Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 1: Ready, Set, Read!

ETA: Oh good grief, I've messed up already. All the links below are to Amazon. From now on, I'll link to my blog page review.

I'm joining! I don't normally read one book a week. I'm more of a three-at-a-time gal, but it works out to be approximately one per week.

1. Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry by Katrina Kenison I expected the usual mother-fluff book; I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

2. At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson I'm finding it fascinating. I keep reading parts of it aloud to my DH.

3. Little Sugar Addicts: End the Mood Swings, Meltdowns, Tantrums, and Low Self-Esteem in Your Child Today by Kathleen DesMaisons Yep, feeling the need for this after a sugar-filled Christmas season.

And two more books that don't count, but I am really enjoying:

Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider New Year's resolution and all that jazz.

Wooden Bowls from the Scroll Saw: 28 Useful & Surprisingly Easy-To-Make Projects by Carole Rothman I got a scroll saw for Christmas. Made a trip to Home Depot tonight, and I'm all set to start on the first bowl tomorrow.

Edited by thessa516

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it looks like I'm the only one reading utter rubbish :o

I finally gave in and started reading the Twilight series to see what all the hype was about. I'm on the 4th book and I still don't see it :confused:

It's a badly written teenage romance and I can't stand the two main characters - especially the girl. She's so lame. How adult women were so crazy over this story I don't know.

(And yet I still had enough interest to continue to the end of the series :blush: but it's honestly one of the worst things I've ever read - over half the books are declarations of soppy love:glare: - it makes me want to throw the book across the room).

See and I loved these books! I didn't expect to and totally respect that opinion. I am not into vampires and honestly cannot see myself getting into any other of this kind of book but it was something different. Once I was into them I had to finish them.

I call this kind of reading mind candy. It is not a difficult read just many many pages. Book 1 and 3 (I think) were my favorites. I enjoy them but I also enjoyed Pride and Prejudice this week too! I like reading all types of stuff.

So it looks like I'm the only one reading utter rubbish

I finally gave in and started reading the Twilight series to see what all the hype was about. I'm on the 4th book and I still don't see it :confused:

It's a badly written teenage romance and I can't stand the two main characters - especially the girl. She's so lame. How adult women were so crazy over this story I don't know.

(And yet I still had enough interest to continue to the end of the series :blush: but it's honestly one of the worst things I've ever read - over half the books are declarations of soppy love:glare: - it makes me want to throw the book across the room).

I read those about a year ago -maybe longer - and I so agree with the bolded. I'm in shock that so many grown women think they are wonderful. I would punch Bella in the face.

Ahhh. It's the book I love to hate! I tried reading it a couple of years ago when it was first so popular & found it to be total junk. (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some junk reading, like reading vampire stories, etc....) This book is just so wrong in many ways (poor writing quality, horrible characters, ...). When the dude started glittering in the clearing, I was DONE. :tongue_smilie:

(I won't get on my soapbox right now, but I do have serious issues w/ a book where the main character should be arrested for stalking behavior & I find it sad that this book is promoted to teen girls as romantic. No. It's not. Women in real-life situations like this often end-up getting restraining orders & still end up maimed or killed by their 'so-called' romantic partner [husband, boyfriend,....]. By promoting the belief that relationships like that are 'normal', 'romantic', etc..., books like this are doing the teen population a huge disservice, imo. Grrrrr..... Ok, I'll zip up before I really get ranting on it. )

Yeah, I know, I'm not opinionated or anything....

:iagree: and I'm so happy. I have some fb friends who LOVE this book (adult women, of course!) :glare:

The picture below describes how I feel about Twilight. :tongue_smilie:

My next book is going to be Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. Food has always been an issue for me, and I desperately want to become healthy this year. I've heard great things about it. Fingers crosssed that it will guide me to a better life!

I would like to read Made to Crave as well! I had actually forgotten that it's on my list! :) Thanks for the reminder.

I've been pondering reading the Twilight series just because it's so much a part of our culture right now but from what I've read, the message of the books would drive me NUTS.

And I like the saying comparing Harry Potter and Twilight in that the former was all about growing up and fighting the forces of evil and scarficing for friends and the latter was about finding a creepy boyfriend. :lol:

So I've avoided them.

I am curious how a woman gives birth to a vampire and I don't think I'll ever really read the books so if anyone wants to spoil it and PM me, that would be GREAT!

(Does the baby eat the placenta instead of the mom?? :D:D:D )

I've been pondering reading the Twilight series just because it's so much a part of our culture right now but from what I've read, the message of the books would drive me NUTS.

And I like the saying comparing Harry Potter and Twilight in that the former was all about growing up and fighting the forces of evil and scarficing for friends and the latter was about finding a creepy boyfriend. :lol:

So I've avoided them.

I am curious how a woman gives birth to a vampire and I don't think I'll ever really read the books so if anyone wants to spoil it and PM me, that would be GREAT!

(Does the baby eat the placenta instead of the mom?? :D:D:D )

Don't even get me started.

It's ridiculous. :D

Woot! I'm so excited to start!

As usual, I several books on the go this week:

Don Quixote -- Cervantes

The Republic -- Plato

Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia -- Lubov Millar

I'm not sure I'll finish any of them this week, so I may read something else as well.

Maybe you bookworms can help me with a slight problem I have. I just got One of Our Thursdays is Missing from the library without realising that it's the sixth book in a series (Thursday Next, I think it's called). If you've read the series, do you think it's important to read the books in order?

Happy reading everyone!

The picture below describes how I feel about Twilight. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I think you might really enjoy this article: What Would Buffy Do? :001_smile: (This post sums up much of what I find disturbing about the whole Twilight phenomena.)

How about a challenge called, "How riled up can we get the classical educating Moms?!? Come and read Twilight with us!"

:lol: For the newer folks on this thread, I promise I'm not this argumentative all the time. (However, I'll also gladly argue against The Hunger Games. Another horrific item, imo.) :D

I'm putting on my flame-proof suit right now.... flamethrower-2.gif

I'm starting out with Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. This is one of the many classics that I've never read. I hope to get through all of her books.

This thread is already giving me incentive to read more this year. I think I've added about 10 books to my wishlist from this thread alone. Looking forward to reading about your books each week!

I started reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie; it's about Nigeria in the 60s-70s and the Biafran independence movement. I think it's going to get really sad really soon, but the first third is interesting.

My other plans are to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for fun, and these for my various challenges...

Phantom of the Opera

Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy

Aeschylus' Oresteia

I just finished book 1 of 52.

It's Chasing China: A Daughter's Quest for Truth by Kay Bratt. Just after Christmas I found it listed on the top free Kindle books, so I grabbed it. Last night I noticed that it was no longer free. I suppose books come and go on the free list, so I try to check it often.

My dh left today, and I probably won't see him for a couple of months. :( Hopefully I'll find something light to read tonight.

WOW! This thread got long quickly! Is it always like this at the beginning, or do we have a much larger group for this year? I didn't start in January last year.

I had a week off from reading, as I finished my 52nd book a little early. As always when I take a break, I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about a book again, and have to force myself to read x number of pages a day. Luckily after a day of doing this I am already enjoying this week's book: The Groom to Have Been by Saher Alam. It's a novel about an arranged marriage in the US-Canadian Muslim Indian community. I picked it up randomly off the library shelf.

WOW! This thread got long quickly! Is it always like this at the beginning, or do we have a much larger group for this year? I didn't start in January last year.

I believe there were a lot of participants in January last year too. I forgot to count and post a month or two in last year. I wish I hadn't let it slide, because I certainly read a lot of books!

I surprised myself and read all of Nurtureshock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman this evening. I wish I had skipped Dweck's Mindset last month and just read the chapter about it in this book instead. I would have spared myself all of the contorted possible applications of the research to real life stories. Usually I like those, but it was too much. Anyways, I found most of this book to be interesting and useful. Some of it doesn't really look like it applies to my family and our lifestyle, but I did still enjoy it. Now I can't wait to see what will be debunked by new research in 10 years. I enjoy these types of books, but they have a short shelf-life. ;)

So...

1. Nurtureshock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman

Edited by beaners
Ctrl V is not my friend.

:lol:

I think you might really enjoy this article: What Would Buffy Do? :001_smile: (This post sums up much of what I find disturbing about the whole Twilight phenomena.)

:lol: For the newer folks on this thread, I promise I'm not this argumentative all the time. (However, I'll also gladly argue against The Hunger Games. Another horrific item, imo.) :D

I'm putting on my flame-proof suit right now.... flamethrower-2.gif

Oh, thank you.

I did enjoy it! :) :lol:

First timer here-

Starting Paradise by Toni Morrison.

Finishing up What Einstein Told his Cook and Your Money or Your Life

Doing as read alouds Calico Bush, The Struggle for a Continent by Albert Marrin and the first Harry Potter book.

Glad to be participating! Carole

I am already off to an odd start.

I just finished Water for Elephants. I am counting it even though I didn't start it today.

I am reading The Poisonwood Bible and The Kite Runner and counting our read aloud, Young Fu as well. So my first 4 books are chosen and up and running.

Dawn

My dd10 said she will do this with me :D (maybe it will help motivate her to finish books) She will start with The Son of Neptune which she got for Christmas.

My brand new Kindle is loaded, now to decide what to read... I'm 74% through Eragon (which I have read before, so I won't count it). I'll probably have my first book be Eldest.

I think I'm in! I didn't join last year, but came close at 46 books in 2011. I read 53 in 2010, so I know I can do it. I don't know what to start with though, I just finished The King's Speech and loved it. And I'm in the middle of a historical fiction series that takes place in the 1960s, but I don't have the next book and the library's closed tomorrow. So I'll probably start Eldorado, the sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel. Then David McCullough's newest is on the pile.

I'm new to the challenge this year - I'm hoping it motivates me to read more often!

I currently have eight (..yeah) books on my "Currently Reading" list, but the two I have been actively reading recently are Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.

Here goes nothin'!

New here this year. I'm not sure I can do a book a week, but I'll give it my best shot!

I am currently reading Heaven is for real. Its a cute light read that makes my heart jump for joy!! I am also finishing Unconditional Parenting.

I have a bunch of your rec's on hold at the library. What I read next depends on what comes available :)

Chandi

So it looks like I'm the only one reading utter rubbish :o

:lol: I have re-read the whole series enough that 2 of my books have lost their covers. This is my go to series when I want brain candy and want to read without a lot of thought.

I'm in this year. I'm thinking about the Ahab's Wife/Moby Dick thing. Maybe I'll read Ahab's Wife with you all and save Moby Dick for... later. I had some reading plans that Moby Dick would definitely cut into. I feel I have to either skip Moby Dick for now or abandon everything else I was excited to read. I guess that's a decision I'll make when we come to it!

I'm starting off with Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. A friend loaned me this book, encouraging me to read it, so I thought it would be a good one to start off the year with. So far it seems to be about living with nature instead of against it.

I'm also starting Land of Lincoln by Andrew Ferguson. Actually, I'll be starting it right after I finish this post!

My dd10 said she will do this with me :D (

Mine too - I should have posted her book. She is reading I Spy - The Constantinople Caper by Graham Marks and listening to The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I need to decide on another assigned book for her, too. I have Puck of Pook's Hill by Rudyard Kipling but my last choice (The Swiss Family Robinson) nearly resulted in mutiny, so if she doesn't enjoy it I will let her look for something free to read on the iPad/iPhone.

I'll also be reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

The first 100 or so pages are not the easiest to read. It gets better. Hang in there. :)

It's a badly written teenage romance and I can't stand the two main characters - especially the girl. She's so lame.

You're better than me. I couldn't even finish the 2nd one. I loathe these books.

82401868151637071_9hyDQHVf_c.jpg

My first book for the New Year will be Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom.

Margie

Margie, I love Mitch Albom books. :) The movies are very well done also. The ones that have movies, of course.

However, I'll also gladly argue against The Hunger Games. Another horrific item, imo.) :D

I won't even go near these. :glare:

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Reading challenges, how I love thee.

I am working on The October Daye series, on the latest one, One Salt Sea.

I started last year in love with Harry Dresden and have found a fair few good paranormal writers since.

This is my Goodreads shelf for this year.

This was my 100+ page for last year if you are looking for any ideas. :)

It was a rough year so I didn't read a lot of heavy anything. This year isn't looking much better so though I have some deeper reading on my TBR list, I may very well skip them.

1st up after October Daye? A reread of The Return of the King.

I'm in this year. I'm thinking about the Ahab's Wife/Moby Dick thing. Maybe I'll read Ahab's Wife with you all and save Moby Dick for... later. I had some reading plans that Moby Dick would definitely cut into. I feel I have to either skip Moby Dick for now or abandon everything else I was excited to read. I guess that's a decision I'll make when we come to it!

I'm starting off with Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. A friend loaned me this book, encouraging me to read it, so I thought it would be a good one to start off the year with. So far it seems to be about living with nature instead of against it.

I'm also starting Land of Lincoln by Andrew Ferguson. Actually, I'll be starting it right after I finish this post!

Well, we'd love to have you for Ahab's Wife! :)

And I read Ishmael a few years ago. That and his sequel had me walking around in a fog for weeks. I've never quite looked at money and food the same way.

I'm joining in again after fizzling out rather quickly last year. I kept reading, but I didn't keep up with what I read.

I started this year with Water for Elephants because I had it on my Kindle. I REALLY loved it. My grandfather ran away to join the circus when he was a teenager, so I got to imagine him encountering some of these characters.

My extremely short review is here.

I'm looking forward to Ahab's Wife and I love getting ideas for books from you guys, so keep 'em coming!

I'm reading the Art of Family by Gina Bria. I'm loving it so far though am only on p 20.

I also started Healing Back Pain Naturally by Arthur H. Brownstein. Actually, I skipped straight to the stretching exercises and am now backtracking to read the earlier chapters. I like what he's got to say, though of course the jury's still out as to whether it'll actually help me and my back pain.

I'm amazed at how much you all seem to read. WOW.

Am I the only one that has this thread open in one window and my library account open in another so that I can search for and request titles that look interesting in this thread? :tongue_smilie:

Goodreads and Amazon, as well, lol.

I just downloaded Ahab's Wife via Kindle and I would really like to read Alice in Wonderland this week.

I got Lit! for my dh for Christmas based on a rec from Tim Challies. He is really liking it so far, and I am going to dive in as soon as he's done.

That's why I bought it too!

I'm liking it OK, but I've read several better-written explanations of the concept of "Christian worldview" so I'm having a hard time forcing myself through this section. I think once I do I'll like it better.

And, this comes out wrong, but I weary of books written to the Christian market that feel the need to write to non-believers and go through the Gospel. Don't get me wrong, I love the Gospel, but does every book written *for *Christians have to ponderously explain it as though we don't know it? Can we possibly write it as a reminder not a tract? Maybe that's wrong of me.

Lit! A Christian Guide to Reading Books. All three of those are now on my favorite books ever list, and so the end of the year was a wonderful grand finale.

Ah, hope that I might start enjoying Lit! Good to know :)

Now, I'm reading 18yos's favorite read last year, Unbroken. And he's reading my favorite read from last year, Island of the World.

I have Unbroken on my shelf (gave it to my dad last year and he loved it, I'm a bit daunted by the darkness). As you know, Island of the World was my favorite (fiction) last year, too ...

Glad to see you back. I'm planning a Susan Howatch read-a-thon for the year.

Book 1 - finished up The Old Man And The Wasteland - It reminded me a lot of The Road but not as well written. I would have liked to see the characters developed more. Not a bad read, though.

Book 2 - I'm in the middle of Life Of Pi it was on sale for .99 and so I thought I'd give it a try. The beginning was slow, but now it's picking up and I should finish it before Wednesday.

Book 3 is going to be Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep as I just got notification that it is available to download from the library. YAY! :D

This week I decided that I needed something light to read since I am starting school back up with the kids and trying to get back on a regular schedule with my part-time job, so I am reading Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers. The book is long, but it seems to be a rather easy read, so chances are I might actually finish it by week's end! :lol: When my life is a little more organized and settled down I might attempt a book that requires some thinking...we will see if that ever happens....:lol:

I tried this last year, and while I probably read more than 52 books, I always forgot to write about them here.

I'm going to try again this year. I'm starting with Pride and Prejudice because that's what both my high schoolers are reading right now. After that, it will be something I haven't read yet. I'm getting a lot of good ideas here. I'll try reading Ahab's Wife with you guys, too.