1 member has voted

1. 1. How old is you accelerated learner

• 5 and younger
    • 6-7
    • 8-9
    • 10-11
    • 12-13
    • 14 & up

All three as listed in my sig, though the wee one doesn't have any curriculum yet. She thinks she does. She had a ” booka” of her own that she makes ” circos” in while the big kids do their math.

OEs are pretty much wall-to-wall around here, inc. DH and I.

I selected 5 and under....but as of Friday he will be 6!

He would be in Kindergarten this year. He is working at a 2nd grade level in English, and a 2nd-3rd grade level in math. Spelling is second grade and in reading he is fluent at a 3rd grade level and can read at a 6th grade level (he really just does not have the attention span for higher level books yet.) His retention for history and science is amazing! History is what he seems to love!

Two 4yos. One is accelerated in school (started KG at 4 despite October birthday). She's not really accelerated compared to her KG classmates, but she's ahead of age-mates in pre-K.

The second kid is not officially accelerated (yet), but she's functioning 2+ years ahead of her age-mates in pre-K.

DS1 is 7 and is accelerated in most subjects.

DS2 is 4, though I don't really consider him "accelerated", but I guess he is slightly. I don't know if he'll stay "accelerated" once we get past K materials. I don't know if he's gifted or not, and I really can't understand the child's brain whatsoever. :lol:

I suspect DS3 (2 years old) will probably be a lot like DS1 academically (judging by some early signs that are similar), though he also has the silliness of DS2. It's a scary combination. :tongue_smilie:Time will tell.

I voted for both of my kids before thinking about the fact that my daughter (16) isn't a student anymore.

I am one of those parents who don't often hang out on this board these days. Each of mine has reached a point at which the asynchonous stuff kind of irons out and I get the most information and help from the boards where there are other people teaching kids at the same grade level. So, nowadays, I spend most of my time on the high school board.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

My daughter would actually be two years ahead in most states, because she'll be five in October and in most states wouldn't have been able to start kindergarten this year (she's working at first grade level).

This is us too: he's 5 tomorrow, and we're at late K/early 1st in everything. We should be finishing off the K math shortly, and I've been counting the 1st half of OPGTR as K, but I don't actually know. We've got a bit to go - we're right around lesson 50. But everything else he's doing 1st grade work, and I don't think any of it is any too hard, enough that I sometimes worry that it should be more. I'm working on getting the math up to a place where he's a little less like a skipped stone - we land, take it in, take off again - ASAP right now, then we'll figure out what to do about the rest. The reading doesn't interest him yet, so we just plod along.

My 4.5 years old is gifted in math/logic and science. He does good with foreign languages also.

When my oldest one was 6, she was accelerated 2 years ahead in math; now she is just at a "grade" level but we are doing it with a "deep and broad" approach,supplementing with Olympiad assignments, logical puzzles etc.

Edited by SneguochkaL

11 and 9. I don't know about my 4 and 2 year olds yet.

I think you'll find this particular board skews younger because many of the parents with older accelerated kids are hanging out on the high school board.

But I'm not ready to think high school even if they are working at that level in some areas.

I voted for both of my kids before thinking about the fact that my daughter (16) isn't a student anymore.

I am one of those parents who don't often hang out on this board these days. Each of mine has reached a point at which the asynchonous stuff kind of irons out and I get the most information and help from the boards where there are other people teaching kids at the same grade level. So, nowadays, I spend most of my time on the high school board.

:iagree:Mine are 12 and 14, and I hardly read here - sometimes to comment, but I get most of the helpful information on the high school board.

Almost 7.5. I think she may have some vision issues (which I hope to have evaluated tomorrow, finally!) that have been holding her back with her school work. Currently she's about a year advanced academically, but struggles with some things because I think her eyes don't team well.

Depending on what you mean by accelerated, dd is 1 year ahead in coursework that is rigorous in science and math. She is 13. She accomplishes this through hard and diligent work. Ds on the contrary, is very gifted. He is 2 years ahead in math and reads science books like a novel. But he is lazy and takes too much for granted. I am sure he will hit a wall soon. There is no way he can complete course by counting on 'raw intelligence' only.