Menu

Am I the Only Christian Who Thinksthis is Totally Ridiculous???

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JesusWeen is expected to become the most effective Christian outreach day ever and that is why we also call it†World Evangelism Dayâ€.

And Jane Seymour's open heart pendant design is actually going to become the universal symbol for hope and love.

Good luck with that.

I especially liked this part:

Our mission is to ensure that JesusWeen becomes a global phenomenon.

:lol: That tickled me as well, I love it when folks from the US assume their traditions are just as big in other places, bless them.

Am I the only one who read it, "Jesus...Win!" but with a hispanic accent? I thought they were making fun of Mexicans. So confused.

Or Aussies, they talk like that too. Don't think it's going to be a hit downunder, but then halloween is not that big either.

And here I thought it was silly that for our church's trunk or treat, each trunk must be decorated in a Bible theme. Seriously? I can understand no blood, gore, witches, goblins, etc....but a Bible theme? Could I at least put up some cob webs or something?

I'm as conservative a Christian as they come....but Jesus Ween and Bible themes?

When I was a kid and went to a church Halloween party and had to come dressed as someone from the bible, I went as Lots Wife. I wore all white and had white powder in my hair...for after I'd turned into a pillar of salt.

Jesus Ween???? Yeah, they could have chosen a better name LOL.

And here I thought it was silly that for our church's trunk or treat, each trunk must be decorated in a Bible theme. Seriously? I can understand no blood, gore, witches, goblins, etc....but a Bible theme? Could I at least put up some cob webs or something?

I'm as conservative a Christian as they come....but Jesus Ween and Bible themes?

Here's a gruesome theme. What fun to create this for Bible Theme Night!

Judges 3:20-22

20 Ehud came to him while he was sitting alone in his cool roof chamber. And Ehud said, “I have a message from God for you.†And he arose from his seat. 21 Ehud stretched out his left hand, took the sword from his right thigh and thrust it into his belly. 22 The handle also went in after the blade, and the fat closed over the blade, for he did not draw the sword out of his belly; and the refuse came out.

:lol:

All I ever see when I look at that pendant design is a naked woman turning around. Cleavage above, ample tush below!

I thought the same thing! LOL

Well sheesh, maybe Mary wasn't into extended breastfeeding?

Or why we need to be weaned off Jesus. Would make for an awesome Atheist Halloween campaign name. :D

I am so glad you responded because I was starting to think I was off my rocker. My Mom was really mad when I started laughing but it just made NO sense orally - Jesus Weans! Say what? My first thought was that Mom had signed up for another one of those, "Showing your breasts in public is against Jesus" kinds of things. Because as all good Xtians know, Mary used Similac. :glare:

And then Mom sent the website and that made slightly less sense. But I didn't have the heart to tell Mom that she needs to start praying for us on the 29th because that's the first of our four/five (if I can get back here in time) ToTing sessions.

By hook or by crook, the kids WILL get my money's worth out of those costumes!!!

And Jane Seymour's open heart pendant design is actually going to become the universal symbol for hope and love.

Good luck with that.

:lol::lol::lol:

I was so confused about WEEN. It wasn't until I started reading the thread that I realized it was about Halloween. :confused:

i had absolutely no idea what the "WEEN" meant either:tongue_smilie:. when someone mentioned "holyween", it finally clicked.

really. this organization needed a focus group before launching this, lol.

by the way, there was a thread a few weeks ago asking what each person's favorite discussions have ever been on the board. this thread is in the lead for me. my husband is hearing me laughing & snorting reading the comments here.

Jesus Ween???? Yeah, they could have chosen a better name LOL.

Ha! My church had a please-wear-Bible-themed-costumes-only fall festival many moons ago. I made a pea pod costume for my infant and a Roman emperor costume for my toddler. I figure God created peas on Day 5 right? And Paul was going to Rome to see the emperor.

I think you could make a case for your cob-webs. :D ...spiders, bats, owls, black cats. Oh yes!

Oh brother... One of those moments when I am sure God rolls his eyes.

ETA: And this thread is dangerous...I'm reading it while dh is sleeping and having a terrible time not laughing out loud. Try snorting and snickering silently, I keep sounding like I'm stifling really explosive sneezes. The Ned Flanders remark about did me in...LOL!!! :)

Edited by JustGin

Oh! How about the kids dress like mummies and say they are Lazarus? You could have a trunk full of bats and tomb wrappings. I don't think they really thought through the Bible scene/characters demand.

When branding goes wrong.

Horribly, horribly wrong.

I went to the site, and now I'm laughing at the description of how it started. Apparently, the pastor had a bunch of mini-Bibles he would give out, and he decided that Halloween would be the perfect time to pass them out, and "it was much easier than expected."

Kids are walking up to your door with an open bag, how hard did you expect it to be?? :lol:

Horribly, horribly wrong.

I went to the site, and now I'm laughing at the description of how it started. Apparently, the pastor had a bunch of mini-Bibles he would give out, and he decided that Halloween would be the perfect time to pass them out, and "it was much easier than expected."

Kids are walking up to your door with an open bag, how hard did you expect it to be?? :lol:

Traditionally, I believe Halloween is the hardest time of the year to give kids things. they're totally not expecting it or anything...

Is ChristmasWeen next? Look how enthusiastic all these kids are for my mini bibles! They're up at 6:00 a.m.! :D

Traditionally, I believe Halloween is the hardest time of the year to give kids things. they're totally not expecting it or anything...

Is ChristmasWeen next? Look how enthusiastic all these kids are for my mini bibles! They're up at 6:00 a.m.! :D

We already have ChristmasWeen!:smash: :smash:

:lol:

One could get very dark with Bible themes.

Anna is going as Mummy/Lazarus.

Nate is going as Ehud, the king who was so fat that when he was stabbed to death his stomach engulfed the sword. He's putting a pillow in his shirt and sticking a bloody sword handle on the front.

And Abigail wants to go as Jezebel. Dead make up and a bloody costume with stuffed dogs sewn to her clothing (the dogs licking up her blood.)

Nate is going as Ehud, the king who was so fat that when he was stabbed to death his stomach engulfed the sword. He's putting a pillow in his shirt and sticking a bloody sword handle on the front.

And Abigail wants to go as Jezebel. Dead make up and a bloody costume with stuffed dogs sewn to her clothing (the dogs licking up her blood.)

You are my heroes. But wasn't Ehud the one who did the stabbing, and the king had a different name?

Also, their whole premise is on an archaic definition? I think "Ween" and I think of a band. I thought it was another Christian rock band initially. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ween When I see "JesusWeen" I think, "Do they know that Halloween = Hallow- e'en = hallow evening = all hallow's eve"? it's not hallo-ween.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing--they don't even know what the name Halloween means.

If you don't want to do Halloween, celebrate Reformation Day instead! (Providing you are Protestant, of course! :001_smile:)

Eglon was the king, Ehud did the stabbing, just to clarify. ;)

Otherwise, :thumbup: and we demand photos!

Wait - Christians already took over Yule, already took over Eostre, already took over all the fun holidays that had to do with drinking and sex and celebrating the sheer joy of it all and made them boring and family-friendly.

And now they're after Halloween?

It's time to organize a protest and take over Wall Street or something!

Eglon was the king, Ehud did the stabbing, just to clarify. ;)

Otherwise, :thumbup: and we demand photos!

Believe it or not, that story rarely comes up in kids' Sunday School or in the story Bibles. Go figure.

Salome with John's head on a platter would also be cool. Or an Egyptian plague victim. Job on a bad day. The righteous who came out of the tombs when Jesus arose. The 4 horsemen. Wow, this has really expanded my costume horizons.

Wait - Christians already took over Yule, already took over Eostre, already took over all the fun holidays that had to do with drinking and sex and celebrating the sheer joy of it all and made them boring and family-friendly.

:iagree:

Yes - please let my Deist kids have fun on Halloween :)

We'll be taking over Talk Like a Pirate Day next!!!