Menu

How the heck am I supposed to prep the kids to live on their own if

I am so with you.

For some reason we are extending infancy out for way too long. This extended adolescence stuff is ridiculous.

But it is all over - most of the parents I know are all for it, and see me as mean for wanting my boys to be responsible, get a job at 16, and move out at 18.....

:grouphug:

My 16 y.o has 2 bank accounts. One checking, one savings. I guess I'm listed on the account as well, but that doesn't stop it from being "her" account from my point of view and the practical side of it. Her account is not linked to mine.

The signs on the wall at the doctor's office says she can go back without us. I can't remember the last time I went back with her at the orthodontist or dentist offices.

:grouphug:

-crystal

society won't let me? My eldest is 17. She (finally) got a job this fall. After applying and looking for two years. For basic, only addition and subtraction knowledge necessary, retail jobs. Like grocery stores, or big box retail stores, or various fast food chains. No one would accept her applications because she was under 16...then because she was under 18...then because she was under 21...She was finally able to get a job at Panera Bread - but she's not allowed to use the bread slicer (a knife is fine, but an enclosed, automatic slicer is not...yeah, that makes sense).

I can answer to this part. I used to hire 14 & 15 year-olds to train to work in my business, and assist. When the economy started going bad (in 2001) I raised the age to 16, because they were now available. Now I rarely hire students younger than 18, because there are just more people available to work.

As far as the job situation, one word: LIABILITY. In this sue happy country, businesses have to worry about parents suing if little Susie cuts her finger. I'm sure the insurance is not worth the trouble.

Not too long ago, someone here posted about their pediatrician recommending their young teen go back into the exam room without mom. So it must depend on the office policy.

I do not get the bank account thing. How weird! I think I'll call my bank and check their policy on that.

I agree with you that all of this is ridiculous. We are raising kids to be adults, not to stay children. It is very hard to do.

I can answer to this part. I used to hire 14 & 15 year-olds to train to work in my business, and assist. When the economy started going bad (in 2001) I raised the age to 16, because they were now available. Now I rarely hire students younger than 18, because there are just more people available to work.

Yep - I've heard that unemployment rates for teens has gone way up - more people wanting to hire the adults that want to work.

It is a shame though - because I know my sons will want to work, and it is such good experience (imho) to work before laeaving home.

I hear you.:grouphug:

:iagree:Liability in both the job and dr's. I think the next biggest factor is simply the numbers of people looking for jobs, which allows business to be picky.

Bank...Try a savings account with a debit card or another bank. Both of my kids have had accounts since they were in elementary school.

society won't let me? My eldest is 17. She (finally) got a job this fall. After applying and looking for two years. For basic, only addition and subtraction knowledge necessary, retail jobs. Like grocery stores, or big box retail stores, or various fast food chains. No one would accept her applications because she was under 16...then because she was under 18...then because she was under 21...She was finally able to get a job at Panera Bread - but she's not allowed to use the bread slicer (a knife is fine, but an enclosed, automatic slicer is not...yeah, that makes sense).

So, she has her first two paychecks. Time to open an account, right? To open a STUDENT checking account, she needs to be 18! At 18, she can open any *&^*& type of account she wants!

The dr's office won't even let me send her back to the exam room alone. She can drive herself there, show the insurance card, and pay for the visit out of her own earnings....but she's not allowed to see the dr alone?

How the heck am I supposed to prep the kids for life on their own? How am I supposed to teach them work/school/life balance, money management, basic interactions like making&keeping appts, how to interact with medical professionals, and a whole host of other things? I guess I just shove them out the door at 18, say have fun at college and on your own, good luck.

:rant: Thanks for listening...my dh appreciates the break:lol:

I hear ya on the job front. We have been trying to get my dd a job since she was 16, with a work permit in hand we have hit every retail store in the mall with a "now hiring" sign only to be told they no longer hire under 18. We buy tons of art supplies for her two college classes at a small, local store. She was so excited to see a sign in their window, but they also turned her down due to her age, which is now 17. We started looking at fast food, but even there they are no longer hiring under 18. It is pretty difficult for her to save for college and get any kind of experience if she can not find a job. :confused:

Amber in SJ

Around here most jobs won't hire anyone under 16 since they can not use anything that is considered "equipment" and must be 18 to work "dangerous equipment".

My dd started working at her dance studio last year. I've been taking her paychecks and depositing or cashing them using my account (since she is paying most of her money to us - long story). Every single time I do they ask me who she is (different last names) and confirm that she is still under 18. Once she turns 18 they will no longer allow us to cash or deposit her paychecks under our account. Unfortunately it's not that easy to find free checking accounts without a minimum balance and since she only makes minimum wage, I'm not sure what we are going to do then. I know way back when I was in college, I was able to get a student account but my mother's name was also on it.

As for doctors offices - most of the doctors I've been to with my kids (Ped and gyn) have a sign saying the child has the right to talk to the doctor WITHOUT a parent present. It does say that in those cases a nurse will stay in the room with the doctor at all times.

I do agree that in a lot of cases we (as in society) seem to be sending mixed signals to teenagers - grow up but not too much.

We are having the same problem here. When my ds was 15 and couldn't find a job everyone told him to come back when he was 16 and he would be hired. Now he is 16.5 and has been looking for a job since he was 15 and can't find anything! Part of him getting a license is a job...which he is not able to find. It's so frustrating! I was working odd Mall jobs at 14 and McDonalds at 16. And he has severe asthma and allergies, so an outdoor, farm-type job is a no go. It's so frustrating to him.

In our area, if a parent is set on their child getting a job at 18 and leaving home, they better be prepared for their child to be homeless if they insist that they go out into the world. The unemployment rate in the tri-county area around us is 20%. There is no job for a high schooler. At 18, kids are competing with adults with bachelor's and master's degrees for basic jobs and moms who need to get back into the workforce because dh's pay as been cut. These kids do not have a chance. My brother made his son leave at 18 and his boy ended up moving out of state in order to get a job and it paid so little, he ended up sharing a two bedroom apartment with three other people. My brother thought he was doing his son as favor "making him be a man", but in the end, having missed many meals for not having enough money to pay for groceries and still go to school part-time, my nephew has about ZERO relationship with his father. So, in this economy, I'd be careful about making requirements about teens having jobs. Those jobs aren't out there.

Our bank allows any child to have a savings account and they can get a checking account at 12 as long as a parent signs on. This is normal here because being rural and agricultural, the kids still on family farms, raise steers, feeder pigs, market pens of chickens, rabbits, etc. for sale through 4-H. The bidders are very generous on behalf of the kids. I've seen smallish steers go for $1800.00 with the top winner at $4000.00 The kids have checking accounts and run their own little mini-farm businesses with the help of their parents and 4-H club leaders. So, kids handling large sums of money is very common here even if the teens can't find regular work through standard employment situations.

Ds 13 has a savings account and debit card for it. We don't let him use the debit card because of security reasons...this child loses EVERYTHING! ;)

As for the doctors, most of the reason they don't want the teens back there without a parent is because the teen is not legally responsible for anything yet. A parent is still going to have to sign the "accepts full responsibility for payment should the insurance not pay in full" form, updated HIPPA forms, etc. Additionally, a child under 18 cannot legally sign for most medical procedures accept abortions, so that leaves the nurse trying to track down a parent if they need to draw blood, take a urine sample, etc. They have to get the parent's consent to pay for such tests and authorize the release of the results to the teen. In Michigan, a 17 year old cannot call and ask for the results of even a simple finger stick if the parent has not signed a release. It's a liability, legal hassle extraordinaire! Grrrr...I hate it too because if they live away from home after 18, I think back to when I was really, really sick in college living in the dorms and trying to figure out how to manage the whole doctor's office thing, they are thrown into the deep end of the pool with strange medical personnel to boot.

Faith

I went to a conference and heard Dr. Robert Epstein talk about the very issues you mention here. He believes our culture doesn't know how to help children make the transition from childhood to adulthood and we extend adolescence far longer than necessary.

Here's his book, The Case Against Adolescence. You are singing his song.

BTW, he is a big advocate of homeschooling and finding students like yours apprenticeships so they can participate in meaningful work guided by a adult.

I agree totally with teens being responsible and learning adult skills. I wonder about the idea that kids need to leave home at 18 though. That is to me a cultural practice based on particular circumstances, and those could easily change. A society where home ownership was more expensive for example might not be able to sustain that. And I actually think there are a lot of benefits to multi-generational homes for parents, kids, and grandparents.

I don't see any evidence that it stops kids from maturing as some people (I don't mean in this thread) seem to think. I think there are other issues - like not being able to get a job, or parents taking too much responsibility for older kids.

As far as the job situation, one word: LIABILITY. In this sue happy country, businesses have to worry about parents suing if little Susie cuts her finger. I'm sure the insurance is not worth the trouble.

Not too long ago, someone here posted about their pediatrician recommending their young teen go back into the exam room without mom. So it must depend on the office policy.

I do not get the bank account thing. How weird! I think I'll call my bank and check their policy on that.

I agree with you that all of this is ridiculous. We are raising kids to be adults, not to stay children. It is very hard to do.

I'd try a different bank. I know several teens here (still in HS) that have checking account and debit cards; in 2 cases i know the mom is on the account -- but the check and card are in the cards.

As far as the Doctor's office; I'd say it is the doctor's perference and likly based on CYA and not wanting to be along with "children" with a parent or legal gaurdan there. Again, change doctors if this bothers you or her.

As for the job issue -- libaliblity issues, rules placed by the company's insurance company, and legal issues. I am, in my spare time, an asst manager at a c-store. we are limited in the ages we can hire; but frankly most of the 16 to 18 year olds, actually 16 to 20 we have or have had are just not responsible. **shrug** My SIL is a manager at walmart she is limited in her hiring because there is so much in the store that is age limited (the box crusher in the back for example) and it just don't do to hire staff that you can't use.

I for one doubt my boys are leaving here at 18, not fully any how -- they will go to college -- but this will still be their home.

The only jobs I've seen in the last 4 years that consistently hire under 18 yo persons are lifeguarding and water safety instructors. I haven't seen anyone who look under 20 at the movie theater, most grocery stores, fast food and retail in a while.

13 yo dd has been pet sitting since she was 9 and could expand her business if she had the time. She's done well with the money she earns. She plans to take lifeguarding as soon as she turns 15 and WSI when she turns 16. We have a few indoor acquatic facilities she could work. She already volunteers for adapted acquatics programs. She likes volunteering, but she's become aware that this could a foot in the door at that facility.

16 yo ds has not had a job recently. He did deliver a local weekly paper at 13, but the paper is no longer being delivered (they leave at businesses now). He has allergies and cannot pet sit or do lawn care for that reason. He hates swimming and wouldn't take lifeguarding. For 2 summers he has visited retail operations to get a job and had no luck. He complains about not having money, but he knows if he swam he'd have at least seasonal work, not necessarily year round. All his friends who took lifeguarding worked in the summer and some have jobs in the winter too.

The one thing about lifeguarding both my kids have brought up is the responsibility for someone's life. I think a lot of teens don't recognize the seriousness of that. It bothers my dd enough that I think it would make her good at the job. It bothers my ds so much that it would make it hard for him so it's best he not do that job.

Both oldest ds and dd have accounts at a credit union and have had them for 5 years.

My dd started working at her dance studio last year. I've been taking her paychecks and depositing or cashing them using my account (since she is paying most of her money to us - long story). Every single time I do they ask me who she is (different last names) and confirm that she is still under 18. Once she turns 18 they will no longer allow us to cash or deposit her paychecks under our account.

Maybe you could add her to your checking account.

I'm not sure why it's such a problem in some areas to get a checking account for a child- I got each of my dds checking accounts with debit cards at 13 yrs old.

I hear you.:grouphug:

:iagree:Liability in both the job and dr's. I think the next biggest factor is simply the numbers of people looking for jobs, which allows business to be picky.

Bank...Try a savings account with a debit card or another bank. Both of my kids have had accounts since they were in elementary school.

Yes, at Schools Credit Union, all five of my children have savings accounts with a really good rate of interest. My youngest got hers at 7 years old. I am on the account, but it is theirs to all of us.

My boys are really getting frustrated and a bit angry about it.

They want to work, we could all use the money, and they are nice guys, but none of that matters is this crappy economy combined with fear of liability and extended adolescents.

They don't feel entitled to a job. They don't expect an easy paycheck. But geez. A chance to earn their way isn't too much for a young man to want out of society. Is it?

They want to work, we could all use the money, and they are nice guys, but none of that matters is this crappy economy combined with fear of liability and extended adolescents.

They don't feel entitled to a job. They don't expect an easy paycheck. But geez. A chance to earn their way isn't too much for a young man to want out of society. Is it?

have they checked the c-stores? Ours DOES allow us to hire at 16 though it is generally not what we do -- there are a lot of issues to contend with (tobacco, alcohol, and so on). But might be worth a try. Our store and 2 others here locally are hurting for staff -- there are jobs out there.

I have nothing to add except to commiserate--

My 17.5 yo hasn't been able to find a job either--she's gone everywhere. Initially, we wanted her to find a job (we live within walking distance) locally and then get her license so she could pay for insurance, gas, etc. Well, it became apparent rather quickly that that wasn't going to happen so she has her license and we are paying for insurance.

She has volunteered at our local zoo and is part of their program for teens. She has over 1000 hours under her belt, is involved in the Leadership corp, has assisted with camps, etc., and has interned at her dance studio. Still--nothing. It's pretty disheartening.

She does have a student account (with debit) as does my ds. Here, the bank lets you open one (with a parent) at 13.

The Dr. thing has me stumped. Here, the dr.'s office doesn't want you back there with a teen. She had to repeatedly state that, yes, she wanted me to accompany her.

I share the frustrations of the OP.

If the jobs aren't there, why not encourage entrepreneurship? Even if they don't make a ton of money, think of how much they'll learn.

My kids both have savings accounts at a small, local bank. I think they can get checking accounts when thy turn 13.

The checking account age is also due to legal issues. The minimum age for a person to have a checking account (without a parent co-owner) varies across the country due to state contract laws.

We just opened savings accounts for our kids with no problem at a credit union. They can get debit cards at 13. Checking comes later. But there should be no reason they can't have a place to deposit and withdraw money.

My dh is an owner/operator of a quick service (aka fast food) restaurant. He has always hired teens, including ones as young as 14. The economy has affected his employment practices in several ways. First, the applicant pool is much larger. He (as well as the whole chain) has always been very particular about choosing high quality employees as customer service is a KEY component in their business. Any 14 and 15 year olds that he hired were exceptionally mature. But frankly, there are so many adults that want jobs now that it is very difficult to hire 14 and 15 year olds. The labor laws just don't allow 14 and 15 year olds to work that many hours and only at certain times (it is VERY difficult to schedule young teens legally). Also, teens (esp young teens) require more training and are generally not as productive and aren't allowed by law to work with certain equipment or perform certain jobs. In a downturned economy, it isn't good stewardship to be wasteful with labor, which means that it is more difficult for my husband to hire anyone, but especially teens. It's also more risky because teens generally move on much more quickly. He's had several that he hired, spent a lot of money to train and uniform, and then a week later they quit. This makes him be even more cautious about who he hires. Also, if you have someone that can work any shift, which many adults can, they are more easy to employ that someone who can only work after school and on weekend and need to work around extra curricular activities. In the past, the adults applying for positions at his restaurant were very comparable to teens in work experience and aptitude (for lack of a better word). Many times, teens were better. But with the economy such as it is, there are many more qualified adults applying.

have they checked the c-stores? Ours DOES allow us to hire at 16 though it is generally not what we do -- there are a lot of issues to contend with (tobacco, alcohol, and so on). But might be worth a try. Our store and 2 others here locally are hurting for staff -- there are jobs out there.

You mean convienence stores? Like gas stations? None of them hire under 21 here and they haven't for many years.

If the jobs aren't there, why not encourage entrepreneurship? Even if they don't make a ton of money, think of how much they'll learn.

:001_huh: This is such a convoluted thing to tell someone trying to earn money. It takes having money already to start any entrepreneur endeavor. How are they supposed to earn money to start their own anything? That is so frustrating and rather unrealistic, IMO.

The bank account thing isn't unfamiliar to me. I went to college at 17 and had to have my grandma's name on the account in order to have a checking account. So I think that's been around for awhile (at least for 11 years lol). I'm thinking by 'student' checking, they mean college student. (Which are usually 18+)

Then again, why is 18 the magic age when she is supposed to have mastered and accomplished all of those things? (I didn't read all of the other responses.)

I don't care about my kids moving out at 18. Where they live does not determine maturity in my mind.

I also don't agree with solo dr appts. IMHO, having another pair of eyes and ears and a second voice of someone who has a personal stake in the patient is always a smart and helpful precaution.

Learning how to get about in the world independently is an important skill for many reasons. At the very least, it builds confidence and experience. The late teens and twenties are prime years to try new things, take opportunities and risks, and I don't want these years of unique opportunity wasted.

The dr's office won't even let me send her back to the exam room alone. She can drive herself there, show the insurance card, and pay for the visit out of her own earnings....but she's not allowed to see the dr alone?

I sit in the room with my dd but I don't answer questions or talk to the doctor much. If the doctor tries to address me, I redirect him/her with, "Ask [dd]. It's her appointment and she's nearly an adult."

Dd has been ordering her own medication every month from our mail-order pharmacy for 2 years. A few months ago, someone wouldn't allow her to do it because they said only an adult parent or guardian can do it. I had her call back and say she was me.

Tara

We haven't had these problems. Our kids all have accts with us on them and have for a long time. My ds got his first job just weeks after turning 16. Finding a job was a full time job in itself. By 16 a kid should have a resume of activities and volunteer positions to show prospective employers their abilities. I still take my kid to the dr., heck sometimes I wish I could accompany my dh to the dr. It will all work out. 18 isn't a magic number.

I realize this varies somewhat by geographic location but...

Ds was 12 when he started his lawn mowing business. He made between $400-$500 per month during the summer. That was just doing lawns in our neighborhood. (He wanted to start small, and since he was just starting I wanted him to start the business close to home.) He put fliers on each door. Then he knocked on the doors a week later and introduced himself. Even though people typically don't appreciate soliciting, many were impressed to see someone so young be ambitious. He started off with two lawns and other neighbors saw him and asked him to do theirs. He charged less than the going rate for lawns which also made him more business. He always did a good job and always showed up when he said he would. Almost everyone gave a tip, so he received more that the amount he asked. He realized that some people had lawn mowing services, and it would be hard to get new business. He went to homes that were recently sold. He went to the new owners right after they moved in and introduced himself in order to get their business before they hired a lawn service.

Older ds worked as an assistant swimming instructor for the city pool when

he was 14. He's been working there four years and is now a lifeguard. He makes about $4k each year now working part-time. Once they were 16, they received further Red Cross certification and then were paid $10/hr.

Older dd also worked as a swimming instructor. These jobs require some Red Cross training, which they received through the city. Since there is some training required, these jobs are typically easier to get since not everyone can apply for them.

All my kids had bank accounts from a young age.

As teenagers, applying at local shops, fast food restaurants, etc. is a hard way to get a job. Those places have scores of applications from people older and with more experience. My kids have always made good money from a fairly young age, but they did it a little differently than most kids.

When the economy is bad, one sometimes has to find other ways of getting a job. If someone is in a very depressed area, I believe it may be almost impossible. But, it's important to realize that there are opportunities in most places. I think sometimes it's a cop-out to say, "the economy is bad, and there aren't any jobs." The jobs are out there. (Ok, in a some areas this isn't the case.)

While many people are struggling financially, it's important to remember that *some people do have plenty of disposable income*. It's a challenge, but still possible to find those people and get work from them.

If your DD has specific skills, I know that both my DD's dance and gymnastics programs use talented teens as assistant instructors, especially in preschool and early elementary age beginners classes, where it's really helpful to have multiple adult or close to adult hands. I also hire assistants for summer camps and some of my music classes who are in their teens-although they can't be licensed by Kindermusik to teach on their own until they're over 18. There's one 13 yr old who I'd hire tomorrow if she could be licensed-she's homeschooled and has been helping out in classes with her mother since she was old enough to stop being a student in the classes (even at age 5-6, she was in infant and toddler classes with her mother, caring for her "baby" and helping hand out instruments)-and at age 13, she's more competent when it comes to managing a group of preschoolers and keeping them on task than most of my college music ed majors.

Edited by dmmetler

I agree. It's all arbitrary (on the part of the banks, jobs, etc.), but again, why is 18 the "magical" age?

Because at 18, regardless of parental opinion, they are *legally* in their own to sink or swim and the consequences of sinking can last well beyond the teen years. Hence the high rate of bankruptcy for 20 somethings.

My kids don't swim, so that's out.

And there are no lawn mowing jobs here. There seems to be a gaping disparity. Those with funds want a golf course yard and higher professional companies to do it or those who don't have the funds or don't care about a golf course yard who just do it themselves or make their own teen do it.

It is for this exactly reason that all my kids will be doing the apprenticeship program in high school, they start it at 16, some will allow them to start at 15. Even if they never stay in the trade they apprentice in they will have work experience under their belts, money for college and a chance to be out in the world preparing for adulthood.

And there are no lawn mowing jobs here. There seems to be a gaping disparity. Those with funds want a golf course yard and higher professional companies to do it or those who don't have the funds or don't care about a golf course yard who just do it themselves or make their own teen do it.

This seems like...a defeatist attitude. There are professional lawn mowing services here too. There are those who have their teens mow here too. But, when people see a young, wide-eyed, eager kid at their door who is charging less than the going rate, a few of them agree to try him out. It doesn't take a lot of lawns to make money quickly. Then more people see the same kid doing a few lawns and word spreads...

The going rate here is $25/lawn. He charges $18. Most people just give him a $20 bill. Five lawns in one week is $100. It's a lot of money for a twelve year old. It took some persistence, but it's been a great learning opportunity and is showing him how to operate a business and get customers.

This seems like...a defeatist attitude. There are professional lawn mowing services here too. There are those who have their teens mow here too. But, when people see a young, wide-eyed, eager kid at their door who is charging less than the going rate, a few of them agree to try him out. It doesn't take a lot of lawns to make money quickly. Then more people see the same kid doing a few lawns and word spreads...

The going rate here is $25/lawn. He charges $18. Most people just give him a $20 bill. Five lawns in one week is $100. It's a lot of money for a twelve year old. It took some persistence, but it's been a great learning opportunity and is showing him how to operate a business and get customers.

No, I'm not defeatist. I am a realist.

Out of 146 houses in my subdivision of solidly middle class homes, 18 are for sale due to changes in household economics, some of them are vacant.

If the boys want to mow yards, it would mean loading up the mower and leaving our neighborhood to do it. I don't have a vehicle we can load a mower into. I don't mind them charging less than the going rate, but I do want them to charge enough to cover their expenses. After all, the point is to make money, not donate lawnmowing services. The gas for the mower, weedeater line, vehicle gas. Never mind that it is not summer, so it's a moot issue.

ETA: I was simply pointing out, that what worked for your kids won't work for mine.

I have no doubt there is work out there, but it is danged hard to come by.

And I also think your notion that people will give a job (much less a tip) just because someone young and eager shows up willing to do it is a bit .... naieve to expect. Nice when it happens, but no, I sure would not expect it.

Edited by Martha

Side question: What do you mean by "my kids don't swim"? Do you mean they don't like to swim or cannot swim? I'm just curious.

Okay, back to thread topic. :D

Side question: What do you mean by "my kids don't swim"? Do you mean they don't like to swim or cannot swim? I'm just curious.

Okay, back to thread topic. :D

My kids love water and won't sink like a stone, but that is not enough to be a swimmer. Champion dog peddling isn't a skill someone will pay for.;)

My kids love water and won't sink like a stone, but that is not enough to be a swimmer. Champion dog peddling isn't a skill someone will pay for.;)

Ok gotcha. If you do happen to find someone who will pay for champion dog peddling, let me know, cause I'm their girl! :lol:

I hear ya on the job front. We have been trying to get my dd a job since she was 16, with a work permit in hand we have hit every retail store in the mall with a "now hiring" sign only to be told they no longer hire under 18. We buy tons of art supplies for her two college classes at a small, local store. She was so excited to see a sign in their window, but they also turned her down due to her age, which is now 17. We started looking at fast food, but even there they are no longer hiring under 18. It is pretty difficult for her to save for college and get any kind of experience if she can not find a job. :confused:

Amber in SJ

That's pretty much how it is around here. Impossible for those under 18 to find anything outside of mowing, babysitting, pet-sitting unless they have a really good connection (like the employer LOVED an older sibling that worked there).

Thank goodness they don't have families to support & student loans to repay, because from what I've seen--it's pretty much the same all around. Dh, after *years* of looking for a job, w/ a BA & around 10 years' experience, is grateful to be working the kind of job that would have belonged to the 16-20yo crowd a few years ago.