Menu

Public school / homeschool partnerships?

About 2 years ago, virtual academies opened their doors in MI. Now, all of a sudden, the big thing is Homeschool - Public School Partnerships. This is all very new in MI, and many of us are skeptical and distrusting. The idea is: the public school partners with a homeschool group. The members sign up as a part time public school student, or virtual academy student. Public school "counts" those homeschool students, gets money, and then shares it with the homeschool group. Homeschool group gets free non-core classes, field trips, community classes, etc. Apparently, hslda isn't opposed, so long as the parent is responsible for 51% of the education. Are these partnerships common in your area? How do they turn out? Are there any legal ramifications? (i.e., has anyone called this "fraud"? or has there been any legal problems for homeschoolers for participating in this?) I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this whole idea. It seems to be radically changing homeschooling in my state.

Last I checked (when my ds10 was in kindergarten), our school district allows homeschooled students to participate in classes, and the student is still considered homeschooled as long as 51% or more of the education takes place in the home. I enrolled my ds in kindergarten PE just for fun and to meet some families in our neighborhood. There have been a couple families we know that have taken advantage of this policy to enroll in the language immersion schools for the language part of the day only. The student does have to register as a student at the school for liability reasons, but they register as a part-time student. (I heard that the school gets half the funding or less for these students, but I do not know if that's accurate.) It's not pushed or even advertised by the district, and very few families take advantage of it, but it's nice knowing that I can send my boys to the excellent chemistry teacher at the local high school if we decide that's the way we want to outsource chemistry, for example. There's also an *excellent* choir program we might enroll the boys in when they get to high school.

I don't see anything wrong with it, and can't see how it could be considered fraud, particularly if the schools are only able to claim them as part-time students. If the children are enrolled in classes, it does incur costs for the school.

Cat

We have a local charter school through the public school district. I know you're going to get tons of folks that have very negative opinions about the whole thing, but from this newbie's point of view, it really is nice. We are enrolled at the local charter school, as are many local hs'ing friends. There are MANY perks to the local charter school...all of which are OPTIONAL, and you may pick and choose as you please. There are weekly enrichment classes, field trips, public school system curriculum provided for free, $40 to local vendors for things such as dance, karate, etc, homeschool curriculum for core courses paid for as long as there is no religious information in them, "normal" school activities such as battle of the books, science fair, spelling bees, etc. All of these things are INCREDIBLY encouraging for a mom pulling her 4th & 1st grader out of ps for no reason other than she feels she can do better at home. We are welcome to use WHATEVER curriculum we wish, even if it is religious, the school just cannot pay for it. They will pay for non-religious curriculum, even if it's not the ps standard. For example, they regularly order MUS and from Rainbow Resource. We have free use of the "resource room" for the school district (ie the place to make your homeschool class look all pretty with all the diecuts we can imagine, free lamination, etc. The one place where the school is "involved" is that we meet once a month with our resource teacher who we give work samples to (1 sample from each core subject...for the entire month LOL). The children are also required to take the state test, which if we didn't go through the charter school, they wouldn't have to do. Personally, I WANT them to take it just so I can compare how I'm doing with how their ps teachers have done with them in the past.

So, while I understand that some people don't like the idea of government involvement in their children's education, that wasn't why I pulled my girls out of ps, so I LOVE the idea of being 100% involved in my children's education, and yet still receiving some of the perks of my paid tax dollars :)

Edited by carlamom2ansnm

I have heard of alternative education programs that allow students to come to campus and take classes 2-4x a week. I haven't heard of public schools partnering with private homeschool groups.

I'm surprised HSLDA is ok with this--they are very negative about virtual charter schools that work with individual families.

My ds is doing the charter this year. I already had all his science and history curriculum for the year so we enrolled him in English, math, rosetta stone Spanish and 3 elective. Can't wait to place my order next week for aas Singapore fll and WWE. We have to report attendance weekly and he must take the first grade reading test. Seeing as how he is reading on a third to fourth grade level I don't foresee any issues.

2 of my kids participated in a parent-partnered program last year. I loved it--it was just a co-op in which I did not have to teach someone else's child. (I love teaching one on one, dislike teaching classes.)

We retained our legal homeschool status by only attending a few classes per week. So, in our state, that meant that I was still responsible for the yearly testing or evaluating. My kids would probably be tested less if they had become full time students at the co-op!

My now 7yo got to participate in a musical, take a class on SOTW 2 with projects, and take another class with art lessons related to SOTW. My oldest son took a mindstorm class along with a hands on science class.

I am sure the program would have like us to take more classes so they could get more money, but nobody ever gave me any flak for it. As far as what I did for the rest of the subjects, no one ever asked me a thing. So, not too intrusive! I did not receive any money through participating with this program. Others, full time there, did.

I have heard many people speak against these types of programs; I believe it's mainly due to the fear that once you let the government in a little, they will take a lot. So far, I have seen nothing of that sort. Seems a bit unfounded to me.

I wish our neighborhood school let DD take classes part-time. DD really enjoyed the social part of school when she was in PS-it was simply that she wasn't learning anything for the vast majority of the day. We do co-ops and extra classes, but having "fun" classes, less than a block away, that I wouldn't have to pay for or drive her to (or even necessarily stay there for) would be a Godsend. However, given that my state only just got our first virtual school for this coming fall, we'll probably get such partnerships about the time DD graduates high school!

We don't have that in NC, but we did have it in CA.

There is a private school option here, but the problem is that once you are enrolled in an accredited school here (meaning you don't have to file as a homeschoolers with the state) you are no longer allowed into several homeschooling options (like our hs scouts), so even if it were offered, we would not do it.

Dawn

One of our local high schools allows homeschooled families to enroll student in classes of their choice. The kids can't participate in any activities such as cheerleading or sports or band however. Those are required to follow ruiles of outside organizations/associations and require the student to be full time. I have a friend that did this and loved it. She had homeschooled from the beginning but when this was offered her dd asked to go for higher math and science classes.

DISREGARD EVERYTHING THAT I WROTE BELOW, UNLESS IT BE VAGUELY INTERESTING. I DID NOT READ CAREFULLY THE ORIGINAL POST, AND THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT THE VIRTUAL CHARTER SCHOOLS.

Not fraud. But not homeschooling, either. This is the modern version of what used to be called "homebound education", an option offered to the chronically-ill child. It is public school, with curriculum selected by the government schools, and with progress overseen by a public school teacher.

Although this education option is marketed as homeschooler-friendly, I'll continue to consider it a sneaky ploy by the NEA and its cronies to undermine homeschooling.

I do not oppose this choice. It is what it is, and can be an excellent choice for some families. Ideas considered wrong by the family can be explained as wrong in the privacy of the home.

Edited by Orthodox6

It's not my cup of tea (I don't know of anything like that around here either). But to each their own.

I do wish my local schools would allow homeschooled kids to do the extracurricular stuff.

I agree. I see it as just one more option in a growing menu of choices for educating our children. In many ways, I think it's nice to see either/or expand to an a la carte selection option.

In Colorado there is an enrichment program which some of the public schools offer. The homeschool student files a Notice of Intent (which we have to do anyway) and they get one day of classes every week and the school gets half the funding for each student. They are still legally considered homeschoolers.

It's been going on for more than 10 years here. Now that my son is in high school, I really appreciate the high school options for him, especially since a lot of the enrichment programs will pay for 1-2 college course each semester.

It does sound weird that the MI school would partner with a homeschool group and give them some of the funding - maybe it's the same as the incentive pay some public schools offer to their students for attendance and achievement?

The charter school/homeschool program we are doing this year sprang out of a (huge) private homeschool co-op. We did the co-op a few years ago and it wasn't run smoothly enough for us to continue with it. My impression is that the charter school version is working better, but I'll know more once my kids actually start. :)

About 2 years ago, virtual academies opened their doors in MI. Now, all of a sudden, the big thing is Homeschool - Public School Partnerships. This is all very new in MI, and many of us are skeptical and distrusting. The idea is: the public school partners with a homeschool group. The members sign up as a part time public school student, or virtual academy student. Public school "counts" those homeschool students, gets money, and then shares it with the homeschool group. Homeschool group gets free non-core classes, field trips, community classes, etc. Apparently, hslda isn't opposed, so long as the parent is responsible for 51% of the education. Are these partnerships common in your area? How do they turn out? Are there any legal ramifications? (i.e., has anyone called this "fraud"? or has there been any legal problems for homeschoolers for participating in this?) I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this whole idea. It seems to be radically changing homeschooling in my state.

I am stunned that MI hsers fell for it.

Are you a member of HSLDA? Do you KNOW for a fact that HSLDA isn't opposed?

I've never heard of such a thing. There's no way I'd participate in a "partnership" with the public school system like that.

If MI gets to count the students as public school students, then they are public school students, not homeschoolers.

We don't have that in NC, but we did have it in CA.

There is a private school option here, but the problem is that once you are enrolled in an accredited school here (meaning you don't have to file as a homeschoolers with the state) you are no longer allowed into several homeschooling options (like our hs scouts), so even if it were offered, we would not do it.

Dawn

I think you misunderstand the situation in CA.

It isn't that some groups don't allow you to participate because you enroll your dc in a "accredited school." Accreditation has nothing to do with it. It is that you either file a private school affidavit yourself or enroll with a Private School Satellite Program (PSPP), in which case you are a private homeschooler; OR you enroll your dc in a public school charter (either Internet- or campus-based), in which case your children are public school students, not homeschooled students and therefore you are NOT legally a homeschooler.

Just asked dh about this (he's a public school administrator for our county in MI.) He said that the program is used for drop-outs or expelled students. They started an initiative to be able to enroll them half time in online classes, so that they were still getting some education. They get partial funding, not full funding, for the student, and they are part-time public school students (they keep their records at the public school, they must test, etc.) He hasn't heard of it being used with homeschoolers (he does a lot of work in drop-out prevention, especially for students with disabilities, so he knows a lot about it otherwise.)

According to MI law, children participating in these programs would not be considered homeschoolers (under either exemption option.)

In MI, homeschool students already have, by law, access to non-core classes and many extracurricular activities.

Are the co-ops religious in nature? Public schools giving money to a religious organization... that isn't going to go well on one end or the other.

Edited by angela in ohio

I think you misunderstand the situation in CA.

It isn't that some groups don't allow you to participate because you enroll your dc in a "accredited school." Accreditation has nothing to do with it. It is that you either file a private school affidavit yourself or enroll with a Private School Satellite Program (PSPP), in which case you are a private homeschooler; OR you enroll your dc in a public school charter (either Internet- or campus-based), in which case your children are public school students, not homeschooled students and therefore you are NOT legally a homeschooler.

Legally, there is no such thing as "homeschooling" in CA. Students educated at home are either private school students (in a single-family school or the independent study program of a cover school) or public school students (in a virtual charter or the independent study program of a district). And since one-family private schools are treated under CA law the same as other private schools, I think this is a good thing. States that have specific regulations for "homeschools" tend to have a lot more hoops for families to jump through- standardized testing, portfolio reviews, etc.

Just asked dh about this (he's a public school administrator for our county in MI.) He said that the program is used for drop-outs or expelled students. They started an initiative to be able to enroll them half time in online classes, so that they were still getting some education. They get partial funding, not full funding, for the student, and they are part-time public school students (they keep their records at the public school, they must test, etc.) He hasn't heard of it being used with homeschoolers (he does a lot of work in drop-out prevention, especially for students with disabilities, so he knows a lot about it otherwise.)

According to MI law, children participating in these programs would not be considered homeschoolers (under either exemption option.)

In MI, homeschool students already have, by law, access to non-core classes and many extracurricular activities.

Are the co-ops religious in nature? Public schools giving money to a religious organization... that isn't going to go well on one end or the other.

The charter school co-op is secular, which I strongly prefer anyway. :)

My state requires homeschoolers to file annually with their local school district, but there is no testing or anything else. I've met enough "homeschoolers" that aren't educating their kids that I wouldn't mind annual testing. We have to do annual testing in order to do the charter school program, but it doesn't bother me. I'm still doing all of their core education at home. They're doing things like art, dance, and theater at the charter school.

There are a few "virtual school" options here as well. With those you're doing everything through the state. Drop-outs and sick kids are a target there, I think, although my school district keeps sending me info on their virtual program. That would be too much oversight for my taste, so I haven't been tempted.

We have ALE, Alternative Learning Experiences. For homeschooling, they are also called Parent Partnerships. Kids can take a great variety of fun and interesting classes with other homeschoolers, taught by public school teachers. They have lunch and recess and it is great for them socially. Parents get money to spend on (non religious) curriculum. Great perks! These programs are growing at a rapid rate in my area.

However, we are leaving all that behind this year and switching to a parent ran co-op. I can not take another month of reporting to my consultant on our learning plan. I KNOW MY CHILD BETTER THAN YOU!

What really irks me is that my state is very easy for homeschoolers. The only thing we have to do is file an intent to homeschool (name, age, and state that I am qualified to teach by virtue of my college degree or homeschool training class). Homeschoolers then take a standardized test of their choice annually, but the results do not get reported to anyone other than the parents. That's it!

Homeschoolers are allowed to take any class/es they want at the local public school and still retain homeschool status with no additional regulations.

However, if you participate in an ALE/parent partnership you are now awash in a sea of red tape. The parent has to lay out an extensive yearly learning plan for each subject with timeline goals and method of grading. This has to be approved by your teacher consultant. Then each month, we have to visit our teacher consultant with work samples to verify that we are working towards those goals, and each month we have to document our progress for each subject on-line.

This past year it became very clear to me that our parent partnership DID NOT have the best interest of my daughter's education. The principal is very public school minded ("well, that's not how it's done in public school" was a common expression of hers) and should not be leading a group of homeschoolers.

I have heard that other Parent Partnerships in our state are not as difficult as the one in our school district. A lot depends on the philosophies of the principal; however, by state law all of them require this extra red tape.

I think the bottom line is: How much more is required of me, the homeschool parent, that I would not have to do if we were not involved in this program? And, does this extra red tape sufficiently benefit my child? For example, does the oversight the teacher/consultant provides benefit us in some way or does it hinder us?

I'll answer a few questions, as this set-up seems slightly different per group, and definitely varies in different states.

I am aware of 3 hs groups so far in MI starting this. One is religious in nature (has "Christian" as part of its name. I do not know how religious beyond the name).

In my local area, we're looking at -

No mandatory standardized testing, but it will be available for free* (see below)

Part time, non core classes (keep homeschool status, but sign up as part time at the local school)

Full time virtual academy, but still homeschool status (get computer, internet connection if needed, but parent can use the full time program as they see fit. I.e., if parent wants to skip Darwinism chapter in science, they can). Student can progress as quickly or slowly as desired (can accelerate the schooling). Grades are not tracked or kept. Student does not receive a diploma from school if this option. *I think gr 6 and up, testing is mandatory with the full time option.

Full time virtual academy, public school - student is now officially a public school student. Gets all same things, except, parent must follow virtual academy program. I don't think they can accelerate under this option. However, student would receive a diploma at end of high school. Student also has option of participating in 5-yr highschool with credits counting toward an associates deg.

I read on hslda's site that they do not oversee participation in public school activities. I think as long as the student still legally is called "homeschooled", then hslda would still be an option for them. I think the full time v.a. homeschool option is iffy - I think there are still some unresolved issues here. I think we're still lacking a good solid definition of homeschooling with this option.

MI is a very relaxed state to hs in. No testing, no reporting, no registering. You just start homeschooling and your off the grid. It's typically only the families that enroll in ps, and then pull the student out to hs that have the most legal problems.

Also, this is only something that School of Choice can do.

Legally, there is no such thing as "homeschooling" in CA. Students educated at home are either private school students (in a single-family school or the independent study program of a cover school) or public school students (in a virtual charter or the independent study program of a district). And since one-family private schools are treated under CA law the same as other private schools, I think this is a good thing. States that have specific regulations for "homeschools" tend to have a lot more hoops for families to jump through- standardized testing, portfolio reviews, etc.

How does the University of California view the single family school option in terms of satisfying A-G requirements?

We have ALE, Alternative Learning Experiences. For homeschooling, they are also called Parent Partnerships. Kids can take a great variety of fun and interesting classes with other homeschoolers, taught by public school teachers. They have lunch and recess and it is great for them socially. Parents get money to spend on (non religious) curriculum. Great perks! These programs are growing at a rapid rate in my area.

However, we are leaving all that behind this year and switching to a parent ran co-op. I can not take another month of reporting to my consultant on our learning plan. I KNOW MY CHILD BETTER THAN YOU!

What really irks me is that my state is very easy for homeschoolers. The only thing we have to do is file an intent to homeschool (name, age, and state that I am qualified to teach by virtue of my college degree or homeschool training class). Homeschoolers then take a standardized test of their choice annually, but the results do not get reported to anyone other than the parents. That's it!

Homeschoolers are allowed to take any class/es they want at the local public school and still retain homeschool status with no additional regulations.

However, if you participate in an ALE/parent partnership you are now awash in a sea of red tape. The parent has to lay out an extensive yearly learning plan for each subject with timeline goals and method of grading. This has to be approved by your teacher consultant. Then each month, we have to visit our teacher consultant with work samples to verify that we are working towards those goals, and each month we have to document our progress for each subject on-line.

This past year it became very clear to me that our parent partnership DID NOT have the best interest of my daughter's education. The principal is very public school minded ("well, that's not how it's done in public school" was a common expression of hers) and should not be leading a group of homeschoolers.

I have heard that other Parent Partnerships in our state are not as difficult as the one in our school district. A lot depends on the philosophies of the principal; however, by state law all of them require this extra red tape.

I think the bottom line is: How much more is required of me, the homeschool parent, that I would not have to do if we were not involved in this program? And, does this extra red tape sufficiently benefit my child? For example, does the oversight the teacher/consultant provides benefit us in some way or does it hinder us?

Oy, we are just starting with an ALE next year!

I do not look forward to that red tape. However, my DD is 15 and an only child. We have homeschooled for the past two years. I have no friends with kids, I've involved DD in different activities and she just isn't ever around other teens enough to make friends.

The Co-ops around me are all for younger kids and/or require a statement of faith. At this point, it's either an ALE or some type of public school thing.

It isn't just socialization. She needs to be able to make friends again. She's so introverted that it won't happen unless she's spending some time with them. The one we will be with looks amazing, offers great classes that she will love. Lots of art, language, etc.

But, I am nervous for all of the hoops!

Homeschoolers in MI have access to non-core classes anyway, so it sounds like a better deal for the public school.

I'm in MI, and I haven't heard of this. None of the co-cops in our area, inlcuidng the one we are in, are involved in this.

This. If you are in MI you already have access to non-core classes, it looks like they are just finding a way to benefit in the 'count' somehow. One of our Very large high schools had a homeschooler as the drum major so apparently in MI you aren't exempt from that stuff either. I'd do more checking with your school.

How does the University of California view the single family school option in terms of satisfying A-G requirements?

Students who get a high enough score on certain standardized tests like AP and the SAT-II subject ones are exempt from the A-G requirements. Details are here. Many HS students also use CC courses to satisfy the requirements.

UC Riverside also has a special admissions program for HS students. After a year there, the student could then try to transfer to another UC branch.

Oy, we are just starting with an ALE next year!

I do not look forward to that red tape. However, my DD is 15 and an only child. We have homeschooled for the past two years. I have no friends with kids, I've involved DD in different activities and she just isn't ever around other teens enough to make friends.

The Co-ops around me are all for younger kids and/or require a statement of faith. At this point, it's either an ALE or some type of public school thing.

It isn't just socialization. She needs to be able to make friends again. She's so introverted that it won't happen unless she's spending some time with them. The one we will be with looks amazing, offers great classes that she will love. Lots of art, language, etc.

But, I am nervous for all of the hoops!

My DD has some delays - social skills/making friends being one of them. There were a couple girls she already knew that attended our ALE, and it did help her form better friendships with them, but she did not make friends with anyone new. I am really crossing my fingers that my DD makes a connection with someone at our new co-op.

I have heard other parents from the ALE lament that their kids also did not make any new friends. This is because you may only have one class per week with someone. Your DC may stay for lunch/recess, but a potential friend does not, etc. My DD took a lot of classes at the ALE, but rarely had a potential friend in more than 1 or 2 classes (hours) per week.

I hope very much that it works out well for you and your daughter!

This is true. I was just pointing out that the issue isn't people enrolling their dc in an "accredited" school.

Also, there are campus-based chater schools which enroll hsers (and chaarter schools which are day schools with students on campus) as well as Internet-based charter schools.

My DD has some delays - social skills/making friends being one of them. There were a couple girls she already knew that attended our ALE, and it did help her form better friendships with them, but she did not make friends with anyone new. I am really crossing my fingers that my DD makes a connection with someone at our new co-op.

I have heard other parents from the ALE lament that their kids also did not make any new friends. This is because you may only have one class per week with someone. Your DC may stay for lunch/recess, but a potential friend does not, etc. My DD took a lot of classes at the ALE, but rarely had a potential friend in more than 1 or 2 classes (hours) per week.

I hope very much that it works out well for you and your daughter!

Thank you for your honest feedback!

for those of you that have live in states where your homeschooled children are allowed to attend ps for a class or a day or two a week, would you say what state you live in? if dh has options for a new job somewhere, I'd love to move to a state like this! (or is it not state-wide, and only locally?) I think it sounds fantastic.

for those of you that have live in states where your homeschooled children are allowed to attend ps for a class or a day or two a week, would you say what state you live in? if dh has options for a new job somewhere, I'd love to move to a state like this! (or is it not state-wide, and only locally?) I think it sounds fantastic.

We live in Utah. Not only can my children participate in classes, they are also allowed to participate in extra-curricular activities also.

We restructured our PPP (in which families can enroll their children under the ALE laws and have red tape or under BEL with no red tape) to require all of the younger children to be in class together at the same time. Twice per week and three hours per day. While we have less flexibility about what classes to enroll in, it has done wonders for building a vibrant community.

We are beginning our 5th year with an ALE in Washington. It has made our schooling experience MUCH better in terms of keeping my accountable (we actually get things done) and providing curricula, supplies, and classes we'd never be able to afford on our own. We plan to stick with it until the state changes the laws to the degree that it isn't worth it to us anymore because of either too much oversight or too little benefit.

Not fraud. But not homeschooling, either. This is the modern version of what used to be called "homebound education", an option offered to the chronically-ill child. It is public school, with curriculum selected by the government schools, and with progress overseen by a public school teacher.

The virtual school we attend allows us to choose our own curricula. They will purchase any secular curricula that can be purchased from a vendor that accepts purchase orders. We can use religious curricula if we buy it ourselves and report only on the non-religious portions of our learning. Much of what we use is the same as what many people here use.

I agree. I see it as just one more option in a growing menu of choices for educating our children. In many ways, I think it's nice to see either/or expand to an a la carte selection option.

:iagree:

In my state, homeschoolers have managed to PREVENT this scenario. The commonly held belief is that the schools don't do it for OUR benefit and it's a slippery slope to more regulations and oversight.

Many homeschoolers in our state feel this way, and our state's homeschool organization is pretty openly against them. Our homeschool organization even got involved at the state level while the state was working on changes in the law. It makes me mad to think that my fellow homeschoolers (yes, I consider myself a homeschooler because I pick all of our curricula and do all of the teaching myself) had a part in reducing the benefits in participating in our program. The result of their work will make this year financially more difficult for us.

We live in Washington. Homeschoolers can participate in public schools part time. There are a variety of schooling options from parent partnerships (ie. enrichment classes once a week), schools that the kids attend two days a week and do homework from home three days per week, virtual schools that provide curricula like K12 with a lot of oversight, and virtual schools that give parents flexibility to choose curricula and do the teaching with fairly limited oversight.

In my state, homeschoolers have managed to PREVENT this scenario. The commonly held belief is that the schools don't do it for OUR benefit and it's a slippery slope to more regulations and oversight.

But who supposedly receives more regulations and oversight? It certainly isn't those who choose to homeschool. There has not been a single legal challenge in any state in terms of trying to force strictly-homeschool families into an ALE or charter school program by removing the right to homeschool. I hear a lot of hyperventilating from homeschoolers about this supposed possibility, but these programs have been around a long time without any such thing happening. If anything, I think it REDUCES the possibility of homeschoolers being pursued by the state, because there are a lot fewer people operating totally outside the boundaries of the public education process.

Our ALE program has enabled me to homeschool (or school-at-home or whatever term I'm supposed to use to describe my efforts) my children because I can drop my kids off - supervision free - one to two full days a week for fabulous classes while I work.

We have loved it. I spend three hours at the start of the school year doing my learning plan, and about one hour a month on the reporting requirements. I meet with our consultant once a quarter, usually for 1/2 or less, often with a few other parents/kids. I understand it's not for everyone, but I resent that those who supposedly stand for educational choice wish to limit it for others besides themselves.