Menu

Shunning Facebook, and Living to Tell About it!

I thought this article was interesting, because last night I got "chastised" yet again by someone for not being on Facebook. :glare: I told him he would have to send me messages by carrier pigeon because we also don't have a cellphone....:lol:! The article said that 2/3rds of Americans are on Facebook, and only 16% don't have a cell phone.

I don't mind that everyone is on Facebook, I just don't want to be! I'm simply not interested. The comment that really bothered me in this article is that people are starting to think that there is something wrong with you, or that you are hiding something if you aren't on Facebook. :confused: I hate that seed being planted, that if you aren't on Facebook you are deranged in some way! It's like Facebook is trying to shame more people into joining.

Is it possible that I am truly happy for everyone else if they enjoy Facebook (and cellphones)? BUT, that happiness for them doesn't lead to me wanting to join in? Is it possible that I am not in the witness protection program and simply don't enjoy things like Facebook?

Can't we just all get along ;)?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shunning-facebook-living-tell-000204976.html

Hmm..interesting. I wouldn't thing someone was trying to hide something just because they weren't on facebook. I really don't get on my account that much and often wonder if I should even keep it. I know that if I mention that I am leaning toward not having my kids have a cell phone but they could use ours, people get freaked out. They insist I will cave and get them a phone:glare:

I thought this article was interesting, because last night I got "chastised" yet again by someone for not being on Facebook. :glare: I told him he would have to send me messages by carrier pigeon because we also don't have a cellphone....:lol:! The article said that 2/3rds of Americans are on Facebook, and only 16% don't have a cell phone.

I don't mind that everyone is on Facebook, I just don't want to be! I'm simply not interested. The comment that really bothered me in this article is that people are starting to think that there is something wrong with you, or that you are hiding something if you aren't on Facebook. :confused: I hate that seed being planted, that if you aren't on Facebook you are deranged in some way! It's like Facebook is trying to shame more people into joining.

Is it possible that I am truly happy for everyone else if they enjoy Facebook (and cellphones)? BUT, that happiness for them doesn't lead to me wanting to join in? Is it possible that I am not in the witness protection program and simply don't enjoy things like Facebook?

:iagree: -- and I hate that other things like Pinterest are "tied to" FB and Twitter!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shunning-facebook-living-tell-000204976.html

I love facebook, but I have several friends who are *not* on facebook. They are sweet, lovely, great people. Nothing to hide in the least. It's not for them. No biggie. I'm with you. Can't we just all get along? :D

When people look at me like I have three heads for not being on Facebook, I just laugh and say, "I refuse to be assimilated."

:lol: - I love it!! I think I'll use that at Christmas when my aunt tells me for the hundredth time that I would know what was going on if I was on FB. :glare: (Like email and texting and picking up a telephone don't work?? <gasp>)

I agree that it's a huge time waster, which I am not against. It's just, I have other ways of wasting time that I enjoy more :lol:! Facebook would completely stress me out.

Maybe the article has a point, maybe those of us not on Facebook are more suspicious people in general. So, how many of those who replied to this are typing from an underground bunker...:lol:;)!??

In the 1890's- "I don't need a telephone. If people want to tell me something, they can walk over here, or write me a letter. That's what mail is for!"

In the 2000's- "Why do I need email? If people want to tell me something, they can pick up the phone and call me. That's what phones are for!"

In 2011- "Why do I need Facebook? If people want to tell me something, they can write me an email. That's what email is for!"

Times have changed, and so have the ways in which people communicate and share news. Someone without Facebook today is like someone without a telephone 100 years ago.

In the 1890's- "I don't need a telephone. If people want to tell me something, they can walk over here, or write me a letter. That's what mail is for!"

In the 2000's- "Why do I need email? If people want to tell me something, they can pick up the phone and call me. That's what phones are for!"

In 2011- "Why do I need Facebook? If people want to tell me something, they can write me an email. That's what email is for!"

Times have changed, and so have the ways in which people communicate and share news. Someone without Facebook today is like someone without a telephone 100 years ago.

Except email (or phone in some cases) is just as fast and effective as Facebook, and email (or phone) is not as open to personal information.

You don't put your Facebook account on a resume, or list it as your contact info under more formal situations.

Facebook is purely entertainment. I have other forms of entertainment.

Besides I like going against the current. :D

There are still plenty of ways you can reach me, instantaneously if you so desire! I have a cell phone that does all sorts of things. Call me, text me, or email me. I don't want to have a conversation with you where everyone else I know can read it ... and if you're going to send me a private message or whatever, how is that different than picking up your own smartphone (which is RIGHT THERE next to the computer) and texting or emailing me? Why is it so terrible to have to open up your GMail app instead of your FB app? :001_huh:

I'm not on Facebook because I don't like broadcasting everything to the world. Okay, I can set things so that only my mom can see everything and everyone else just gets bits and pieces. Well then why not just talk to my mom through one of the many other internet-based time wasters, like email or messaging, if that's really who I want to share things with? Why set up yet another thing, which will bombard me with ads, unless I want to broadcast everything to the world? (And if you do, that's fine. I just don't want to.)

I ran into my dad's friend's daughter at the grocery store and she asked how I had been, where my parents live now, all that sort of thing. Then she told me her dad (my dad's friend) was having a Christmas party and we should all come! Yay! I can get the details on Facebook! I informed her that I'm not on Facebook and she just said "Oh." and wished me a good day. :confused: Well, all right then. If you can't even ask for my phone number (or heck, just hand me your phone and I'll put it in) I guess you didn't really want us to come.

Whether we like it or not, it IS the way many people communicate. I've found that I usually get a quicker response to a Facebook message than an email. I do check my email regularly, but many people no longer do. If I want to stay in touch with them, I contact them on Facebook.

I do find it convenient not to have to keep up with multiple and changing email addresses.

I know plenty of people not on facebook and it doesn't matter to me. We have other ways to communicate. What I don't like is when people think there's something superior about not using facebook (I have someone IRL like that - I'm not talking about here), I'm neither proud nor ashamed of loving facebook. I think it should go both ways. If you're not on facebook you're not on facebook. It doesn't make you special. (general you)

There are still plenty of ways you can reach me, instantaneously if you so desire! I have a cell phone that does all sorts of things. Call me, text me, or email me. I don't want to have a conversation with you where everyone else I know can read it ... and if you're going to send me a private message or whatever, how is that different than picking up your own smartphone (which is RIGHT THERE next to the computer) and texting or emailing me? Why is it so terrible to have to open up your GMail app instead of your FB app? :001_huh:

I'm not on Facebook because I don't like broadcasting everything to the world. Okay, I can set things so that only my mom can see everything and everyone else just gets bits and pieces. Well then why not just talk to my mom through one of the many other internet-based time wasters, like email or messaging, if that's really who I want to share things with? Why set up yet another thing, which will bombard me with ads, unless I want to broadcast everything to the world? (And if you do, that's fine. I just don't want to.)

:iagree:

Whether we like it or not, it IS the way many people communicate. I've found that I usually get a quicker response to a Facebook message than an email. I do check my email regularly, but many people no longer do. If I want to stay in touch with them, I contact them on Facebook.

You make it sound as if one doesn't really have a choice. If you want to communicate with people than you should/have to do through Facebook or don't expect people to stay in touch with you.

If you want to contact people through Facebook that is great, but you keep posting along the lines of resistance is futile. Yes, I compare Facebook to the Borg cause I happen to love Star Trek. ;) If Captain Jean Luc Picard can resist so can I. :lol:

This just smacks of, "Well, everyone is doing it......"

You make it sound as if one doesn't really have a choice. If you want to communicate with people than you should/have to do through Facebook or don't expect people to stay in touch with you.

Well, it's true that many younger people communicate through either facebook or texting. Many of them shun email and phone calls. Email is for old people like us :lol: and work related communication. Phone calls are for when you have no other choice. Whether it's facebook or some other social media, the way we communicate is changing. Yes, it's assimilation, but you either assimilate or get left behind.

I know plenty of people not on facebook and it doesn't matter to me. We have other ways to communicate. What I don't like is when people think there's something superior about not using facebook (I have someone IRL like that - I'm not talking about here), I'm neither proud nor ashamed of loving facebook. I think it should go both ways. If you're not on facebook you're not on facebook. It doesn't make you special. (general you)

I agree. I'm not on facebook, but not "proud" of that, or not not proud either. I'm just not interested in it. I don't like the privacy issues it has, but beyond that, I know that if I were on facebook, I would be obligated to check it all. the. time. I hear people who have facebook getting ticked off at other facebook people for not checking their wall or reading their post or commenting on their posts or yada yada. It makes me :001_huh: because I hear it when the people are standing right in front of me and I ask "why don't you just tell her what you posted now?" Among people I know IRL, facebook creates way too much drama, and I'm done with drama. I say, save it for the stage, baby. Save it for the stage.

:smilielol5: Um, no it isn't. It is a way in which some people communicate and share news. It doesn't happen to be the way in which everyone communicates and shares news. In fact, my entire circle of friends do just fine without Facebook, though some of them are probably on there as well.

In the OP's case, she's found someone whose primary communication is through Facebook. She's got a choice - go on Facebook to accommodate this one person in her life or make the other person make the choice to accommodate her by communicating in other ways.

Among people I know IRL, facebook creates way too much drama, and I'm done with drama. I say, save it for the stage, baby. Save it for the stage.

I wonder if that makes a difference. I know people IRL who always have facebook drama. I know people who stay away from facebook because they hear about nothing but drama. I did block one of dh's nieces because she uses it to fight with her mother and I got tired of seeing their public fights. I use it to update friends and family, post pictures, and because I like to see what those same friends and family are up to. I keep political and other controversial subjects off my facebook wall. To me it's a totally unnecessary but fun activity.

I do understand the privacy issue some have with it. Facebook is well known for not respecting your privacy, so those who do choose to use facebook shouldn't get all up in arms about lack of privacy.

2 words for why I don't have facebook FACEBOOK WARS. This is a major issue with our extended family. They get mad at each other and then delete each other. My dd has an older cousin that she loves dearly. THis cousin got mad and deleted EVERYBODY in our entire extended family, including dd who had nothing to do with the issue. My dd is so upset over all this facebook fighting in the family that she rarely goes on her account any more.

Dh and I think in this case, it was just too easy to go on facebook when angry and post things at the moment in anger, it might have been a little harder to do all this on the phone or in person, at least it would have taken a little more time and maybe given everyone a little more time to cool off.

I also don't have a facebook account, but my wife does. However, she only logs into it about once a month.

My main complaint about it is that it just seems like such a waste of time.

We logged into her account this morning and in looking at what people posted, it seems that is used for one of two things - to brag about your life("My little Miss Perfect just got a 100% on her test.", etc) or to post things that nobody at all cares about("I'm going to bed now."). Yes, those are basically direct quotes from stuff that has been posted in the past 24 hours.

You also don't even want to get me started about quotes like, "I have 2438 friends in facebook."

I agree. I'm not on facebook, but not "proud" of that, or not not proud either. I'm just not interested in it. I don't like the privacy issues it has, but beyond that, I know that if I were on facebook, I would be obligated to check it all. the. time. I hear people who have facebook getting ticked off at other facebook people for not checking their wall or reading their post or commenting on their posts or yada yada. It makes me :001_huh: because I hear it when the people are standing right in front of me and I ask "why don't you just tell her what you posted now?" Among people I know IRL, facebook creates way too much drama, and I'm done with drama. I say, save it for the stage, baby. Save it for the stage.

:iagree: I briefly considered joining facebook years ago when it was fresh and new until my husband emailed me to be his friend on facebook. With that one interaction, I realized it was not for me.

I hardly have any friends that use it, maybe acquaintances, but just a few I'm close to and would want to share my life with. Of my dear friends I *think* 2 are on maybe just one. The one is obsessed with it though. Of my family of close family only dh's sister is on and we have little to nothing in common. With my friends we call or email. The thoughts I want to communicate I don't want to do so through little blips and some things I share with some I don't want to with others. As others I have said I have plenty of way to waste my time otherwise. I think this is partially a personality thing, I prefer deep personal communication. I can see a smart phone being the wave of the future but I don't see the same with facebook. I think it will fall out of fashion as other such things have regardless it doesn't meet my needs or wishes. I have a full and rewarding personal life without it.

I have teen dance students and I find that contacting them through Facebook is more effective than email. I have no issues if anyone skips FB altogether though, nor would I give them a hard time. It's completely their business.

For me it makes sense. There are a lot of teens in my life and this helps to keep track of them. I also have family scattered throughout the country and I LOVE seeing those 'baby's first steps' videos. There ARE moments I would simply miss if not for this technology.

I have seen field trips fill up on FB. If you have X spots to fill, and FB is the easiest way for the organizer to gather a group, it's going to get filled on FB. So, for limited-numbers events, my kids are glad I'm plugged in. If I wasn't, I'd have no right to complain about missing out. (I am surrounded by the technically gifted and live in a very tech-savvy town, so I'm guessing things are organized differently elsewhere.)

When people look at me like I have three heads for not being on Facebook, I just laugh and say, "I refuse to be assimilated."

Good for you.

Facebook is a big gossip-fest, for the most part. And it provides a wonderful opportunity for bores to drone on and on. And who CARES if you "just ate the most awesome cookie ever!". It is a pretense for actual engagement in the world, in my view. And I don't like that all personal information is sold to anyone and everyone.

Don't have one. Don't want one. I do check my daughter's now and then just to see how it works. Relatives who never ever bother to speak to us in real life want to be Facebook "friends". ugh.

And marriage after marriage has broken up - most recently one of 23 years duration in our extended family - over wives and husbands looking up old exes and starting up a flirtation that seems innocent at first. It all takes place right in front of the spouse, because the person is "only on the computer". Facebook didn't cause it, of course, but actually having to carry it out in real life would have been much more difficult. It was all Facebook until they took off on a weekend vacation together.

Not to mention all the stalkers who get upset at what their ex BF or GF or spouse is doing. Turn it OFF. You won't know! You can be happy!

Can I tell you how I really feel? ;)

I am not on facebook. I also don't have a cell phone or a TV. By the time I was done reading that article I felt like a freak. I am thinking that may have been the point.

I don't like facebook because I don't like to share all my life with all my friends and family. When asked why I am not on Facebook I reply that I like to maintain an air of mystery.

Facebook is the public square. There are far too many parts of my life that I don't want to live in the public square. I also think most people would do well to live a little less in the public square. I don't really like the public square, that is part of why I don't have a TV.

I also like to have some control over who knows what about me. Just because I tell something to friends A,B, and C doesn't mean I also want to communicate it to friends D, E, and F.

If I want to be friends with you, I will. Friends isn't a click. If we were friends in high school and you have to find me through facebook, it is safe to assume we aren't really friends.

Agreeing with the above re: drama. I had Facebook for about 6 months, and I grew to dislike almost everyone I know. What is it about Facebook that brings out the worst in so many people? Relatives I haven't seen since I was a child, in laws, friends of friends from high school...all snarking at someone or about someone. In person, people still tend to put on their social faces (although I notice that is beginning to change as well), but on Facebook I was privvy to more information about the ugly side of people than I wanted to be. There is a reason we have friends that we accept and love warts and all, and acquaintances with whom we prefer to keep things superficial. Facebook broke down those barriers too well for my comfort level. I hid statuses until there were only like 5 people left and I sort of felt like, "Why am I on here, again?"

I also like to have some control over who knows what about me. Just because I tell something to friends A,B, and C doesn't mean I also want to communicate it to friends D, E, and F.

:iagree: Exactly. I think Facebook is changing society's social mores and unspoken contracts of relationship.

Exactly. I think Facebook is changing society's social mores and unspoken contracts of relationship.

That isn't even at question. Whats-his-nose- the person who started facebook, has stated that he thinks that keeping parts of our lives separate is a type of dishonesty. He thinks it should stop. I disagree.

Let's not make engaging with a particular technology a measure of the value of friends and family. It isn't the phone or the email or FB that creates value. It is the relationship that I have with the people on the other end that is worth pursuing.

I also don't think that those who have adopted a technology should overlook the possibility that they are being rude to insist that others must communicate via that method.

(And I will also add that I think the quality of communication is dropping as we move to more snippet based methods. One relative, for example, is quite brusque and even rude via FB. I don't think that she would call family idiots to their faces (even when she is thinking that), but she doesn't hesitate to post political rants that call anyone who doesn't agree an idiot. Garbage at the speed of light is still garbage.)

That isn't even at question. Whats-his-nose- the person who started facebook, has stated that he thinks that keeping parts of our lives separate is a type of dishonesty. He thinks it should stop. I disagree.

My 17yo noticed in one of her college classes when the professor wasn't able or maybe willing to exercise control over the discussion, it descended daily into a hyperbolic screaming match. She dreaded the class because she said it was like being stuck on a Youtube comment board for 90 minutes. You have to wonder as generational turnover takes place what our face-to-face interaction will begin to look like.

Of course he believes that. He has a product to sell, so he will say whatever it takes to make his millions.

I have a FB account, not in my real name. On there are 600 and something of my closest strangers, who I friended in order to play silly games periodically. I haven't been on since October because I dislike the new format, plus I'm finding the games to be boring. I may have to make another account in order to do some things on the Internet, which I'm not thrilled about doing. I really don't like how most sites require logging in with FB or such.

I'll be glad when FB becomes the new Myspace (never did that one) and fades away.

(And I will also add that I think the quality of communication is dropping as we move to more snippet based methods. One relative, for example, is quite brusque and even rude via FB. I don't think that she would call family idiots to their faces

For now.

openbook.org

type anything and see who has loaded that in their status.

Does any one really think it's free because FB is altruistic? lol!

Everything you type or upload is their property. They can load tracking cookies onto your computer and see the other things you do online when you're not on FB, regardless of privacy settings. Why would any one want that kind of stranger intrusion into their life, online or not.

If a stranger was following me around irl, I'd freak out. Not sure why it's so different for some when they're online.

He was quoted as saying, "They trust me, dumb f--ks" about FB users. He also settled something like $65m out of court to the person he stole the idea from.

openbook.org

type anything and see who has loaded that in their status.

Does any one really think it's free because FB is altruistic? lol!

Everything you type or upload is their property. They can load tracking cookies onto your computer and see the other things you do online when you're not on FB, regardless of privacy settings. Why would any one want that kind of stranger intrusion into their life, online or not.

If a stranger was following me around irl, I'd freak out. Not sure why it's so different for some when they're online.

He was quoted as saying, "They trust me, dumb f--ks" about FB users. He also settled something like $65m out of court to the person he stole the idea from.

I don't remember where, but Dh and I read somewhere that FB tracks your online activity for 2 years after you open an account, even if you delete your account.

I see where you are going with this argument, but FWIW, I hardly know anyone who has Facebook so in my backward's circle it wouldn't be all that useful for communicating.

Almost everyone that I know socially is on it. I rarely go anywhere where I don't hear about this or that "on Facebook." I am pertually out of the loop, but by choice.

I went to a work-related seminar in November, and they were strongly recommending that anyone in that profession avoid it entirely. I already figured that. ;)

I do find it convenient not to have to keep up with multiple and changing email addresses.

:iagree: I resisted for a long time, but I come from a family that isn't so great about staying in touch and everybody had face book so I got one just to be able to keep up with siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews. Otherwise I would never hear any thing. I like my cell phone and texting for the same reasons. People who would rarely pick up a phone and call are more then happy to text on a regular basis.

When asked, I tell people I am not on facebook because it is the Kraken.

That usually gives me time to get away or change the subject...

:lol: love it.

We're not on it. Yes, we're pariahs. But it does make it easier for others to gossip about us, knowing we won't see it! :tongue_smilie:

Facebook is purely entertainment. I have other forms of entertainment.

Actually, these days it's about much more than entertainment. It's about knowing what is happening.

I have teen dance students and I find that contacting them through Facebook is more effective than email.

I have seen field trips fill up on FB. If you have X spots to fill, and FB is the easiest way for the organizer to gather a group, it's going to get filled on FB. So, for limited-numbers events, my kids are glad I'm plugged in. If I wasn't, I'd have no right to complain about missing out. (I am surrounded by the technically gifted and live in a very tech-savvy town, so I'm guessing things are organized differently elsewhere.)

Yep, it's the way I find out about HS excursions, it's the way we communicate with our Scouts. It's the way I find out what courses places are offering.

I don't remember where, but Dh and I read somewhere that FB tracks your online activity for 2 years after you open an account, even if you delete your account.

How? I mean seriously, how?

If they install a cookie and you don't clear your cookies regularly, well yeah, I can see that. But it should be standard practice for you to regularly clear your cookies. If you don't, more fool you, it's not just FB that is tracking your every move.

I can't imagine that they install tracking software on your computer!