Menu

If you liked the novel "The Help" ...

... what other novels have you really liked?

I feel like reading a really good novel, but it is so hard to find one I really like. I generally don't like "chick-lit, romance" stuff, but at the same time, I don't want something very heavy, either.

My favorite novel in the last couple years has been The Help, so I'm trying to find something else I like as much as that. I also fairly enjoyed a Jodi Piccoult book called Plain Truth, but there was several things that made my eyes roll (mostly involving the goofy lawyer romance).

Oh, and I usually like anything with a courtroom scene.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I loved The Help. I like a lot of different genres (my favorite is historical fiction), but like you, I don't like the "chick lit" type stuff.

You might like:

Water For Elephants

The Kitchen House

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (has some pretty heavy stuff)

I Capture the Castle

Which Grisham books have you read? The Confession was not great imo but pretty much anything else he writes, I usually can't put down.

I read The Firm over a decade ago when the Tom Cruise movie came out. I enjoyed it some, but never felt compelled to read something else by him. Maybe I should try another ...

What I loved about The Help was the interaction between the characters. I found it similar to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

http://www.amazon.com/Guernsey-Literary-Potato-Society-ebook/dp/B0015DWJX2/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Edited by LibertyH
Cuz' I cant spell wurf nuthin ;o)

Here are some of the books I've really enjoyed this year. Some are social consciousness fiction. Others are non-fiction, interesting or fun.

• The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
  • The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
  • One of Ours by Willa Cather
  • My Antonia by Willa Cather
  • The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett
  • A Proper Pursuit by Lynn Austin
  • Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
  • Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
  • Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
  • Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff
  • State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
  • Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
  • The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
  • The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass
  • Mothers and Other Liars by Amy Bourret
  • Digging to America by Anne Tyler

Water For Elephants was a great book.

I know it's been out for a while, but The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk was set in the same era (I think), and was a pretty good read too.

I really enjoyed reading the Secret Lie of Bees. I wasn't too thrilled with the movie, but that's generally the case.

Not courtroom, but the other novels I have enjoyed recently (and I LOVED the Help)

Water for Elephants

Friday Night Knitting club

Cutting for Stone

Poisonwood Bible

Nicole

The Thirteen Tale - just plain good

To kill a Mockingbird - southern , court room

Midwives - court room

:iagree: Agreeing with all of these, especially Cutting for Stone. How about The Book Thief? Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? I remember loving The Rapture of Canaan years ago. And Mr. Emerson's Wife.

My mil says that I will love Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and I've heard great things about Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption. I read The Forgotten Garden; many love it. Same for The Secret Life of Bees. I just didn't get into them. YMMV.

Oh - maybe Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner?

I read The Firm over a decade ago when the Tom Cruise movie came out. I enjoyed it some, but never felt compelled to read something else by him. Maybe I should try another ...

Testament is good.

As far as other recommendations, :bigear: I haven't had much time for non-educational reading in a while, I'd love something else like The Help for a nice break.

Oh, the Flavia de Luce mysteries by C Allen Bradley are good. Flavia is quite the character. The titles are kind of funky, I think they go like this:

A Red Herring With Mustard

The Weed That Ties the Hangman's Bag

And I can't remember the third.

Seconding Guernsey Lit Society. If you like mystery, Agatha Christie is great.

I agree- Water for Elephants was great.

I just finished State of Wonder by Ann Patchett recently, and that was a great book. I liked her novel Bel Canto, also.

Anything by Barbara Kingsolver, but Poisonwood Bible or The Bean Trees are super.

I like Adriana Trigiani books also. I've enjoyed all of them, but Lucia, Lucia was my favorite.

:iagree: A bit out there, but interesting spin. I like a wide variety, so I can't really think of much that matches up with The Help (btw, I loved it, my fifteen year old son loved it, and my thirteen year old daughter loved it...and my husband loved it when we read parts out loud).

I'm in the middle of a Harry Turtledove book, In the Presence of Mine Enemies (a "what if Hitler had won" type of book from the perspective of a handful of "blended in Jews").

Once Upon an Autumn Eve is pretty good also. And The Pink Carnation series!

I've been reading Midwives every time I go to the laundromat (it's their book). Very good read.

The oldest three kids and I have been reading I Am Number Four (yes, the movie was based on it) and it's sequel, The Power of Six.

Edited by mommaduck

I enjoyed The Help, but not as much as others. I just finished the best book I have ever read. And I've read a few ;)

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Yes, it has a great story but it is also artfully written. I was so sad when I finished it. I read it with nothing but the book jacket to go on, but apparently it's been hyped up. I think that often ruins a book (people expect something different than they get) so I would go into it without reading too many reviews.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is also very good - a little more heavy.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is another that I enjoyed.

I'm fairly picky about books, but these all get my thumbs-up.

I loved The Help.

LOVE LOVE LOVE The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. They are addictive. Alexander McCall Smith is a literary genius. Also La's Orchestra, Portuguese Irregular Verbs and series (same author).

I also really like The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and sequels. So fun.

Also, oldies but goodies are the Mitford books if you didn't read them back in the day.

OH and the gem of gems... The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This one will make you laugh and cry and love invisible people.

I am just starting The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I've heard from an absolute bibliophile that it is proof that good novels are still written.

I loved The Help. I like a lot of different genres (my favorite is historical fiction), but like you, I don't like the "chick lit" type stuff.

You might like:

Water For Elephants

The Kitchen House

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (has some pretty heavy stuff)

I Capture the Castle

Glad to see you recommend The Kitchen House! It's up next for me!

The Thirteen Tale - just plain good

To kill a Mockingbird - southern , court room

Midwives - court room

Be careful with The Thirteenth Tale. Man, it was a great book and the story really grabs you, but there is some twisted stuff in there. Not for the faint of heart. But if you aren't too ultra conservative when it comes to novels, it's a great one.

Two that I have just read that aren't really romances but good books are

They Almost Always Come Home about a woman dealing with the "what ifs" when her husband doesn't come home on schedule from a hunting trip

http://www.amazon.com/They-Almost-Always-Come-Home/dp/1426702388/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322600167&sr=1-1

Walking On Broken Glass which is the story of a lady entering rehab for alcoholism

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Broken-Glass-Christa-Allan/dp/1426702272/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322600255&sr=1-1

I got both as free Kindle downloads from Amazon and was very pleasantly surprised at the books. Ones that were quick and lighter reads but yet made you think.

I need to request The Help from the library now.

Jenny, I LOVED The Help as well as many others suggested here.

I also am not into chick-lit or romance/heavy romance.

I used to love John Grisham's older stuff, but not his most recent stuff at all.

Some of my favorite reads that others may or may not have mentioned:

ABSOLUTE AND ALL-TIME FAVORITES

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende and anything else by her, but this is her best. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Allende :)

OTHER BOOKS THAT I HAVE LOVED (not in any particular order)

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books - very sweet and light - and quite funny

The Secret Life of Bees

Books by Maeve Binchy – light, fluffy, but also very accurate about human interactions and relationships

The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver (but might be too heavy for you at the moment)

OTHER BOOKS THAT I HAVE LIKED (not in any particular order)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency

• 4 weeks later...

Subbing to this thread and resurrecting it. Sounds like many of you have the same or similar taste as I do. I have really enjoyed Water for Elephants and the Help and The Poisonwood Bible.

Trying to get some of my book list together for 2012.

Dawn

Subbing to this thread and resurrecting it. Sounds like many of you have the same or similar taste as I do. I have really enjoyed Water for Elephants and the Help and The Poisonwood Bible.

Trying to get some of my book list together for 2012.

Dawn

Try reading my other thread about a great way I compiled a book list.

Also, I just finished Thirteenth Tale, thanks to this thread, and liked it a lot.

OP