Menu

Could someone please read the review of A.C.E over at Homeschool Reviews....

Sheesh! I couldn't even finish reading it. I could feel my blood pressure rising with every line I read. :tongue_smilie: I am too set in my ways to use ACE or switch to anything else. I have set goals, kids with specific learning styles and I know what's working.

Are you thinking about using ACE? Someone in our homeschool group uses it. She likes it.

No, no, no. I'm not wanting to use it. ;)

I read it and had to agree that in "theory" the reviewer made ACE seem quite appealing in *some* regards. Truthfully, I could see my dd thriving using something like that. However, "thriving" would probably take on a different meaning if that were the case.:glare: But in all seriousness, I have many days when I want to put a fill in the blank, matching, circle x,y,z, etc... type of curriculum-and let me just be MOM. But...then I may as well just put her in school, yk?:tongue_smilie:

I dunno-in a way the review rubbed me in a very horrible way but it also oddly appealed to me in a very nice way.:)

How's that for not making much sense and randomly posting my thoughts out loud?:lol:

Sounds like they are trying to guilt stressed out moms into buying the curriculum. Buy this! It grades, your kids do it themselves, they will be Super Children, people love to hire A.C.E. graduates....it slices, it dices, IT CLEANS YOUR HOUSE!

I bet it does work for a lot of people and I think that's great, but that review left me cold.

Also, complete newbie here, but teaching IS work, right? I'm expecting to have to put some time, effort, and sweat equity into my kid's education. If I didn't want to evaluate work, spend some extra time prepping and planning, or read the same books as my kids I probably wouldn't be all that enthusiastic about home educating.

Sounds like they are trying to guilt stressed out moms into buying the curriculum. Buy this! It grades, your kids do it themselves, they will be Super Children, people love to hire A.C.E. graduates....it slices, it dices, IT CLEANS YOUR HOUSE!

:iagree: They didn't mention being against uneducated drunks, just intelligent ones. :lol:

MrsBasil - I love your avatar! We are big Phineas and Ferb fans here.

I totally agree with your point here:

Also, complete newbie here, but teaching IS work, right? I'm expecting to have to put some time, effort, and sweat equity into my kid's education. If I didn't want to evaluate work, spend some extra time prepping and planning, or read the same books as my kids I probably wouldn't be all that enthusiastic about home educating.

My job as a homeschool mom is to teach. When I get frustrated with my kids, it's usually because I make something else the priority. From 8 to 2, I teach. Thats my job! Thanks for the great reminder!

Ha, be careful. The regulars on HSReviews tend to think we WTM'ers are snobs, A.C.E-hating, and HSing overachievers. They love to bash the WTM boards, yet funny how many of them are come here just long enough to judge. This thread about A.C.E. will be just fuel for their WTM-hating fire, lol. :D

It made me think that the reviewer has a very low opinion of homeschool moms - we are clearly just slackers who will take the first chance we can to drop the ball on our children's education because we are tired/stressed/ill/fill in the blank. This hs'ing gig is just too hard - impossible really! - unless our kids simply educate themselves independently.

I want more out of hs'ing than what the reviewer is suggesting.

I am a user of A.C.E. and it is nice to use since I have younger children in the house. She gets her work done in a timely manner while I am working on the younger two.

I have no objection to ACE in general but I do object to the attitude of the reviewer in question and the suggestion that ACE is the ONLY way to adequately educate hs'ed kids.

Yes, it is work,you do sweat, cry, scream but you also laugh, smile, and say "this isn't so bad". I feel like this, too. I want to educate my kids, not throw some workbooks at them and say " hope you self learn...have a nice day, I am going to watch Days of our Lives"

Good grief. That was exhausting. Does anyone know why she put NURSING and BUSINESS in all caps when referring to the types of degrees many hs moms have? It seemed weird.

I went to a private school for a while when I was younger that used ACE. I was not a fan. It was...lonely. We had desks with dividers between them, and worked all by ourselves with absolutely no talking and no interaction. The "teachers" just wandered around making sure people didn't talk. There was no instruction at all.

I didn't keep Indy home so he could sit by himself and do workbook after workbook. I like interacting with him and *gasp* teaching him. If it works for some families, great. It's just not for mine.

I have a good friend who used it for her sons. One is doing well in college, the other skipped a grade in private high school.

Thank you for saying that. All I ever seem to hear is how "behind" it is and how dumbed-down, cheesy, etc. It's good to know there are kids who used it and they aren't ruined.;)

I have 3 boys using this program this year and it is wonderful for them! They are making progress, actually learning, and very happy with it. No more fights over school. No more stressed-out Mom because of too much to do.

Teaching IS work - especially when you have 5 school-age dc. The three boys have LDs of varying degrees. It *works* for them. It isn't the only thing we do, but it is the spine of their education.

I know it isn't for everyone, and not everyone uses it the way it was intended. Some moms just say, "Here - do your work" and leave it at that. That isn't entirely how it is meant to be used. Following the ACE procedures works much better than that approach.

As for the article - eh. It seems you could give a positive review without bashing everything else out there.

Edited by Renee in FL

Good grief. That was exhausting. Does anyone know why she put NURSING and BUSINESS in all caps when referring to the types of degrees many hs moms have? It seemed weird.

Maybe it's code for what women do? Nursing, because you're breastfeeding babies. Business, to run the household. :tongue_smilie:

It was the kind of review that, regardless of what curriculum was the target, gives the feel of "snake oil salesman".

Honestly, it felt like a paid endorsement/infomercial/have we got the magic formula for you advertisement.

I tend not to be fond of such rantings no matter what product is being toted.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
spelling

That "Review" wouldn't bother me on ACE's site-but on Homeschoolreviews, it rings about like posting the "10 reasons to pick Sonlight" as a review of Sonlight. It's not a review (this is how it worked for my kids, this is what I liked/disliked about it) but an advertisement. And I don't want advertisements when I'm looking for reviews. I want the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Go ahead and buy all of the super-idealized curriculum you want. But this year try teaching it in the evenings or on the weekends when you get that one “supercharged-mommy-moment†a week, but for all the REST of the time, for all those “barely-making-it†hours, get a curriculum that your children can do WITHOUT you.

Wow! :001_huh:

It seemed odd to completely copy an article into a review. It would seem more like a review if she just linked it and then gave her own opinion. It's too obvious this way. ;)

Wow, all I did was scroll down to the 12 reasons and they are so over the top I keep laughing out loud at them. ACE will prevent your children from being drunks? If you don't use ACE, you won't like your kids? You have to mortgage your house to buy other curriculum? Is this some kind of joke?

Also, people who CAPITALIZE random WORDS just for emphasis really ANNOY me.

I know some people here are using this curriculum and it's working and that's great, but I had to use it for a few subjects when I was in Junior high and I loathed every moment of it. It was so boring. With the thin books I never felt like I was getting anywhere. One little book goes away, bunches more to go. I would never use it.

I chafe (not only at RANDOM caps, like everyone else) but at the idea that there's something wrong with striving for an ideal. It's only problematic if you somehow think it's achievable instead of a goal to work towards. Education is a journey and a process. There's not any one thing that can "fix" it for you and make it set forever. In my mind, it should always be evolving, responding and changing as the kids grow and as we learn more as teachers. It'll never be perfect no matter what you use and accepting that is much more mature than whining that other people are supermommies or that we can't do it all. Of course we can't. Get over it and do your best with your ideals instead.

Thank you for saying that. All I ever seem to hear is how "behind" it is and how dumbed-down, cheesy, etc. It's good to know there are kids who used it and they aren't ruined.;)

I mentioned that I knew some families who use this and are happy with it - I could also add that their children are very bright, knowledgeable young people. One family in particular right now - their oldest is headed off to university and the younger two will be right along there shortly as well.

I get that this forum has many families who follow the "classical" (or is it "neo-classical"?) method - and that's fantastic if it works for them! - but not every family can thrive with that style. I'm glad there are so many choices out there! :D

I chafe (not only at RANDOM caps, like everyone else) but at the idea that there's something wrong with striving for an ideal. It's only problematic if you somehow think it's achievable instead of a goal to work towards. Education is a journey and a process. There's not any one thing that can "fix" it for you and make it set forever. In my mind, it should always be evolving, responding and changing as the kids grow and as we learn more as teachers. It'll never be perfect no matter what you use and accepting that is much more mature than whining that other people are supermommies or that we can't do it all. Of course we can't. Get over it and do your best with your ideals instead.

:iagree: Well said.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with ACE, but that review is a major turn-off.

The single biggest cause of homeschooling burnout is choosing the WRONG curriculum. For most homeschoolers, veterans and beginners alike, the illusion is that you will always have perfect days in which to teach, but the reality is that you’ll SELDOM have even ONE perfect homeschooling day. If your schooling centers on you as the teacher, it will simply slip through the cracks on days when other demands take over. Because schooling is THE ONE flexible/negotiable part of the day (no one is watching), it often gets put on the back burner (for far too many days, for months on end), because today we can’t do it RIGHT, using what you THOUGHT was the ideal curriculum.

From the review!

In our house schooling is not the one flexible/negotiable part of the day because someone is watching(um God, dh, and myself.;))

I have a good friend who used it for her sons. One is doing well in college, the other skipped a grade in private high school.

I've seen this as well. I attended a small Christian college and had friends from two different ACE schools (and went on to work at one of the schools for a year). Both schools used the same ACE program but otherwise they were totally different. Students from one school came to college with no idea how to write essays or take notes - they generally had lower scores in class. Students from the other ACE school were always top of the class, great scores on papers, etc.

Same program but very different outcomes.

From the review!

In our house schooling is not the one flexible/negotiable part of the day because someone is watching(um God, dh, and myself.;))

Yeah, the reviewer must not have any self-discipline much less gumption. Honestly, everything in this house bows to getting schoolwork done...well, except today. The boys are still sick and I injured my back. So, health does get to interrupt us sometimes but that is no different than if the kids were in school.

Seriously, the person who wrote the review would do well to engage brain cells in an activity we like to call "critical thinking". :D

Faith

Well, my PM box is full.:o

I think I will just be honest and say the reason I even read the review was because of some of the very reasons that person(the reviewer) mentioned.:o

Attempting to successfully hs an independent, strong-willed, "I just want to get it done" teen, led me to search outside my usual hsing route-which has either been unit studies or literature based. ( wow! add in the fact that i can't write, let alone teach it....:glare:)

I wish I could afford to sign her up for online classes but, I cannot. So I am doing my best to bring about balance between my desired approach to learning and her desires to be independent. Reading that some moms really like ACE led me to the reviews-and that single last review both preyed on my insecurities and p*ssed me off. Thus my reason to seek others opinions.;)

To the poster who asked about ACE vs. AOP-from the examples I could read online I have chosen the online version of SOS for a couple of classes this year. My impression of ACE is that it forces the words, Bible and God, into every other sentence. That is unnecessary imho. However, I still have nothing against ACE-but have only very un-Christ-like things to say about the mentioned reviewer.

Edited by smilesonly

I've seen this as well. I attended a small Christian college and had friends from two different ACE schools (and went on to work at one of the schools for a year). Both schools used the same ACE program but otherwise they were totally different. Students from one school came to college with no idea how to write essays or take notes - they generally had lower scores in class. Students from the other ACE school were always top of the class, great scores on papers, etc.

Same program but very different outcomes.

My husband was a board member at an ACE school. They acquired "model school" status. How they did that, I have no idea. The kids were ALWAYS in remedial when they hit college. I wasn't impressed with the curriculum and neither were several people on the board. But it was the "yes men" that kept winning. The church would not give up that stinkin' bone. To this day, I really have nothing good to say about that (dumbed down) curriculum. I am glad to hear some people got something positive out of it, but I've yet to see a student of ACE go into a challenging field of study afterwards.

btw, I feel the same about CLE after looking over what my nieces and nephews were using and how they were (not) progressing.

Edited by mommaduck

If your student needs some accountability...there's stuff like Kolbe, Seton and I know there are others out there (but I can't think of any right now). I think Kolbe follows the classical model. Is Seton more like traditional school (I may be wrong)? There's Calvert, but that stops before high school.

I have no idea what the ACE stuff even looks like. We did CLE for a year and it was good for what we needed that year. I'm guessing ACE is similar...

If your student needs some accountability...there's stuff like Kolbe, Seton and I know there are others out there (but I can't think of any right now). I think Kolbe follows the classical model. Is Seton more like traditional school (I may be wrong)? There's Calvert, but that stops before high school.

I have no idea what the ACE stuff even looks like. We did CLE for a year and it was good for what we needed that year. I'm guessing ACE is similar...

Yes, read the booklet and answer the questions at the end.

From the review!

:iagree: Seriously?

I mean if you choose to use ACE, great. However, if school is something you "attempt" to squeeze in between loads of laundry, perhaps you should look into other educational options, like public school.

But maybe we're the exception, we've had more than one good day of homeschooling.

After reading this:

We recommend ACE for these 12 very tight and succinct reasons:

1. ACE is taught using THIN booklets…as in… easy to haul on errands.

2. ACE is comprehensive…as in… nothing will fall through the cracks.

3. ACE is spiritual…as in… you won’t produce an intelligent drunk.

4. ACE is engaging, uplifting and KEEPS their interest both academically and spiritually…as in…children end up LOVING God THROUGH their subjects.

5. ACE is self-taught…as in…not mommy dependent…as in… it actually HAPPENS every day regardless of the chaos mom is embroiled in at the moment.

6. ACE is self-corrected…as in…the student has instant feedback.

7. ACE is the curriculum for tear reduction…as in ...momma doesn’t burn out…she actually likes her children AND gets dinner on the table…and wants to continue homeschooling next year.

8. ACE is priced at the low end of curriculums…as in… you don’t have to rob a bank or incur debt to buy it. The entire year costs less than one month’s tuition at any private Christian school. It is so inexpensive, the grandparents can purchase it for you. You won’t grow bitter halfway through the year because you sank 2 grand into a curriculum and now you hate the stuff but can’t possibly switch because you mortgaged the house to get it.

9. ACE trains OUTSTANDING character, woven into the full page text of every subject…as in…not tacked on as a token at the end of the entire day just to make it LOOK spiritual.

10. Employers love to hire ACE graduates for any type of work, because they have found year after year that these students’ cheerful work-ethic is second to none.

11. ACE is in 135 countries and currently educates well over 3 million children…as in…tried and true…kids actually graduate…they actually score high on standardized tests…they actually get scholarships at colleges.

12. ACE is guilt free…school happens.

I think CLE fits this description as well. If you are looking for these qualities in a curriculum, you'd likely be happy with CLE.

Treading lightly here because I know it is a great fit for some families, but (before my WTM conversion!) my kids faked their way through ACE. They could fill in the blanks, but couldn't transfer it outside of the PACES. CLE is quite different--using English as a example--you can't get by with short term memorization.

And :lol: about the intelligent drunk comment. Adding that to my list of outcomes to avoid.

Edited by homeschoolally

After reading this:

We recommend ACE for these 12 very tight and succinct reasons:

10. Employers love to hire ACE graduates for any type of work, because they have found year after year that these students’ cheerful work-ethic is second to none.

Number 10 really cracks me up! I have yet to meet a single employer who has asked any graduate what curriculum was used at their school. Oh, colleges may ask, but employers, NOT!

Faith

I got the impression that she capitalized the words because she wanted to emphasis that people thought that any old degree would make them qualified, when indeed only a education major would do that. (Not that I agree, just why I thought she did that.)

Does anyone know if Alpha-Omega LifePacs are a "better" curriculum than ACE?

I looked at both biology programs and it seems like AO covers more material and more relevant material...as in (:tongue_smilie:) the material is more like a typical bio class.

I can't compare ACE to Alpha Omega because I never used any ACE (it used to not be easy for hsers to acquire). I used some Alpha Omega materials, though, and was underwhelmed. :glare:

In particular, I tried the biology, and it was dreadful. Just don't go there. Really.

Ha, be careful. The regulars on HSReviews tend to think we WTM'ers are snobs, A.C.E-hating, and HSing overachievers. They love to bash the WTM boards, yet funny how many of them are come here just long enough to judge. This thread about A.C.E. will be just fuel for their WTM-hating fire, lol. :D

As a "regular" on HSReviews, I resemble that remark. :lol:

Actually, I don't know how many members actually read those reviews. I don't. Oh, wait...I'm not actually hsing. :lol: But still, it wouldn't be the first place I'd recommend to newbies. I'd send 'em here. :D

Number 10 really cracks me up! I have yet to meet a single employer who has asked any graduate what curriculum was used at their school. Oh, colleges may ask, but employers, NOT!

Faith

To be fair, people say the same thing about ABeka. And you're right: employers don't care (and don't even ask) which publisher's textbooks an employee's high school used. Not all colleges ask that, either.

And tell me what you think?? You don't have to share your opinion on the curriculum, but the last person to review it left quite a bit to think about.:001_huh:

I've never used ACE before but this reviewer makes some interesting points.

:bigear:

This would be the last review I'd recommend someone to read when deciding whether to use ACE or not. There is no real information given about academic standards, the methodology used, the format, or anything. She just bashes other methods, which, BTW, were mostly developed or adapted by homeschooling parents who thought materials published for classrooms (like ACE) were inadequate or inappropriate for teaching children at home.

Here's the link to the review:

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=351

Which is taken from this website:

http://www.homeschoolhowtos.com/content/comments/are_you_sure_you_have_the_right_curriculum/

And a similar article from Mrs. Ellison:

http://www.homeschoolhowtos.com/content/comments/navigating_the_curriculum_jungle_without_tears_for_mama/

From the above article, my impression is that she recommends ACE (or self-instructing curriculum) because of the harried HSing parents she meets, worrying over whether they've picked the right curriculum. Now, I am one of those parents who is happy to talk curriculum all day long, and maybe I even appeared frazzled to some. But I view that time as finding the right tool for the skills-building toolbox. I don't expect to see the fruit for some time.

So while I agree with her statement "Keep in mind that providing an education for your child is ONLY an education, it is not a god! " , I have to disagree with the assumptions that if I spend time on my child's education, I'm a failure in the other areas of life.

Treading lightly here because I know it is a great fit for some families, but (before my WTM conversion!) my kids faked their way through ACE. They could fill in the blanks, but couldn't transfer it outside of the PACES. CLE is quite different--using English as a example--you can't get by with short term memorization.

This was my experience during the short time we used ACE. I also have a friend now that is using ACE with her son because it is cheap and he can do it while she works from home full time. She can't understand why he is working 2 grade levels ahead of peers in ACE but on standardized testing he is testing several grades lower, even lower than my child with LD. I told her that he has learned the formula to the workbooklets and is just filling in blanks but not retaining it because it requires no effort from him to fill in the blanks. It is not challenging him.