Menu

What has been your biggest win

Teaching writing without using just one curriculum, following TWTM principles and Bravewriter principles and using Writing Strands as well. Using the logic stage TWTM discussion ideas for literature.

Switching back to Saxon math so that DD would learn in the way that suits her best.

Robotics team.

Going to live plays and then talking about them.

I have more than one:

Switching back to Saxon math so that DD would learn in the way that suits her best.

Same here, exactly! Just recently dd told me that she is finally learning to like math again. She begged me to keep her with Saxon. My goodness, these are comments I NEVER thought I'd hear from this girl. And yes, her scores are improving!

2. Apologia General Science

Wonderful choice for dd! She loves science and is really getting a lot out of it.

3. Doing Bible study together instead of just handing her a book.

4. Using PHP curriculum for LA! Dd is having a great year with composition and grammar both. She thinks SWB rocks!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Now I'm curious ...... could you please tell me more about it? :bigear:

LM Montgomery constantly incorporates allusions into Anne's speech. We have spent hrs reading/watching the referenced works. We have also been studying the history of Canada and Britain. Some of the highlights are the following:

Oliver Twist

Great Expectations

King Lear

Othello

Lady of the Lake

Edinburg after Flodden (which she has completely memorized)

Elegy in the Churchyard

Cobbler Keezar's Vision

Bingen on the Rhine

The Seasons

The Downfall of Poland

The Dog at His Master's Grave

Several Cantos from Childe Harold's Pilgrimmage

The Snow Queen

Northwest Passages (she only read the first book, not the second)

The Character of Napolean

Siege of Valencia (we are about 1/2 way through this one. THis is our current project.)

The Green Gable Letters (we had a lot of interesting conversations while reading this one! We are 100% orthodox Catholics. LM Montgomery has some very, ummmm, "interesting" beliefs.)

Most of these selections are not ones I would have normally chosen for a 7th grader. Dd has absolutely loved them. She has developed a passion for poetry and a love for Shakespeare b/c of it. (As a matter of fact I am putting together both a poetry unit and a Shakespeare unit together for after Christmas vacation.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

6th grader loved the interaction w Mrs. Iverson, who taught young physics @ Landry Academy online. I loved the time management skills, note taking in the book and during class, and the indepth instruction.

The biggest discounts are summer one full year ahead. Example: summer 2012 you can buy for fall 2013-sp2014 at almost 50% off. Then the discount slowly decreases.

I'll second IEW. Although we're now in our fifth year, the fruit is getting very ripe. DD read her 3 paragraph paper on Alexander the Great to a friend and got wonderful feedback. She's retaining all of the stylistic techniques she's learned, yet now they sound more natural.

All of mine are for grades 7 and/or 8:

Language Arts

Figuratively Speaking

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Lightning Lit 7

Lightning Lit 8

Jump In writing (done in grade 8 with our struggling writer)

Megawords (BIG help in grades 6-12 with our struggling speller)

Math

Jacobs Algebra (done in grade 8 with math-minded student)

Science

Keeping science hands-on, discovery-based, beginning to predict and analyze what's going on:

Reader's Digest: How Earth Works, with supplementary books and a few kits, including TOPS Rocks & Minerals

Reader's Digest: How Science Works, with supplementary books and lots of kits, including a number of TOPS units (motion; cohesion/adhesion)

Logic

Blast Off With Logic; Orbiting with Logic

Fallacy Detective; Thinking Toolbox

Social Studies

Taking a year off from History cycle and focusing on world cultures/geography and comparative religions with loads of different materials.

Extracurricular

- homeschool group field trips designed esp. for grade 6-12 students

- participating on private school tennis team

- participating in homeschool Student Council

- homeschool public speaking co-op class

Edited by Lori D.
added info