Menu

I was reading the no money for christmas thread (and I am there since my separation) and I keep thinking that we need to share all the clever, inexpensive gift tutorials we see on the Internet. I'll start (and I'll add more because I have seen a bunch) with this:

Felt Play Mat

DSC00854.JPG

Felt Cookies & Cookie Jar (You could also add a Handmade Mouse Puppet & If You Give a Mouse a Cookie book)

a19.jpg

Turn a free cardboard box into something wonderful! (Lots of ideas)

340950008_3jvhp-L.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a cute picture to attach, but DH and I are compiling a list of rare and "special" privileges we are going to print on tickets and give to each of our kids. (DH was laid off over a year ago; things are squeaky-tight.)

So far on the list:

use the jets in Mom's bathtub

play a computer game instead of quiet time 1 day

call a long-distance friend during quiet time

choose supper for a day

Still brain-storming. :)

If your garage is anything like ours :o you could find plenty of wood scraps, hammer, nails, etc and make a little wood crafters kit - probably great for an 8-12yo and some simple sketches of possible projects (birdhouse, napkin holder, fort for plastic cowboys/Indians, etc.)

I know I'm like a broken record with this one, but my girls LOVE to get fabric for gifts. You can find really cheap stuff at Goodwill (especially check pillow shams and fancy dresses on $1/2 days). Also fabric remnants at Joanne's or fabric stores. Add some cheap thread, sewing needles, and small scissors in a basket and you've got a fantastic gift.

I'm sorry I have no online tutorials, but this might get you started on an idea or two.

If you have a bit of extra money each month, you can spread out the spending by giving certificates good for some fun, affordable outing. Bonus points if it's something you would possibly do anyway :D.

"good for one Sicily's buffet in January!"

"good for one visit to the skating rink in March!"

"good for one trip to the ice cream store in May!"

Don't make a coupon book; make each one a separate certificate that gets opened separately.

That noodle marble run is da bomb! That foam stuff you wrap plumbing pipes in also works, if you can't find noodles this time of year or if you happen to have some around. You can use it whole (as a tunnel) or it easily cuts in half. Add some masking tape to the mix, and older kids can make marble roller coasters!

Also, if you look at my blog, you'll see a doll and a teepee I made using fabric I had in my stash. The teepee was a bit of a challenge, but not too hard to figure out. I was going to sell it on etsy, but I think I might hold on to it for Christmas.

I am planning on making my older girls owl purses using thrifted fabric (like corduroy) .

6a0120a62a802d970c0154321393a3970c-800wi

I don't have a cute picture to attach, but DH and I are compiling a list of rare and "special" privileges we are going to print on tickets and give to each of our kids. (DH was laid off over a year ago; things are squeaky-tight.)

So far on the list:

use the jets in Mom's bathtub

play a computer game instead of quiet time 1 day

call a long-distance friend during quiet time

choose supper for a day

Still brain-storming. :)

Perhaps "Get to decide what movie to watch as a family."

So cool you are doing this. These gifts last all year.

Best Wishes to you and of course a wonderful job!

You know, I think I have a box of tiles in the basement that came with the house that were never used.

I could make coasters out of them!

Do you have instructions for those? Do I need a grip for the bottom? Oh, I see it says it does have them. Why does it call for paint? Can you tell I need instructions?????

Where do you get the glass tiles for the necklaces? At a place like Michael's?

Dawn

An old bookcase, or organization cubes from Target, can make an adorable dollhouse project. Google, or Pinterest, DIY dollhouse furniture for fun ideas how to fill it up with items from around your house :001_smile:.

My daughter is working on something like this:

http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2011/09/ideas-expedit-dollhouse.html

...for the 6-inch American Girl mini dolls.

DH and I are spending a lot less this year, but an idea we came up with (well ,it's an old idea!) is to create coupon books for each child. Each coupon is worth "One wrestle with Dad" or "one craft time with Mom" or "make cookies with Mom".......an activity rather than an item.

You can make them on the computer and decorate them with markers, put them on a keyring and wrap them. :)

I've decided to put some rocks in my kids stocking this year! I was looking at all the Klutz craft books and I found one for painted rocks. It only comes with one rock. I figure I will look outside or buy some cool rocks and give each a set of acrylic paints and they can go to it.

Also, I like the idea of intro. sewing stuff and searched around for craft ideas. I found a cute First Sewing book on Amazon and it got great reviews. So, I requested it from the library and plan to use the ideas to set up some stocking stuffer crafts. I'll be making a trip to the craft store!

Trying to think cheap and fun, oh and simple.

I've decided to put some rocks in my kids stocking this year! I was looking at all the Klutz craft books and I found one for painted rocks. It only comes with one rock. I figure I will look outside or buy some cool rocks and give each a set of acrylic paints and they can go to it.

Also, I like the idea of intro. sewing stuff and searched around for craft ideas. I found a cute First Sewing book on Amazon and it got great reviews. So, I requested it from the library and plan to use the ideas to set up some stocking stuffer crafts. I'll be making a trip to the craft store!

Trying to think cheap and fun, oh and simple.

Can you tell me what the book is, please? :D

You can also check Freecycle. I know people are cleaning out stuff this time of year and you might find some cool things! A friend of mine gave my son a completely awesome marble run set that she had found at the thrift store and her son had now outgrown. If I had known how awesome it was I would have had her give it to me secretly so I could use it as a gift. Would it be weird to send an email to friends and ask if they have anything they are ready to glean out, in good condition, for cheap? I know I have a great little pair of cowboy boots that a friend of mine might like, and I just gave another single homeschool mom friend a HUGE bag of clothes for her girls. I imagine she will use some for gifts.

Great ideas in this thread too!

Well, I can say that if I told my children their Christmas present would be an extra week off from school work, they'd be waxing rhapsodic! :D

If I did something like that, I'd plan board game days, Wii days, hiking days, favorite foods day, movie and popcorn day, cookie baking day (this would be the worst because I HATE baking), etc. and if possible, since my mom lives only two blocks away, I'd see if she could manage a grandparent day and send them down there so dh and I can have a day to ourselves which would be his Christmas present. :001_smile:

Faith

Well, I can say that if I told my children their Christmas present would be an extra week off from school work, they'd be waxing rhapsodic! :D

Faith

Mine, too :) Maybe I should give the DDs a few "free day" coupons. I love the car mat pictured in the OP. I'm going to adapt it to a Littlest Pet Shop theme for younger DD. She'll be over the moon :001_wub:

I love this thread. :D

Anyone have any ideas for a home made Star Wars gift for 8 yo DD?

Also, if you look at my blog, you'll see a doll and a teepee I made using fabric I had in my stash. The teepee was a bit of a challenge, but not too hard to figure out. I was going to sell it on etsy, but I think I might hold on to it for Christmas.

I am planning on making my older girls owl purses using thrifted fabric (like corduroy) .

6a0120a62a802d970c0154321393a3970c-800wi

Do you have a pattern for this? It's super-cute.

When our boys were younger they loved the privilege of staying up until midnight instead of having to go to bed at the regular time, which then was 9pm. They were allowed to watch a video and choose the games to play with (usually) Dad.

If your budget allows, let child choose a candy bar, pack of gum, small bag of chips or some other treat. It's a small thing, but when things are tight these can be a huge treat.

We still give ours a coupon for their choice of cookies and they get to hog a dozen to themselves. The rest are for the family to share.

ETA: We spread out the cost by giving them 12 coupons--one for each month--and calling it the Treat of the Month Club.

Edited by Cinder

I have a shoulder bag that I like in my closet. So, I went to look at it to see if it would work for a pattern to make the owl bag. And I *found my camera that I've been missing for months*!!!!!!! This thread has made me so happy as a result! :grouphug:

Edited by Mrs Mungo

You know, I think I have a box of tiles in the basement that came with the house that were never used.

I could make coasters out of them!

Do you have instructions for those? Do I need a grip for the bottom? Oh, I see it says it does have them. Why does it call for paint? Can you tell I need instructions?????

Where do you get the glass tiles for the necklaces? At a place like Michael's?

Dawn

Here's a ink on how to make coasters out of titles....

http://www.beneathmyheart.net/2009/11/cute-inexpensive-and-easy-christmas/

For the grandparents...

Print a 4x6 photo of each child

Purchase a 4x4 tile at hardware store (about 10-20 cents)

Apply Mod Podge to tile and place photo on top. Press to remove any air bubbles.

Using a foam brush, brush Mod Podge horizontally on top of photo (it will dry clear)

After first coat dries, apply Mod Podge vertically.

Use super glue to attach a ribbon to hang, purchase a small easel, or use as coasters.

Very inexpensive and super cute!!

For the grandparents...

Print a 4x6 photo of each child

Purchase a 4x4 tile at hardware store (about 10-20 cents)

Apply Mod Podge to tile and place photo on top. Press to remove any air bubbles.

Using a foam brush, brush Mod Podge horizontally on top of photo (it will dry clear)

After first coat dries, apply Mod Podge vertically.

Use super glue to attach a ribbon to hang, purchase a small easel, or use as coasters.

Very inexpensive and super cute!!

Pinterest has some Modge-Podge recipes; I think you can use 1/2 Elmer's and 1/2 water for a homemade mix.

DS will be getting this hobby horse for his 3rd birthday. It's really cute and I'm pretty sure I have everything but the eyes around here.

http://www.dandee-designs.com/2010/10/hobby-horse-tutorial.html

A friend cleaned out her garage of toys her DS was too old for and handed the down to us. We hid them and DS is getting Mega Blocks and a toy dump truck robot for Christmas.

My dc are painting an "original art piece" for their grandparents on canvas. The canvas's were pretty cheap and also on sale at Hobby Lobby. I did buy some acrylic paint, but I think any paint would work. (we just didn't have much) I gave them the idea of making a tree with their hands and fingerprints. The big kids (10 and 8) will use their hands to make the trunk and their fingerprints to make the branches and then the 19month old's hands will be the leaves.

Another idea I had when I was in HL looking around, was taking one of those large letters they sell in white and decorating it with paint, hot glueing jewels or buttons or shells or whatever (feathers, flowers, ribbon, crafty things you might already have laying around) and then drilling a small hole to thread a cute ribbon through or installing an inexpensive hook on the back for a wall decoration. Use the first letter of their name and it can be used on their room door or in their room somewhere. My dd asked for wall decorations, so I think I'm going to do this.

Pinterst is my new obsession! SO many good ideas on there and many are cheap!

I've done coupon books before. Some of the ideas I used were:

bake cookies, pick dinner, date with daddy/mommy, take a bubble bath, computer time, cd/mp3 player time, craft time with mommy, snuggle time with mommy/daddy with a book they choose, back rub or massage, walk with mommy/daddy.

Edited by Dianne-TX

DD is painting watercolor family portraits for each of our families. They are hillarious...

we bought some of the nice almond bark Girhardelli's at Sams and bought pretzels and dried apricots to make up gift plates. Pretty cheap one big bar will make at least 15 plates up. I bought both chocolate and white chocolate.

This will be perfect for my dd who is always trying to make tents out of blankets strewn across the living room furniture. Thanks for the ideas!

Those are perfect--I'll have to see how much it is to get the supplies. I also LOVE the "lanterns" at the end of the post. What a great idea! I think I'll get the stuff and let the boys make the lanterns. :D

On a different thread today, I asked about dress-up clothes. One poster had the fabulous idea to build a dress up chest out of thrift-finds and solicite friends for old prom/bridesmaid/holiday dresses. Combine with a few dollar store accessories and glitter, it would be so great. Makes me wish I had girls..... almost. :D

Michelle, are these purses hard to make? Are they machine sewn or hand sewn? Dd13 has really gotten into handmade things. She was knitting a year ago but stopped. Now she's teaching herself how to crochet. She bought a book to learn stitches. I am planning on getting her a basket/box with a few things like yarn, different size needles (she has only 1 crochet needle), and small packages of accessories the patterns call for like googly eyes. But I like the idea of giving her a project that she isn't already learning. Those owl purses look so cute!

(Dare I admit my cheapy sewing machine is stored somewhere in the attic? :tongue_smilie:)

how-to-make-a-puppet-theater-7_thumb.jpg

Tutorial

I made this project a few years ago. Mine is blue. It is made out of a hutch top turned upside down. The back is taken off and a new mdf board is placed on the front leaving the top shelf exposed. I painted mine with blackboard paint and hung a curtain. The kids have used it for a store & a lemonade stand as well. It is a great toy. If found my hutch top at the thrift store for a few dollars.

Edited by Michelle My Bell

Michelle, are these purses hard to make? Are they machine sewn or hand sewn? Dd13 has really gotten into handmade things. She was knitting a year ago but stopped. Now she's teaching herself how to crochet. She bought a book to learn stitches. I am planning on getting her a basket/box with a few things like yarn, different size needles (she has only 1 crochet needle), and small packages of accessories the patterns call for like googly eyes. But I like the idea of giving her a project that she isn't already learning. Those owl purses look so cute!

(Dare I admit my cheapy sewing machine is stored somewhere in the attic? :tongue_smilie:)

I have not made them yet. I do sew a lot however and I will post some sewing kit ideas for girls later.

Totally into the A-frame pup tents. I sent the link to the hubby, who is already working out what he needs to make a couple for our nieces as gifts, and we're going to make one for our little guy, too (who was sitting on my lap when I opened this thread and was in total awe over the tents...he has been busy telling me everything he would do if he had his own for the living room ever since)!

Way awesome thread! :001_smile:

Don't make a coupon book; make each one a separate certificate that gets opened separately.

I know I'm late in adding to this thread. Sorry! But I had a friend who did something similar to the monthly coupons. She bought a calendar with a theme her dd loved and then went through it and attached small envelopes on each monthly page. Each month, the dd was able to open the envelope that corresponded to that month. She said her dd loved it! Oh, but they kept the calendar in plain sight so that the dd didn't just go through the whole calendar and peek at the slips. :tongue_smilie: