Menu

*Other than poor oral hygiene,* what causes receding gums?

I have zero knowledge on this subject but I was talking to a friend on Sat. night who has this problem. His dentist told him he was brushing too hard. He switched to an electric toothbrush with the softest head available. Apparently this has helped.

Well, I was using an electric toothbrush with a soft head, but I was thinking that it felt too rough, so I switched back to my regular toothbrush, and pay special attention not to brush too hard. Frustrating!

Our dentist has told us that brushing your teeth in an upward swoop (for upper teeth) and downward swoop (for lower teeth) can cause this. You should brush them from side-to-side instead, or going in the same direction as the gums, not against them.

Our dentist has told us that brushing your teeth in an upward swoop (for upper teeth) and downward swoop (for lower teeth) can cause this. You should brush them from side-to-side instead, or going in the same direction as the gums, not against them.

I've been very careful about this--hoping against hope that I could reverse the problem (even though the dentist told me that it's irreversible). Surely if I keep coaxing them in the right direction, they'll comply...right? :tongue_smilie:

My DH has this problem as does EVERYONE in his family. Perhaps genetics play a role??? I know he did used to brush too hard and has switched to a softhead which has helped some but has not eliminated the problem.

OT, but I just wanted to tell you that I *love* the picture of your little guy! :001_smile:

Dh had surgery because of gum recession. The oral surgeon told him that his electric toothbrush had a lot to do with the recession. She recommended that he use a super soft tooth brush and stop brushing in a circular motion. Instead, he's supposed to place the brush just at the gum and use one downward motion to sweep the tooth.

My dentist and oral surgeon said much of what the other posters have mentioned, but they also added that it is easy to overbrush on the corner of your mouth that is opposite your dominant hand. I'm left handed, so my right side gets much more attention/force when I brush than other quadrants in the mouth.

Anotehr cause for recession is night time grinding or clenching.

I know two people who had this problem. In one it was due to genetics and overbrushing. Her brushing improved, but the problem only slowed. It did not stop.

The other is my dh. For him it very aggressive brushing with an electric brush. He stopped the electric toothbrush and developed better brushing technique and it's not a problem for him anymore. I'm the only one permitted to use the electric toothbrush.

Nighttime clenching & grinding might be a problem. I know I've done it in the past, but I'm not really sure about now, because my dh always tells me he's never heard me grind my teeth, snore (even though I have congestion problems), burp, or pass gas (even though we've been through 5 dc and 23 years together)! Dh isn't usually a subtle, protect-her-feelings type, so I'm not sure if he's really never heard me do it, or if he's fibbing to protect my feminine sensibilities. :D

All the reasons everyone has listed as well as normal aging. Yeah. As my dentist once told me, it just means you're getting old. :glare:

Yes, but I'm only 43 right now. Gum Grafting?? Makes me worry about the future. Up until 2 years ago, everything was really good, but the downhill slide has been brisk. :001_huh:

My dh has this problem. It's because he brushes too hard. Way too hard. His toothbrush always looks smashed in. His dentist told him to get an electric toothbrush that would turn off when he brushed too hard. He hasn't done it yet, but I'm going to tell him about the earlier post about someone needing surgery for it....maybe that will make it sink in?

My dh has this problem. It's because he brushes too hard. Way too hard. His toothbrush always looks smashed in. His dentist told him to get an electric toothbrush that would turn off when he brushed too hard. He hasn't done it yet' date=' but I'm going to tell him about the earlier post about someone needing surgery for it....maybe that will make it sink in?[/quote']

I love (not) dentists! Mine said the way to help receding gums (I do the nighttime clenching and grinding) was to floss gently and brush very firmly! My toothbrush looks like your dh's!

This same dentist was not concerned about the level of my receding gums. Another was horrified and wanted me to see an endodontist. SO, how do we know who to believe? My own thought is that genetics has a lot to do with this. I never had any teeth problems, not even a cavity, till stress entered my life bigtime in my 30's.

Grinding, clenching teeth. The periodontist said this was one reason I had receding gums and ordered me a bite guard to wear at night. Everyone in his office wears one to protect their teeth and gums.

I think when my kids are older teens I'll ask and see if he thinks they should wear them. Such an easy thing if it prevents damage.

• 4 weeks later...
overbrushing??

That's my problem; and it doesn't go away once you start brushing more gently - it just doesn't get any worse.

I used to scrub my teeth hard, thinking they were getting cleaner. Dentist tought me that using a soft toothbrush and brushing NO HARDER than I could holding the toothbrush with my thumb and index finger would help. It was a hard habit to break!

I don't have a cavity in my mouth but cleanings were excruciating.

I now use sensitive toothpaste (whatever's on sale) exclusively. After about 2 years of using it, I really saw a great deal of difference in the sensitivity. And now, 5 years later, cleanings are no problem and heat/cold/sweet sensitivity is greatly diminished.

Hope it helps.