Menu

Ugh Fertility stuff

I just need to share!

We've tried for 7 years to get pregnant on our own. In the meantime, we adopted our beautiful twin girls.

I kept insisting I had endomitriosis, but my OB wouldn't do the surgery until I'd done all sorts of expensive fertility stuff. She didn't get that I wanted to know what was wrong with me- not just get pregnant. So, I was angry and bitter and left it alone for a while.

We just moved to a new state and now I'm 31, so I figured I'd stop dinking around and just go straight to the endocrinologist. She did the surgery and, sure enough, removed two spots of endomitriosis Yay. (I was right. :glare:)

So now, after 7 years of not getting pregnant and basically accepting that and moving on, she is telling me that she sees no other reason we shouldn't be able to get pregnant, but that I have about a year before the endo starts growing back.

I'm on Clomid and this was our first month trying. I feel like I am just going to start my period and I should know within the next 24 hours.

I hate going through all of this again! The doctor gave me so many reasons to be hopeful---and now I'm kind of mad at her for it! I know that doesn't make sense, it's just that I've worked so hard at being ok with not being able to conceive and now I have this doctor telling me- ok fixed, go for it. (In the end, we still could have unexplained infertility though.) I feel like a fish out of water. I don't want to go through this pain all over again, but it would be worth it if we can get pregnant... Some of you know how I'm feeling. Sigh. I just want to hurry the next 12 months up and have the answer!

So, of course, now I can't stop thinking about whether I might be pregnant, whether I might get pregnant, etc.

I'm a planner and I've not been able to plan anything when it comes to parenthood! It's just frustrating.

I'm just needing to share today...

I have/had endometriosis. Right when it was gaining popularity. :glare: I got pregnant right after one of the surgeries to remove it, but miscarried 8 weeks later. And I know how you mean about not knowing, waiting to know, living with the unknown...We did fertility treatments, for several years, off and on. Then, after 13 years, we adopted our first beautiful daughter. 3 years later, we adopted our 2nd Asian Princess :D.

Throughout all of the ups and downs, my only regret is waiting 14 years before bringing a baby into our home. It was, and still is, a difficult adjustment. We both really got use to being on our own. And it was a MAJOR adjustment.

All that to say, I know where you are, you have my thoughts and prayers, and lots and lots of :grouphug:

I've BTDT and may have a little insight....I'm sure you've had all you're hormone levels drawn right? My Dr's office did a research study a couple of years ago about women with endometriosis who were missing the "sticky" protein in the lining of their uterus causing a fertilized egg not to be able to implant. You might google the name "Dr. Fornstein Greenville sc research endometriosis" and see if you can find the study. Incidentally I participated in said study and had an endometrial biopsy done and the next cycle I got pregnant. I also have pcos and used metformin to help me ovulate. I did not have success with clomid...did you know it makes your cervical mucous "hostile"? I had much better luck with femara.

At any rate I totally sympathize with you! It took 4 years to conceive my first, a year for the second and now I'm pregnant with a "surprise" :)

That's interesting that you knew you had it. What made you think you did?

How long have you been trying this time? I would give it a little time before I got upset. It can take up to a year and that doesn't mean anything is wrong.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We had unexplained infertility and conceived DD shortly before we adopted DS. I'm also a planner. I think the not knowing and the being unable to plan was the most frustrating part for me too.

Charting your cycle takes a lot of the guess work out of fertility. I love knowing when I am ovulating. Plus I can tell when my system is off and then I have to figure out why.

:grouphug: Clomid definitely adds to the whole roller coaster, I found. Hopefully, it will just take a round or two. The first time I got pregnant that it stuck (6th round of Clomid, 3rd IUI), it really did feel like my period was coming, it just never did. I have 10 years of perfect charts, with no pregnancies from any of them, so while it might give you some info, YMMV.

A little coziness every other night will be good for your relationship. ;) My doctor told me 4 cycles of clomid was all that he generally tried. I had laser surgery for the endometriosis first, the clomid didn't work and we went on to that other med. I"m old and can't remember anything. It was shots. They worked the second cycle. Infertility is so hard. Big hugs!

Hugs to you. I have been on that roller coaster before, I wouldn't wish it for my worst enemy. What helped me the most was the ivillage message board website regarding trying to conceive, or something like that. Also, I tried an acupuncturist. Amazing. I have never had a regular cycle, until I saw him. I did a month of clomid once he got my cycle normal except my OB doesn't ever like to do just do clomid because it kind of "dries" you up. He adds estrogen. Oh my! Good luck. You can pm me anytime. My first dd was IVF (after a miscarriage), second one natural, then 2 more mc's (one being twins), then my little boy (with the help of acupuncture).

Hang in there, I didn't even get married til 31!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of your stories. It's comforting. Everyone is so different that I feel like fertility is just one big game of roulette.

I took a pregnancy test today and it was negative, so at least I can move on and focus on Christmas.

We use the ovulation kits and I have to go in for an internal ultrasound every month after I ovulate. So, it is nice to know I at least ovulated and we have a fighting chance. This is only our second month on Clomid, and only our second month trying post-surgery. It's hard to think after 7 years of trying on our own that this is "only our second month."

I've heard a lot about acupuncture. I had it done once in high school to see if it would help my cramps, but maybe I should give it a try for fertility. I've also heard of fertility teas, brewed by the Chinese medicine doctors. All these things to try!

Someone asked how I "just knew" I had endo. Well, I have had unbearably bad cramps since I was 14. Like- throw up every 10 minutes all day long, can't move, excruciating pain. Going on birth control helped curb that a bit. Also, my mom had two miscarriages (then two kids) and my aunt was diagnosed with endo and, with a LOT of help, had three kids. Plus, pain during sex is a sign, as well. I had a lot of indicators and endo was really the only thing that fit. So, with a family history to top it off, I was just sure.

Thanks again for all of your kind words!

:grouphug::grouphug:

Infertility sucks.

I've walked that road too. Different particulars, but same emotions!

Do try acupuncture and Chinese herbs with a respected TCM professional! It can be very effective for infertility (and all the stress that comes with it!). Humanly speaking, acu and Chinese herbs are the reason DH and I have our two kids. It can address things that Western medicine typically overlooks or ignores. I loved being treated as a whole person and not just a body with some parts not working optimally. A vastly different experience from an RE's office.

I knew we might have trouble conceiving. Because I only had a period every 6 months. dh also had diminished fertility, and has a siblings that have never conceived in 25 years of trying.

I got a very good fertility doctor,and tried several rounds of clomid which made me very suicidal. I started ovulating, and having regular cycles, but I couldn't conceive because the clomid was really thickening my cervical mucus. Of course my very good fertility doctor did not believe me.

I went off of clomid, and took some plain cough syrup to thin my mucus. I charted, and did not ovulate until day 30 of that cycle, but conceived Miss Good that first cycle. Fortunately, my very good fertility doctor routinely checked progesterone levels, because mine was practically non existent.

With supplemental progesterone, she arrived healthy and right on time. After I weaned her, my cycles became as regular as clockwork, and I conceived my next two children the very first time we tried.

After that, I was able to keep from getting pregnant for 7 years by just using NFP. When we decided we wanted more, I was really afraid we would not be able to, but I conceived again right away, and had back to back miscarriages.

With the second one, I got mad. I charted my temperature through the miscarriage, took more plain cough syrup, and conceived Miss Bossy just 2 weeks after the miscarriage. I was 40 when she was born.

I thought we were through until I had my first ever accidental pregnancy that also ended in a miscarriage. I decided then that Miss Bossy really needed a sibling closer to her age, so I had Miss happy when I was 43.

I told my long, detailed story, because at 25, I thought I would never have children of my own. I know how awful that can feel.

Before he died, my dad told me I should send my fertility doctor a big fat bonus. I may just do that.

:grouphug: My husband and I got married in our mid-30's and were infertile. We didn't have a lot of time to try, and I already anticipated that "roller coaster" and didn't want to be on it. We "tried" for about a year, I did Clomid, basal temping, etc. and just decided to adopt (we adopted 5 kids through the foster care system). We weren't trying nearly as long as you, but I understand those feelings. It's awful. Especially if your friends can conceive easily. I still remember one of my friends saying, "Oh yeah, we're thinking about trying again for #2" and the next time I saw her a couple of months later she was pregnant.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of your stories. It's comforting. Everyone is so different that I feel like fertility is just one big game of roulette.

I took a pregnancy test today and it was negative, so at least I can move on and focus on Christmas.

We use the ovulation kits and I have to go in for an internal ultrasound every month after I ovulate. So, it is nice to know I at least ovulated and we have a fighting chance. This is only our second month on Clomid, and only our second month trying post-surgery. It's hard to think after 7 years of trying on our own that this is "only our second month."

I've heard a lot about acupuncture. I had it done once in high school to see if it would help my cramps, but maybe I should give it a try for fertility. I've also heard of fertility teas, brewed by the Chinese medicine doctors. All these things to try!

Someone asked how I "just knew" I had endo. Well, I have had unbearably bad cramps since I was 14. Like- throw up every 10 minutes all day long, can't move, excruciating pain. Going on birth control helped curb that a bit. Also, my mom had two miscarriages (then two kids) and my aunt was diagnosed with endo and, with a LOT of help, had three kids. Plus, pain during sex is a sign, as well. I had a lot of indicators and endo was really the only thing that fit. So, with a family history to top it off, I was just sure.

Thanks again for all of your kind words!

:grouphug:

This stuff is so difficult - an important question though, before you waste more time and money - has your DH been evaluated? Semen analysis? It's important to do...I know couples who've gone through years of infertility treatments and their DH was never tested and it turned out he also had infertility issues too.

This stuff is so difficult - an important question though, before you waste more time and money - has your DH been evaluated? Semen analysis? It's important to do...I know couples who've gone through years of infertility treatments and their DH was never tested and it turned out he also had infertility issues too.

:iagree: After I changed OB/Gyns (because the one who put me on Clomid told me that infertility is "always the woman't fault") the first thing she did was recommend that DH be tested, too. He was a bit low and she recommended surgery for him, but at that point we weren't interested.

Oh goodness, Clomid can really throw you for a loop emotionally! I was a basket-case on Clomid, and normally I'm very level-headed. Tell everyone around you to give you lots of extra space and just let you rant and rave and vent however much you need to. And do NOT beat yourself up when you lose your temper more often than usual. The medicine really is messing with your hormones, and it is VERY difficult to keep an even keel.

I don't know if you're really wanting MORE advice for ideas to try, but maybe take a look into maca root. It's a natural supplement, similar to ginger, that is native to Peru. It helps your body balance its hormones correctly. There has been some very interesting research done on it, and there are plenty of indicators that it can help increase fertility. I had 2 m/c's in a row in 2010, started taking maca root, and carried the next baby to term despite the fact my progesterone was low before they got around to testing it and putting me on the Rx.

Also, check out www.fertilityfriend.com. I was addicted to that site when TTC.

I hope you get good news soon! TTC is such an emotional roller coaster. :hug:

Yep, but it was about 5 years ago. So, if we aren't pregnant in the next two months, he's going to get tested again, just in case something has changed. We don't want to waste time (or money).