Menu

I am not sure what to think about this....please help me sort this out.

First of all...sorry for the length of this, please be patient with me. about 3 months ago I took my dd11 to our family doctor becasue she had been complaining of a pain in her knee that she would describes as a "poping" and then pain. When asked to rank her pain it was often a 5-6...but on occasion it was higher or lower...and on one occasion it sent her to the ground in pain...but the pain would only last a minute or so. Our family doctor said it was a meniscus issue (which is the tissue between the 2 leg bones). The doctor told us to give her motrin 4x a day for a week to see if that helped. It did. Then she wanted us to have an MRI done to see what we need to do next.

We didn't want to go that route unless we needed to, and a really good friend of ours encouraged us to see their doctor...a chiropractic and acupuncturist. So we did. The first visit she had dd sit by her computer and she put a brass probe in her hand and the doctor touched dd's other hand with another probe. She touched various acupunture spots trying to diagnois her issue. She decided that it was a meniscus issue. She tested her strength in both her arms and legs...some movements dd had strength, other times not so much. The doctor then touched her with a heat "gun" (for lack of a better word) on her knee and ear (again acupuncture points). Then sent her home for a week.

When we returned, the pain was still there, but a little better. The doctor decided that she had some food allergies, so she treated those with the heat guns and then added some homeopathy too. Sent us home for another 2 weeks. When we come back, the pain was a little better, but still there, with an occasional really bad "pop". The doctor then decided that the problem might be the fact that iodine (which is naturally stored in the thyroid and ovaries) and in my dd it wasn't being stored in her ovaries...so the doctor treated her for that. Sent us home....

2 weeks later...(today) still has pain, and today the doctor asked us how much sugar dd eats. I told her not much because we limit that. No pop or sugar on any kind of regular basis...a special occasion yes...but once a month. DD has been eating fruit, yogurt and stuff like that...but not much candy type sugar. The doctor suggested that maybe we want to have a blood test for diabeties because type 1 will often show it's face during the pre-puberty time. She said that the pancres not working correctly can effect ligaments in the body.

I don't have any reason to NOT believe her, but this is seeming to be getting ridiculus too...I mean, each trip is a different reason for her knee problems, and yet the pain is less than before (just not gone yet). My husband and I aren't sure what to think. How many trips (and I have a co-pay each time, which is adding up) do we take before we seek another opinion? If you have any advice, opinions or thoughts for me, I would really appreciate it, especially if you have expereince with doctors like the doctor that we have been seeing. THANKS!!!

Edited by NEprairemom

I think you may have a legitimate concern. Any doctor I've ever been to takes a full history at the first appointment. All of those things that you've been getting over time are all addressed first time out.

I would rather see a naturopath or homeopath than an allopathic doctor so my suggestion would be to try another.

Edited by Parrothead

Okay....not at all snarky, I promise, but my DH would say "don't chase zebras when the horse is standing in front of you"....your DD has a knee issue, not an iodine storage issue, not a thyroid issue and not likely Type I diabetes -those are zebras....the horse, her KNEE - take her to an orthopedist and let them figure out what is wrong. The orthopod could very well tell you, hey, it's really not her knee, she needs to see XYZ because this is what I highly suspect....but right now the chiro is chasing zebras and wasting your time, and possibly causing more damage to a knee that might very well be easily taken care of if whatever is wrong is addressed in a timely manner!

I would be out of there, but then I'm a traditional med kind of person. Did you ever do the MRI? As for the knee feeling a little better, but not completely better, it could be healing slowly on its own. Or it could be the Hawthorne Effect (worth reading about) where it seems to be a little better to your dd simply because someone did something. I would be inclined to wait until after the holidays are over and reassess in January. Do the MRI if it hasn't been resolved by then.

(Hint: That was difficult to read. Maybe you would consider editing it into paragraphs.)

done...thanks and sorry about that.

I think you may have a legitimate concern. Any doctor I've ever been to takes a full history at the first appointment. All of those things that you've been getting over time are all addressed first time out.

oh she did that at our first appointment. At least, I guess she did...I filled out several pages of patient information before our first appointment.

I would rather see a naturopath or homeopath than an allopathic doctor so my suggestion would be to try another.

these are few and far between where we live...but I will investigate.

Well, I think your daughter's knee is probably getting better from rest, ibuprofen (for inflammation) and time. My daughter has knee pain which is a form of runner's knee caused by a misalignment of her knees and hips which seems to be common in growing girls. On the advice of our trusted family doctor (who confirmed with the sports medicine guy and physical therapy guy in the same building), she rested for a few weeks, started wrapping her knee when she exercises, took ibuprofen for a few weeks and iced the knees for a few weeks. She also switched to shoes with good support and has a sheet of physical therapy exercise to strengthen her leg muscles. Her knee pain is gone, but she will still have to be careful about exercise until she quits growing quite so fast.

So, from my pov, is your daughter healthy except for her knees that pop sometimes and hurt? Do her knees hurt more coming down stairs? What causes them to hurt and what helps? Did anybody take x-rays to make sure there isn't any structural problem? It sounds to me like you feel like you're being strung along which means you probably are.

I would be out of there, but then I'm a traditional med kind of person. Did you ever do the MRI? As for the knee feeling a little better, but not completely better, it could be healing slowly on its own. Or it could be the Hawthorne Effect (worth reading about) where it seems to be a little better to your dd simply because someone did something. I would be inclined to wait until after the holidays are over and reassess in January. Do the MRI if it hasn't been resolved by then.

we aren't really wanting to expose her to radiation from the MRI unless we have too...not to mention that the test will have to come out of pocket becasue of our deductible is high. But you see, this is my problem...I honestly don't know what to do. UGH!!!

Edited by NEprairemom

Okay....not at all snarky, I promise, but my DH would say "don't chase zebras when the horse is standing in front of you"....your DD has a knee issue, not an iodine storage issue, not a thyroid issue and not likely Type I diabetes -those are zebras....the horse, her KNEE - take her to an orthopedist and let them figure out what is wrong. The orthopod could very well tell you, hey, it's really not her knee, she needs to see XYZ because this is what I highly suspect....but right now the chiro is chasing zebras and wasting your time, and possibly causing more damage to a knee that might very well be easily taken care of if whatever is wrong is addressed in a timely manner!

:iagree: I would just follow up with the original physician and have the MRI done.

Well, I think your daughter's knee is probably getting better from rest, ibuprofen (for inflammation) and time. My daughter has knee pain which is a form of runner's knee caused by a misalignment of her knees and hips which seems to be common in growing girls. On the advice of our trusted family doctor (who confirmed with the sports medicine guy and physical therapy guy in the same building), she rested for a few weeks, started wrapping her knee when she exercises, took ibuprofen for a few weeks and iced the knees for a few weeks. She also switched to shoes with good support and has a sheet of physical therapy exercise to strengthen her leg muscles. Her knee pain is gone, but she will still have to be careful about exercise until she quits growing quite so fast.

So, from my pov, is your daughter healthy except for her knees that pop sometimes and hurt? Do her knees hurt more coming down stairs? What causes them to hurt and what helps? Did anybody take x-rays to make sure there isn't any structural problem? It sounds to me like you feel like you're being strung along which means you probably are.

we stopped the Motrin after that one week....so I know that isn't "helping"...as far as what causes the pain...we really don't know..it comes out of the blue. She can be running and playing all afternoon and then later when she gets up from sitting on the floor it will pop...or she can be sitting on the floor working on a craft, get up and have no problem, but then later she can be simply walking and it will "pop". No rhyme or reason (I documented for about 2 weeks), no pattern, nothing. I just don't get it. The pain only lasts for a minute and then she is off again. It's not like it's a muscle pain that is more painful sometimes and heat or ice helps....it's just such a weird deal. We didn't do x-rays either...not mentioned by the doctor.

This all sounds a little bizarre to me, really! Of course I don't have all the details and certainly have no background in medicine, but it sure seems like going down a never-ending path. I think I'd get back to focusing on the knee pain alone. Both my daughter and a friend of my daughter's had severe knee pain during middle school years. It lasted two-three years for both. We never brought our daughter in to have it checked (in hind site, I don't really know why!), but her friend's pain was even more severe, so her parents did begin doctoring her for it.

They were told that there is a common knee condition that hits kids at about that age, esp. when they are going through a growth spurt. It has a name -- I can't remember what it is. Over time it grew less, and over perhaps a two-year period, it eventually diminished entirely. During the peak of the pain, it was so severe that our daughter would have to sit while the rest of us were out on a walk. I remember my husband giving her piggy-back rides.

I don't know if it could be something like that or not. Just a thought.

Perhaps a second opinion from a general practitioner would be in line?

:iagree: I would go to the orthopedist.

No offense but her knee is probably a little better every week because of the simple passage of time.

If you are concerned about it I would take her to se an orthopedic surgeon and see if he can diagnose the issue. Knee problems are fairly common in athletic preteen/teen girls. Once you know what is truly wrong you can address it (usually physical therapy is the best solution).

I would either look into getting that MRI, or asking if it could be plica tissue catching on the side of her knee.

There is also a distinct possibility she has a piece of cartilage loose on the back of her knee cap that is catching as well.

Really - an orthopedic surgeon is the person to go to.....

The doctor you are going to seems to be addressing a lot of other issues that probably have little or nothing to do with your dd's knee. That's great if you're looking to improve your dd's overall health, but it's not getting to the actual cause of the knee pain and popping.

It looks like you will either need to find a way to help your dd manage the pain or go and get the MRI so that you can find out exactly what is wrong.

I do understand the cost involved. Most places will run it through insurance first which would give you some time before it's due. Then typically they will let you set up payments if you ask.

I am a strong proponent of naturopathic and chiropractic medicine and have received a lot of benefit from alternative treatments. That said, this chiropractor seems "off" to me. I would do the MRI. Then depending on what it finds, I would google the heck out of both allopathic and naturopathic ways of treating the actual problem. If she needs anti-inflammatories there are supplements that are kinder on the gut than the pharmaceutical ones but she would still need anti-inflammatories.

I am a physical therapist. I've also had a meniscal tear in my own knee. It isn't uncommon to have it be intermittent depending on lots of factors. I can't give you medical advice about your DD, but I'll speak in generalities. Popping, clicking, burning, sometimes being unable to straighten fully can all be signs of a tear (don't need to have all of those signs). Sometimes there's a little flap and it only gets "caught" in certain positions or at certain times.

I am actually a pretty big supporter of alternative medicine for my own self, but I think you are dealing with an incompetent and perhaps quackish practitioner. Waaay too many things are off to me in the scenario you describe. (eta these "special tests" are correlated with diagnostic findings and have a good reputation for sensitivity and so forth. I'm not talking about holding a wand up to your child and having that tell me what is going on. I'm talking about physical manipulation of the knee in certain ways that can tell us whether stressing different structures (individual ligaments, the medial and lateral mensicus, etc. is causing pain, and what that might mean diagnostically. I just want to be clear that these "tests" are published in journals and have been correlated against diagnostic findings on MRI, etc. for decades in many cases)

Have you considered having a PT consult? PTs can also use certain special physical maneuvers to test for the possibility of a meniscal tear. Those types of special tests aren't 100 percent sensitive, but they will often confirm a suspected diagnosis.

sometimes an orthopedist will opt to scope via arthroscopy and then just shave off any flaps or tears while they are in there. A meniscal tear repair is thankfully often a relatively minor procedure. Continuing to use the motrin won't necessarily fix things if she has a tear in there.

eta my mom had meniscal repair surgery done via arthroscopy and it was fine. I recovered without it but I was in PT school at the time and had the help of one of my professors. In my case, providing joint distraction (opening up joint space manually) often "unlocked" my knee. If you have a loose piece of cartilage floating around in there, sometimes it nestles into part of the joint making it tough to fully extend the knee. Think of putting a marble into the hinge of a door...it would block the full movement of the door. If you can open up that joint space, sometimes the loose piece dislodges for a bit. IME while recovering from my tear, it was often very easy to "tweak" my knee during every day activities, and I'd go back to burning, irritation, lack of full extension for a few hours or a few days. So yes, it *can* be intermittent.

A PT can also check her ligaments, etc. to determine they are suspect or causing her pain for example.

Edited by Momof3littles

we aren't really wanting to expose her to radiation from the MRI unless we have too...not to mention that the test will have to come out of pocket becasue of our deductible is quite high. But you see, this is my problem...I honestly don't know what to do. UGH!!!

There are other, less expensive options you can do instead of the MRI - ultrasound, a simple x-ray, etc. can be a first line look, at much lower expense to you -- just mention to the doctor what can he do in lieu of an MRI (some folks cannot have them at all, so it's not like it's all they can do), keeping cost in mind since you're paying out of pocket.

Based on a reply after this one, it sounds like there is something in there that is causing an issue when it gets stuck. In my teens I had "joint mice" (aka osteochondritis dissecans if you want to google it) that caused pain....it would come and go and make the craziest noise! Mine stabilized on its own (which is usually what happens with proper rest to the joint)...but sometimes the piece that's loose will migrate into the joint space and need to be removed to prevent damage to the joiint.

we aren't really wanting to expose her to radiation from the MRI unless we have too...not to mention that the test will have to come out of pocket becasue of our deductible is quite high. But you see, this is my problem...I honestly don't know what to do. UGH!!!

MRI stands for MAGNETIC resonance imaging. There is no ionizing radiation like there is for x-rays. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging

The chiropractor sounds like a quack, frankly. If you don't want to go the MRI route, then I would up the ante to see an orthopedic doctor...but you're probably going to be told to get an MRI for diagnostic purposes. You could ask what the risks are of NOT getting an MRI, for instance, is there more likelihood of a misdiagnosis? How much greater is the risk for damage without knowing exactly what is going on, etc?

I have the same thing. As a dancer, it was terribly painful but I had no clue what was happening. Turns out, my knee joint sits slightly out of sync with the socket. The only way this was discovered was through xrays at an orthopedist.

so then what did you have to do to fix the problem??

My daughter is not an athlete, she is not a dancer, she doesn't do anything outside of the normal running and playing of a child. So, I don't understand why she even has this problem.

personally I do pilates leg exercises to strengthen all the muscles in my legs and hips to keep my knees strong. Otherwise I get knee pain. But then again, I am old.

Well, strengthening muscles like the VMO can help women in particular with issues like patellar tracking (a common problem in females because of how our bones are angled from our wider hips toward our knees). However, if her DD is dealing with trauma like a tear to her cartilage, general exercise might exacerbate things or be unhelpful for the long haul.

OP, these are some of the special tests physical therapists use when looking at something like what your DD is experiencing.

Do not attempt to DIY these or anything, but I'm trying to point out the types of manual tests that PTs will often do as part of a complete and thorough evaluation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sB3ybDCS5rgC&pg=PA511&lpg=PA511&dq=joint+distraction+and+compression&source=bl&ots=5bTogyiExe&sig=6Y3Fl2c2Kh-xsUQ6AmwiHK5TgFY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MVfqTp63A6bY0QGsp9mvCQ&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=joint%20distraction%20and%20compression&f=false

My daughter is not an athlete, she is not a dancer, she doesn't do anything outside of the normal running and playing of a child. So, I don't understand why she even has this problem.

If it is indeed a meniscal tear, just twisting one's knee the wrong way a little bit during every day life can cause it. It doesn't have to be the result of athletics or the like. My mother is not exactly the most active individual and tore her meniscus. I tore mine while bending down to pick up several bags moving back into my dorm after a college winter break.

:iagree:

:grouphug:Shannon in NC

I was born with it. There's no cure. Orthopedist recommended that I never play catcher! I can't get on my knees at all. They still pop when I bend. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

I think acupuncture can be wonderful....as a complement to standard medicine, not a replacement for. Also when I go for acupuncture, it is very traditional acupuncture with no wands or machines or anything. Just the practitioner (a Korean lady who also happens to be a chiro) and her needles. There are no strange questions. She just works on the meridians she thinks will be helpful for the problem. She also recommends continuing medical care.

For my own knee problems, I went to an orthopedist, had an x-ray, did not need an MRI, and went through a couple of months of physical therapy. Insurance paid for most of the PT. It helped a lot. I still have to do maintenance exercises.

Slip meniscus.

I have this problem, and have for as long as I can remember, or at least since high school, when it began causing arthritis that showed up in an xray in my 20s. I played basketball for one year. (In other words, I am not an athlete!)

Different drs have different opinions on the best course of action. I'm waiting for repair surgery until my youngest can at least walk independently.

I would absolutely get the MRI. If you can prevent or lessen future damage (if this is what it is), she will thank you one day.

I walked on a meniscus tear for about 6 mos. I finally caved in and went to the orthopedic knee guy. We had an impending trip to Disney. He did x-rays, saw nothing, did an MRI, saw a small tear, did the arthroscopy and it's all fine now. Well, fine for 46 yr old knees that have been abused ;)

x-rays don't show tissue detail, so that's why they might do an MRI.

I would stay away from the chiropracter who thinks it may be type 1 diabetes. If she really thought your daughter has type 1 diabetes, she should have sent you immediately for blood testing. Knee problems are not a primary symptom of diabetes. Vision problems, frequent urination, weight loss, that kind of things are. A chiropracter should never be a primary doctor for type 1 diabetes since that is a very serious illness that needs allopathic treatments, specifically insulin.

Your daughter could have many things and if she has a meniscus tear, that is one of the better outcomes because it can be repaired. My youngest has knee pains along with pains in some other joints and her pains are due to dislocations. Nothing can be done for her except ibuprofen and PT.

the doctor did suggest to me that I get blood tests for my dd to determine if she had diabetes, I just didn't want to do that , just because she suggested it, I wanted to have more of a reason. She has no other symptoms of diabetes...so I doubt that is her problem...my dd has normally been a healthy girl, so this just doesn't seem to fit....that is why I am questioning what this doctor is saying and doing.

OK...if I am going to pick an orthopedist, what should I be looking for? There aren't any pediatric ones in our area, so that isn't an option....but is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of, or certain questions I should ask? Can this all wait until January when we return from our Christmas vacation? Or, I guess I could pick one and make an appointment in January, huh? Just thinking as I am typing. Thanks.

No offense but her knee is probably a little better every week because of the simple passage of time.

If you are concerned about it I would take her to se an orthopedic surgeon and see if he can diagnose the issue. Knee problems are fairly common in athletic preteen/teen girls. Once you know what is truly wrong you can address it (usually physical therapy is the best solution).

Yes, and often they can get better on their own. My daughter has a knee problem that comes and go, and they can do surgery but the prognosis isn't any better or worse than just time. When she has a problem she wears a knee brace and takes Motrin. I am not sure that the acupuncturist is actually making anything better.

I love my chiro - but, I would be seeking another opinion at this point.

It seems both the chiro/accupuncturist and the MD you took her to both diagnosed the same thing. She could also be feeling less pain because of time - and nothing the accupuncturist is doing. (especially as each time she says something different.)

I love my chiro - but, I would be seeking another opinion at this point.

It seems both the chiro/accupuncturist and the MD you took her to both diagnosed the same thing. She could also be feeling less pain because of time - and nothing the accupuncturist is doing. (especially as each time she says something different.)

according to her, the reason that the diagnois is different each time is because she is peeling away layers...she is treating the most obvious symptom first, then the next and the next, until she unburies the real problem. But each symptom is getting weirder and weirder and seemingly further and further away from the real problem....her knee.

Orthopedic surgeon. Look for one who is board certified. He will order tests. That's how you can be sure of the diagnosis. Don't be afraid of them...they are necessary to treat your dd properly.

To me it sounds like it could be meniscal, could be chondromalacia of the patella, could be Osgood-Schlatters. Only an exam plus the proper tests (either x-rays or an MRI) will tell you for sure.

PS. Your other practitioner is not qualified to treat this. You are wasting your time and money.

OK...if I am going to pick an orthopedist, what should I be looking for? There aren't any pediatric ones in our area, so that isn't an option....but is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of, or certain questions I should ask? Can this all wait until January when we return from our Christmas vacation? Or, I guess I could pick one and make an appointment in January, huh? Just thinking as I am typing. Thanks.

Our options are limited here, so we basically pick out of the phone book (well, internet, lol.)

Call now. For a non-emergency, there could be a waiting list.

Is the pain still constant or is it intermittent? If it isn't unbearable and seems to be getting better you might just wait a month or so and see if it improves. Minor tears in healthy people often heal on their own. An MRI is an expensive test to pay for and then be told she needs to avoid strenuous exercise for a few weeks until she feels better. I had similar knee pain at that age. I was athletic and played several sports but the doctor said it was normal for growing girls, for the most part it got better with time and I just lived with it. A serious tear will not get better with time so if it's still causing her a lot of pain after a month or so you can get the MRI. My dh had an acl and meniscus tear years ago and it required surgery but the pain was so bad he couldn't stand on the leg.