Menu

Im really upset.....ok I am LIVID!

My ds also has a peanut allergy so I know where you are coming from. I agree with the general consensus of the other posters that the school should be following the rules to keep your daughter safe.

I wanted to ask how your daughter is doing? Did she have a reaction from touching the peanut? If not, that is a good thing! Sometimes incidents like this can help you see the severity of the allergy. I'm not trying to diminish your concern for your daughter's safety, I'm just trying to find one positive to this situation. Blessings!

Actually it does not tell about the severity of her allergy:( Our allergist told me you cannot predict whether the reaction will be mild or fatal. My ds tested as severely allergic on testing 2 years apart. He only had a very mild reaction in his only exposure to nuts and we have successfully avoided them since them. I asked the allergist if you could tell if it would always be mild or severe in my ds's case and he said you cannot predict this. He did say thank God that we brought him in for testing which we waited 1 and 1/2 years to do hoping that I was wrong about his reaction or that he would outgrow it. I was wrong:(.

So in other words, I would go by testing and not by reactions from what I understand but ask your doctor.

Edited by priscilla

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO this is a discipline problem. How can a teacher not see a kid eating in their class? I would send them to principle's office for breaking the rules.

When you have 30 kids in a class, it is not hard for them to sneak food/cellphones/notes/rude gestures/etc. when you're working with someone else.

Teachers have much bigger discipline issues to deal with--eating in class isn't likely to be on many teachers' radar. When you've got one 8th grader who consistently refuses to do any work at all, another who sneaks Victoria's Secret catalogs in her math book and then flashes them at other students, and another who spends as much time as possible talking, making faces, and distracting others, the kid in the back munching a Snickers may not be noticed.

This also assumes the principal cares. My principal wouldn't even back me up over much more serious issues like gay jokes and direct defiance/insubordination. I wouldn't even dream about sending a kid to the office for eating in class!

I'm very sympathetic to your cause, but I don't think they can in any way guarantee a nut-free classroom. I just don't because people just don't understand how severe it can be and probably never will. Even friends of ours, who know the severity and love him, have goofed. Really severe goofs. And you have to refight the battle new teacher, new set of parents, on and on.

I do understand the severity of some allergies, and I still couldn't maintain the supervision standards that some posters are suggesting in this thread. Of course I would try -- I did try when I was teaching ps and never had a dangerous incident. But, in my opinion, no one -- even the parents of the allergic child -- can guarantee a nut-free setting in a public school. And no school should be guaranteeing it.

My ds also has a peanut allergy so I know where you are coming from. I agree with the general consensus of the other posters that the school should be following the rules to keep your daughter safe.

I wanted to ask how your daughter is doing? Did she have a reaction from touching the peanut? If not, that is a good thing! Sometimes incidents like this can help you see the severity of the allergy. I'm not trying to diminish your concern for your daughter's safety, I'm just trying to find one positive to this situation. Blessings!

She is doing ok. I am still unclear if she actually touched the nut or if she touched the package containing the nut. Even after I spoke with the VP I have not heard from her teacher so I could ask specific questions about the incident. The teacher did make her throw her apple out as a precaution b/c of the debris on the table. They made her wash her hands and drink water [?? this confuses me]

We have only had ONE incidence of peanut ingestion. It was a butterfinger. She started vomiting and swelled up really bad, hives and wheezing. Er visit was in order and they were able to get it under control. She has had surface exposure and her lips swelled and broke out in hives. She only needed bendryl that time. :)

When you have 30 kids in a class, it is not hard for them to sneak food/cellphones/notes/rude gestures/etc. when you're working with someone else.

Teachers have much bigger discipline issues to deal with--eating in class isn't likely to be on many teachers' radar. When you've got one 8th grader who consistently refuses to do any work at all, another who sneaks Victoria's Secret catalogs in her math book and then flashes them at other students, and another who spends as much time as possible talking, making faces, and distracting others, the kid in the back munching a Snickers may not be noticed.

This also assumes the principal cares. My principal wouldn't even back me up over much more serious issues like gay jokes and direct defiance/insubordination. I wouldn't even dream about sending a kid to the office for eating in class!

:grouphug: I think the teachers should have the back up of the principal and the parents. I think teachers should be able to send kids to the principal and have their support. The rules for no food in classroom and consequences should be clearly laid out. Obviously, a teacher cannot catch everything but an attempt should made. I think schools in general have discipline problems these days compared to when I went to school in the 60s and 70s and part of this problem is definitely the fault of the parents too. Man, we had the fear of God when we were in highschool:D

Actually it does not tell about the severity of her allergy:( Our allergist told me you cannot predict whether the reaction will be mild or fatal. My ds tested as severely allergic on testing 2 years apart. He only had a very mild reaction in his only exposure to nuts and we have successfully avoided them since them. I asked the allergist if you could tell if it would always be mild or severe in my ds's case and he said you cannot predict this. He did say thank that we brought him in for testing which we waited 1 and 1/2 years to do hoping that I was wrong about his reaction or that he would outgrow it. I was wrong:(.

So in other words, I would go by testing and not by reactions from what I understand but ask your doctor.

exactly. We only found out about her nut/peanut allergy as well as other allergies b/c I fed her scramble eggs for the first time when she was a year old and laid her down for a nap and heard her wheezing...I checked on her and OMG I had to call 911. I initially thought it was an insect bite...didn't even cross my mind it was food related.

Her RAST numbers are still really high from what I understand. BUT we are not longer allergic to sesame! So I am hopeful she can outgrow some of her other allergies.

When my oldest has to be on Penicillin we have to be very careful about exposure to her with this one as well.

The allergist told me her reaction could worsen everytime she has a reaction?

To those mentioning IEPs, I think you're thinking the wrong thing. What you need to look into is a 504 plan - that allows for accomodations due to a "disability". Like someone else said, not breathing is a disability. Type 1 diabetics are allowed 504 accomodations due to their disease. A 504 would allow you to say things like "epi pen carried by adult accompanying student at all times", "student in peanut free classroom", "epi pen administered by closest adult immediately upon notification of exposure", "parent called after epi pen administered", etc. 504 is a federal protection document and the best way to cover your bases - although, as others have said, I think fighting for "no exposure" is a losing battle - the 504 will allow you to have teeth behind the treatment plan.

Only posting to point out that since (thank-goodness!) nothing bad happened after exposure this time some of the school folks may well figure nothing bad will ever happen, and that the possibility of a bad reaction is exaggerated. My fear would be that they will let their guard down even more :( . Just something to be aware may happen, unfortunately.

Complacent - is that the word I want? The school folks may become complacent.

Edited by JFSinIL

why would I post this on the afterschooling board when it has nothing to do with "afterschooling" . I homeschool my first and afterschool my 2nd why does it matter? I posted on the general board.

I agree that it's hard to manage allergies especially life threatening. I live it every day. I just wish they had followed protocol. I now have zero faith that they can follow directions in relation to a specific event and I now have to figure out what I am doing.

I just think it shouldn't necessarily be surprising to get a "you should homeschool" response on a homeschool board. I'm completely in support of public school, have used it, and may use it again at some point. Absolutely, your teacher should have followed protocol. Although, if anyone is guaranteeing a nut free school or even classroom, I think they're being dishonest. I honestly thought that might be a more receptive and supportive audience.

I just think it shouldn't necessarily be surprising to get a "you should homeschool" response on a homeschool board. I'm completely in support of public school, have used it, and may use it again at some point. Absolutely, your teacher should have followed protocol. Although, if anyone is guaranteeing a nut free school or even classroom, I think they're being dishonest. I honestly thought that might be a more receptive and supportive audience.

The comments about "I should homeschool" didn't upset me. I was trying to avoid the debate of it all ;) .

I was looking for feedback from everyone in regards to this situation b/c Im sure there are/were some btdt families.

I would love to homeschool both...it's just a work in progress right now.

My son is tree nut and sesame anaphylactic. Most young kids who die of anaphylaxis, at least tree nut ana, die at school because the school/nurse didn't follow protocol after exposure. So I'd take this as my cue to make sure each person (nurse, teacher, aides, etc.) are very clear on exactly what to do in the case of exposure. I'd also assume everyone may need periodic reminders. Life of my child trumps the risk of being a pest.

We were already homeschooling when my son developed his anaphylaxis so it wasn't a factor in our decisions. Still I was glad to realize I didn't have to send him off hoping the school handled it properly.

I have an allergic child, but she is not anaphaytic. I am sorry about this whole situation.

As others have mentioned, a 504 plan sounds like a path you should insist upon. It is a legal document. 504s are for kids who have

a physical or emotional disability, or who is recovering from a chemical dependency, or who has an impairment (i.e. Attention Deficit Disorder) that restricts one or more major life activities.

(from http://www.theparentaladvocate.com/what-is-a-504-plan.htm)

Eating is a major life activity.

Hope the Meeting goes well.

why not put the teacher 'on the beach" without pay for 3 days, 5 days, 7 days? if he or she was in any other profession that was responsible for the safety of the children / people in his or her care and made a lethal mistake -- the punishment would that or more.

I think if schools would have policies like this, they would either have very few teachers, or they would have to raise teachers' pay to be commensurate with the risk.

My son at the age of 4 was always asking his teachers, "Does this have peanuts or peanut butter in it?" He would never eat a strange cookie or candy unless he knew EXACTLY what was in it. He is certainly not touching peanuts!

Christine

This is my son, too, although his allergy is tree nuts, not peanuts. But, I would not feel safe sending him to school right now. He is 8 now, and can read ingredients for himself, but I think total protection in a school environment is next to impossible, especially for young ones.

I was talking to his doctor yesterday at his yearly physical, to find out about a class or something for kids with allergies and how to deal with them, epi-pen, etc. Apparently there is something like this getting started in our community. I know in a few years he will be going to overnight boy scout campouts without us parents, but by then he will be 11. Still, I think a little extra training would be in order.

It's awful that it happened, and I'm *truly* not trying to be an oafish clod, but I don't understand how the classroom could be guaranteed to be nut-free. While the school can remind other families, and they can confiscate items when they find them, how on earth can they possibly be expected to guarantee that grandma won't pack a K's lunch one day and not know about the nut issue that another kid might have? :001_huh:

I understand the anger about the treatment plan not being followed, but I don't understand the anger about the fact that we can't catch every allergen.

We live in a world that contains nuts, even though that's really, really unfortunate for some of the folks living here.

:iagree:

They should have followed protocol. I'll go that far. As for the rest, I think you are fighting a battle that probably can't be won.

I'm very sympathetic to your cause, but I don't think they can in any way guarantee a nut-free classroom. I just don't because people just don't understand how severe it can be and probably never will. Even friends of ours, who know the severity and love him, have goofed. Really severe goofs. And you have to refight the battle new teacher, new set of parents, on and on.

Again though, not following the rescue plan? That is inexcusable.

One of my children has an extremely severe nut allergy. But I don't necessarily want lobbying for "nut-free" zones and tables.

OP, I'm also concerned with you that protocol was not followed and the Epipen was locked up.

As far as no peanuts in the room -- well, I don't want my child around kids eating all kinds of stuff that could trigger a reaction but I am more concerned that a caregiver (in this case, a teacher) understands how to treat a reaction when (and not if) she has one. I don't even expect our home to be nut-free. I bake as much from scratch as I can but how do I know if there wasn't an accidental contamination? It does happen.

I also keep in mind that all of my anaphylactic reactions have been to things I was not aware I was allergic to, because the allergies were so rare, few doctors test for them. I'm allergic to nuts but that's never been why I needed to use the Epi-pen.

So, there I am in a nut-free zone having a reaction to something and not believing it's anaphylactic because I didn't eat anything containing or contaminated by nuts (later testing showed a rare, severe allergy to an ingredient common in, of course ... nut-free items). And by the time I was gasping and falling over in pain, I was confused and refusing to get my Epi because I knew what I had only eaten one, simply prepared item with no ingredients that I "should" have reacted to. (People in the middle of these reactions don't always make the best choices, as I discovered.) So, my point is that treatment awareness is my priority attempting 100% guaranteed, complete avoidance (although I do think reasonable adjustments should be made, but not everyone agrees what is reasonable and we dodged the issue this year by homeschooling.)

For the future of all future students I would make a formal complaint to the registered nurses assosciation in your state about the nurse who didn't follow procedure. This is just not okay, and complaining to the school principal doesn't seem like enough. She should not be a registered nurse if this is the lack of professionalism she is going to display.

As for the teacher I would find a way to make a complaint against her also that went outside of the principal if I could. I would talk to the principal, absolutely, but there are professional standards that people should be held to.

I am one that has a hard time understanding the craziness behind nut allergies. My oldest has had an anaphylactic reaction to cats but I can't force kids with a cat to change into sterile clothes at the door. She knows the signs and knows to get help but it doesn't make me worry less. Teachers cannot possibly watch out for all allergens for all of their students. I feel so bad for the OP and that your dd could have been harmed but I think there are many parents with that same fear and no help.

I have been reading this thread since yesterday, and was hesitant about whether to post or not....

In my opinion this whole issue is not about whether to homeschool or not, it is not about other kids potentially bringing "dangerous" (for your child) food, it is not even about a teacher/school system who might, or might not be able to deal with this serious disability appropriately.

This is about your child apparently being 60 sec. away from death if ANYONE makes a mistake.

I find this comparable to letting your child play on the side of a highway and count on everyone driving straight - because they are supposed to!

People make mistakes. All the time. If my child's life is that acutely at stake I cannot imagine counting on others (in your case many others!) - to keep him/her alive.

And, for what it's worth, as a teacher I would refuse to have a child in my class under these circumstances. No matter the consequences.

How can I possibly assure the safety of my charge, while being a teacher to 20 other kids at the same time?

To the OP, yes, certainly, speak to the teacher and school, share your outrage, share the gravity of what happened...you might be saving some (other) child's life in the future!

...but then go home and think really hard if you want to gamble again - because that is what you are doing.

I have been reading this thread since yesterday, and was hesitant about whether to post or not....

In my opinion this whole issue is not about whether to homeschool or not, it is not about other kids potentially bringing "dangerous" (for your child) food, it is not even about a teacher/school system who might, or might not be able to deal with this serious disability appropriately.

This is about your child apparently being 60 sec. away from death if ANYONE makes a mistake.

I find this comparable to letting your child play on the side of a highway and count on everyone driving straight - because they are supposed to!

People make mistakes. All the time. If my child's life is that acutely at stake I cannot imagine counting on others (in your case many others!) - to keep him/her alive.

And, for what it's worth, as a teacher I would refuse to have a child in my class under these circumstances. No matter the consequences.

How can I possibly assure the safety of my charge, while being a teacher to 20 other kids at the same time?

To the OP, yes, certainly, speak to the teacher and school, share your outrage, share the gravity of what happened...you might be saving some (other) child's life in the future!

...but then go home and think really hard if you want to gamble again - because that is what you are doing.

:iagree: Wow, this is so very well put! I have the same feelings, and you articulated them perfectly.

I would be annoyed over 2 exposures in 2 months - it is a horrible track record.

I would be LIVID protocal was not followed after the incident.

Even before reading that the epipen was in a lock box in the office :confused: I was thinking that the risk was too great to sends the child to school.

The Epi-pen in the lock box would be a deal breaker for me. It is borderline useless there.

I would not send her back to school until the epi-pen was some place accessible. Most kids around here, even young ones, carry it on them.

Whatever you do with the school - be firm, be polite, put it in writing, figure out the next steps and agree with them on a timeline for implementation.

As for the numerous posters who say "yeah, but it is the schools job to keep it nut free" I have to respond that that point is almost moot. Yes - it is a guideline on paper - but the reality is nut-free is borderline impossible to achieve in a school that has food sent in from home - and this school in particular has failed twice. They are supposed to do it - but are not, and you do not gamble with a childs life.

I would be annoyed over 2 exposures in 2 months - it is a horrible track record.

I would be LIVID protocal was not followed after the incident.

Even before reading that the epipen was in a lock box in the office :confused: I was thinking that the risk was too great to sends the child to school.

The Epi-pen in the lock box would be a deal breaker for me. It is borderline useless there.

I would not send her back to school until the epi-pen was some place accessible. Most kids around here, even young ones, carry it on them.

Whatever you do with the school - be firm, be polite, put it in writing, figure out the next steps and agree with them on a timeline for implementation.

As for the numerous posters who say "yeah, but it is the schools job to keep it nut free" I have to respond that that point is almost moot. Yes - it is a guideline on paper - but the reality is nut-free is borderline impossible to achieve in a school that has food sent in from home - and this school in particular has failed twice. They are supposed to do it - but are not, and you do not gamble with a childs life.

I don't think it is too tall an order to keep a classroom nut free. It could simply be done by having no food in the classroom. I get it that some kids may break the rules but disciplinary measures for student infractions and support for the teachers should be in place.

Other posters mentioned that sending a highly allergic child is like letting your kid play on the side of the highway. I get it and we homeschooled initially for this reason partly. OTOH, every kid is entitled to a free, appropriate, public education. Not everyone has the luxury of homeschooling and I do believe it is a luxury.

I'm not the OP, and I may have missed a post or two, but I was pretty sure it was a different parent with the children who had 1 minute from exposure. I didn't think that parent put their child into school, but again, I may be mistaken.

When I ran parks and rec programs, I had a child with a far less severe peanut allergy. I still knew where the epi was and how to give it, and that it needed to be given right away if there was exposure. It's a big deal, and I'm appalled that the teacher doesn't recognize it. A food item slipping under the radar isn't nearly as worrying as the teacher and nurse completely ignoring protocol.

I'm not the OP, and I may have missed a post or two, but I was pretty sure it was a different parent with the children who had 1 minute from exposure. I didn't think that parent put their child into school, but again, I may be mistaken.

When I ran parks and rec programs, I had a child with a far less severe peanut allergy. I still knew where the epi was and how to give it, and that it needed to be given right away if there was exposure. It's a big deal, and I'm appalled that the teacher doesn't recognize it. A food item slipping under the radar isn't nearly as worrying as the teacher and nurse completely ignoring protocol.

According to what I read on FAAN, I believe, all peanut allergies should be taken very seriously and that there is no such thing as a mild peanut allergy. Also, unfortunately the overwhelming majority of kids do not outgrow peanut allergies from what our allergist said:(.

:iagree: 100%

I don't think it is too tall an order to keep a classroom nut free. It could simply be done by having no food in the classroom. I get it that some kids may break the rules but disciplinary measures for student infractions and support for the teachers should be in place.

We disagree. There are numerous posters who think it is too tall an order to keep a classroom nut-free. The thing is - this is a human life we are gambling with. You might be right - maybe some schools can be nut free - but what if you are wrong? A childs life is too large a thing to gamble with.

In this world of allergies, the best solution might be for all food in the school to come from a cafeteria.

I do hear your point that not all families can HS (and that would make an interesting debate!) but I would live in poverty before sending a child into a life threatenning environment.

As per the bolded - kids are often not responsible for what their parents pack and should not get in trouble. Ex - in grade 1 I sent my DD in with a peanut butter sandwich. I forgot - and the school did notice, called me, scrubbed her hands, etc. I would have been quite angry if she got in trouble for my mistake.

What I got from this was that your daughter was exposed and DID NOT HAVE A REACTION. The school may have the same take-away message.

Either way, after now two failures of this protocol, they can't be trusted to use their own protocol that was put in place. They would no longer have access to my child. No explanations, no more chances, simply no more access to my child. No way. No how.

We disagree. There are numerous posters who think it is too tall an order to keep a classroom nut-free. The thing is - this is a human life we are gambling with. You might be right - maybe some schools can be nut free - but what if you are wrong? A childs life is too large a thing to gamble with.

In this world of allergies, the best solution might be for all food in the school to come from a cafeteria.

I do hear your point that not all families can HS (and that would make an interesting debate!) but I would live in poverty before sending a child into a life threatenning environment.

As per the bolded - kids are often not responsible for what their parents pack and should not get in trouble. Ex - in grade 1 I sent my DD in with a peanut butter sandwich. I forgot - and the school did notice, called me, scrubbed her hands, etc. I would have been quite angry if she got in trouble for my mistake.

I am not saying the school or lunch room should be nut free. I am saying that classrooms should be food free period. I think that is very doable:).

I am also saying that students should be instructed on a "no food at all" in the classroom rule and notified of the consequences.

Young children can be taken to the lunch room for snack time as well.

The reason why I think classrooms should be food free is that is where students spend most of their day. This would prevent contamination of the classroom environment with allergens:)

Edited by priscilla

I am not saying the school or lunch room should be nut free. I am saying that classrooms should be food free period. I think that is very doable:).

I am also saying that students should be instructed on a "no food at all" in the classroom rule and notified of the consequences.

Ah - yes, now I understand. Yes, food free in the classroom should be more doable. It might help keep the food contained to cafeterias and that might lessen exposure (which is obviously a good thing).

The reason why I think classrooms should be food free is that is where students spend most of their day. This would prevent contamination of the classroom environment with allergens:)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but not all schools have cafeterias. None of the grade schools in my town do...the kids just walk up to the kitchen windows to get hot lunch and bring it back to their classroom desks to eat. I think it would be nearly impossible for these schools to make their classrooms nut-free.

Nope..that wouldn't do it. My daughter had peanut butter the other day and then went to get something out of her backpack. Peanut butter is now on her backpack. Here is another example: She eats peanut butter crackers (that is a staple snack when we travel) and often cannot finish them and puts them back in the backpack. Even if the peanut butter crackers are not in there anymore, the crumbs are.

I'm just using this as an example. People that are eating things at their home can easily "contaminate" the classroom. You would have to forbid what they could eat at home.

Christine

To those mentioning IEPs, I think you're thinking the wrong thing. What you need to look into is a 504 plan - that allows for accomodations due to a "disability". Like someone else said, not breathing is a disability. Type 1 diabetics are allowed 504 accomodations due to their disease. A 504 would allow you to say things like "epi pen carried by adult accompanying student at all times", "student in peanut free classroom", "epi pen administered by closest adult immediately upon notification of exposure", "parent called after epi pen administered", etc. 504 is a federal protection document and the best way to cover your bases - although, as others have said, I think fighting for "no exposure" is a losing battle - the 504 will allow you to have teeth behind the treatment plan.

She's right, you need a 504 plan. An IEP would be if your dd needed specialized instruction from a special Ed teacher. That is the main difference between the two.

As a person with many allergies, and who nearly died in 8th grade from anaphalatic shock (from a yellow jacket sting), I know how scary it can be. I hope you get the resolution you need with this.

IMO this is a discipline problem. How can a teacher not see a kid eating in their class? I would send them to principle's office for breaking the rules.

Ridiculous. I challenge you to do nothing but watch 25 people at once for an hour, never allowing any of them to make a 2 second movement without you noticing. Fail. Now add a task, like, for example, teaching algebra. Impossible.

Ridiculous. I challenge you to do nothing but watch 25 people at once for an hour, never allowing any of them to make a 2 second movement without you noticing. Fail. Now add a task, like, for example, teaching algebra. Impossible.

I agree.

If we're talking about the OP here, it was during snack time, when everyone is supposed to be eating.

If we're talking about the example of high school, when a kid could be sneaking bites during class, then it would be ridiculous to send that student to the principal. It should be handled in class, yes, but sent to the principal, no.

According to what I read on FAAN, I believe, all peanut allergies should be taken very seriously and that there is no such thing as a mild peanut allergy. Also, unfortunately the overwhelming majority of kids do not outgrow peanut allergies from what our allergist said:(.

Actually, my mom has a peanut allergy that has always been mild.

I also have a child that outgrew RAST test shown peanut and nuts allergies.

I have a niece with a RAST test shown peanut allergy who has never had a reaction. She doen't eat peanuts or peanut butter, but she eats Chick-Fil-A all the time.

Nope..that wouldn't do it. My daughter had peanut butter the other day and then went to get something out of her backpack. Peanut butter is now on her backpack. Here is another example: She eats peanut butter crackers (that is a staple snack when we travel) and often cannot finish them and puts them back in the backpack. Even if the peanut butter crackers are not in there anymore, the crumbs are.

I'm just using this as an example. People that are eating things at their home can easily "contaminate" the classroom. You would have to forbid what they could eat at home.

Christine

:iagree:. Or my kid could be in her classrooom, she routinely gets food smeared down her shirt at meals. Now if she was in your class she might show up a walking allergy nightmare.

I get that a teacher is not going to catch everything but a rule should be made and an attempt should be made to enforce. The students could also be educated on the necessity of such rules to protect other classmates without singling those classmates out.

As for the schools without lunch rooms, well I am speechless since they had lunch room in the 8 different schools I attended in the 60s and 70s. These schools should provide for lunch rooms IMHO.

:iagree:. Or my kid could be in her classrooom, she routinely gets food smeared down her shirt at meals. Now if she was in your class she might show up a walking allergy nightmare.

I get that, but a food free classroom would still greatly minimize contamination of school supplies and environment in the classroom. I still see food free classrooms as a reasonable safeguard.

I have a niece with a RAST test shown peanut allergy who has never had a reaction. She doen't eat peanuts or peanut butter, but she eats Chick-Fil-A all the time.

Good quality peanut oil has the proteins removed. My DS is anaphylactic to peanuts (and other nuts even though peanut is a legume - walnut, brazil nut, etc). He can eat at Chick-Fil-A or have those chips based in peanut oil. No problem. His reaction is the proteins. His allergist explained this one. I'll add a link if I can find a reputable one. He even has an eczema treatment that is peanut oil and is fine for him!

FAAN link, point 6 under things to keep in mind: http://www.foodallergy.org/page/peanut-allergy

"Studies show that most allergic individuals can safely eat peanut oil (not cold pressed, expelled, or extruded peanut oil - sometimes represented as gourmet oils). If you are allergic to peanuts, ask your doctor whether or not you should avoid peanut oil."

Not trying to hijack - just an interesting point for us with an allergy child and maybe of interest to others too.

Edited by WeeBeaks

I agree.

If we're talking about the OP here, it was during snack time, when everyone is supposed to be eating.

If we're talking about the example of high school, when a kid could be sneaking bites during class, then it would be ridiculous to send that student to the principal. It should be handled in class, yes, but sent to the principal, no.

I meant teachers should have the option to send kids to the principal for eating for in class as well as support in disciplining since they have a tough job as it is:(. If a rule for a food free classroom is made and the students are educated on this rule as well as the reasons for it, then I think an infraction should be handled seriously. So I don't see sending a kid to the principal's office as unreasonable at all especially when someone's life is on the line.

Edited by priscilla
clarify

Actually, my mom has a peanut allergy that has always been mild.

I also have a child that outgrew RAST test shown peanut and nuts allergies.

It is my understanding that a RAST test alone is not sufficient and that skin testing should be done as well. These tests are not perfect and I would not go by one test alone from what I understand.

As for the mild, I still tend to disagree based on what I learned. Reactions have the potential to get worse each time. Did her allergist tell her it was mild?

Good quality peanut oil has the proteins removed. My DS is anaphylactic to peanuts (and other nuts even though peanut is a legume - walnut, brazil nut, etc). He can eat at Chick-Fil-A or have those chips based in peanut oil. No problem. His reaction is the proteins. His allergist explained this one. I'll add a link if I can find a reputable one. He even has an eczema treatment that is peanut oil and is fine for him!

FAAN link, point 6 under things to keep in mind: http://www.foodallergy.org/page/peanut-allergy

"Studies show that most allergic individuals can safely eat peanut oil (not cold pressed, expelled, or extruded peanut oil - sometimes represented as gourmet oils). If you are allergic to peanuts, ask your doctor whether or not you should avoid peanut oil."

Not trying to hijack - just an interesting point for us with an allergy child and maybe of interest to others too.

I have heard of the peanut oil. We won't take that chance and our allergist agrees.

Christine

No you would not have to forbid someone from eating at home. Food free classrooms and a protocol to wash hands upon entering the classroom could solve this for most part.

Are you saying that reasonable attempts such as a food free classroom or washing hands (which also helps decrease colds:)) should not be done for the allergic child? All children are entitled to a free, appropriate public education.

It is my understanding that a RAST test alone is not sufficient and that skin testing should be done as well. These tests are not perfect and I would not go by one test alone from what I understand.

As for the mild, I still tend to disagree based on what I learned. Reactions have the potential to get worse each time. Did her allergist tell her it was mild?

No one test is perfect and any testing should be interpreted by a good allergist. My understanding is that a skin test will be more likely to show false positives, but our doctor uses testing and reaction history to help determine what is actually a mild or severe allergy.

I have a mild peanut allergy, according to my allergist, but under her orders, it is treated as serious. I also strictly avoid every kind of peanut/legume due to being allergic to two other kinds of legumes and having had more than one anaphylactic reaction (not to anything I was aware of being allergic to and not to any legumes.)

However, I accidentally ate something with peanuts and the reaction was very mild. I might not be so lucky next time. I have no issue with treating all peanut allergies as severe (since reactions are unpredictable), but yes, it is possible to have a mild allergy. It just may grow more severe over time and someone should always know how to treat an emergency.

Going back to the OP situation ... if there is a cafeteria, I can see a food-free classroom possibly being reasonable. But it's more important that emergency treatment plans are well-understood and followed. The Epi should not be locked up.

I get that, but a food free classroom would still greatly minimize contamination of school supplies and environment in the classroom. I still see food free classrooms as a reasonable safeguard.

My youngest is still in school. It's a charter school. They don't have a cafeteria so they not only eat snack in the classroom but lunch, too.

Each student has snack duty for one week during the school year. In previous years, we were able to bring anything as long as it was healthy but this year there are a couple of kids that have food allergies so we were told to bring fruit or vegetables only.

I just asked DD if the teacher talked to them about being careful around the students with food allergies and she said they didn't. There wasn't an email sent home, either. It's possible that the allergy is to gluten or something so any extra safety measures aren't necessary.

Edited by Trresh

Did Karen post an update about what happened at the parent-teacher conference? If she did, I must have missed it, and I'm wondering what happened.

No I did not post an update.

When I went in for the PTC it was the first thing we spoke about. When I finally got the full story, not just my five y/o version of events it boils down to a lack of communication. Teacher thought nurse called me and nurse thought teacher called me.

My DD did NOT touch peanuts thankfully. It was a granola bar that she was helping a friend open and that granola bar label stated may contain nuts.

as a precaution they threw out her snack [she was eating an apple] she was given a new snack, washed her hands and went to the nurse's office to be monitored.

After speaking with the teacher it is agreed upon that DD will not help open other snacks [she knows not to do this but at 5 being a good friend and helper is first and foremost in her head]. The teacher also assured me that she will call me no matter what if the situation arises. The teacher said the classroom is also nut free [she has 2 other severe peanut allergies in the classroom]. We also discussed other issues with process and those have been resolved as well and DH and I had a LONG discussion with DD about her allergies and why it is important not to share food with others or open other friends snack.

No I did not post an update.

When I went in for the PTC it was the first thing we spoke about. When I finally got the full story, not just my five y/o version of events it boils down to a lack of communication. Teacher thought nurse called me and nurse thought teacher called me.

My DD did NOT touch peanuts thankfully. It was a granola bar that she was helping a friend open and that granola bar label stated may contain nuts.

as a precaution they threw out her snack [she was eating an apple] she was given a new snack, washed her hands and went to the nurse's office to be monitored.

After speaking with the teacher it is agreed upon that DD will not help open other snacks [she knows not to do this but at 5 being a good friend and helper is first and foremost in her head]. The teacher also assured me that she will call me no matter what if the situation arises. The teacher said the classroom is also nut free [she has 2 other severe peanut allergies in the classroom]. We also discussed other issues with process and those have been resolved as well and DH and I had a LONG discussion with DD about her allergies and why it is important not to share food with others or open other friends snack.

Great update!