Menu

What is your 7th grader doing for math?

are you looking for pre-algebra, or pre-pre-algebra?

Mostly I wanted a survey of what seventh graders are doing. My situation is much more complicated.

My son, who I thought was behind in math, turns out only to be missing a few third grade skills. Otherwise he's all over the board: he can plot functions, can't do long division. He can solve linear equations, but doesn't know how to calculate a percentage. This is because the last traditional math book he used was a fourth grade book. Then he stopped homeschooling, but read the entire Life of Fred series in his free time. He picked up a lot, considering he did none of the exercises!

I am pretty sure we're going to start homeschooling again in fall. I've got him in a review worktext that briefly teaches then drills all of the skills he hasn't remembered and practiced (or possibly never learned in the first place). He's matured a lot this past year in school, even though he didn't do any math, and he's suddenly capable of breezing through a workbook. So he's going to be done with Math Skills 6 before autumn.

I like these bookstore review workbooks like Spectrum and Math Skills and whatnot precisely because they will briefly remind my kid of something they've "picked up in the ethers" and then practice it, and that way I know they've covered, formally, everything. It's like fill-in-the-gap insurance. If there was such a thing for algebra, I would get one of those.

Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra

He used Math-U-See for Kindergarten and BJU Math for 1st through 3rd. Switched to TT in 4th Grade with TT Math 5. Completed TT Math 6 in 5th Grade, TT Math 7 in 6th Grade, and we're sticking with it all the way through high school.

I wanted to add. TT Prealgebra contains a good deal of review in the beginning of the course. It goes through addition, subtraction, division, etc. before starting into the prealgebra topics. If he has a good grasp of basic math, he would do well in TT.

Edited by hsmamainva
Added information

My typical 7th graders use MUS alg/geo combo book as pre-alg/pre-geo. My rising 7th grader completed that last yr and will be using either Foerster alg or AoPS alg (I'm leaning toward Foerster, but I haven't made up my mind for certain.)

Based on your description, I wouldn't move on to alg until he unquestioningly nails down all of those concepts. You might want to get a cheap copy of BCM.

Mostly I wanted a survey of what seventh graders are doing. My situation is much more complicated.

My son, who I thought was behind in math, turns out only to be missing a few third grade skills. Otherwise he's all over the board: he can plot functions, can't do long division. He can solve linear equations, but doesn't know how to calculate a percentage. This is because the last traditional math book he used was a fourth grade book. Then he stopped homeschooling, but read the entire Life of Fred series in his free time. He picked up a lot, considering he did none of the exercises!

I am pretty sure we're going to start homeschooling again in fall. I've got him in a review worktext that briefly teaches then drills all of the skills he hasn't remembered and practiced (or possibly never learned in the first place). He's matured a lot this past year in school, even though he didn't do any math, and he's suddenly capable of breezing through a workbook. So he's going to be done with Math Skills 6 before autumn.

I like these bookstore review workbooks like Spectrum and Math Skills and whatnot precisely because they will briefly remind my kid of something they've "picked up in the ethers" and then practice it, and that way I know they've covered, formally, everything. It's like fill-in-the-gap insurance. If there was such a thing for algebra, I would get one of those.

Lial's BCM sounds like it might fit the bill. If it turns out that he needs more in-depth instruction on a particular topic of arithmetic, you might consider adding a Math Mammoth topic workbook, which includes instruction as well as practice http://www.mathmammoth.com/blue-series.php (for example, there's one on percent for $3.50).

One of mine did Lial's Prealgebra, the other did Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1.

My dd who did Lial's started wtih BCM, but switched to Prealgebra because there was too much review for her - but she'd already done Singapore through 6 and LOF through Pre-Algebra - for your ds, with the gaps, BCM might be a good place to start. I think that most who use BCM for a review of basic math (it also includes a bit of prealgebra in the last couple chapters) are able to move on to Alg I without doing another Prealgebra course (though that is also an option if you feel more time is needed).

Lial's BCM sounds like it might fit the bill. If it turns out that he needs more in-depth instruction on a particular topic of arithmetic, you might consider adding a Math Mammoth topic workbook

We've figured out a plan for finishing arithmetic. Our plan for filling in the gaps is working better than I anticipated, and by fall I believe I will have a child with a very solid foundation with no gaps. I'm worried about what to do after that.

For 7th we used LOF Beginning algebra and parts of a 1960s Dolciani algebra. Since 7th grade will forever be known as the year of chaos and mayhem, we're finishing LOF beginning algebra for 8th, adding in some MEP.

In our situation I had left open the option for two years of algebra anyway, which is what we'll end up doing.

We've figured out a plan for finishing arithmetic. Our plan for filling in the gaps is working better than I anticipated, and by fall I believe I will have a child with a very solid foundation with no gaps. I'm worried about what to do after that.

well, how about Horizons pre-alg? They have sample pages on their website. I haven't used it (it is a new product) but it might be what you are looking for.

http://www.aophomeschooling.com/product/jmc700/

well, how about Horizons pre-alg? They have sample pages on their website. I haven't used it (it is a new product) but it might be what you are looking for.

http://www.aophomeschooling.com/product/jmc700/

I ordered Horizons Pre-Algebra to use with my DD after she finishes Singapore 5A as the S&S appeared to cover everything in Singapore 5B-6B plus some additional topics all in a single year. I liked what I saw in the Horizons book when it arrived but was a bit nervous about moving away from a "conceptual" math program.

Then I heard about Singapore's Discovering Math 1. I had frankly been intimidated by New Elementary Mathematics but DM looks very similar to Primary Mathematics.

So now the plan is to stretch Pre-Algebra out over 2 years by using both Horizons Pre-Algebra and Singapore Discovering Math 1 with the workbook.

After pre-algebra, I'll most likely outsource teaching math. I do want a traditional sequence rather than an "integrated" one because right now DH wants to send her to a B&M prep school.

My typical 7th graders use MUS alg/geo combo book as pre-alg/pre-geo. My rising 7th grader completed that last yr and will be using either Foerster alg or AoPS alg (I'm leaning toward Foerster, but I haven't made up my mind for certain.)

Based on your description, I wouldn't move on to alg until he unquestioningly nails down all of those concepts. You might want to get a cheap copy of BCM.

I was going to suggest the same thing--and I've only had my copy about a week. I'm going through it myself doing just the exercises in the margins as a gap-filler before refreshing algebra.

It's awesome! I wish I'd discovered this series long ago.

Do you like it? What did you use before? Where do you plan to go next?

I have a just finishing 7th grader and a rising 7th grader. They are both about half way through Saxon Algebra 1/2. I plan on finishing 1/2 in early fall and then moving on to Algebra 1. My goal is to try to finish Algebra I by the end of the 2011-2012 school year.

We have always used Saxon, with a smattering of Singapore Challenging Word Problems and Key to books as a supplement. I also had my sons each read the math books, Math Doesn't Suck and Kiss My Math to get a narrative explanation of the concepts.

Why didn't you like AoPS?

If you're asking me, I should clarify. I love AoPS. DD 14 has done all of their Introduction to ___ books and enjoyed each of them. The problem wasn't with AoPS, it was that I mistakenly thought it would be a good curriculum for DD 13 who is average at math. AoPS is a very challenging programme and while DD 14 thrives on that challenge, it brought DD 13 to tears. I certainly want her to be challenged, but AoPS was too much. We've found NEM to be a better balance.

Ds just finished up Jacobs Geometry (with Derek Owens) for 7th.

As to your other question, there *are* some quick-review workbooks for algebra topics. I find they usually focus on equations though and rarely spend time translating the more complex word problems *into* equations -- and since that can be the hang-up for many kids (rather than the equations themselves, which are relatively straightforward), I'm not sure what to suggest.

My seventh grader used a Brown, Dolciani book this year to do Algebra I (which he also did last year; his instructor divided the work up over two years). At home, we used extra math time to work through about half of Russian Math 6, as drill work and reinforcement. I think it's a terrific pre-algebra program and makes a good follow-up to Singapore studies.

for 7th grade we will be using CLE 600 and maybe 700, depending on how well she does. My dd hates math, but doesn't cry using CLE...WHICH IS A MIRACLE :) We also use Fred. REALLY makes her think, which she hates lol but we both so love little Fred (will be getting pre algebra w/bio).

best wishes,

pie

My middle one is using CLE 700 now. We don't stop math over the summer, but do a little bit. He should finish the first LU soon as it is just review of the 600 level. I might add in Fred, but like a previous poster, this child doesn't like to read much either....so probably just stick with CLE! We will probably go right to TT Alg next year cuz I heard from my friend that CLE 700 is tough!

My oldest used Rod and Staff's Mathematics. My second, a rising sixth grader, will be doing Lial's Introductory Algebra when she gets there, and I haven't decided what after she finishes that.

Edited by SilverMoon

Do you like it? What did you use before? Where do you plan to go next?

LOF Fractions, Decimals & Percents then Saxon Pre-Algebra starting 2nd semester and thru summer, will finish sometime in 8th grade year then move on to Algebra I.

I have a rising seventh grader. We are back tracking and going with something like Saxon for review. Dd got stuck in Chalkdust and we couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go on. I have been working and I just donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have the time to devote to sitting by her side helping every minute, along with doing everything else. I want to make sure she has solid basic skills down before going any further. Also, I need to work on my honing up my math skills. :tongue_smilie:

It turns out that Teaching Textbooks and LOF didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t prepare her well for pre-algebra (even though she did well at first). I am not recommending those programs anymore. LOL. Although every child is different, so I am sure it may also depend upon the child.

(Have you noticed that this seems to be the age when problems start surfacing? It seems to be a common thread.)

Good luck finding something that works for your son!

What is your 7th grader doing for math? Do you like it? What did you use before? Where do you plan to go next?

My second son just finished seventh grade and is midway through Lial's Introductory Algebra. I mix in the Key to Algebra books alongside the text. Previously, he went through Lial's Basic College Math after having completed the Singapore Primary Math series. This is the same route my oldest son took, at the same pace/age, and my third son is following in their footsteps. Seems to work well for us. Once my oldest completed Lial's Intro Algebra, he used Jacob's Geometry through an outside course. Again, this is the same plan I have in mind for Per, my rising 8th grader.

It turns out that Teaching Textbooks and LOF didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t prepare her well for pre-algebra (even though she did well at first). I am not recommending those programs anymore. LOL. Although every child is different, so I am sure it may also depend upon the child.

(Have you noticed that this seems to be the age when problems start surfacing? It seems to be a common thread.)

Good luck finding something that works for your son!

That's true that every child is different in using this curriculum and others. I'm convinced that this has been the reason for much of the mixed reviews TT gets. For some students, it is a lifesaver and prepares them well, but for others it just isn't a good fit. Maybe it has to do with learning styles??? Whatever the case, my dd is just sailing with TT and every year we homeschool I thank God we found it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My second son just finished seventh grade and is midway through Lial's Introductory Algebra. I mix in the Key to Algebra books alongside the text. Previously, he went through Lial's Basic College Math after having completed the Singapore Primary Math series. This is the same route my oldest son took, at the same pace/age, and my third son is following in their footsteps. Seems to work well for us. Once my oldest completed Lial's Intro Algebra, he used Jacob's Geometry through an outside course. Again, this is the same plan I have in mind for Per, my rising 8th grader.

Colleen, nice to "see" you!

I have a question... did you find that there is much overlap of skills in the Lial's Basic College Math after Singapore?

My middle son is doing Singapore and the extra books, but he is not as mathy as his brother. I don't think he will jump into algebra as quickly. My oldest lives for math. So would you say there is no overlap, some, or a great deal?

BTW, I don't think I congratulated you on the second marathon. Congrats! :D

My oldest was in ps for 7th grade and took a course that was called Algebra I, but was actually "how to use a graphing calculator."

My middle dd did the first half of Jacobs Algebra and the first half of Kinetic Books Algebra I for 7th grade.

My youngest dd did MUS Prealgebra (crash&burn) for 7th grade. She went way backwards in math ability during her time in MUS, so I ended up pulling her backwards to Math Mammoth 5A. She's going to keep working in MM 5a until she finishes it and then I'm going to try Lial's BCM with her again. If that doesn't work, then I'll keep going with MM.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I have a question... did you find that there is much overlap of skills in the Lial's Basic College Math after Singapore?

My middle son is doing Singapore and the extra books, but he is not as mathy as his brother. I don't think he will jump into algebra as quickly. My oldest lives for math. So would you say there is no overlap, some, or a great deal?

I'm not Colleen, but I just went through this. There was way too much overlap in BCM for my not-very-mathy dd after Singapore 6 (she'd also done LOF through PreAlg/Bio). I switched her to Lial's Prealgebra instead and she loved it and her confidence soared. Apparently she thought I must think she was dumb to give her a book with so much review (BCM).

Lial's Prealgebra also reviews the basics, but it introduces negative numbers right at the beginning of the book, which was not review after Singapore US, and that bit of extra challenge was just what she needed.

There's a thread here that compares the TOCs of BCM amd Prealgebra if you search for it.

I think BCM is a great book, but if the kid doesn't need as much review as it has, then Prealgebra might be a better fit. For my dd, having to work with integers all year was also a very good thing. We're going to do Lial's Introductory Algebra next year (I know one can also move right from BCM into Intro Algebra. Kids who really needed to stretch it out could do all three books).

My 7th grader will be doing MUS Pre-Algebra and LOF Pre-Algebra w/Biology next year. Ds did it as his pre-algebra combo and we were very happy with it. I have BCM but Ds tested out of all but a bit of statistics and geometry after MUS, so I don't expect I will end up using it much this time either.

Colleen, nice to "see" you!
Nice to see a familiar face! I'm not here often, and when I do stop by, there aren't many people I recognize any more.
Lial's BCM is very much a review of foundational mathematics. To that end, there's a good deal of overlap between it and the Singapory Primary series. It doesn't delve into algebraic concepts until the last portion of the text; much, if not most, of what is covered up until that point will be review for students like ours.

So why do I go in for so much review? Couple of reasons. First and foremost, I followed the advice of Jann in TX, whose experienced voice in math you've likely heard here. She's long recommended BCM and after much questioning on my part and patient explanation on hers, I trusted her direction. Second, my boys (three thus far) have finished Singapore 6B at the end of 5th grade. While they've all been capable math students, I think a solid review in 6th grade, via BCM, is more appropriate than an introduction to new concepts. Then, too, the review comes in the form of a different presentation; they're not only reviewing math concepts, but learning how to navigate and work with a formal textbook. By the time they finish that, they're ready to head into Algebra itself, no need for that Pre-Algebra "bridge".

Having said all that, I'm certainly not against Lial's Pre-Algebra. It's a solid text and can serve a purpose, particularly if a student uses BCM in 6th grade and isn't quite ready to head directly into Algebra after that.

BTW, I don't think I congratulated you on the second marathon. Congrats! :D
Thanks!:)

Nice to see a familiar face! I'm not here often, and when I do stop by, there aren't many people I recognize any more.

I know what you mean! I miss "knowing" people on the boards and I am always pleased when I see someone I remember. I can't believe how big your boys are! Kai is five! Unreal!

Thank you for the math explanation. I'll definitely look into it for Gabe.

My son just finished 7th grade. We use BCM and pre algebra from Lials. Since BCM was a lot of review, he finished it early so we covered the Pre Algebra book also. We have used many different math programs for 1-6: ABeka, Saxon, Horizon, MUS. I certainly don't recommend doing that, but I was trying to find the right fit for him. He actually enjoyed the Lial books this year, so that was a first!

We are also using TT PreAlgebra for 7th grade. We went from Saxon for 3rd grade, to MUS for 4th, then landed on TT for 5 & 6th. It made a huge difference for dd and for me as teacher, so we are sticking with it. We will continue to use TT through high school.

Blessings,

Lucinda

(some of this is from a previous post about CD math)

Just so you have the background, here's the overall sequence:

• PM-1 through PM-5 (I think ds did PM-5B in the fall of 6th grade)
  • Chalkdust Basic Math 6 (skipped chapters 6 & 7 on business applications and statistics/probability) -- started this in the middle of 6th grade and worked through part of the summer
  • PM-6 (but faster than the earlier levels of PM, using less IP, CWP & tests)
  • NEM-1 (first several chapters; none of the geometry chapters)
  • Chalkdust Pre-algebra (textbook only), selected portions

At the beginnning of ds's 7th grade year, we started with PM-6A. We finished with CD Pre-algebra, but only doing the new material in the book.

We did something like this (CD Pre-algebra, 2nd edition):

In Chapter 1 Whole Numbers, we skipped everything except "solving equations with whole numbers" and problems with variables. We did all of Chapter 2, Integers. In Chapters 3 and 4, Fractions and Decimals, we just did the problems with negative numbers and/or variables. We did all of Chapter 5, Variable Expressions and Chapter 6, First-Degree Equations. For Chapter 7, Measurement and Proportion, we did it the same as we did Chapters 3 and 4. I don't think we even got to Chapter 8, Percent! And we skipped the geometry chapter and the statistics/probability chapter because we ran out of time.

We kind of had to fly through the CD Pre-algebra text, picking out only the new stuff to do, because we didn't start it til nearly the end of ds's 7th grade year, maybe the end of April or beginning of May. And he was preparing for the admissions test in June to go to school for 8th grade. Basically, I wanted him to be ready to start algebra in the fall. It worked out fine, but I would've preferred to have worked more slowly through the CD Pre-algebra text.

HTH!

For now I plan to use Dolciani Modern School Mathematics Pre-algebra (1973) with my rising seventh grader. I think this is the same pre-algebra book I used in school (the math books I used in school were excellent). I ordered it yesterday. When I get it, I'll be able to nail down my exact plans for the year.

This summer we are finishing up Key to books in decimals and percents as well as the LOF decimals/percents book. In the fall, I am considering several pre-algebra courses (not sure which one we will go with).

I would probably like to choose one of these since they have other courses and I can stick with them all the way through high school:

-Videotext

-Chalkdust

-Teaching Textbooks

-Kinetic Books

I just saw Videotext and Teaching Textbooks at a homeschooling convention so kind of confused as to which one I like better or if either of them fit my dd's learning style.

If we decide to go with more of the traditional textbook approach then we might go with Chalkdust. I also like the Jacobs Math Human Endeavor book so we might throw that somewhere in there for a different view of math. Last, by not least, also considering Algebra A Fresh Approach in case we decide to go away from video and traditional text instruction. If we go that route, then I might use the Key to Algebra books as an intro to algebra before that course.

We will probably keep LOF in the mix no matter what math curriculum we decide to go with.

So, for 7th grade year we would either do:

-Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra

-Key to Algebra

-Chalkdust Math Prealgebra

-Videotext (just the prealgebra module) - they now have an online component that is cheaper

-Kinetic Books Prealgebra