing of behaviour of these kids, response to the typical treatment, and even what med actually works until you heal the rest of the issues (it happened to be the particular med I have been argueing with the dr to start ds on). All in all so far a great read for parents that have difficult to Dx and difficult to help kids that have issues spanning across multiple Dx.

King of the Wind was not bad. My daughter was all over it as she loves horses and this book tells the tale of the history of the Godolphin Arabian.

What the Night knows I jsut started last night. I have not read enough to really comment on it, but I suspect that like more Dean Koontz titles I will love it.

I just finished Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. I was slightly disappointed. I'm still trying to figure out why. I probably need a week to determine this due to my giving up caffeine. ;) I am now starting The Magic Of Reality by Richard Dawkins. I am very excited to read this book.

I finished: 1) Midummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare. LOVED IT.

2) Little Women by Alcott I have read this multiple times, but this time I listened with dc and it was so sweet. I hope it is on their all time favorites list and they read it with their dc.

3) Longing by Karen Kingsbury. Sigh. 3rd in the Bailey Flanigan series. It was a formula read, and I don't think I like how this series is going to end.

2. The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church's Conservative Icon by Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan

1. Thrush Green by Miss Read

Thrush Green is a charming book, sort of like an English Mitford. I enjoyed the Mitford books more, but I'll keep an eye out for other books in the Thrush Green series. Good if you want a curl-up-in-front-of-the-fire-with-a-cup-of-tea book.

The First Paul was interesting. I enjoy Borg's work, but I was not sure he could change my mind about Paul. He did. :D I would like to read a book on Paul from a different theological perspective (perhaps Catholic or EO) to get another view.

So far

1. Thirteen Reasons Why (see earlier post with feedback)

2. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett: delightful, moving, well-written, fantastical, imaginative. THumbs up.

3. Welcome to the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Liked but didn't love this one. The beginning was very good, and there were sections that were amazing and evocative. But overall, I didn't connect to the story or the characters particularly deeply.

4. Currently Reading Sh*t My Dad Says

Finished Skippy Dies today. In one word, WHOA. What a weird, twisted, wonderful, effed-up, roller-coaster of a book. Unlike anything I've ever read. VERY VERY VERY graphic- lots of s*x and dr*g content, lots of high school boy content ;). But AH-MAY-ZING. Music, string theory, farts, suicide, anorexia, love, philosophy, Frisbee. Wow. I need to read some fluff now. :lol:

This sounds good...going to see if my digital library has it!

ETA: digital doesn't, but regular does. Will be picking it up next week. Thanks!

Edited by Halcyon

I've got about 75 pages left of Shanghai Girls by Lisa Lee and I am absolutely loving it! It is one of those books that you don't want to put down because you love the characters so much. I plan on finishing it tonight and starting 11/22/63 by Stephen King tomorrow.

Hello everyone! I've always wanted to join you on this journey but was never reading enough to keep up. Then in 2011 things picked up and I was able to read over 30 books in the 2nd half of the year alone. VERY exciting for me...I have missed reading and I'm glad I've found ways to fit it into my day.

I'm catching up on lots of things I've missed, so I'm not really a "current bestseller" reader and I rely on the library exclusively.

So far in 2012:

Finished:

Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone (my oldest has been begging for years--finally did it)

Currently reading:

My Name is Asher Lev --for a book club, not sure what I think yet.

Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society--audio in the car, enjoying learning about the German occupation of the Channel Islands.

Thanks for letting me come along for the ride! I'll try to figure out how to keep up with the conversation and weekly posts.

This sounds good...going to see if my digital library has it!

ETA: digital doesn't, but regular does. Will be picking it up next week. Thanks!

You both had me at "farts and suicide and frisbee." That sounds too weird to pass up!

I will add that Devil in the White City is fabulous so far. It's non-fiction that reads as good as almost any fiction I've read and it's CREEPY.

Ok, I actually managed to read two books this week...Her Mother's Hope, and Her Daughter's Dream, both by Francine Rivers. I really enjoyed them both, enough that I had to read the sequel once I had finished the first one. I can't say that I really identified with any of the characters, but it was interesting to see how the family dynamics played out over multiple generations. I was surprised to read in the back of the first book (less surprised to read it in the back of the second book, lol!) that a considerable amount of the story line was taken from the author's own family. The books made me think about my own upbringing, and my mother and her mother's upbringing, and how each of our relationships with our own mother affected the relationship we each had with our daughter. Overall it was a very engaging read, with an unexpected ending to the second book.

1. Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

2. Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers

After I finished the above books I attempted to read Delivery, by Diana Prusik. I made it 20% of the way through the book and had to delete it from my Kindle. It had no story line, boring characters that did not seem to be remotely authentic, and did not hold my attention. It was just plain boring.

Book #3: At Home by Bill Bryson

It's difficult for me to sum up this book. Basically, Bryson looks at the history of each room in the home. How it came about, what was done in the room, etc. Surprisingly, it is oddly and extremely fascinating. He reminds me of a history teacher than has a knack for bringing history alive. I apologize for not being more specific, but the book's topic was so wide it's hard for me to nail anything down. Everything from mousetraps to wallpaper to architecture - British and American - it's just all over the place in a wonderful, trivial sort of way. Sometimes the topics tend to jump around a bit and the flow isn't great, but it's good nonetheless. And pardon me for saying, but I think it would make a great bathroom-reading book.

A little side note for those following the Moby-Dick challenge. At one point in the book Bryson comments that a book called The Whale was a colossal flop in England, despite books about the natural world being all the rage. It was renamed and released in the US as Moby-Dick, where it was also a colossal flop. I got a chuckle out of that and am now reconsidering the challenge (even though I have started Ahab's Wife and am enjoying it).