Menu

At what age do you consider your child's career goals seriously?

For ds17, when his interests took over other aspects of his lives. Ds17 did math for "fun" when he was young, and science was his favorite time of day. He is barely 17 and has already taken College Calculus II. He doesn't need CCIII but wants to take it because he loves calculus. He stays after class to chat with his chemistry professor...about chemistry that they haven't studied yet.

His interests haven't been hard to see, they have overtaken his life. LOL This path, and his interests started really becoming apparent at about grade 7. In our homeschool, we allowed 'electives' and those for him centered around math/science.

I know he will continue to study chemistry and math. I can't say what his career will be, but he plans to apply to pharmacy school at this point.

Quote from unknown source:

"If you want to know where your heart is, look to where you mind goes when it wanders."

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I think the first year of high school is a good time to start narrowing it down. They start getting a broad enough experience to think through the choices. Before that, I always take their interests seriously as areas for independent study and hobbies. But once they hit 9th grade or so, we start soing career exploration in their areas of interest and really thinking through what they might want to do.

It could change, of course (dh changed his mind radically his freshman year of college because of some volunteer work he did, for example,) but we are giving them a solid enough base anyway that they could do anything they wanted after high school.

Along the way as my daughter tossed out thoughts and goals we used it as an opportunity to glance at what might be involved in a given choice.

Example: Mom I want to be a forensic pathologist. Talk about how many years of college, what the job pays, what a work day might look like. Sometimes we might look online, sometimes talk to someone in the field.

As for changing what we learn today to adjust for tomorrow's career, I try to leave time in our weeks for her to explore current interests and otherwise make sure we cover the basics well.

One neat result I am seeing is that she is talking more and more in terms of careers and lifelong hobbies/special interests.

I think it depends on the child. My sophomore step daughter is clueless to what she wants to do. For me personally I knew when I was a junior in high school. I spent a semester helping my aunt in her kindergarten class.

One the other hand, I'm looking at doing 4th grade math with my 3rd grade ds this summer and currently doing 5th grade science with him because all the careers he talks about have to do with science and math. He’s into Lego robotics class. It’s an intro to programming and engineering .My goal is to set up DS to do Algebra 1 in the 8th grade so whatever we choose to in high school he’ll be ready.

Jenn

At my kids' ages, I feel like my goal is to keep as many doors open as possible and explore all the interests they may have now. If they had clearer ideas of what they wanted to do at this age, I would take them seriously now, but still not focus to the extent that we were neglecting other possibilities. As early as seventh or eighth grade, if my child was very serious about a particular goal, I would be taking that very seriously and doing all that I could to support that goal.

In other words, I would be taking it as seriously as the child takes it. :)

I don't remember the statistics, or look to even verify if it is true, but our Lego Robotics Program director likes to quote some statistics to parents that most kids choose the field they actually end up in, sometime in middle school. (So, not their exact career but the field... science/engineering, medicine, the arts, caregiving etc.)

Upon thinking of it, it was true for both my husband and I.

A few criteria:

1. When the interest in that field begins to naturally take over their conversations, free time, free reading, etc.

2. When they begin to ask, "How would I go about getting involved in, educated for, learn about doing, X?" and this is not a hobby per se, or if it is, something that they are expressing, "How could this be a career/job?"

3. When they become passionate enough, that when they talk about their future, instead of "romaticized" it starts becoming down-to-earth, realistic.

4. When they specifically ask how to plan a path towards the goal of becoming this and then when they find out what potentially must be done to do so, feel energized or excited and not overwhelmed or "Egads! I'm not doing that!"

5. When as a parent, I can see that what they want to be is also, on some level, almost a definition of who they are. Science sort of does define dh...the local mad scientist. He's a computer guru and everything about computers fascinates him even though he now does not like the tech industry on a business level. I am a musician and frankly, anyone who knows me knows that music and I are interlocking.

So for dd, there was no question that by 8th grade she KNEW it would be medicine. At first she thought veterinary science, and so we pursued getting her volunteer positions taking care of livestock - farm sitting, and seeing practice and cleaning up at our vet's office. This did not extinguish her love of medicine, but she knew that animal medicine was not her calling. Time spent in the ER with a sick relative and then again, visiting some elderly people from our community who were experiencing long hospitalizations and needing some visitors convinced her that definately human medicine was the way to go. It was a good thing those nurses did not mind her following them around and bombarding them with questions at the nurses station and I'm happy that the cardiologist on call recognized a medical geek in the making and didn't mind taking her around and explaining the equipment. We were fortunate to find a few shifts of staff that were by in large thrilled to have a young person show so much interest.

For ds (14.5), he doesn't have it nailed yet but he's getting it narrowed down. We know where his passions are; it's just a matter of him finding the right niche for him. So, we've begun college visits early hoping that touring specific departments and talking to students majoring in these areas, plus assigning a LOT of reading and research will help him hone in on that just right path.

Ds (13) is a done deal. He's known since he was 11 and frankly, he knows himself well enough that I believe him. It fits him; it is his passion and he is brilliant in this particular academic field. He is also a real adventurer and not easily scared. He's got a great work ethic so though he will need a minimum of a master's and probably a PH.D. and he'll be doing a lot of grunt work for other brainiacs in his field before he gets to be "the brain" and he knows this, he is not afraid to go for it. I am certain he will make it happen. He's already researching colleges and uni's, writing letters to researchers and hoping they'll take the time to respond, finding out what is going on in all corners of the globe in his field, designing his high school path in math, science, and electives to make it happen. He has set a goal to get through his Physical Science and AP Biology this year. I was afraid it would be too much for him but did not want to discourage him from trying. He's on track to do it!

Ds 11 has known since he was 8 and frankly, it so fits him! His given name should have been Mr. Math. He'll become a math professor; everyone who knows him knows it. His other FLAMING passion is astronomy. But, he won't be teaching undergrad I can tell you that! No passion for those that might still need a little nurturing or grace. If you have ever watched the show "Bones" on Fox, my son is the male version of Dr. Temperance Brennan in personality. He isn't quite as socially inept as Zach, but he has NO tolerance for illogic and sentiment. He does however, thankfully, have an awesome set of humor.

I guess my kids have figured it out very young. I was that way. In 5th grade I announced that I would be a marine biologist or a classical pianist. Right up until my senior year of high school, I was on a path to marine biology and stuck with it tenaciously. The only thing that detracted from that passion was the hours spent at the piano. It was my dad who convinced me to change course. Half of the uni's I applied to were for marine biology, the other half were LAC's/Conservatories. I decided which ever path produced the most scholarship money would win. Music won! I have no regrets.

So, I guess they get the hyper focus gene from me. :D

Faith

The way I look at it ... at any age, find ways to foster that interest, while, at the same time, keep up a rounded education so that you don't close any doors if the child changes his mind.

My oldest was sure he wanted to be a paleontologist from about age 2. At age 4, he knew who the famous paleontologists were. At age 8, he was inundating me with discussions of new dinosaurs discovered in South America (after which I had to ban dino talk before breakfast because I really didn't care to discuss the stride length/femur bone correlation until my brain had proper nurishment. All this time, we bought books on dinos, watched documentaries, etc. In 8th grade, while studying high school biology, he had an assignment to research a career in bio, so of course, he chose paleontology. During that course of study, he realized that he would have to become an expert on rocks as well. That summer, we did a dino dig as part of our family vacation. His report, plus his dino dig work actually convinced him that he really didn't want to be a geologist in addition to a biologist and so his interest waned. But, while I was mapping out a school plan that helped him in that goal, I kept up with all the other areas so as not to eliminate any options. In high school, while we were preparing him for a career in a biology field, I have been careful not to close any doors in his other areas of interest, such as history and physics. We are striving for a well-rounded education.

Sorry for such a long-winded answer.

My son is at Faith's number one. He lives and breathes computers, right now it's graphic design and editing. He's circled around many things over the years, but computers has been around the longest. I'm not surprised and I do predict he will wind up in a technology field somewhere. We're a techie family anyway.

My suspicions are that it's more on that graphic/artistic side, not the programming side. That part is still developing though.

He just turned 14 and we're trying to provide for those interests at a deeper level now. This week he put together a wish list, it's about 25k in investment. :svengo: He's realistic about our budget at this point and knows if he wants that much, he's going to have to earn it on his own. At least he thinks big.

Ds 11 has known since he was 8 and frankly, it so fits him! His given name should have been Mr. Math. He'll become a math professor; everyone who knows him knows it. His other FLAMING passion is astronomy. But, he won't be teaching undergrad I can tell you that! No passion for those that might still need a little nurturing or grace. If you have ever watched the show "Bones" on Fox, my son is the male version of Dr. Temperance Brennan in personality. He isn't quite as socially inept as Zach, but he has NO tolerance for illogic and sentiment. He does however, thankfully, have an awesome set of humor.

You're describing my DS9, only he's more socially inept and has no understanding of humor. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into some sort of math or science field, though there's no way to narrow it down further at this point. I switched his math to AoPS to give him a better path for mathematics. We do a lot of science in our home because he requests it. So even though we don't have it nailed down, I'm already altering his course.

DD11 has no clue. I know she wants to be a mom, will breastfeed, and will homeschool. :D Career ideas beyond that? No clue. So, I trying to give her a general well-rounded education.

Edited by joannqn

I think it depends on the child. I knew at 7 what I wanted to do, but my husband didn't know until 22.

I think that it's important to explore and research any interests. They may last a month, or a lifetime. Realistically, I think that the first year of high school is a good time to do some in depth exploring...even if you have a child who might not know what they want to do.

I think the idea of keeping the education well-rounded is very important. How are they going to be able to make a well-educated choice if they haven't been exposed to the other side?

My son is still on the young side for knowing what he wants to do. He has interests, but he doesn't pursue those interests independently very often. He loves animals and has spoken of being a wildlife photographer so he can travel the world and take pictures of animals. But he always follows this with "or have a job that I can make lots of money and travel around the world taking pictures of animals for fun." :lol:

Because of his love of animals, I was surprised when he found history more exciting than science. But then I realized that he loves books and story telling. He is also amazingly creative and makes all kind of story lines while playing with LEGO. (He's not as much a builder with them as he is a story teller.) He wants to learn how to make stop-motion LEGO movies and has also discussed writing a screen-play for books he's read. So even though he doesn't discuss it as a career, I could see him going into something along the creative / writing type thing.

I probably wouldn't let him start choosing his own path of study based on his career interests until he's entering high school. I hope to homeschool through high school, but if his career choice would be better served by doing something out of the home - I'll support him in that. But as long as he continues to receive a well-rounded education.

One of my kids is very interested in meteorology. He is about to turn 11. Although we don't spend formal school time studying it, we get him books on meteorology, find websites showing radar and encourage his latest pursuit of writing short reports on various weather conditions. He types up the reports, credits the source, edits with help from mom or dad and then prints them and sells them to grandparents for a few dollars each.:001_smile: We have looked for a way to tour a local TV station so he can see where the meteorologists work. I have also looked up college programs on meteorology. This may be a passing interest, but it is one I want to encourage in any way possible.

A few criteria:

1. When the interest in that field begins to naturally take over their conversations, free time, free reading, etc.

2. When they begin to ask, "How would I go about getting involved in, educated for, learn about doing, X?" and this is not a hobby per se, or if it is, something that they are expressing, "How could this be a career/job?"

3. When they become passionate enough, that when they talk about their future, instead of "romaticized" it starts becoming down-to-earth, realistic.

4. When they specifically ask how to plan a path towards the goal of becoming this and then when they find out what potentially must be done to do so, feel energized or excited and not overwhelmed or "Egads! I'm not doing that!"

5. When as a parent, I can see that what they want to be is also, on some level, almost a definition of who they are. Science sort of does define dh...the local mad scientist. He's a computer guru and everything about computers fascinates him even though he now does not like the tech industry on a business level. I am a musician and frankly, anyone who knows me knows that music and I are interlocking.

:iagree:

At what age have you considered your child's future career goals as something you should seriously consider when determining classwork?

I consider my children's career goals seriously but I do NOT used them to determine class work. High schoolers have been known to change their mind. I want my kids to be fully prepared to major in ANY subject they choose (with the exception of music and arts for which they quite obviously have neither desire nor the necessary talent) and will use high school to provide them with a broad education, not a specialized narrow one.

This means that both will take four years of math (including calculus), four years of English, history, rigorous science and one foreign language, plus electives to make it well rounded - to be prepared for any major in college.

DD's wish has been to be a biologist since she was 6; now it's biophysics - but she still will get a rigorous literature education and take art and music electives.

One of my kids is very interested in meteorology. He is about to turn 11. Although we don't spend formal school time studying it, we get him books on meteorology, find websites showing radar and encourage his latest pursuit of writing short reports on various weather conditions. He types up the reports, credits the source, edits with help from mom or dad and then prints them and sells them to grandparents for a few dollars each.:001_smile: We have looked for a way to tour a local TV station so he can see where the meteorologists work. I have also looked up college programs on meteorology. This may be a passing interest, but it is one I want to encourage in any way possible.

My dad worked for a TV station (behind the scenes). We used to go to work with him once in a while. I found the meteorologists to be very enthusiastic with young people. They're big 'ol geeks (mean that in a good way) and love sharing the technology and their passion. I remember getting to see all the new computers and stuff when doppler technology first came out.

My dad worked for a TV station (behind the scenes). We used to go to work with him once in a while. I found the meteorologists to be very enthusiastic with young people. They're big 'ol geeks (mean that in a good way) and love sharing the technology and their passion. I remember getting to see all the new computers and stuff when doppler technology first came out.

My son would be awestruck at this!:D

My oldest, 11, has never really settled on anything. She's always loved history so I've allowed that to be a bit more of what she does but we haven't slacked on the other subjects either. She likes to try everything once so I don't even think she'll know until college. My youngest, 9, is very different though and I've made sure to make science and math more of a priority for her. She loves animals to the point of obsession, especially marine animals. She has said she wants to be a vet since she was five and that wouldn't surprise me. I think she'll probably end up on the marine side of animals in the end though. My fear is one day she'll call to tell me she's going swimming with the sharks. She loves sharks! :glare:

Two of my five children developed a strong passion for a career interest by the time they were 17 (high school juniors). They had these interests much earlier, but instead of wavering or changing, these interests grew stronger and stronger. By age 17, they were extremely dedicated and spent nearly every free moment they had working toward these career interests. That is when I took it seriously.

I do, too. My 8yo has always said he wants to be a fisherman when he grows up. He is fasinated with biology and conservation. He shows an extreme aptitude for this sport and his chosen role models from famous conservationists. He started fishing when he was just 2. He would sit for hours holding a pole. He's very energetic and is typically always on the go. But, put a pole in that kid's hands and he is a calm pool. I have no doubt he will grow up to be a biologist (or pro fisherman).

My 11yo changes his mind every once in a while but typically sticks with science/technology fields.

when they're in college they can study what they want (well, mostly). a basic education is a basic education and I don't care what their career goals are, I expect them to get a basic education. they may want to do arts - but they still have to pay their bills/handle money, learn how to think, etc.

if they're paying their own bills, they can do whatever they want.

Start taking them seriously when their career choice becomes something you can motivate them with.

My DD age 11 has said for the last two years she wants to be an engineer. The obvious application here is math and science, but you know what? Amazingly enough, kids who decide at age 9 that they want to be engineers are ALREADY good at math and science, LOL!! :D Oh, sure, we've thrown in more elective stuff and accelerated, but she was good at this stuff so we probably didn't do much we wouldn't have done anyway.

I started taking her seriously when her desire to be an engineer began to improve her OTHER subjects. Better work on that handwriting, engineers need to keep lab notebooks, other people will have to read your notes. Work on your grammar and spelling, because you'll have to write reports for your bosses or requests for grants, you won't be taken seriously or understood if you can get across in writing what you are doing. A lot of your fellow engineers will be from Asia, better work harder on your Mandarin.

When SHE began taking herself seriously enough to let her career aspirations influence her overall education, *I* started researching the requirements for homeschoolers at Rose-Hulman and Purdue :)