Menu

Can we talk about a subject that ONLY pertains to baby boys?

Do you or don't you circumcise your boys? If you do is it for religious reasons or medical? We have not had any of our boys circumcised. Nothing religious...just didn't see a need. For some reason, after Jesse was born, I started thinking about the subject again and wondered if we are doing the right thing. Is there any compelling medical reason to have a boy circumcised? What about the social aspect? I mean, what about when the boy grows up and gets married and, well, becomes "active"? Would it work any differently? Don't laugh at me...I'm really concerned about this. What if his wife is freaked out by it? I'm probably just being overly paranoid, but I had to ask. Do you or don't you and why? Don't want to create any big arguments or anything...I was just curious.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you or don't you circumcise your boys? If you do is it for religious reasons or medical? We have not had any of our boys circumcised. Nothing religious...just didn't see a need. For some reason, after Jesse was born, I started thinking about the subject again and wondered if we are doing the right thing. Is there any compelling medical reason to have a boy circumcised? What about the social aspect? I mean, what about when the boy grows up and gets married and, well, becomes "active"? Would it work any differently? Don't laugh at me...I'm really concerned about this. What if his wife is freaked out by it? I'm probably just being overly paranoid, but I had to ask. Do you or don't you and why? Don't want to create any big arguments or anything...I was just curious.

We circumcised our two boys. Not for religious reasons at all, but just because that's what Dad looks like and we wanted them to look the same. I used to gasp about those that choose not to, but not anymore. I don't see anything wrong with either way. Does that make sense? For me, it does just seem to be cleaner unless as part of hygiene you teach your boys to really clean there, but what do I know. ;)

We circed one and not the other. We did what we thought was best with the knowledge we had at the time. Matching each other never played a part in it. :)

With the first I was young and everyone told me that circing was best. By the time my next son came along I was able to do more research and decided I prefered him intact. Dh was harder to convince but went along with it. The state of their penises hasn't made a difference yet. LOL

All three of our boys are intact. DH, who is circumcised, feels very strongly about not circumcising our boys. (Our childbirth educator with our first son was passionate about the issue, and DH looked into it because of her.)

The looking-like-dad argument never made much sense to us. Frankly, I think kids would be so focused on the size difference that they wouldn't notice much else.:lol:

We had both of our boys circumcised, not because we educated ourselves on the topic, but because it's what both of our families have always done.

I wouldn't worry about your son's future. If he chooses to marry a girl who 'knows', she's likely to have seen both. If he marries a girl who doesn't, she won't know the difference.

It will not fail to function because of your choice.

I didn't see any need. Here are my basic thoughts: That is the way they are born. Not being circ'd doesn't make any difference in the way they work. Any future partner might have a preference for one way or the other no matter if the boy is intact or not - that isn't something I want to know about. Cleanliness is important either way so that is also a non-issue. Circ isn't universal, many people in many parts of the world live just fine without cosmetic surgery on their boys.

Now that I have said that, if there is a religious reason for it, then that is different.

It is one of those topics in the US that is highly divisive.

Many medical insurances and medicaid will not cover circ as it is now considered cosmetic surgery. My dh spent 2 yrs in Argentina and he was looked at as being dirty and a barbarian because he was circ'd at birth. In the world, I believe the majority are not circ'd. Even most Jewish circs are not to the degree of the present day medical circ. My brothers (who are 20 in July) were not circ'd in CA. They never had a problem with teasing etc. In CA, the majority are not circ'd and rising today. In UT most are circ'd but not for medical or religious reasons- but for the reason of looking like daddy.

My son is not circ'd. When he was 3, he realized that he didn't look like daddy. He was trying to pull his skin back to look like daddy and I explained to him that they would never look alike because daddy had his skin cut off when he was a baby. He was SHOCKED. He asked why. I told him because then the doctors thought that was the best thing. He very seriously told me that the dr was still learning. Ever after that, he was content to be him and was sad that daddy was broken. He asked on several occasions if we could buy daddy some new skin. He certainly is NOT traumatized by not looking like daddy... then again, my dd doesn't look like mommy...

There are no medical reasons that I know of that warrant mass circ of baby boys. There are risks though in having a baby circ'd

Do you or don't you circumcise your boys?

Of the five boys my partner and I have, only one is circumcised.

If you do is it for religious reasons or medical?

It was for religious reasons. I deeply regret it.

Is there any compelling medical reason to have a boy circumcised?

There are medical reasons to keep a healthy foreskin, like all baby boys come with, intact. There are also rare instances of a medical need for circumcision arising later.

What about the social aspect? I mean, what about when the boy grows up and gets married and, well, becomes "active"? Would it work any differently?

Yes, there's a big difference here. Men with foreskins have more feeling than men without them. Many very sensitive nerve endings are chopped off with that little bit of skin.

What if his wife is freaked out by it?

Well . . . three points. First, unless a woman is really into p*rn, or very sexually active, she's not going to see that many penises, and they all vary so much that a foreskin or no foreskin isn't the only way to get freaked out about the differences between two guys.

Secondly, the ones she's seen outside of a s*xual context are probably in classical artwork, and those guys weren't circed.

Third, it's becoming very common for children in the States to be uncirced, and it already is unusual in other parts of the world. When my partner didn't want his now 21yo DS circed, he had to physically stand between the group of bullying nurses and his baby. They tried to sneak the paperwork in with all the rest, and they sent a doctor and a social worker to talk him out of it. When our 2yo DS was born, the nurses asked, "So, will you be circumcising?" So it's becoming more common to be uncirced, and I believe the circed guys are really going to be the odd ones out, in our children's generation, particularly when you keep in mind the rest of the English speaking world.

I sure hope this doesn't start a big argument. I've seen it get bad on many other forums. You can find more information on how a foreskin is useful to a boy/man here.

When I was in the hospital about to give birth to Emma, the nurse asked us if she happened to be a boy if we would want her circumcised. I said yes and dh said no at exactly the same moment, and then looked at each other like the other one had clearly lost their mind. :001_huh: Thankfully, Emma turned out to be a girl, as planned, LOL.

After that I asked dh if he was circumcised. Again, I got the "What is WRONG with you?" look and he told me no. Well, I had only ever seen the one "boy part" and had no idea whether he was, or not. Then I knew. :blushing:

So, when the Snort was born I knew we did not want to have him circumcised. It was an easy decision. I don't think it makes anything work differently - all parts are fully operational here, LOL. (Although I did think the baby's was disappearing for a while, and had to go read up about fat pads and things. Ah, the things I never thought I'd need to know - "What happened to his penis? Has it disappeared?" I mean really, who do you call to ask these things????)

We had both of our boys circumcised, not because we educated ourselves on the topic, but because it's what both of our families have always done.

I wouldn't worry about your son's future. If he chooses to marry a girl who 'knows', she's likely to have seen both. If he marries a girl who doesn't, she won't know the difference.

It will not fail to function because of your choice.

good point about a future wife, lol.

We have 4 boys. The first 2 were circ'd pretty much on-schedule traditionally speaking. The third...we just never got around to, lol. He's doing fine. DH wanted #5 [4th boy] circ'd, so he is. No big questions or problems here.

If it was completely up to me, i probably wouldn't circ in the future. I just don't see the need.....

Now that I have said that, if there is a religious reason for it, then that is different.

Not to be divisive . . . rabbis vary on this point . . . but I knew friends with intact boys who converted to Judaism, and they only required a prick, not a full circ. More and more Jewish families are having circumcision-free bris ritual alternatives (or brit for us Sephardim).

Nope....the little dude is intact. We didn't see a need for it...but its funny how the boy comes to me when there are issues with his penis and doesn't go to Dad. :confused: What's up with that? I know more about my son's penis then I ever thought possible. :eek::leaving::laugh:

I know what's right for us. I don't have any reason to persuade anyone in either direction.

However, something recently gave me pause on the issue. This was talked over with people who work in nursing homes from different parts of the US. The issue was that most of the staff don't want to clean uncircumcised males very well and they were getting very gross down there. Something to think about, because many people do end up with someone else willing or unwilling to do their personal care in their old age.

Intact here. Before ds was born, we knew he was going to be a boy. Our doctor gave us information to go over, and asked us to let him know what we decided. Although dh is circ'd he was okay with leaving ds intact. I had no religious reason to wish to circ, and no compelling evidence to suggest there was any benefit to circumcising, so I didn't really couldn't see any valid points to doing so. However, I certainly don't think badly of anyone that has it done.

As far as what ds's future wife may have to think about it? Honestly I figure if she's going to have a problem with how his penis looks, there are probably bigger problems in the future, so it would probably be for the best if she moved along.

is intact and I'm thinking that more are making a similar choice nowadays.

My dh and I discussed it when I was pg with my 7 year old (his older sons were circ'd) and we kind of left the decision up in the air because he was more for it and I was very much against it. Baby was born and it was a girl so we didn't talk about it again. Next pregnancy and same thing happened -- she was a girl.

When I was in the hospital after my 3rd was born dh had gone home to check on the animals and what not and while he was gone the doctor came in and asked casually if we were doing a circumcision and I said no. She said fine and went on to do an exam of ds.

I think it was 3 or 4 weeks later dh suddenly said to me "I guess he's not getting circumcised" and I said nope. :lol: I told him that he missed his chance because he was at home instead of in the hospital even though he was with me all but about 3 hours of the total time I was in the hospital. He just laughed. Now, we could not have afforded to get it done even if we wanted to because it isn't covered under insurance.

Dh isn't upset about the fact that it wasn't done and isn't upset with me making the decision. He knows I would have won that discussion anyway :).

Not to be divisive . . . rabbis vary on this point . . . but I knew friends with intact boys who converted to Judaism, and they only required a prick, not a full circ. More and more Jewish families are having circumcision-free bris ritual alternatives (or brit for us Sephardim).

That is cool. I didn't know - the only Jewish families I know won't even discuss the topic. Thanks.

It's not done in the UK/Hong Kong and DH (American) was traumatised as an adult by attending a Bris.

There is some evidence that you are less likely to catch HIV if you are circumcised. Note, however, the 'less likely'. I suspect that we would all rather teach our children safe practices, rather than relying on a statistically reduced risk.

It's also recorded that circumcised boys get fewer urinary infections. As this seems to be a very minor problem in men, it doesn't, to me, provide a compelling argument. As it happens, the only man I ever knew who had a UTI was Jewish. One of those warnings about the use of anecdotal evidence.

So, all in all, we couldn't see why we should do it, so we didn't. Calvin has noticed that he is different from his father. We explained. End of story.

Best wishes

Laura

Our ds is intact. My dh isn't.

I was sure I wasn't going to circ before the birth, but toward the due date I started to waver and wonder what was best. I had all the same questions and this was my first baby.

My dh convinced me that leaving our baby boy intact was the best choice for us. He didn't feel that looking like daddy was important and it hasn't been an issue at all. Ds felt sorry for daddy and seemed aghast when we explained the difference. He was glad he's the way he is. The issue hasn't been mentioned since.

Dh and I felt that we shouldn't cut off a body part the moment he was born. This is the way he's born and there was no compelling reason to snip it. His body was beautiful and we thought we should just respect the integrity of it.

I also thought about female "circumcision" that occurs in Africa. It is not the same thing, of course, at all. But I did feel that we did not have a right to change his gentials. They were his afterall. I decided if he wanted to be circ'd as an adult for what ever reason, that would be his choice. I was relieved to remove myself from the decision.

I do worry about a little about hygiene, but I think boys can be taught to wash. We've gone over bathing and proper cleaning and he seems to get the idea (I hope).

I started to worry last year when I heard the study in Africa showing a significant reduction in HIV infection among circumsed men. Those intact had higher rates of HIV/AIDS and guys were lining up for a circ.

But I hope that my ds will make wise choices regarding protection. I hope that he will have only one life partner, but that's up to him, of course.

I also wondered about what his future wife will think or prefer (I don't even want to go there!). With the rates of circ falling in the US, she might actually think most guys are intact, depending of her regional and cultural experience.

But either way, a wife is gonna love her hubby "as is". I doubt that issue will be under discussion much.

I'm in the minority here....We would. FIL had alot of problems with infections and such, and he was NOT circ'd. He was not a person who had hygiene problems either. AND, everytime MIL had a yeast infection...he got one too. In addition to that, I taught with a lady whose DH had to have a circumcision at the tender age of....60 something. I don't remember why, I'm thinking some sort of chronic infection or something. DH was and has no recollection and no problems now, so he had said that we would. He has more experience than I do with one of those, well...nevermind. Shut Up now......:D

I'm in the minority here....We would. FIL had alot of problems with infections and such, and he was NOT circ'd. He was not a person who had hygiene problems either. AND, everytime MIL had a yeast infection...he got one too. In addition to that, I taught with a lady whose DH had to have a circumcision at the tender age of....60 something. I don't remember why, I'm thinking some sort of chronic infection or something. DH was and has no recollection and no problems now, so he had said that we would. He has more experience than I do with one of those, well...nevermind. Shut Up now......:D

But don't you think maybe that a doctor who isn't used to dealing with intact men might suggest circ'ing before a doctor with a more vaired experience?

There is a definite medical reason to have a boy circumcised, but not compelling. I think personal preference should take precidence. No one should pressure anyone to go either way. And I hate it when people try to bring correlations between the so called "female circumcisions" which are actually female genitile mutilations and the male circumcisions.

And I hate it when people try to bring correlations between the so called "female circumcisions" which are actually female genitile mutilations and the male circumcisions.

When it comes right down to the basics, what is the difference?

Keep in mind that I am the mother of two circ'ed boys, and I don't know a thing about female circumsicsion.

Keep in mind that I am the mother of two circ'ed boys, and I don't know a thing about female circumsicsion.

Most of the time the clitoris is removed in female "circumcision"-it's designed to take the pleasure out of s*x for women. I do agree that it doesn't have the same intentions behind it.

In female circ they usually take off all soft tissue on the outside. Cli*** is gone, so pleasure during inter** is for the most part gone. That is the difference between female and male circ.

Oh Crissy, it is horrible. If the videos of femal circ are real and honest, then it is just absolutely terrible. Obviously we can't go into detail on this forum, but if you look into it a bit you will see.

It is a huge human rights issue, in my opinion, in many countries.

In female circ they usually take off all soft tissue on the outside. Cli*** is gone, so pleasure during inter** is for the most part gone. That is the difference between female and male circ.

And it can have long lasting medical side effects. It is just a horrible, horrible thing.

The videos I have seen of this (several years ago) still haunt me to this day.

And it can have long lasting medical side effects. It is just a horrible, horrible thing.

The videos I have seen of this (several years ago) still haunt me to this day.

What, then, is the purpose?

For our boys, there are medical claims and such. Is there such a thing for the procedures you have seen on video?

My boys are intact. I have not read all the replies yet so don't mean to offend anyone when I say my next thought, but I think circing is cruel and is a mutilation of that infant. I posted earlier today that my sister had a baby this am. TOday he received his circ. WHile I was visiting they changed his diaper and it was horrible to see his glans fire engine red because of it. What purpose does it serve other than to do a cosmetic procedure on an infant and cause pain for the parents benefit.

For our boys, there are medical claims and such. Is there such a thing for the procedures you have seen on video?

It is usually done in African tribes by shamans and such, it's not a "procedure" as such. Its *specific* purpose is to take away a woman's pleasure in the s*x act so she won't be unfaithful to her husband.

By removing the ability to enjoy s#x, the parents hope to keep the daughter pure and marriage worthy. My understanding is that it is harder to make a good match with a woman who has not been circ-ed.

On the video I saw the ages ranged from a baby of about 18 months or so to a girl who must have been 12 or 13. The procedure was done in an alley without anything for pain, but I understand that wealthier families can have it done under better circumstances.

The screams haunt me every time I remember it.

By removing the ability to enjoy s#x, the parents hope to keep the daughter pure and marriage worthy. My understanding is that it is harder to make a good match with a woman who has not been circ-ed.

On the video I saw the ages ranged from a baby of about 18 months or so to a girl who must have been 12 or 13. The procedure was done in an alley without anything for pain, but I understand that wealthier families can have it done under better circumstances.

The screams haunt me every time I remember it.

Oh...I have no words...

Our DS is intact. We had planned to circ, but after talking to his Dr. in the hospital after he was born (she wouldn't do it until he was at least a week old) and doing a little research we just didn't see a need. When he is an adult he can make that choice (or not) for himself.

I don't think he has ever even thought about his being different from dad's.:001_huh:

When our son was born, my husband asked, "What about circumcising him?" I told him that if it was important to him, he was free to take him in and have it done, 'cause I wasn't going to be the one to do it. Son is not circ'd.

Barb

When our son was born, my husband asked, "What about circumcising him?" I told him that if it was important to him, he was free to take him in and have it done, 'cause I wasn't going to be the one to do it. Son is not circ'd.

Barb

I said the same thing. I even told him that he had to stay in the room with the baby (s) during the procedure.

He did. It was that important to him.

I said the same thing. I even told him that he had to stay in the room with the baby (s) during the procedure.

He did. It was that important to him.

Wow, that man has intestinal fortitude! In my husband's case, I think it was just a knee-jerk reaction. We went through something similar with infant ear piercing when our first daughter was born (he's South American). Once he was faced with the reality of going through with it, he decided it wasn't so important after all. Which, of course, I was counting on ;)

Barb

during medical school, I vowed to never allow newborn circumcision if I ever had a son. Graphic content ahead----------it is done without any local or sedation. The baby cries so hard that no sound comes from him any more. It seemed totally barbaric to me.

My oldest was circumcised when he was 7. It was done under GENERAL ANAESTHESIA and he was given pain medication and a local for pain relief afterward. Yet those very same nerve endings are present in a newborn. I think that parents should insist on seeing the procedure done, and on local anaesthetic. If it were me, I would also insist on having it done by surgeon (frequently the circumcisions are done by interns who fumble and take much longer doing it, this increasing the pain that much more) or by a moyle (sp?)who has done hundreds of them.

Remember, any circumcision done on an adult man is done with proper anaesthesia and pain relief. It is really not comparable to what is done on a baby boy.

during medical school, I vowed to never allow newborn circumcision if I ever had a son. Graphic content ahead----------it is done without any local or sedation. The baby cries so hard that no sound comes from him any more. It seemed totally barbaric to me.

My oldest was circumcised when he was 7. It was done under GENERAL ANAESTHESIA and he was given pain medication and a local for pain relief afterward. Yet those very same nerve endings are present in a newborn. I think that parents should insist on seeing the procedure done, and on local anaesthetic. If it were me, I would also insist on having it done by surgeon (frequently the circumcisions are done by interns who fumble and take much longer doing it, this increasing the pain that much more) or by a moyle (sp?)who has done hundreds of them.

Remember, any circumcision done on an adult man is done with proper anaesthesia and pain relief. It is really not comparable to what is done on a baby boy.

Both of my boys received sufficient local anesthetic, but I understand that is not common in most hospitals in our area.

His body was beautiful and we thought we should just respect the integrity of it.

I love that line.

As a nurse I preach skin integrity and often wonder why doctors (of all people) want to breach that.

Children can die, or worse be forever maimed and completely debilitated of mind and body from infection at the site if it's....say meningitis bacteria that invade the incision and go to the brain through the blood.

Very very sad. Unecessary. Heartbreaking.

Most of the time the clitoris is removed in female "circumcision"-it's designed to take the pleasure out of s*x for women. I do agree that it doesn't have the same intentions behind it.

Actually - the intentions might just be the same in some circles.

It was common treatment back in the day to circ children who were caught playing with their penises.

Old medical texts site it as a cure for the oversexualized child.

I brought that up to db (dearboyfriend) BEFORE we got pregnant and let him no under no circumstance would I allow genital mutilation to my infant child. (When he's 18 - he can pierce it, he can circ himself...whatever ).

He was aghast.

Then he read the first 4 chapters of Everything Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Circumcision and he was a little pissed off about his own foreskin being stolen from him.

Read the book - it's referenced well. Do your research.

Those educated to the anatomy and physiology of the intact penis have a different view than those who look to circ'd doctors for answers they can not possible answer from their own personal experience.

If you don't have a foreskin, and have never studied the scientific aspect of it, how can you give the facts to the parents?

Having been with intact and circ'd myself - I can tell you that an intact penis is beautiful and when hard, the skins pulls back, and looks the same as a circ'd.

Never forcably retract a baby's penis....when they are kids it begins to loosen.

This book is a must read for all who choose to keep their babies intact. If the kid ever questions you - you can tell him the medical facts. (For which he will later be greatful that you kept his pleasure sensors, his immunity intact).

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Circumcision/dp/0446678805

Our son is circ'd.

My husband and I were really torn about this issue but during the week before he was born, my friend who was in medical school at the time was telling me about this guy he just treated in a nursing home who had a raging, swollen infection from my being properly cleaned at the home.

That same week, my husband (worked for 911 at the time) took a call about 6am. The father said, I need an ambulance, my son is severely bleeding and in a lot of pain. My husband asked what was wrong and he said he was bleeding from his circ site. DH was shocked when he asked the age and the caller said his son was 14!

One other story that happened close to the week I was due was that one our friends admitted that he was circ'd as an adult and really, the sexual pleasure between being circ'd and not was negligible to him. He said he assumed before the surgery that he was trying to deal with the fact that he would be less sensitive but he said in reality, sex is very similar feeling to him as when he was intact.

Honestly, if I ever have another son, I will not get him circ'd. My husband and I both wished we left him but I'm not willing to look at those anti circ sites and buy the fact that he will not have a "full" life because of this. I understand they are trying to educate people but come on! My husband and I are perfectly <ahem> ummm, happy with the way he is (circ'd) and he probably would never have thought about the state of his penis and what he could be missing if it wasn't for the fact that we were researching. Yes, I bet there are circ'd guys who are unhappy but lets face it: most circ'd men will never give it another thought.

FWIW, my husband was in the room with my son when he was circ'd and he did cry but not nearly as much and as hard as other times, like when he was hungry or just cranky! That's just our experience though. My DS was brought right back in to me and when he was in the room, he wasn't even crying.

Again, this is not to convince someone to get their kid circ'd because if I were to do it again, I wouldn't but I just don't think it's fair when people talk of the circ like it's a deal breaker for pleasurable sex and body image.

I suspect that the nursing home problem will be reduced over time. Right now, most people who work in nursing homes in the US will not have much experience with intact males. By the time our children are old, things will have changed. I suspect that this is not an issue in countries where circumcision is rare.

Laura

I suspect that the nursing home problem will be reduced over time. Right now, most people who work in nursing homes in the US will not have much experience with intact males. By the time our children are old, things will have changed. I suspect that this is not an issue in countries where circumcision is rare.

Laura

You're probably right and the care at some nursing homes is :eek: even with a a circ!