Menu

Current Read Alouds (and reviews from previous weeks) Oct 17

tammyw

Per an earlier post, we talked about starting a weekly post about current read alouds (plus reviews for previous read alouds!)

Currently: The Trumpet of the Swan. We like it so far, though it's definitely a quiet read, which is fine for my dd8 but less enthralling for my ds5.

Will start soon: The Phantom Tollbooth. This is the next book in The Arrow lessons we are doing monthly (which I've written about before - we love The Arrow). This is just for dd8 and I.

Recent reads: A biography on Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. This definitely held ds5's interests. He's very much into science and math books, and still very much needs pictures. So different from how my daughter was at that age! He's a fan of books like the Max Axiom graphic novel series.

We just finished The Wind in the Willows, which we really loved. The language is just beautiful! I am glad I waited on reading this until now because I think their comprehension was quite good.

Our current bedtime book, starting tonight, is Nanny McPhee (Nurse Matilda). Glancing through it, I think this will be quite fun to read.

For history, we are reading the D'Aulaires' Columbus as a supplement. It is good! My kids like the illustrations, and I think it packs in a lot of information without being hard to read or too dense for the kids.

We start each day with a fairy or folktale. We just finished Tatterhood and Other Tales, which was quite enjoyable, and we're now going to read from The Lilac Fairy Book.

ETA: I am also reading All of a Kind Family Downtown to my dd.

Edited by momto2Cs

We started a new read aloud (Pinocchio) today so I just updated my siggy. We didn't make it through Winnie-the-Pooh. My kids were groaning every time it came out and that is not normal for them. I think they need a story with a plot. I don't have my next one picked out so this is good timing.

For history, we are reading the D'Aulaires' Columbus as a supplement. It is good! My kids like the illustrations, and I think it packs in a lot of information without being hard to read or too dense for the kids.

We just read the D'Aulaires' Columbus also. I agree - these books are really good, and my kids enjoy them! We've got pretty much the entire set.

We started a new read aloud (Pinocchio) today so I just updated my siggy. We didn't make it through Winnie-the-Pooh. My kids were groaning every time it came out and that is not normal for them. I think they need a story with a plot. I don't have my next one picked out so this is good timing.

We made if through Pooh last year, but boy was it a struggle at the end! We finished Pinocchio a couple of weeks ago ... you are in for a treat!

We made if through Pooh last year, but boy was it a struggle at the end! We finished Pinocchio a couple of weeks ago ... you are in for a treat!

We've made it through only half of Pinocchio. I really enjoy it but for some reason we keep getting off track. I think we need to pick it up again. I love the illustrations in the version we have from the library!

Non-school related read alouds

DD the Elder: The Three Musketeers (Pevear translation) We'll be finished by the middle of November if we're lucky.

DD the Younger: Little Town on the Prairie

Both: The Search for Delicious

This morning we finished, "A Mouse called Wolf" by Dick King-Smith. We just got pet rats and converted our mud room to a rat room. It's rat proof, and we can sit on cushions and read to the mice while they are allowed out of there cage. We are planning to always have a read aloud going for the rats. (The kids will listen to, I'm not that crazy). So I'm coming up with a list of rat and mouse books.

A few days ago we finished, "These Happy Golden Years" by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and we are now going to start the whole Laura series over at the beginning. After that I would have had MORE then enough of Laura and I'll be ready to move on, whether or not the kids are. :)

For my ds 5 we just finished the "MY Fathers Dragon" series - he loved it and there were just enough pictures to keep him interested.

We are going to start Doctor Doolittle tonight - I am heading to the library now to pick it up.

For my ds 7 we just finished up another Boxcar children - he loves these. He will sit in for Doctor Doolittle too as he hasn't heard it before.

We've made it through only half of Pinocchio. I really enjoy it but for some reason we keep getting off track. I think we need to pick it up again. I love the illustrations in the version we have from the library!

I liked it. I also had the version with beautiful illustrations. But, it was one of only now 3 books that my eldest couldn't stand. So we had to stop it half way.

LOVE this thread! I need some encouragement - we have been reading The Railway Children for a few weeks now and not getting very far. I don't know if my kids just aren't old enough (actually my dd will not even stay in the room anymore) or if I'm just not into it. I really hate to "quit" at something, though....I fear it will be our lone read aloud of the year if we don't get moving on it, though!

We are finishing up On the Banks of Plum Creek and The Just So Stories (one during the day, one at bedtime!) Big thumbs up for both here. The girls have really enjoyed them.

I have not decided what will be next during the day, but I am considering something fun that I haven't read in awhile like the Mouse and the Motorcycle.

But, I also have The Little Princess on hand, and that is one of my all time favorites from when I was a child. I will do both. Just not sure which is next :)

This thread is an excellent idea! I am constantly looking at book reviews.

We're reading:

The Jungle Book (the original - with the thee and thou 's thrown in :D) - the 9 yro and 8 yro are really enjoying it. It's way over the younger kids' heads.

Little Pear - this is second time reading this - great for 1st grade read-aloud

9 yro is reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and liking it.

8 yro is reading Tale of a 4th Grade Nothing and he's so-so about it.

We're still working our way through The Witches, and while I thought it might be poor reading material just prior to bedtime, Ariel loves it. We have only just finished the second chapter of Harry Potter because she much prefers the Dahl book. We may put Harry away and come back to it later. I also recently abandoned The Jungle Book. It just wasn't getting read, I started it a month ago and we were only midway through the second chapter. Ariel seemed to like it, but liked other books (like Witches and Up One Pair of Stairs) so much more. I do enjoy the My Book House anthologies, I think we'll start Through the Gate and mix that in, possibly during school hours, since most of our read-alouds are at bedtime.

I'm still looking for ideas for our read-alouds for November, I want something Thanksgiving-y but not specifically about the pilgrims, since we're going to hit that pretty hard in history in a few months.

This time of year, especially, I like to read themed RAs (like Witches and Catwings for October), it seems to add something special.

Our read aloud for the last week and this week is Black Beauty. I wasn't sure how they would take to it, but in typical fashion they enjoy the morality angle.

I had planned on Redwall for the audiobook for rest time, but it was out at the library, so The Silver Chair it is.

We started The House at Pooh Corner today.

[tiddely pom]

Good to be back in routine :)

We also read from The Bronze Bow. We're liking this book, although we only read it when people are ready for breakfast; we might never finish!

And we have 1 chapter remaining in The Wind in the Willows. We'll be back to more regular reading with soccer season ending! We've just loved reading this. M-girl and N-boy more than R-girl, but she's liked it too.

We finished Columbus also last week and loved it. We are doing it as part of the Beautiful Feet California study.

We are working on Justin Morgan Had a Horse on audio, and DH is reading A Wrinkle in Time at night with the kids.

For the people who didn't like reading Pooh aloud, we found that audio was much much better on that with a reader who can do all the voices in a fun way.

For my ds 5 we just finished the "MY Fathers Dragon" series - he loved it and there were just enough pictures to keep him interested.

We are going to start Doctor Doolittle tonight - I am heading to the library now to pick it up.

For my ds 7 we just finished up another Boxcar children - he loves these. He will sit in for Doctor Doolittle too as he hasn't heard it before.

We're almost through the 'My Father's Dragon' series too. I'm reading it to my boys, and DD can't help but sit in too. I'm not sure what to read next though, perhaps the classic start Pinnochio I have.

DD just finished A series of unfortunate events: Reptile room last night, she'll probably start the Enchanted Wood tonight. DD loves this series (already bugging me for the next one), it is quite macabre but not too gorey or violent. Lots of new vocab in these books which the writer explains, ie. "x, a word which here means yz"

We're still not done with the magic pudding yet, hopefully today though! I'm not sure what's next, we'll have a vote I think... The magic pudding is an older Australian book, written in 1917. http://www.normanlindsay.com.au/normanlindsay/themagicpudding.php I've struggled a bit with it. The language can be difficult - lots of old fashioned australian bush-isms, and some of the concepts are unfamiliar (eg. the 'pudding' is what we would call a 'pie'). The kids have enjoyed it though, and always cheer when I bring it out. I wonder about their comprehension level, but they understand enough to laugh at the right spots and incorporate it into other play. It has a bit of slapstick violence in it - which my kids find hilarious.

ETA: finished magic pudding yesterday, today we'll start on The Tanglewoods' Secret.

Edited by LMD

I'm still looking for ideas for our read-alouds for November, I want something Thanksgiving-y but not specifically about the pilgrims, since we're going to hit that pretty hard in history in a few months.

Have you read Eating Plates? It would be a great addition to your pilgrim study- we like to read it around Thanksgiving time.

I've been reading The Little House series to my 8 yo- which is what prompted the L'Engle tangent. I needed a break from the continueal PTSD that family suffered!

We finished The London Eye Mystery last week and LOVED it. DD keeps thanking me for choosing it.:D We are reading The Magic of Reality and The House on Hackman's Hill now. I am loving the former, but not so thrilled with the latter -- it was recommended at the library, but I am glad that it is short and we will be moving on soon.

I have The Magic of Reality on my list to check out. Would you say it's a read-once-and-be-done-with, or is it an own-and-refer-back-often book?

I have The Magic of Reality on my list to check out. Would you say it's a read-once-and-be-done-with, or is it an own-and-refer-back-often book?

I have it out of the library for now, but I plan to buy it. I think it's a book we will want to read from many times down the road.

I have it out of the library for now, but I plan to buy it. I think it's a book we will want to read from many times down the road.

:iagree:

DD the Elder will often thank me in an offhanded way for getting a particular book, but she made a special point of explicitly expressing her appreciation for this particular book. I'm not aware of another children's book like it.

C7- The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe Mostly liking it because he LOVES anything about the Romans but it's a little too old for him. We are almost done and I think Redwall is next.

H4- Babe by Dick King-Smith We are all liking it, C7 listens in too and is really enjoying it.

Both together: Little House in the Big Woods

In the car: King of the Wind by Margeurite Henry

We're still reading The Island of the Blue Dolphins and The Phantom Tollbooth. The Island of the Blue Dolphins is good so far, but sad. It says a lot in surprisingly little text. The main character is a strong girl determined to survive. The Phantom Tollbooth is really good. All three kids, 11, 10, and 3 are listening and enjoying the book. I like it as well as it is funny and clever.

We'll probably be reading Walk Two Moons and Because of Winn Dixie next. Although with threads like these I see so many books I want to read!

We recently finished Missing May by Cynthia Rylant. We all liked the book, though possibly I liked it more. It is a thin little book with a lot of meaning. There is a death in the main character's family prior to the beginning of the book and the plot revolves around dealing with the emotions and family left behind.

We tried A Bear Called Paddington, but it seemed to be a bit much. DS claimed he liked it, but didn't want to finish a chapter. So shelving that for now. We went to the library today and checked out some Halloween and fall favorite picture books from last year, as well as a new one we love already. We will stick with these for a few days, then maybe start The Children of Noisy Village. Here are the picture books:

The Spooky Wheels on the Bus, Mills/Mantle

Wild Witches Ball, Prelutsky/Asbury

By the Light of the Halloween Moon, Stutson/Hawkkes

Ghosts in the House!, Kohara

Fletcher and the Falling Leaves, Rawlinson/Beeke

We are currently reading "Alice in Wonderland" (unabridged).

My DS10 was originally not looking forward to it: Mom, we saw the movie back when I was in school, and it wasn't very good!

Several chapters in, he revises: Hey, this isn't much like the movie. The book is actually pretty good!

We tried A Bear Called Paddington, but it seemed to be a bit much. DS claimed he liked it, but didn't want to finish a chapter. So shelving that for now.

Don't be afraid to read partial chapters, sometimes we read only a paragraph or two or a couple of pages at one sitting and that's enough. Sometimes it's even better to leave off at an exciting part or when there's a "Oh, what do you think will happen next?" question to bring you back. Their attention span will increase, too, even doing snippets of chapters at a time. There may be a time when you'll only want to read partial chapters. Our current evening read aloud is The Wind in the Willows, and the chapters are *long* we generally take several days to get through each chapter. Tonight we stopped just before Badger was about to announce his plan for re-taking Toad Hall, but after he shared that he had a plan. Exciting stuff.

Don't be afraid to read partial chapters, sometimes we read only a paragraph or two or a couple of pages at one sitting and that's enough. Sometimes it's even better to leave off at an exciting part or when there's a "Oh, what do you think will happen next?" question to bring you back. Their attention span will increase, too, even doing snippets of chapters at a time. There may be a time when you'll only want to read partial chapters. Our current evening read aloud is The Wind in the Willows, and the chapters are *long* we generally take several days to get through each chapter. Tonight we stopped just before Badger was about to announce his plan for re-taking Toad Hall, but after he shared that he had a plan. Exciting stuff.

Thank you for the encouragement!

We're listening to Treasure Island on Librivox. A bit difficult to follow at times, but enjoyable.

I'm going to start reading Paddle to the Sea to him and dd. Last year, we all enjoyed Pinocchio, King Arthur, and Doctor Dolittle.

We are still slogging through The Secret Garden. The kids seem to enjoy it, but I was sick last week and couldn't make any progress on it. This week I'm just having difficulty finding the time for it.

Today we finished Meet Addy: An American Girl. That was a lot sadder than I was expecting it to be. Even the boys want me to find more books to find out what happens.

Tomorrow we will start The Last Safe House as part of our history.