Menu

34 weeks pg and still stuck on baby names!

Help!

We need a boy choice and a girl choice, since we don't know what we're having.

Our other kids are Eliot and Ivy, so I'd like something in the same genre- a real name, but not too common.

For boys, we have so far both liked- Theodore, Arthur, Ian, Julian... but are still open to more ideas.

Middle name for a boy will probably be James or Nicholas

For girls we have... NOTHING!!! Yikes!

Middle name for a girl... NO CLUE!

Any ideas?

Aw, I feel for you! This little guy wasn't named until he was 3 days old. DH originally vetoed his name, but we needed something and we weren't agreeing at all.

Both those names are right around 300 on the popularity list, so I checked there and I think a few from the same area on the list would be really nice.

Corbin

Simon

Myles

Declan

Gregory

Graham

Jasper

Felix

Louis

Fiona

Hazel

Lucia

Phoebe

Cora

Juliet

Norah

Kira

Georgia

Here are a some lists ... classic girls, more classic girls, classic boys, vintage names for boys. Of course skip over the ones that strike you as too "out there", but also check popularity on those if that really matters to you. Some are hugely popular and some are rare, they're just grouped together because they have the same "feel".

And here are some suggested brother/sister names from the Baby Name Wizard.

Camille

Daphne

Theresa

Corinne

Hope

Eva

Bennett

Duncan

Reid

Hugo

Edited by SunD

According to "BabyNameWizard," people who named their children Eliot named other children:

Andrew

Jack

Oliver

Thomas

Andrea

Britton

Brooklyn

Eloise

Johanna

Rachel

People who named their children Ivy also named other children:

Annabelle

Eden

Fiona

Lilly

Paige

Olivia

Violet

Zoe

Eli

Judah

Luke

Oliver

Samuel

Will

It looks like Oliver is on both lists, so scientifically speaking, it should be right up your alley!

I see you're Catholic and a few Catholic families I know have Rosalinds. I just love the name Rosalind, even if hidden in the middle. :001_smile: she can be Rosie when little, Rosalind when big and Roz somewhere in between if she wants.

Congrats!

I just found Roslyn (variant of Rosalind) this morning, again got a no from DH. Our list of boys names we both like just keeps getting longer though...

Lydia

Tessa

Kimberly

Oliver

Isaiah

Patrick

(Edited to add) Liam

Those are a few I like that aren't too common.

If there was any chance at all of adding another girl to our family I would have a tough time choosing between Claire and Tessa. I love the way both of them sound and feel when saying them :tongue_smilie:

Edited by In2why

Ooh, I hate it when dh vetoes everything--especially when he isn't doing any legwork to find some names! :glare:

Have you checked Nymbler.com? It lets you put names you like (such as Eliot and Ivy) and then it comes up with names you'll probably also like. It is based on The Baby Name Wizard book.

I won't even mention the girl names my DH likes, as I think they are all hideous and I'd hate to offend anyone.

Part of the issue is that he is Swiss and I am American, so he loves all these super common American names that I can't stand and always picture as names for women in their forties... haha.

I am going to show him these lists though and tell him to either buckle down and find me ten names he likes, or else pick something from these lists you are all coming up with!

I won't even mention the girl names my DH likes, as I think they are all hideous and I'd hate to offend anyone.

Part of the issue is that he is Swiss and I am American, so he loves all these super common American names that I can't stand and always picture as names for women in their forties... haha.

I am going to show him these lists though and tell him to either buckle down and find me ten names he likes, or else pick something from these lists you are all coming up with!

Monica, I think your names are English. Ivy and Eliot are Brit sounding to me. I have an Elliot too, and my oldest is Lucy. If we had more I would have stuck to Brit names:

Henry

George

Simon (my FAV but doesn't go with our last name)

Oliver

Liam

Archie

Ella or Stella

Elinor

Charlotte

Jane

Alice

Amelia

I'm sure I'm the only person for whom this would matter, but with two children whose names start with vowels, I'd want a third name that also started with a vowel.

I love the Oliver/Olivia suggestions, though Olivia may be too popular for the OP.

Also,

Owen

Alan/Allen

Adam

Elias (but perhaps too close to Eliot)

Otis

Orson

Eden

Arwen

Alexia

India

Evelyn

Eleanor

Iris

Opal

We had a hard time deciding on dd2's name. I was really pulling for Evelyn or Lydia, but dh did not warm to those names. Finally - and I was kidding, really - I tossed out Bridget, and he loved it. And then I realized that I loved it, too, especially the name's history and meaning. I think we finally agreed on her name when I was around 35-36 weeks pregnant, so I know exactly what you're going through right now. (Except that we had a boy's name picked out from when I was pregnant with my first dd - Benjamin. And when it was clear that there would be no Benjamin, dh started calling my camera Ben. That camera's replacement is Ben2. :))

I'm sure I'm the only person for whom this would matter, but with two children whose names start with vowels, I'd want a third name that also started with a vowel.

Actually I've been debating this ever since I found out I was pregnant! I really like both Oliver and Olive, but it makes my husband think of Popeye. Also I'm afraid that if we go with a vowel name, and then end up having a fourth kid (highly unlikely) we'd be stuck trying to fit into the vowel pattern again. But I do think the consonance of three vowel names sounds soooo pretty. Hmmmm......

Actually I've been debating this ever since I found out I was pregnant! I really like both Oliver and Olive, but it makes my husband think of Popeye. Also I'm afraid that if we go with a vowel name, and then end up having a fourth kid (highly unlikely) we'd be stuck trying to fit into the vowel pattern again. But I do think the consonance of three vowel names sounds soooo pretty. Hmmmm......

I agree about the consonance of the three vowel names (hence my suggestions). :lol:

Hey, if you have number four, there are still plenty of 'a', 'u', and sometimes 'y' names to consider. ;):D

Edited by Stacia

Our kids never have names until the nurses are yelling at us that we need to LEAVE, and we can call with a name up to 24 hours after we leave.

You know what helps me? Having them. With one of them, I had a name picked out. Dante. I loved it. Still do. But when he was born, he was NOT a Dante. So that's how we passed the time ...trying to think of names for that little guy. And, his name is perfect for him.

Our kids never have names until the nurses are yelling at us that we need to LEAVE, and we can call with a name up to 24 hours after we leave.

You know what helps me? Having them. With one of them, I had a name picked out. Dante. I loved it. Still do. But when he was born, he was NOT a Dante. So that's how we passed the time ...trying to think of names for that little guy. And, his name is perfect for him.

:lol: Where we live we have up to 28 days after the baby is born to come up with a name for the birth certificate. All of our kids were nameless untill nearly the end of the 28 days except our 3rd child. The nurses thought that she probably would not live so on the thrid or fouth day after her birth they told us that we needed to come up with a name right away.

We did and her name means "God has answered me." God certainly did give us the answer that we hoped for as our little one is now a wonderful healthy 6 year old.:)

Aw, I feel for you! This little guy wasn't named until he was 3 days old. DH originally vetoed his name, but we needed something and we weren't agreeing at all.

Both those names are right around 300 on the popularity list, so I checked there and I think a few from the same area on the list would be really nice.

Corbin

Simon

Myles

Declan

Gregory

Graham

Jasper

Felix

Louis

Fiona

Hazel

Lucia

Phoebe

Cora

Juliet

Norah

Kira

Georgia

Here are a some lists ... classic girls, more classic girls, classic boys, vintage names for boys. Of course skip over the ones that strike you as too "out there", but also check popularity on those if that really matters to you. Some are hugely popular and some are rare, they're just grouped together because they have the same "feel".

And here are some suggested brother/sister names from the Baby Name Wizard.

Camille

Daphne

Theresa

Corinne

Hope

Eva

Bennett

Duncan

Reid

Hugo

:iagree: That's a great list.

I like Julian a lot for a boy, and Norah and Lucia for a girl.

• 3 weeks later...