Menu

For Those Who Didn't Nurse...

I breastfed, but I can tell you that they don't give a shot anymore. Cabbage leaves in your bra are one of the best remedies for engorgement out there. You can also do mint or parsley infusions, they both inhibit lactation. Ice packs can help with the pain. :grouphug:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I couldn't nurse due to being on Coumadin after my last son. A nurse friend of mine recommended the cabbage leaves. They were a life saver! I smelled like cabbage soup most of the time, but it sure worked well. Acetaminophen also helped especially for the first few days after my milk came in.

Thanks, Mrs. Mungo. I really appreciate the support and understanding.

I've had more than enough ppl try and tell me that I could nurse, that I can do without the meds, that I'm being selfish and denying my baby what's best, that obviously he's not as important to me as my older kids are, otherwise I'd suck it up and nurse.

Its really hurtful.

That's awful. I'm sorry you've had to put up with that.

....I've had more than enough ppl try and tell me that I could nurse, that I can do without the meds, that I'm being selfish and denying my baby what's best, that obviously he's not as important to me as my older kids are, otherwise I'd suck it up and nurse.

Its really hurtful.

:grouphug: I'll say that I'm pro-breastfeeding (and if you've breastfed your other children, it sounds like you are too), but I'm also pro-choice and pro-happiness. You are BY FAR the best person to make the choice of whether you breastfeed your baby or not. Those people who made those comments IRL - they are ignorant twits, and can go hang. I think I need to :chillpill: .. I'm all riled up for you..!

I ask gently... are you interested in seeing if your medical condition (medications?) are actually compatible with breastfeeding? Doctors often rely on the Physician's Desk Reference when deciding if medications are compatible with breastfeeding, which isn't the best source for various reasons. This is an American link: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;108/3/776/T6 and many La Leche League leaders have a copy of Medications and Mother's Milk which is authored by a respected pharmacologist. And if you're not, that's okay and you don't need to explain. I've just heard of mothers who were angry to find out that [whatever medication] is actually compatible with breastfeeding after they've weaned (or never started).

I'm glad you mentioned this. I nursed two while taking rheumatoid arthritis meds. The second time around, a ped was advising against it, until his nurse got out a different volume that indicated my meds should be OK.

Well it was a long time ago but I don't remember it being that bad...just a couple of days of discomfort. And I leaked a little. But other than that it was no big deal.

:iagree: It was pretty unmemorable for me, too.

I breastfed, but I can tell you that they don't give a shot anymore. Cabbage leaves in your bra are one of the best remedies for engorgement out there. You can also do mint or parsley infusions, they both inhibit lactation. Ice packs can help with the pain. :grouphug:

Chilled cabbage leaves. Get a few heads so you can use the big outer leaves rather than piecing together enough using the small inner leaves. ;):lol:

Seriously, the cabbage *works*.

:iagree::iagree: on the cabbage. Use the big outer leaves. Learn to love coleslaw if you don't already. :D

Thanks, Mrs. Mungo. I really appreciate the support and understanding.

I've had more than enough ppl try and tell me that I could nurse, that I can do without the meds, that I'm being selfish and denying my baby what's best, that obviously he's not as important to me as my older kids are, otherwise I'd suck it up and nurse.

Its really hurtful.

Umm... yeah. People can be real a$$hats sometimes. FWIW, I couldn't bf. I did hand express what little I had for the first few days, but ds was formula fed and guess what? He's not dead! Or malnourished! Or an obese kid! Or diabetic! Or allergic to anything! Or riddled with ear infections!

Nope. Not a single one of those things they try to scare you with befell my formula fed ds. It's a miracle! Or, maybe it's just a perfectly valid choice for a mother to make.

... I've had more than enough ppl try and tell me that I could nurse, that I can do without the meds, that I'm being selfish and denying my baby what's best, that obviously he's not as important to me as my older kids are, otherwise I'd suck it up and nurse. ... Its really hurtful.

I am sorry that you encountered misguided people who allow ideology to prevail over humanity. Unfortunately it seems to be rather common. I once knew a woman who seriously stated that she could not continue friendship with a woman who chose not to nurse her baby.

Umm... yeah. People can be real a$$hats sometimes. FWIW, I couldn't bf. I did hand express what little I had for the first few days, but ds was formula fed and guess what? He's not dead! Or malnourished! Or an obese kid! Or diabetic! Or allergic to anything! Or riddled with ear infections!

Nope. Not a single one of those things they try to scare you with befell my formula fed ds. It's a miracle! Or, maybe it's just a perfectly valid choice for a mother to make.

Thanks, Audrey.

I'll admit, that formula feeding seems a bit daunting. Going to have to be a heck of a lot more organized than when nursing. I always said I nursed b/c I was cheap and lazy. :lol:

Thanks, Audrey.

I'll admit, that formula feeding seems a bit daunting. Going to have to be a heck of a lot more organized than when nursing. I always said I nursed b/c I was cheap and lazy. :lol:

Well... yes. You do have a bit more work to do, but... you've got a dh to lend a hand in prepping bottles and formula. I used to prep 4 bottles. Ds would go through about 8 in a day, so I would do that twice a day. Or, dh would do it. Then you just warm when a feeding is needed. It's very nice that dh can also feed baby. It gives them a chance to bond over a feeding, too.

Trust me when I say, it is NOT the worst thing you can do to your infant. Not even close.

You will both be fine! :001_smile:

Thanks, Audrey.

Feel free to ask any questions you want.

My last was half pumped and half formula fed (and 100% formula fed when out and about because it was easier than transporting liquid gold!)

This one is 100% formula fed. (Pumping is not an option given my circumstances right now)

I nursed for the first week, pumped for a month -- "weaning" off the pump to avoid the pain of engorgement (But I had messed myself up too because I did nurse just enough as it turns out to encourage more milk to come in, as it turns out, as well as doing fenugreek and oatmeal to encourage supply before I discovered it just wasn't going to work!)

Maybe its because it is what I am used to but I do NOT find formula feeding nearly as difficult as bfing advocates sometimes make it out to be. Its just another thing to make sure is stocked in the diaper bag. I do it at the same time I am makig sure it has diapers, wipes, diaper creme, burp cloths, and spare clothes. I also make sure my formula tub is filled and I have clean bottles and a filled water bottle in there (right now Austin water is FOUL so I'm carrying my own water around. With DS I just used water fountain water wherever I happened to be)

Neither kid has cared about the temperature of the formula. I've given them room temp and cold stuff just out of the fridge and they gobbble it down.

We bought Dr. Bonner's formula pitcher. Make 16-20 ounces of formula at a time (about what we think baby will use in a day when at home) and keep it in the fridge, pouring out what is needed for a bottle. (Then we can judge how much to give depending on how long it has been since the last feed, etc)

When out and about, we pour in the water (usually 4oz) into an empty bottle and then scoop out the formula and mix it together. At home, bottles get washed out with soap and water. When out and about, I do the best I can with as hot of water as I can get in the restrooms.

Edited by vonfirmath

They don't give Parlodel (aka bromocriptine) shot anymore, and I doubt docs precribe the bromocriptine tablets either. They used to but no more. This drug dries milk up by targeting the pituitary glands which kick the whole process off. Frankly, even if my doc WOULD prescribe it, I wouldn't take bromocriptine as it's excreted in milk and I wouldn't risk my baby's new/nacent pituitary being affected by it as it could have some serious consequences.

Didn't breastfeed any of my three. Like Audrey= none of my kids ended up with any of the problems supposedly caused by bottle feeding except my oldest had ear infections. Since the other two after him didn't, I don't think that was really the problem.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you Imp and Pretty in Pink. How inconsiderate some people are. Sorry you have to go through that.

I didn't have any problems with my first two and only some slight pain with my last.

I am very happy to learn about the cabbage cure since I am now on warfarin for life and think I will probably end up with so more swollen areas in my life (I sprain and fracture too easily) plus I will have to try it on some of my joints when they get swollen with arthritis.

The only PITA with formula is that it can be difficult to 'take it along' if you can't use a regular kind - many of the brands now have 'ready to use' stuff, but if you need a lactose-free (like us) or a soy, that option doesn't exist. (I guess it might in some places, but I searched high and low for LF ready-to-use and nope.) …. I use powder, and it needs to be made with water that has been boiled for 5 minutes and then mixed with the powder before it drops below 70C to prevent illness. (W.H.O guidelines - it's due to the potential of Enterobacter sakazakii, a bacteria that can cause a potentially fatal sickness in infants. [Powder is NOT sterile] Keeping the water temp at 70 or above makes sure that the bacteria isn't present in the powder.) .. I make, and then rapidly cool the bottles. For going out, though, this means that I need a cooler bag that KEEPS them cold and then somewhere to warm the bottle.

I sterilize my bottles, nipples, and rings every day before using them… that was a bit clunky until I got into a pattern…now it's just a normal part of life. :001_smile:

[i have bottles sterilizing in a giant pot right this second, actually.]

Edited by LidiyaDawn

Do you have a hand pump? I expressed just a bit to take the pressure off- but I don't remember it being overwhelmingly painful or taking much time to dry up. And I breastfed for 6 weeks before switching to formula.

Good luck! And FWIW, when people were overly rude/nosy about my choice to formula feed I would sweetly say, "Boy, I'm sure glad that this one decision doesn't determine whether or not I'm a good parent!". Usually shuts them up pretty quickly. ;)

:iagree: It was pretty unmemorable for me, too.

:iagree::iagree: on the cabbage. Use the big outer leaves. Learn to love coleslaw if you don't already. :D

You, are a WONDERFUL person.

Just had to say that. :D (I had my share of people tell me how disappointing it was for me to not nurse, so its just nice to see this. Despite the fact that my decisions are long ago made, it helps because some of them STILL say stuff about it!)

Anyway, it brightened my day. :)

Imp, I'm a HUGE proponent of breast feeding, but my oldest was the one who got forumla. I pumped for six months, but after that, she was on formula. My younger one nursed for 3.5 years.

Guess which one caught every bug that went around and was sicker than her sister?

The one who nursed with an obsessiveness that rivaled Monk's.

And guess the one who developed asthma?

The one who nursed.

I used to say how ironic it was that my healthiest kid was the one who had the least amount of breast milk. And I know, who knows if my younger one would have been sicker without it? We can't ever know what might have been, but it WILL be just fine, and your baby will be just fine and healthy, and even if he is not super healthy all the time, it's not because of the formula. Just thank God for its invention. It was made for people like you. You do NOT need to feel guilty!

And honestly, I may get my AP credentials taken away, but while formula is a lot more expensive than nursing, I certainly didn't find it harder, at least in the first few weeks. I dunno; ask your doctor, but I wasn't really boiling anything. I was just washing in the dishwasher and then warming up the water. And after six months or so, she didn't even care about it being warmed. :grouphug:

Its really hurtful.

:grouphug:

It always amazes me that the people who jump to villify any kind of medication tend to be the same ones that tell you to give breastmilk full of it to your infant, because it's somehow "better." :glare:

I couldn't bf for more than a few weeks because I ended up with horrible PPD and PPOCD, to the point that I was hallucinating and had to go to the hospital, and then had to take bucketfuls of drugs to get back to something resembling normal. Dd has a genetic disorder that causes delays (present from conception, just for the record, not from feeding choices) and despite drinking formula- non-organic, regular formula!- she is ahead of most of her normal peers, and light years ahead of what we were told to expect in terms of her development.

Formula does not make babies sick, or dumb, or whatever the latest scare tactic is. Given how filled with chemicals and toxins the environment and our bodies are, I'm inclined to think it's a crapshoot either way.

So don't let the breastmilk fundies get you down. A happy mommy does far, far more for baby than anything else. My dd and I are living proof of that.

Edited by Mergath

You could also consider taking an antihistimine. Many moms find that taking those while nursing causes a drop in supply (it can dry up your nose and your milk).

Just to clarify, it's *decongestants*, not antihistamines that do this. Specifically pseudoephedrine (the old Sudafed, not not not the new formulation of the stuff). :001_smile:

Its really hurtful.

:grouphug: What baby needs more than anything is a mommy who is able to care for him!

Imp, don't let the negative Nancy's get you down. I ended up bottle feding all 4 of my kids. I tried with each one to BF but was not succesful. With the last one I even took medicine to help increase my milk supply. It worked until I had to start weaning myself off of it. What i tried with my 2, and 3rd would end up being a book. I finally accepted it. It is what it is. I will say I was really funny about my 4th. I only fed him. Dh did a handful of times. But for me, feeding, regardless of how it is done, was a good bonding time for me and the babe.

When I had my first I never got milk at all. (Later I found out why.) I had a lactation consultant come. She walked into my house, and immediately started sniffing loudly and deeply. She said you're formula feeding aren't you? I said yes I was trying to BF and then would give formula after. She said I thought so, walking into a formula fed house is like walking into a smokers house, I can smell the difference immediately. :001_huh:

Needless to say we didn't like each other and her consult that was written and put in my oldests chart was nasty. (I read it years later when i had to get his chart copied because we moved across the country.) Even years later when I read what she wrote about me it devastated me and made me so angry.

I also had someone say that they figured my one child had asthma because I didn't BF.

People are just ignorant.

It took me 4 children to finally realize its not all about how they're fed, it's how you do it, with love. I can look just as deeply into their eyes when bottle feeding as I did when I tried to BF. They need you just as much either way.

I was really surprised at how emotional I was about not being able to bf, even though I had made the decision months before. So be prepared from some extra emotions beyond the normal new mom roller coaster.

And shhhh . . . . I ended up loving bottle feeding. It is extremely easy. Get something like this and your life will be even easier, because you can get out of the house. http://www.amazon.com/Innobaby-Packin-Storage-System-Sorbet/dp/B003MUA5OG/ref=pd_cp_ba_2

the injection you refer to is not given anymore. there was a high risk of stroke associated with it. yes, it is uncomfortable. the hospital will give you a velcro binder to wear around your breast area to keep breasts secure in place. you will wear a proper fitting bra underneath. ice packs are helpful. pain medication (prescription) obtained before you leave hospital really helps. they won't give you one too strong. just enough to ease pain and give a euphoric effect. the object is not to move your breasts too much. this will help with pain and help to NOT stimulate the release of milk. it will be like 2 bricks on your chest. it gets better as the days go on. when you are in the tub, do not move your breasts. just drip some water over them to rinse. hope this helps. i wish they could still use the medication you speak of.

angel

Y'know, it looks like the person who asked (in this thread) was trying to be *helpful* and doesn't know every detail of your situation… I don't think that she intended to hurt you - rather, to ask if you were interested in further information regarding breastfeeding and medications.

It DOES happen that woman think they can't due to [whatever meds] and then, later, learn that the information was incorrect… it happened to me. I'm a supporter of whatever way a mom wishes to feed her children, and I'm content with the way our newbie is being fed (and as it happens, he needed a lactose-free formula) but it did come about that I was given *incorrect* information regarding the antibiotics that I was taking for several post-delivery infections. I was told that I couldn't nurse - and that was wrong. I could have. By the time the infections were clear (several rounds of different antibiotics) it was too late.

I think the previous poster was simply offering information with that in mind. ;)

I agree. I probably would have asked the same thing. I had to ff my son after 2 months because I was given bad advice. I wish I could go back and have gotten a second opinion. So I do give advice like this often, offering help, if people say they "can't" because of a medication or medical condition, like I had. So please know that many of us (most, even) are not trying to judge, but to help. It sounds like you were asking for help, so she offered an alternative. Good luck! I wish I could help you, but my milk dried up on it's own too early. :( I will say that if you are already at risk for ppd, that my not bf ended in me having severe ppd. Please ask for help if you feel ppd coming on, and the book Mothering the New Mother is a great book. :)

I was really surprised at how emotional I was about not being able to bf, even though I had made the decision months before. So be prepared from some extra emotions beyond the normal new mom roller coaster.

And shhhh . . . . I ended up loving bottle feeding. It is extremely easy. Get something like this and your life will be even easier, because you can get out of the house. http://www.amazon.com/Innobaby-Packin-Storage-System-Sorbet/dp/B003MUA5OG/ref=pd_cp_ba_2

OOOh That looks neat. I use a sample size formula canister and keep refilling it with formula from whatever we are using.

I love bottle feeding too. It gives so many people the opportunity to feed my kids -- to enjoy that special bonding!