Menu

Any school or routine changes for after Christmas break?

profmom

I promote in January. (Don't really do 'grades' but will start Year 5 curriculum from AO and LCC.)

I am planning on working towards DS being a bit more independent in his studies, so that will affect our schedule/routine.

I have also started a whole new method for how I do lesson planning and am very anxious to implement it. Giddy, actually. :lol:

Yes, I always tweak and make a few changes. In fact, I have some blog entries on this topic coming up during the break. Priorities and Passions, Creating a Workable Routine, and Implementing a New Routine are my 3 entries for next week. (I seem to be feast or famine when I blog, LOL!).

We'll be changing one curriculum, and I'll be looking at the order of our routine to see if anything needs to change there.

Have fun planning! Merry :-)

I promote in January. (Don't really do 'grades' but will start Year 5 curriculum from AO and LCC.)

I am planning on working towards DS being a bit more independent in his studies, so that will affect our schedule/routine.

I have also started a whole new method for how I do lesson planning and am very anxious to implement it. Giddy, actually. :lol:

Oooooh...what's your new method? :D Also, how are you helping your ds to become more independent?

I'm planning on re-reading/skimming First Things First and talking with my ds about how to apply these concepts to his school work (instead of working on what's due first and then catching up with what's due next, etc., which isn't working for him).

Yes, I always tweak and make a few changes. In fact, I have some blog entries on this topic coming up during the break. Priorities and Passions, Creating a Workable Routine, and Implementing a New Routine are my 3 entries for next week. (I seem to be feast or famine when I blog, LOL!).

We'll be changing one curriculum, and I'll be looking at the order of our routine to see if anything needs to change there.

Great! I'm heading over there now to read these -- exactly the kinds of things I'm working on. :D

Merry Christmas, Merry!

I've finally finished my first 6 weeks lesson plan for Science (DIY), we're adding in some formal writing(ILL and DIY). Starting AAS which a CO-OP friend loaned us:D, Dropping SOTW for DD.... I like it, she doesn't. Finishing up MCT GI, Integrating Oxfords History in Ancient Times with K12 HO, starting an art class. Lot's of stuff.

We are going to work on diligence in January. My girls have started wasting lots of time throughout the day. Some of that time is wasted looking for missing materials, so we will also work on being organized.

We are also going to work through one of MCT's writing books because I happened upon it free at the library! :D

Most of what we've been doing is working well for us, other than the plain fact I bit off more than we can reasonably chew, LOL. I think we'll slow down with AAS (been doing 3 steps a week bc we started late on it). They're getting into more challenging material there now, so time to slow down a good bit. DD9 also got the Artistic Pursuits art program for Xmas, so we'll see if we can add that in with anything resembling a schedule.

I think, overall, I just need to relax a bit and stop trying to get so much done each week. It may take us an extra month at the end of the school year to finish everything up, but I think it's a good trade-off if we get to enjoy our work along the way.

I plan to stop Phonetic Zoo and go back to AAS when level 7 comes out, depending on what it looks like.

I am switching our schedule around. But I feel I need to do that every couple of months anyway. Always tweaking. We will start earlier in order to be able to be finished when we add some mid-afternoon extracurricular activities.

I plan to stop Phonetic Zoo and go back to AAS when level 7 comes out, depending on what it looks like.

And we are going to give WWS a go. I think ds is ready.

I am switching our schedule around. But I feel I need to do that every couple of months anyway. Always tweaking. We will start earlier in order to be able to be finished when we add some mid-afternoon extracurricular activities.

They aren't up yet, the first one comes up on Monday.

Ah...ok! :lol: I went there and started reading other entries, and then we started our Christmas Eve activities! So, I hadn't gotten to the point of noticing that those posts weren't there yet!

I look forward to reading tomorrow! Thanks! :)

More sofa, less kitchen table. ;)

We will be switching from Math in Focus to Singapore. Not a giant leap, but a bit of one.

I'm going to add a vocabulary program.

I will be requiring everything to be written in cursive one or two days a week. Until now, ds has only been doing copywork/dictation in cursive.

My older son will be attending a b&m school. This means that I will be able to do "distracting" things with the younger one that I never would have attempted before--more hands-on work, videos, reading in front of the fire, and so forth.

We may even make a foray into unschooling...

Our schedule just wasn't working and we weren't getting to the fun stuff enough, so I'm going to give a loop schedule a one month try. If we like it we'll keep it (I hope we like it because if we don't I'm out of ideas)

Our dailys will be

Math

Spelling

Grammar (for older two)

Phonics (for youngest)

Our lop will be

Writing

Reading

Science

History

Geography

Foreign language

Art

Music

I've also decided at we will go bowling every Wednesday afternoon at the base bowling alley. I may also add educational board game to our loop since we have lots of them and it could be a great way to supplement or reinforce areas.

My baby just gave up his two-hour morning nap. We had been getting all our schoolwork done during that block of time (with the 3-year-old coloring with us or playing nearby). Now that I have both the little ones up in the morning, I just can't handle the idea of taking two whole hours away from them. I've reworked my schedule so that we do just the basics in the morning (math, language arts, writing) and then we save the remaining work for the afternoon when the little ones are napping. This should leave me plenty of leftover time in the morning to read and play with the little ones or even take a trip to the park.

We're making quite a few changes here.

We had a school meeting and decided we would do Math as our first subject everyday and read alouds last, no specific order for the in-between subjects. We also decided to change the consequences posted for breaking rules. It will now be reminder, reminder, gain a chore which is pretty much what it was before I posted rules/consequences anyway. Makes sense to me that if they are taking up a hunk of my time with unnecessary behavior instead of being productive during school they can make it up after by taking on some of my work.

We took a vote to switch from Core 100 American History to Story of the World Middle Ages.

I've been using Singapore, Math Mammoth, and Basic College Math. I plan to use only Basic College Math for the remainder of the year.

I purchased Getting Started With Spanish and I'm excited to start this with dd. We've been using Spanish For Children. I'm hoping the short, easy lessons in GSWS will help us get Spanish done. We both really want to learn the language.

We're going to use the Young Scientist Club Kits I have. They read from a Foresman Science textbook almost daily, but we just aren't doing the experiments I had planned. Hopefully the kits will help. It will be random and not related to what they're reading, but I'm okay with that.

I'm going to have some big schedule changes. I will be going two days a week to help my parents who live 3.5 hours away. The kids and schoolwork will go with me, so I'm going to be figuring out schooling on the road, away from home, and busy days when we are home. I have a thread asking for advice on what subjects to really put my focus with ds if anyone wants to chime in there, too! Any advice is very much appreciated.

We are hoping to add in Greek sometime in January or early Feb using Hey Andrew. At some point I want to add in VP SP History which we haven't been able to afford this year so far but really want to do. I had already bought the book package and decided to go ahead and get a head start on those. They said in their Christmas video that there will be a surprise in January and one in May. If the surprise in Jan is SP Bible then we will do that too. Can't wait to hear about that! For preschool we are hoping to add in MP's preschool with our AARPL1. Other than that I think we are set.

The one bigger change we are doing is changing the way we do our Memory Work time. I think it will now look like this:

1. IEW Poetry together

2. CC Scripture Memory together

3. Memory Work Notebook (Scripture Memory and Catechism) together

4. Science Acts and Facts cards together (CC)

5. VP Timeline cards together

6. Quick review of current week's memory work together (CC)

7. CC Mapwork

8. CC Grammar chart write outs

9. Review independently their CC flashcards using a system similar to AAS Spelling boxes (review, mastered, future lessons, and one tab for ready to test when they have a card they think they are ready to pass). They will review their cards in the review section by themselves and then I will test them. I think I will add in MP Recitation cards too somehow. My non-reader will work with me.

It's the review box that I'm excited about. I think it will be a great way to review what they don't know until they've mastered it and not waste time on mw they already know by heart......We'll see how it goes....

stm4him

Well, we will be making some big changes as soon as I find time to sit down and 'think' on paper. I need to reevaluate what really needs emphasis and also consider each child's gifts to see how to best meet their needs in those areas. I had a wake up call during this break that Dd's education is not going to be like Ds. She played piano at our church's candlelight service this year. She is obviously gifted in the areas of music and art. She needs more time devoted to these.

I'll also be looking at areas of weakness that need more attention. Then I'll have to figure out how to fit it all in. :glare:

I need to discuss extracurricular activities with Dh and make some decisions. We cannot continue with all that we have currently and Ds needs to decide where his focus will be as he approaches high school.

Needless to say, I've got a lot of things to consider and I am not looking forward to it because there are a lot of difficult decisions that need to be made.

Just read Priorities and Passions and it echoes my own thoughts for revamping our days. Thanks!

ETA: Can you post here when the next articles are up? I'm going to need all the help I can get for creating a workable routine!

Edited by shanvan

Oooooh...what's your new method? :D Also, how are you helping your ds to become more independent?
Independent:

DS loves to learn *what he wants to learn* (on his own time) but is terribly "dependent" for everything else. Having him be 100% independent is not a goal that I have (plus, I use a lot of teacher intensive programs), but I do want/need him to start being more in control of his time and schedule.

I'm not too sure what it will look like yet, though. I need to go through our school books this week and figure out a plan. In my head (my plan is...), I am going to give him a weekly checklist on Sunday night - it will include supplemental stuff at first, ie: science and history extras, research topic, etc.

I always feel 'behind' in regard to DS being independent, but was so encouraged after listening to SWB's audio on the topic.

New planning:

I took this planner from Donna Young

http://donnayoung.org/f11/planner-f/kh/daily-blue.pdf

and redid it according to the subjects that we study. First, I deleted the color - need plain white background! Instead of little box to check if the subject was done, I increased the size of that check space so I could write in the time we were planning to spend on that subject.

(Last year, I was really getting frustrated with how long our school days were going and I was getting upset that we never seemed to have enough time. I finally decided to time all of our lessons for two weeks... I realized that the 15 minute spelling lesson I planned was really 25 minutes, 30 minutes for science always stretched to an hour, etc. Being honest with myself about how much time subjects took was eye-opening for me and totally changed our school days!)

We school year-round, starting in January. We live in a low-reg state, but I still try to get 180 days of school in - 160 at home, with remaining field trips/educational travel/outside classes. I just have one homeschool student and love to be flexible, but - after five years of homeschooling - am realizing that I need to plan better and be better organized. I always end up in November stressed that we didn't end up where I wanted us to be. All that to say...

I made a new planner.

I broke our year into 6 terms - 22 days of planned school, with 4 extra days. We will use the 4 days as 'carry over' for stuff we didn't get done or for extras. (Home ec, additional art, poetry, possibly creative writing, etc.)

I have a set goal - or focus - for each term and those will shift/change through the year. (Ex: heavy grammar focus first two terms, heavy poetry focus third term, etc.)

The six terms are spread over, basically, 11 months. (We take most of December off.) I am hopeful that by having checkpoints along the way (end of each term) that I will stay on course and won't be so stressed. I don't know. This is new to me...

I do like to plan on paper, with pencil, so I can change if something comes up or we have a sick day.

The planner page above can be customized if opened as a doc. I changed it a few times and tested it our last month of school and made adjustments as needed. I then printed and put in three-ring binder with six tabs to break the year into terms. Term one is Jan 3 to Feb 24 -- we should get in 26 days easily, yet still have time for field trips and outside activities.

I also planned for 3.5 hours of school at home (8:30 to noon) on days when we have outside activities. (Most of our outside activities start at 1.) But I have a list of 'extras' to do on a rotating schedule for days we are home and can do 4-4.5 hours of school.

Probably too much info. Sorry.

Independent:

DS loves to learn *what he wants to learn* (on his own time) but is terribly "dependent" for everything else. Having him be 100% independent is not a goal that I have (plus, I use a lot of teacher intensive programs), but I do want/need him to start being more in control of his time and schedule.

I'm not too sure what it will look like yet, though. I need to go through our school books this week and figure out a plan. In my head (my plan is...), I am going to give him a weekly checklist on Sunday night - it will include supplemental stuff at first, ie: science and history extras, research topic, etc.

I always feel 'behind' in regard to DS being independent, but was so encouraged after listening to SWB's audio on the topic.

New planning:

I took this planner from Donna Young

http://donnayoung.org/f11/planner-f/kh/daily-blue.pdf

and redid it according to the subjects that we study. First, I deleted the color - need plain white background! Instead of little box to check if the subject was done, I increased the size of that check space so I could write in the time we were planning to spend on that subject.

(Last year, I was really getting frustrated with how long our school days were going and I was getting upset that we never seemed to have enough time. I finally decided to time all of our lessons for two weeks... I realized that the 15 minute spelling lesson I planned was really 25 minutes, 30 minutes for science always stretched to an hour, etc. Being honest with myself about how much time subjects took was eye-opening for me and totally changed our school days!)

We school year-round, starting in January. We live in a low-reg state, but I still try to get 180 days of school in - 160 at home, with remaining field trips/educational travel/outside classes. I just have one homeschool student and love to be flexible, but - after five years of homeschooling - am realizing that I need to plan better and be better organized. I always end up in November stressed that we didn't end up where I wanted us to be. All that to say...

I made a new planner.

I broke our year into 6 terms - 22 days of planned school, with 4 extra days. We will use the 4 days as 'carry over' for stuff we didn't get done or for extras. (Home ec, additional art, poetry, possibly creative writing, etc.)

I have a set goal - or focus - for each term and those will shift/change through the year. (Ex: heavy grammar focus first two terms, heavy poetry focus third term, etc.)

The six terms are spread over, basically, 11 months. (We take most of December off.) I am hopeful that by having checkpoints along the way (end of each term) that I will stay on course and won't be so stressed. I don't know. This is new to me...

I do like to plan on paper, with pencil, so I can change if something comes up or we have a sick day.

The planner page above can be customized if opened as a doc. I changed it a few times and tested it our last month of school and made adjustments as needed. I then printed and put in three-ring binder with six tabs to break the year into terms. Term one is Jan 3 to Feb 24 -- we should get in 26 days easily, yet still have time for field trips and outside activities.

I also planned for 3.5 hours of school at home (8:30 to noon) on days when we have outside activities. (Most of our outside activities start at 1.) But I have a list of 'extras' to do on a rotating schedule for days we are home and can do 4-4.5 hours of school.

Probably too much info. Sorry.

Not the one who originally asked, but I found reading through this very helpful- thank you so much for taking the time to type it out! :)

I plan to revise ds's school schedule/routine over the break. Just curious if others are also planning to make some changes for after the break.

Merry Christmas!

Every year we make at least one major change after the break. This year, I asked DH if that means we're flighty, and he said no, we're flexible.:D

My oldest is going to take the VP History Transitions class starting January 23rd. This means MAJOR changes to both our schedule and curriculum. Because of this, we're scrapping MFW ECC. I could have continued on with my youngest, but she thought it was incredibly boring, so we're going to do GTG instead.

My 11 yo will be adding WWS as well as Intro to Greek with Landry Acadmey. I'm also adding in sequential spelling for him and organizing his free reading to co-incide with hx more (we finally got what's left of our library out and in bookshelves since the fire again- it's like seeing old friends).

I want to add a lit program for 8yo (thining Hx of the Horse) but I am feeling tired and don't want to do all of those read-alouds.

17 yo will add 2 classes with Landry academy, and participate in yearly one act play and Poetry Outloud.

I'm officially slowing our HOD history pace down to allow for the toddler's interruptions, ds' vision therapy exercises, and other necessary appointments that have been happening of late. Bible, history and science were rarely getting done, but I think they will this way. Ds is pausing Singapore 2A to practice his math facts with a chunk of the Complete Book of Math Gr. 1-2. He has done a different workbook all through December and it is definitely helping his speed :). He's also going to add A Reason for Handwriting A and I will scribe for his grammar and reading workbook. He started cursive first, and his copywork is coming along nicely, but he prefers to use his self-taught printing, so I guess I'd better work on that. Though it may not be necessary - he got Mad Libs Jr. for Christmas and has copied more on his own for the past 2 days than I could have ever imagined, lol.

Yes, very much so. We've been more or less unschooling besides the 3 R's, but we're returning to more of a Classical base. We're going to so the rest of the year focused on prehistory, blending history and science, then in the fall we'll start back up with ancient times. My goal is to get a full rotation done in 3 years, so that by the time ds10, who is in 5th grade now, hits 9th grade, he'll have had exposure to the full history cycle. We'll probably blend science with history for some time, rather than studying the separate disciplines.

So, in a nutshell, we'll going to try full throttle education after the holidays!

We're making some changes here. We'll be following a more formal loop schedule (we've always done that informally), adding in formal Geography (not just Evan-Moor, but using Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia, doing notebook pages, mapwork, labeling and research), dropping formal Vocabulary (we'll use Latin more specifically for derivatives), doing more Science and History and switching to MM from SM...

Whew!

We've never changed up in January before, so this will be interesting!

It's great to see all the changes everyone is making! It gives me energy (and hope) for ours.

**We are changing quite a bit. I started Five in a Row with my younger son, but only rowed one book and then just read a couple of others. I'm going to get back on that, but actually add my older son in. I'm not sure if I will have him do as many of the books as younger ds. I will do it a bit differently with him, though. He will do more additional reading on his own, a bit of research, and some writing. These are all things I wanted to include in his work, and I think FIAR will be a nice gentle way to get him going.

**We are going to start inquiry based science. Science will also be scheduled four days a week and I think it may be our first subject of the day.

**We will continue with studying both Ancients and American history, but will be doing more notebooking along with that.

**Writing-I'm still on the fence about this, but I think I will be adding in a writing program (?WWE ?Bravewriter Arrow ?The Creative Writer??)

**Younger ds will be starting CLE math. Our previous math choice for him was a bomb here (Study Time Arithmetic). So, I'm switching him over to what I'm using with older ds.

**Revisiting--Some of these are things we did last year and not this year. Some we started the year with and then fizzled out. Some we just picked up before break. However, it's good stuff and it needs to come back.

*Afternoon basket (includes current fiction read aloud, poetry, bible stories, myths, fairy tales, nature stories, AO readings--not all of this each time. These are just what I have to draw from)

*Picture study with scrapbook

*Math journals (I just got a cd from Muggins math for this. It has Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers and Pollywogs to Polygons: The Metamorphosis of Numbers to Art. This will be our main resource for the journals, but they are always open to other ideas as well.)

*I need to get more art in, but I don't have a plan just yet. Though it is included in FIAR, so maybe that's it for now.

This looks like a big list to me, but in fact I think it's a bit lighter. The revisting section items will probably only be once a week. The rest is actually simpler. We will be doing more together. This has not always gone well, so I'm a bit concerned, but it just makes sense. So, our schedule is changing as well.

It's great to see all the changes everyone is making! It gives me energy (and hope) for ours.

**We are changing quite a bit. I started Five in a Row with my younger son, but only rowed one book and then just read a couple of others. I'm going to get back on that, but actually add my older son in. I'm not sure if I will have him do as many of the books as younger ds. I will do it a bit differently with him, though. He will do more additional reading on his own, a bit of research, and some writing. These are all things I wanted to include in his work, and I think FIAR will be a nice gentle way to get him going.

**We are going to start inquiry based science. Science will also be scheduled four days a week and I think it may be our first subject of the day.

**We will continue with studying both Ancients and American history, but will be doing more notebooking along with that.

**Writing-I'm still on the fence about this, but I think I will be adding in a writing program (?WWE ?Bravewriter Arrow ?The Creative Writer??)

**Younger ds will be starting CLE math. Our previous math choice for him was a bomb here (Study Time Arithmetic). So, I'm switching him over to what I'm using with older ds.

**Revisiting--Some of these are things we did last year and not this year. Some we started the year with and then fizzled out. Some we just picked up before break. However, it's good stuff and it needs to come back.

*Afternoon basket (includes current fiction read aloud, poetry, bible stories, myths, fairy tales, nature stories, AO readings--not all of this each time. These are just what I have to draw from)

*Picture study with scrapbook

*Math journals (I just got a cd from Muggins math for this. It has Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers and Pollywogs to Polygons: The Metamorphosis of Numbers to Art. This will be our main resource for the journals, but they are always open to other ideas as well.)

*I need to get more art in, but I don't have a plan just yet. Though it is included in FIAR, so maybe that's it for now.

This looks like a big list to me, but in fact I think it's a bit lighter. The revisting section items will probably only be once a week. The rest is actually simpler. We will be doing more together. This has not always gone well, so I'm a bit concerned, but it just makes sense. So, our schedule is changing as well.

What a great idea! I'm stealing this!

Just read Priorities and Passions and it echoes my own thoughts for revamping our days. Thanks!

ETA: Can you post here when the next articles are up? I'm going to need all the help I can get for creating a workable routine!

Hi Shannon, sorry I missed this! Creating a Workable Routine was up on Wednesday & Implementing a New Routine went up today. HTH! Merry :-)