Menu

Update on my son who flew to NYC without telling me

He just walked in the door after spending the last four days in San Antonio. He brought me a birthday gift. It came in a small box wrapped with white ribbon from Tiffany & Co. which was in a small Tiffany gift bag - a silver bracelet with a little silver heart charm engraved with "Mom." (It says Tiffany & Co. in tiny letters on the back.) So I guess he's off the hook.:D

OIC--I thought he flew to NYC to see the friend, then flew to San Antonio, to see the girlfriend. I thought Tiffany's was only in NYC. There is one in San Antonio, but it's so iconically NYC, I thought that's where he bought it.

He flew to NYC to see gf's foreign exchange student "sister" who was heading back to Paris for the holidays. She had a 7-hour layover at JFK. Ds and fes got to know each other a little bit when gf and ds were skyping - she would join in their conversations. At first I didn't know what was going, but if you knew ds you'd get it - he went to witness to her because she is not a Christian.:) He explained it all last night. He's the type to talk about his faith very freely to everyone he meets - not in a ram in down their throats kind of way, but out of genuine concern for their eternal condition.

Then he flew to San Antonio (straight from NYC) to meet gf's parents for the first time and see gf whom he hadn't seen face-to-face for years. They have been maintaining a Civil Air Patrol friendship since he met her at Maxwell AFB for Cadet Officer School a long time ago and only recently have they started thinking of themselves as anything more.

Anyway, he bought the bracelet at Tiffany's in San Antonio. He's young, single, has a decent job and thinks he's rich - he's not - but he'll figure that out soon enough. I'm glad he thought he was rich when he was at Tiffany's.:D

He flew to NYC to see gf's foreign exchange student "sister" who was heading back to Paris for the holidays. She had a 7-hour layover at JFK. Ds and fes got to know each other a little bit when gf and ds were skyping - she would join in their conversations. At first I didn't know what was going, but if you knew ds you'd get it - he went to witness to her because she is not a Christian.:) He explained it all last night. He's the type to talk about his faith very freely to everyone he meets - not in a ram in down their throats kind of way, but out of genuine concern for their eternal condition.

Then he flew to San Antonio (straight from NYC) to meet gf's parents for the first time and see gf whom he hadn't seen face-to-face for years. They have been maintaining a Civil Air Patrol friendship since he met her at Maxwell AFB for Cadet Officer School a long time ago and only recently have they started thinking of themselves as anything more.

Anyway, he bought the bracelet at Tiffany's in San Antonio. He's young, single, has a decent job and thinks he's rich - he's not - but he'll figure that out soon enough. I'm glad he thought he was rich when he was at Tiffany's.:D

Oh.my.word. Kathleen, be very proud of your boy. He sounds JUST like how I want my boys to be when they are that age. :)

Oh.my.word. Kathleen, be very proud of your boy. He sounds JUST like how I want my boys to be when they are that age. :)

God has been very gracious to me, Bethany. I grew up in a non-Christian home and was abused in more ways than one (I'll just leave it at that.) I spent my teen/young adult years very hurt and very confused. For reasons only God knows, he plucked me out of the "fire" and set me down with a wonderful dh and a wonderful church family.

Sometimes I take that for granted, but the older I get, the more I hear folks telling me how very unusual it is for someone to live in the same house, go to the same church, have the same pastor, and have a loving intact family for over 25 years. My pastor is very wise and kind and is a tender shepherd of his sheep. He has taught us straight from the Bible all these years and my children have never known anything else. They are very, very blessed as am I. I know that to whom much is given, much will be required - I'm very cognizant of that - and I think my children (my four older children are saved) understand that as well.

I'm kind of like you, Bethany. I'm expecting that after all these years of rich blessings, my faith will be tested somehow or another. But I trust God to always do the right thing - even if I can't understand, I can trust that He is always good and always just, so I try not to think too much about what might happen in the future. My ultimate future is secure because Jesus took my place on the cross, not because of anything I've done or will do, and that's all that really matters.

I will be praying for you and your family.