Menu

Fundraisers for you child's group/team - Sell or Pay the Opt Out?

What do you do when your child's group has a fundraiser? Sometimes they are selling popcorn, cookie dough, bread dough, candles...whatever - does your child sell the items? Do you just ask how much you need to pay to get out of selling it? Do you and your SO sell the stuff at work?

I confess - I hate fundraisers. I always ask what the opt-out fee is, and I gladly pay it. If I can, I'll even pay more because I know it's important to the team or group. Dh and I work at home, so we can't exactly sell to co-workers. I'm not sending the kids door to door. Grandpa doesn't need any cookie dough and Grandma can't afford $20 candles (even though they'd both probably happily buy them).

How do these things work in your family?

I'll my pay child's part on my own. It's kinda like pimping out my child's time for money. I'm also uncomfortable with putting people in a position to say an awkward no to my child, or to buy things they don't need to avoid the awkwardness.

People ask me for money wherever I go here and it's always awkward. If I gave to everyone I'd go bankrupt, but it's always uncomfortable to say no. Always.

I sell the stuff. i don't try hard or be pushy about it. there are some things people like to buy and there are some thing I like to buy. I expect my friends to look at the booklets as I look at theirs. we all respect the "no, thank you" but still look all the same.

OTOH - my daughter sells girl scout cookies. LOTS of them. she raised last year for her troop over $1200. I could never pay that into the troop. I didn't even buy 1 box.

Robin in NJ

We actually just had our first experience with this as my oldest got her first fundraiser option through gymnastics. We were selling Tervis Tumblers and the price was actually better than what you could get at any store or online. We had my daughter knock door to door (we live in a neighborhood where this is welcome and is very low pressure to buy) and my husband took it into work. I also posted about it on my facebook account for the locals that might be interested. It worked out really well and I think that a lot of people were happy to get the cups at a discounted price. It was a win-win for us! Plus, now I think my daughter feels good knowing that she worked for the team, contributed to the effort, and played a part.

I hate fundraisers. I always ask what the opt-out fee is, and I gladly pay it. If I can, I'll even pay more because I know it's important to the team or group. Dh and I work at home, so we can't exactly sell to co-workers. I'm not sending the kids door to door. Grandpa doesn't need any cookie dough and Grandma can't afford $20 candles (even though they'd both probably happily buy them).

I don't want to buy candles, pizza, candy, or anything else to help someone else's child participate in an activity. Likewise, I don't expect them to fund my children's activities. We pay to opt out.

I have never heard of an opt out fee? :001_huh: I just figured if you don't participate, then you just send back an empty form.

We have fundraisers in AWANA to keep the registration costs down and to fund children whose families can't or won't pay. People opt out by just not doing it.

My dh will take forms to work, my dad will take the forms to work, and I pass them around neighbors that we know. But, I am in the fortunate position of choosing the fundraiser. :D I find that some people are looking forward to when we sell the value check coupon books. Krispy Creme Doughnuts is also a very good value and people love them. I only pick good values with low price options.

I opt out (except for GS cookies, which I tolerate even though I dislike the competitiveness that usually accompanies those sales). I hate being asked to buy something (I don't need or want), and I'm sure not going to put others in that situation.

The last year my older two children were in public school, they had a fundraiser in the last month or so of the school year. I sent in $50/kid and forgot about it, but my daughter was briefly sad that she wouldn't be able to earn one of the prizes. Later, I received a call from the school informing me that my children wouldn't be eligible for the limo ride to the local park because they hadn't sold anything, and (not that it mattered to ME) I asked them if they could return that $100 and let me buy one small item each from both of my kids so they wouldn't be excluded. The person on the phone didn't have an answer then, but called me the next day to tell me they'd "bend the rules" so my children could participate.

I have never heard of an opt out fee? :001_huh: I just figured if you don't participate, then you just send back an empty form.
There often isn't a specific opt-out fee, but if our 4H club (for example) is doing a fundraiser, we as a family aren't just going to let everyone raise money while we contribute nothing. That would be pretty lame on our part. We typically are asked to sell "x" amount. I pay the club directly what the profit would be for those sales.

I am in the fortunate position of choosing the fundraiser. :D I find that some people are looking forward to when we sell the value check coupon books. Krispy Creme Doughnuts is also a very good value and people love them. I only pick good values with low price options.
I honestly don't care what's being sold, or what it's priced at. The concept itself irritates me, which is why I opt out altogether.

My ds12 enjoys participating in group fundraising activities with his Boy Scout troupe, so I let him. They sell popcorn or coupon books outside of supermarkets. We do not sell for him to our friends, family, or co-workers. He has done a bit of door-to-door but not much. We usually wind up paying for the majority of any given activity.

I haven't been there done that with a child of my own yet. But I have been there done that as a child selling things.

I personally think that selling for your organization is fun and a good experience. People may say no and you may not reach your goal, but that’s real life and it's worth learning about. I feel like paying for your child to opt out is telling the child that they are "too good" to do THEIR part to help support the team. It also excludes them from a normal and necessary part of being involved in a group. I feel like Nothing in life is free and if it isn't important enough to work for then you shouldn't be doing it. If a child is asked to sell cookies, or pencils, or at my school TRASH BAGS but can't be bothered, I feel like they shouldn’t be bothered to participate in the event either. It isn't about selling the most, but it is about doing your part. If you signed up to be part of an organization that sales things to gain money, and you know that before you join (girl scouts is a good example, everyone KNOWs they sell cookies.) Then you signed up to participate in the events they host as well, even the ones that feel inconvenient to you.

I sold decorative stuff, I sold cookies, Cookie dough, popcorn, trash bags, foam hands, magazines, suckers and other candies, when I was at school. As WELL as hosted car washes, collected items from stores for auction, and worked concession stands. I would have felt like dog turd if i had reaped the benefits without doing my share of the work. I would have felt UNCOMFORTABLE to tell my friend, "Oh my mom just paid the school so I don't have to sell anything." Your kids may grow up and not have the money to just opt out of something... what will they do then?

Just my opinion.

Edited by Caterpiller

We only sell Girl Scout Cookies but not very many to our family and dd does most of the work. Nearly all of our cookies are sold in booth sales front of stores like Wal-Mart.

I don't participate in school fundraisers. I don't pay an opt-out fee either.

This will be our first year dealing with this (dance team) but I think for us, it will depend on the fundraiser. All of the profit for what we sell goes directly into DD's personal account at the studio, so I don't feel bad if we opt out. We did one for our local minor league baseball team last week. The girls danced pre-game, so we got $2 in DD's account for every game ticket we sold. It was a Monday night and most of our extended family lives out of state, so it was our family, brother and SIL, my BFF & her family. We do a fundraiser in October where we sell gift cards. People pay face-value and the girls get some sort of cut. That one I don't mind doing at all. Lots of my friends and family buy gift cards for the holidays, so it will be just as easy to buy from DD as to get them on their own. We do the cookie dough and candles too, but I may opt out of those. I don't want to keep hitting up the same people. I may just put a general post on FB that she's selling these things so if people want them they can contact me, if not they don't have to feel awkward about saying no.

I sell the stuff. i don't try hard or be pushy about it. there are some things people like to buy and there are some thing I like to buy. I expect my friends to look at the booklets as I look at theirs. we all respect the "no, thank you" but still look all the same.

OTOH - my daughter sells girl scout cookies. LOTS of them. she raised last year for her troop over $1200. I could never pay that into the troop. I didn't even buy 1 box.

Robin in NJ

How many boxes was that?

How many boxes was that?

We stopped counting at 1501 boxes. but then we got more orders and "took back" from other girls in the troop. that doesn't count the cash donations to the troop or the 300 boxes my younger daughter sold.

FYI: girls in our council earn anywhere from $.55 per box up to $.80 per box depending on the per girl average. (we made $.80)

we stand outside in terrible weather to sell the cookies. she loves it and tolerate it because she and I get to go on really cool trips and do really cool things with the money. I sit for hours while she stands at the table selling. I bring a book and electric blanket.

she has been able to multiply$3.50 and make change since she was 7.

her goal is 2000 boxes this year because at 1000 boxes you get invited to be in a photo shoot for our council and she wants her sister to attend.

I attached 2 photos - one is her in a cookie costume and one when it was so freakin' cold outside (it was too windy to use the tablecloth).

She is 11.

Robin in NJ

We stopped counting at 1501 boxes. but then we got more orders and "took back" from other girls in the troop. that doesn't count the cash donations to the troop or the 300 boxes my younger daughter sold.

FYI: girls in our council earn anywhere from $.55 per box up to $.80 per box depending on the per girl average. (we made $.80)

we stand outside in terrible weather to sell the cookies. she loves it and tolerate it because she and I get to go on really cool trips and do really cool things with the money. I sit for hours while she stands at the table selling. I bring a book and electric blanket.

she has been able to multiply$3.50 and make change since she was 7.

her goal is 2000 boxes this year because at 1000 boxes you get invited to be in a photo shoot for our council and she wants her sister to attend.

I attached 2 photos - one is her in a cookie costume and one when it was so freakin' cold outside (it was too windy to use the tablecloth).

She is 11.

Robin in NJ

Your dd looks so cute.

That is incredible! There are some troops that don't sell that many boxes.

80 cents/box is more than double of what the troops get here.

She is 11.

Robin in NJ

Great pictures! I've been there in the cold too! Where do you plug in your electric blanket? I use my dh's old Bell South coveralls....lol.

Here's one of my girls selling in the snow....

DSC03336.jpg

Your dd looks so cute.

That is incredible! There are some troops that don't sell that many boxes.

80 cents/box is more than double of what the troops get here.

thanks. she is motivated. maybe becasue she knows where every penny goes to. she helps make decisions on trips and stuff. (skiing, horseback riding, camping, just took a cave trip last week)

You are correct. entire troops (12-15 girls) here make about $400.

and we do other $$ earning activities (GS terminology). The olders will wrap gifts for tips at barnes and noble on December 23. The girls in the troop want to do a bake sale so one of the girls will need to go set it up with wal-mart.

Robin in NJ

Great pictures! I've been there in the cold too! Where do you plug in your electric blanket? I use my dh's old Bell South coveralls....lol.

Here's one of my girls selling in the snow....

DSC03336.jpg

OMG So stealing the sign idea!! nice and BIG!! the walmart actually has an outlet outside the store!! but I noticed this year they moved the soda machines out there so I might be out of luck.

didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Robin in NJ

They are all so adorable! I remember going door to door to sell magazines for our school...and being invited in for cookies and bars and chocolate milk, and it was great.

I learned I didn't like sales, but that I really liked my neighbors. :tongue_smilie:

A very serious question, though - Do you who brave the weather and do the sales dislike those of us that buy our way out? It looks like you put so much effort into it. (And it makes me feel kind of badly that I don't - not terrible, or anything, but just a little guilty)

I feel like paying for your child to opt out is telling the child that they are "better" than doing THEIR part to help support the team.
I agree IF it's a group fundraising activity, e.g. a car wash or working at an event. In that case, working together is part of the experience. On the other hand, individually selling items (or having one's parents or grandparents sell items) is a matter of raising dollars, pure and simple. How the team/group gets the money is irrelevant.
It also excludes them from a normal and necessary part of being involved in a group. I feel like Nothing in life is free and if it isn't important enough to work for then you shouldn't be doing it.
Fundraising isn't a normal and necessary part of being involved in a group. I can't think of a single group activity either I or my husband have participated in as adults that required us to raise funds.

Your kids may grow up and not have the money to just opt out of something... what will they do then?
They'll apply the genuine work ethic they've gained as contributing members of a farm family. They wouldn't learn a whole heckuvva lotta useful skills by asking my 78 year old parents if they want to buy a dozen ice cream sandwiches.

I don't have a problem with fundraising. I have issues with kids being made to sell products that bring a tiny percentage of the cost To whatever it is that they are raising money for.

I would rather give a girl scout $4 for her troop than buy a box of cookies and have the troop get 75 cents. If I made a donation to a charity and something like 82% of that cost went to admin, overhead and profit for the fundraising company, I would be mad. That is why I don't generally sell things or have my kids sell them. I am not teaching my kids that they are better than the work, I am teaching them that our money should go to the mission we support and not the companies "helping" us raise money. FWIW I work in fundraising and my objection to selling things in lieu of connecting people to mission and values runs deep. I do not do auctions, coupon books etc. Yet my organization's fundraising is growing even as donations overall have dropped.

I donate to my friend's kids stuff all the time if asked but I usually decline to make that donation in the form of a purchase.

They are all so adorabl. :tongue_smilie:

A very serious question, though - Do you who brave the weather and do the sales dislike those of us that buy our way out? It looks like you put so much effort into it. (And it makes me feel kind of badly that I don't - not terrible, or anything, but just a little guilty)

We do put in a lot of effort and no, I don't expect everyone to do the same. I do get angry when other people asssume I/my husband/other family members sold the cookies for her. we sell some only because people know we sell and ask me when she isn't around.

Even though we sell a lot, it really isn't about the $$. My girls can speak to strangers and make change and feel pride in their accomplishments. They set goals and try to achieve them. i have seen them grow through their work in Girl scouts and through the cookie sales. They know about budgeting and planning for a trip that THEY plan. The troop activites are theirs and they are in charge of planning, budgeting and making phone calls. I try not to compare my children's accomplishments with others because each family is different and each family has a different level of commitment to the organization.

I am lucky that I have a husband who is supportive of everything I choose to do becasue to sell that amount of cookies my kids and I are out every fri/sat/sun for 5 weekends.

my younger one (she's 8) feels angry that she puts the time in and all the girls "share" the benefit. her troop did a "pot" for funds. So everyone got the same trip to american girl weather you sold 12 boxes or 300. (and everyone had to put in $50). I kinda feel angry about that, too. we are not in that troop anymore.

My older one feels that if you join girl scouts, selling cookies is part of the experience and if you just want to go on cool trips and have mommy pay for them, go with your family. I guess she sees it as a package deal and the girls that don't sell just "don't get it". She understands that her mommy cannot afford the trips and activities and if you want to go you must sell cookies. Her troop also had a "shared pot" but girls in that troop sold 250 ++ each so there is a different feel.

She also can't believe that girls don't know how many cookies they sold because their parents do all the work. She wishes more girls were into the cookie selling part, but she also said they can stay home and leave the booth spots for her!!

So I guess after all that rambling, no, I don't "dislike" those that don't sell, but I do feel their children are missing out on a big part of what girl scouts is trying to develop in young girls.

Robin in NJ

This will be our first year in American Heritage Girls and at the first meeting, we were shown what we would be selling for fundraising. When I was a Girl Scout, I hated this part, because I was so incredibly shy. It did absolutely nothing for me, but make me just as shy as I am today. It's my personality and it has never changed. The same thing happened when I was in 4H. So the idea of fundraising with my daughter for the AHG group is terrifying me.

However, my daughter is nothing like me, in terms of being shy. She will talk to ANYBODY! She is so different from so many other children I see her age. She doesn't see anything physical about you, except who you are. She is extremely friendly to EVERYONE (so I've got to keep a tight reign on her, to protect her from the not-so-friendly-with-ill-intent people). So I'm going to let her run with this and see what she does. It would be hard to turn her down. She's too sweet! :001_wub:

If you left it up to me, though, I'd just purchase what I could of the items myself and call it a day. :o

I think for me, the problem I have with fundraising is that if you sell to people you know, they expect something in return from you. Unlike a stranger, whom you will probably never see again, friends and family will secretly harbor that they did this "favor" for you, so you need to stay in good graces with them, as they deem what those imaginary "rules" are.

I've had that happen on more than one situation and it's ugly. I don't want my children caught in the middle of that, when adults can't just be mature individuals. If I purchase something from someone's fundraiser, I expect nothing in return, except the items I purchased. Plain and simple. However, I found out not everything thinks like that, and so I guess I've just been burned too many times and I especially don't want my children harmed from that, too.

Anyone else have that happen to them or feel that way? :(

Not everyone has done this to me, and I can think of plenty who haven't and wouldn't, but it's the few who have ruined it for me.

I've had that happen on more than one situation and it's ugly. I don't want my children caught in the middle of that, when adults can't just be mature individuals. If I purchase something from someone's fundraiser, I expect nothing in return, except the items I purchased. Plain and simple. However, I found out not everything thinks like that, and so I guess I've just been burned too many times and I especially don't want my children harmed from that, too.

Anyone else have that happen to them or feel that way? :(

Not everyone has done this to me, and I can think of plenty who haven't and wouldn't, but it's the few who have ruined it for me.

nope, never happened to me. I buy if it is something i want. very rarely!! and I'll show you my stuff, too. you don't have to buy, I don't care.

Robin

I always pay the opt out.

Mostly this just gets me out of the hassle in general. However, most of the time the fundraiser is food. Because we are gluten free I can't buy any of whatever it is and that makes it hard to sell enough of whatever the product is because I am not going ask bunches of people to buy this stuff.

My girls can speak to strangers and make change and feel pride in their accomplishments. They set goals and try to achieve them.
Good deal!:) Because GS cookies are so popular and well-liked (by, er, others...:tongue_smilie:), selling them is rather different and avenues are more available than for, say, a choir member who has to sell figurines. (Or whatever. Just making that up.:D)

(M)y younger one (she's 8) feels angry that she puts the time in and all the girls "share" the benefit. her troop did a "pot" for funds. So everyone got the same trip to american girl weather you sold 12 boxes or 300. (and everyone had to put in $50). I kinda feel angry about that, too. we are not in that troop anymore.
Yeah, that doesn't seem right. But how should they handle it? I'm not into that sort of thing, so I don't know myself.

My older one feels that if you join girl scouts, selling cookies is part of the experience...
In the case of GS, I do think this is true. GS cookies have to be THE most well-known, widely-available fundraising product. It's a given that if you're in GS, you sell cookies. But having the opportunity to do so ~ a parent who's available, access to a wider community, etc ~ of course isn't the reality for every girl.:)

I pay the opt-out fee. And when others ask me to buy something for a fundraiser, (assuming it is something I can support) I give a $5 donation. I don't want candles, cookie dough, frozen pizza, doughnuts, wrapping paper, Tupperware, candy, popcorn, raffle tickets, etc., etc., etc.

nope, never happened to me. I buy if it is something i want. very rarely!! and I'll show you my stuff, too. you don't have to buy, I don't care.

Robin

Me too, Robin, but why doesn't everyone feel this way? I'd much rather do what your daughter does, selling cookies outside of a Wal-Mart or something, because the transaction is just that, a transaction. I hate involving people I know, because I never know who is going to be that stickler who has a secret motive, knowingly or not, that you somehow "owe" them now. :001_huh:

I have to emphasize, though, that I know many people who would NOT do this, but it's just those few...ugh.

In the case of GS, I do think this is true. GS cookies have to be THE most well-known, widely-available fundraising product. It's a given that if you're in GS, you sell cookies. But having the opportunity to do so ~ a parent who's available, access to a wider community, etc ~ of course isn't the reality for every girl.:)

if I gave you the statistics of GS cookie sales... well, they are amazing (the statistics, not necessarily the cookies)

"a parent who's available" and willing to "do the time"!!! Of course it would be easier to hand over $$, and warmer, too!!

Robin in NJ

if I gave you the statistics of GS cookie sales... well, they are amazing (the statistics, not necessarily the cookies)

"a parent who's available" and willing to "do the time"!!! Of course it would be easier to hand over $$, and warmer, too!!

Robin in NJ

so i must post this now

what can a cookie do?

robin

No-brainer for me. Opt out. I am not fond of selling things, especially school fund raising stuff. I do make an exception for the gift wrapping paper, though. I buy a lot of that for myself.

I also dislike doing those fundraisers where you wrap gifts. Normal gifts are no problem, but there's always someone who brings in something like a tricycle and doesn't understand why I might balk. That truly happened to me once. Tricycle man didn't appreciate my icy glare for some reason.

my younger one (she's 8) feels angry that she puts the time in and all the girls "share" the benefit. her troop did a "pot" for funds. So everyone got the same trip to american girl weather you sold 12 boxes or 300. (and everyone had to put in $50). I kinda feel angry about that, too. we are not in that troop anymore. Robin in NJ

This is partially understandable to me, and partially not. I think every child should have to participate in "x" number of hours of the fundraising in order to get the full benefit (or sliding scale of some sort), but a strict "payment" directly to each person can be unfair AND defeats some of the main purposes of a group fundraiser (working as a team, etc).

To clarify, a group raising funds by selling TOGETHER at set times and locations is very different from the sales that are made via friends, family, and work colleagues. Some people could sell a thousand candy bars with almost no effort, b/c dad works in a big office, while others have parents who work alone or in offices where sales are not allowed. So, fundraisers should be organized so that everyone has a chance to contribute, whether or not they can sell "independently."

We're organizing teen fundraisers for our group this year, and it will mostly be car washes and such. If the kids want, we will also do the $1 candy sales, knowing full well that some kids will sell a lot and some very little.

I hope all you Scouts realize what an advantage you have! It's almost impossible for any local group to get the coveted front-of-store selling spot around here. I think it's getting harder for scouts, too, but they have friends in high places :tongue_smilie:

I hate fundraisers. I had to sell stuff for band in high school, and I usually ended up buying most of the box of candy myself. I hate approaching people and asking them to buy stuff. And now as an adult, I get frustrated when kid after kid comes up to me at church asking me to buy whatever it is. We don't have much extra money, but I still feel like a heel for saying no--that's why I hate asking others to buy stuff. I figure they feel the same way and either buy because they feel obligated or say no but feel bad about it. A couple of times a kid has caught me in a moment of weakness (or they pull out the, "You don't have to pay now, you can pay when it comes in" card) and I've ended up with some pretty junky stuff. I'm glad they get credit, but if I'm going to support X organization, I think I'd rather give my $13 to the organization directly rather than have them get a little of it and me end up with something I can't really use.

There are some fundraisers I've seen that offer some better stuff, but I usually still can't really afford it. I don't mind the fundraisers that don't involve selling stuff (i.e., car washes) or even ones like bake sales that aren't one-on-one selling. But I just really don't like the door-to-door, hit-up-everyone-you-know fundraisers. In case that wasn't clear. :tongue_smilie:

This is partially understandable to me, and partially not. I think every child should have to participate in "x" number of hours of the fundraising in order to get the full benefit (or sliding scale of some sort), but a strict "payment" directly to each person can be unfair AND defeats some of the main purposes of a group fundraiser (working as a team, etc).

To clarify, a group raising funds by selling TOGETHER at set times and locations is very different from the sales that are made via friends, family, and work colleagues. Some people could sell a thousand candy bars with almost no effort, b/c dad works in a big office, while others have parents who work alone or in offices where sales are not allowed. So, fundraisers should be organized so that everyone has a chance to contribute, whether or not they can sell "independently."

We have no family where sales are allowed at their places of business. All scouts in our area can do booth sales. as a troop, I set up enough so each girl/parent could do one spot, but they are free to set up as many as they like on their own. that's what we do. 6 or 7 a weekend.

We're organizing teen fundraisers for our group this year, and it will mostly be car washes and such. If the kids want, we will also do the $1 candy sales, knowing full well that some kids will sell a lot and some very little.

I hope all you Scouts realize what an advantage you have! It's almost impossible for any local group to get the coveted front-of-store selling spot around here. I think it's getting harder for scouts, too, but they have friends in high places :tongue_smilie:

robin in NJ

What do you do when your child's group has a fundraiser? Sometimes they are selling popcorn, cookie dough, bread dough, candles...whatever - does your child sell the items? Do you just ask how much you need to pay to get out of selling it? Do you and your SO sell the stuff at work?

I confess - I hate fundraisers. I always ask what the opt-out fee is, and I gladly pay it. If I can, I'll even pay more because I know it's important to the team or group. Dh and I work at home, so we can't exactly sell to co-workers. I'm not sending the kids door to door. Grandpa doesn't need any cookie dough and Grandma can't afford $20 candles (even though they'd both probably happily buy them).

the Basketball organization that my children play in does Chocolate drives. I buy the whole box. they did want to have a box per child. I am in the committee and put a stop to that. it is fine for people with double incomes, we are living on my Dh's disability pension ( I am studying full time for my teaching degree). The box was $58. I told the rest of the committee that for some families it is just about a choice between buying chocolate for the fundraising drive, or buying meat for the family for 3 days. That shut them up.

I can't stand child led fundraisers. I do not want my kids soliciting people.:001_unsure: We usually end up just donating a bit ourselves or forgoing it all together. Last spring when my ds was playing soccer they wanted us to sell at least 20 dollars of raffle tickets(it was not mandatroy but highly suggested). We already payed 60 dollars for my ds to play. The coaches are all volunteer and the soccer group gets donations from local businesses. I can not figure out why they need more money. My dh just gave them the 20 dollars and called it good.

I don't want to buy candles, pizza, candy, or anything else to help someone else's child participate in an activity. Likewise, I don't expect them to fund my children's activities. We pay to opt out.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Occasionally I will give a child a modest check made out to their school or whatever organization they are fundraising for.

If my partner and I cannot afford to fund an event for our child, then that child needs to understand the financial limitations of his family and adjust his expectations accordingly.

We do not expect other individuals to finance our child's education or entertainment.

Edited by annandatje

We have no family where sales are allowed at their places of business. All scouts in our area can do booth sales. as a troop, I set up enough so each girl/parent could do one spot, but they are free to set up as many as they like on their own. that's what we do. 6 or 7 a weekend.

Robin, are you saying you sign up for booths, the ones outside of Walgreens or whatever, and THEN ALSO pitch a table outside other businesses at other times? I am confused by you saying they are free to set up as many as they like on their own. In our council, and I thought nationally, a booth is a council sponsored event and you are absolutely forbidden to put up a table at a business like Office Depot or something, regardless of whether or not the manager allows you to be there. Its tricky and very competitive to get the best spots. I hated cookie time.

Now I'm in the world of popcorn with our Cub Scout. I have to seriously stand out in 112 degree heat so my little toothless 1st grader can ask if someone wants to support scouting by purchasing an insanely overpriced bag of popcorn.

I hate the whole thing and will try to do the buy out when I can.

I don't sell for my kids at work. I don't sell for them, period. I haven't stopped them from soliciting my colleagues, though, other than to steer them to or away from specific individuals (to people whose kids I've bought from and away from people I know to be struggling financially). My colleagues know me well, and know that I'm not offended if they say no to my kid. I figure my kids are better for the effort, whatever the outcome. Life is full of rejection, and it's an important life lesson to learn how to deal with and manage that.

I don't buy from parents selling for their kids, but I never say no to a child who is out there soliciting. I think it's a good skill to learn, and I don't at all equate it with my funding another child's extracurricular; to me, it's about citizenship and contributing to productive groups within my community. Do I need Boy Scout popcorn or chocolate from the High School Band? Not really, but it's not about that to me. Nor is it about funding the basics of participation in said activity - it's more about helping a group in my community go above and beyond that basic level.

I talk to my kids about the fundraisers they participate in. My scouts feel like they really benefit (financially) from their efforts, so they pour a lot into those fundraisers. I have them schedule one day in which I'll walk the neighborhoods with them, door-to-door. We talk about salesmanship, including technique and how to read body language in determining how a sale is going (or won't go). I have had a few pushy MLM type friends, so my kids are well aware how that comes across (being a sale versus a person).

The same kids put forth very little effort when it comes to fundraisers for their sports. They don't see the same ROI on their investments, and don't always agree with how the Boards spend the funds. They'll solicit family and friends, and try to sell a token few. I have a large family and a wonderful circle of friends (we take turns buying from each other's kids). My kids can sell the minimal suggested amount and still not hit up everyone we know. They've learned the art of rotating who you ask, and again - they've learned that they'll sometimes be told 'no'.

I live in an affluent area, filled with people who sell for a living and also people who appreciate (and reward) ambition. They have the means to support a variety of fundraising efforts, and seem to share my outlook that it's more a community thing than it is funding an individual's participation in any one thing.

Over the years I've worked for and have also sat on boards for non-profits; I've logged countless hours trying to raise monies for various organizations and causes - sometimes writing grants, other times setting up events and programs. It's a big part of my life, and the kids have long been witness to it. I tend to see the good in fundraising, and actively support fundraising efforts for groups/causes I consider worthwhile.

I'm happy to have contributed to sending our local team to the little league world series :) I never once thought of it as paying for someone else's extracurricular participation. These same kids are out there picking up litter on the ballfields, helping run try-outs with the younger kids, and in general contributing positively to our small community. That's definitely worthy of my support, and I'm fortunate to be able to give it.