Menu

Be warned paypal DC is useless in a dispute

If DC proves it was delivered usually you're fine, but just buying DC doesn't help if the PO loses it. Since you can buy DC & still not ship up (buy it on your computer, print a label, keep the item) I can sort of understand, but I wish once the PS scans it en route then they would stop making the seller liable!!

:grouphug::grouphug:

The po said they found my empty box which is absurd as I taped it well. PP said if the DC doesn't show it delivered to the buyer's address, the buyer wins the dispute. The DC on this says: Status: Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center. So there is proof that I indeed did mail it.

I offered the buyer a half price refund to be fair and she filed a dispute. So I am out $75 and the materials.

And no the buyer did not ask nor pay for insurance. You can be sure I will always add insurance to my items before shipping from this point on.

I need to let this go. Vent over.

Edited by Quiver0f10

The po said the found my empty box which is absurd as I taped it well. PP said if the DC doesn't show it delivered to the buyer's address, the buyer wins the dispute. The DC on this says: Status: Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center.

I offered the buyer half price refund and she filed a dispute. So I am out $75 and the materials. I am more than a litle ticked off.

And no the buyer did not ask nor pay for insurance. You can be sure I will always add insurance to my items before shipping from this point on.

I'm sorry, Quiver. There was a post a day or two ago complaining that people don't sell much on the boards anymore. This is why. Selling at item for 50% or less of new, paying shipping, dc, insurance, etc prices individual sellers out of the market when people can get free shipping from RR or amazon. Plus, there have been several recent threads with people filing disputes after waiting a short amount of time for media mail. It's frustrating.

I'm sorry, Quiver. There was a post a day or two ago complaining that people don't sell much on the boards anymore. This is why. Selling at item for 50% or less of new, paying shipping, dc, insurance, etc prices individual sellers out of the market when people can get free shipping from RR or amazon. Plus, there have been several recent threads with people filing disputes after waiting a short amount of time for media mail. It's frustrating.

Yeah. I think I am about done with it too. I do need to sell a few things but I might wait until the local HS book sale.

Q10 - I have never had SO MANY problems as I have had these last few months. Just this week I have had a seller send it slow mail and I paid for fast, a dc that showed another item delivered to CA and I am in Germany, and a seller take my $490 for my sons wedding gift and smugly acknowledge he didn't even have the item in stock, another item (with dc) LOST and seller sent another, and another seller address it wrong and I am still waiting ... I think that is all for this week.

Like I posted before, I GAVE my curricula away this year. I would rather it be gifted to someone than end up paying someone else to take it :glare:

I am sorry you had this happen.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry your sale went badly.

But why should the buyer be out the money if she never got the item? She wouldn't be out the money if she had bought from Amazon, or Lands' End, or Rainbow. Why should a private sale (especially one involving that much money) be any different? The buyer doesn't know you, and she's putting a lot of trust in you when she sends you her hard-earned dollars. For me, as a sometime-seller, that trust is important, and if something goes wrong with the sale, I want to make it right. I try to put myself in the buyer's shoes.

I assume it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer in good shape, partly because that's the standard for PP, eBay, and Amazon. When I sell, I either decide up front I'll eat the refund if the PO messes up, or I will buy insurance, depending on the value of the item (and price the item accordingly).

Yes, the profit margin isn't huge, but that's where you make the sell vs. donate decision. Selling online isn't for everyone. It's a lot of work.

This is why I stopped using paypal two days ago. Got hit with a fee and now I am out of the shipping money!! ggrrr!! No more paypal for me.

Yes, I buy insurance now for all items $40 all more. And thank goodness I started doing that. I mailed TT to someone for $90 and I bought delivery confirmation and insurance and 4 1/2 weeks later she had not received them and she started worrying about it at 2 weeks. I was able to file an insurance claim online and was pleasantly surprised to receive a check for the amount I insured the item for plus the shipping and insurance fees I had paid. I received a check from the P.O. about a week after I filed my online claim.

I've sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on these boards over the years and have never had a problem buying or selling until this year. Now, it seems like almost every transaction has some headache that goes with it. Insurance just isn't optional anymore.

Lisa

The PO does not always refund your money - eventhough, you BOUGHT insurance. I sold a hs curriculum, bought insurance from the PO and the content of the box disappeared. I went to the PO, showed them proof of shipment and insurance. Since the items were "used" they required photos of the books/curriculum sent. Furthermore, they insisted that I find similar curricula with pictures and prices to show that my insurance was not TOO high. After all I went through, I was told that I should have filed earlier. Again, I showed them the paperwork I received from the PO earlier with the date I was supposed to file my claim. Still, they refused to refund my money. I fought with the PO for almost 6 months to receive a refund. All I received from them was the media mail shipping. So, I lost $150.00 for the curriculum PLUS the books since I had to pay a refund to the buyer. What did I learn from this?????? If you don't ship with UPS - insurance does not automatically mean refund of your money.

Done with my runt for today. Just had to share this little episode to show that insurance does not always means refund!!:tongue_smilie:

Edited by momof165

Can someone explain something to me, because I am a little confused? So say the PO loses an item I shipped, but I got reimbursed b/c I had insurance. But, the buyer has no item. Do I owe them a refund with the insurance money, in which case I am still out the money? It just seems like, even with insurance, someone is still out the money, or am I missing something?

Thankfully I've been really lucky and have had no problems with selling or buying...but I'm getting nervous.

Can someone explain something to me, because I am a little confused? So say the PO loses an item I shipped, but I got reimbursed b/c I had insurance. But, the buyer has no item. Do I owe them a refund with the insurance money, in which case I am still out the money? It just seems like, even with insurance, someone is still out the money, or am I missing something?

Thankfully I've been really lucky and have had no problems with selling or buying...but I'm getting nervous.

No, you'd give the buyer back the $$ they gave you; the PO would (theoretically!) give you the $$ you lost on the books *they* lost. Everybody (except the PO) gets their $$ in the end; no one gets books.

Say it's $50. The buyer gives you the $50, and you still have the item; you're up $50. You send the item, it gets lost. The insurance kicks in, so you get $50. You give the buyer back their $50 (which they gave you), and you keep the $50 that the post office gave you. You don't have the item, but you have the PO's $50.

Q10 - I have never had SO MANY problems as I have had these last few months. Just this week I have had a seller send it slow mail and I paid for fast, a dc that showed another item delivered to CA and I am in Germany, and a seller take my $490 for my sons wedding gift and smugly acknowledge he didn't even have the item in stock, another item (with dc) LOST and seller sent another, and another seller address it wrong and I am still waiting ... I think that is all for this week.

Like I posted before, I GAVE my curricula away this year. I would rather it be gifted to someone than end up paying someone else to take it :glare:

I am sorry you had this happen.

This is where I am. I haven't had a lot of problems but the matterial that we are now using doesn't seem to sell very well and I would rather give the TM to someone than take a chance on ending up at a loss.:tongue_smilie:

I've sold things for 10 yrs and never had any issues until this year as well. The PO is opening media mail more to check for fraud (why can't they use some sort of x-ray machine!) but then it seems things get lost or pkging is beat up and items are damaged. PO claims it's not their fault because it's their "right" to inspect. OK, fine-but then pkg it back the EXACT way I had it which was perfectly secure!

I've only been selling bigger ticket items in the last few weeks because of all of this but then I use priority mail most of the time and always get DC and have gotten insurance the last 2 times for items over $75. I'm sticking with local sales when I can now.

I'm using paperbackswap.com a lot more now and have really good luck there.

I've used them for about 3yrs or so and I've only had 1 book go missing out of probably 150 bks or so. It's been worth it for me.

Oh, man, I am so sorry. I feel like with the costs of shipping and insurance these days, it doesn't pay to sell used curriculum any more. I'm either taking it to the used homeschool curriculum store, or swapping it on PBS. I agree, USPS and Paypal do not do enough to protect sellers from lost packages.

Yes, I buy insurance now for all items $40 all more. And thank goodness I started doing that. I mailed TT to someone for $90 and I bought delivery confirmation and insurance and 4 1/2 weeks later she had not received them and she started worrying about it at 2 weeks. I was able to file an insurance claim online and was pleasantly surprised to receive a check for the amount I insured the item for plus the shipping and insurance fees I had paid. I received a check from the P.O. about a week after I filed my online claim.

I've sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on these boards over the years and have never had a problem buying or selling until this year. Now, it seems like almost every transaction has some headache that goes with it. Insurance just isn't optional anymore.

Lisa

Same here! I have had three or four things over the last few months both as a buyer and a seller. I started shipping priority for items over a certain amount and will definitely be adding insurance no matter what.

I've sold things for 10 yrs and never had any issues until this year as well. The PO is opening media mail more to check for fraud (why can't they use some sort of x-ray machine!) but then it seems things get lost or pkging is beat up and items are damaged. PO claims it's not their fault because it's their "right" to inspect. OK, fine-but then pkg it back the EXACT way I had it which was perfectly secure!

I've only been selling bigger ticket items in the last few weeks because of all of this but then I use priority mail most of the time and always get DC and have gotten insurance the last 2 times for items over $75. I'm sticking with local sales when I can now.

I'm using paperbackswap.com a lot more now and have really good luck there.

I've used them for about 3yrs or so and I've only had 1 book go missing out of probably 150 bks or so. It's been worth it for me.

This is what really bugs me. I had packaged the books in an amazon box with packing peanuts and really really taped it well. There is no way it opened on itself. If the PO wants to open the packages why can't they shut them? It's becuase they want people to use the more expensive options and not use media anymore.

Edited by Quiver0f10

:grouphug:

I'm sorry your sale went badly.

But why should the buyer be out the money if she never got the item? She wouldn't be out the money if she had bought from Amazon, or Lands' End, or Rainbow. Why should a private sale (especially one involving that much money) be any different? The buyer doesn't know you, and she's putting a lot of trust in you when she sends you her hard-earned dollars. For me, as a sometime-seller, that trust is important, and if something goes wrong with the sale, I want to make it right. I try to put myself in the buyer's shoes.

I assume it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer in good shape, partly because that's the standard for PP, eBay, and Amazon. When I sell, I either decide up front I'll eat the refund if the PO messes up, or I will buy insurance, depending on the value of the item (and price the item accordingly).

Yes, the profit margin isn't huge, but that's where you make the sell vs. donate decision. Selling online isn't for everyone. It's a lot of work.

Because I have PROOF that I mailed the package and the PO lost it. I have a letter from the PO stating this. I can see if I didn't mail it or something like that. Why should I be out the money and books too? I really thought it would be fair if we split the cost as we are both out.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Because I have PROOF that I mailed the package and the PO lost it. I have a letter from the PO stating this. I can see if I didn't mail it or something like that. Why should I be out the money and books too? I really thought it would be fair if we split the cost as we are both out.

But if Amazon or Rainbow Resource sent you a package and it got destroyed or lost in the mail, you would expect them to either refund you the money or send the items again, wouldn't you? The responsibility is on the seller to make sure the items get there in the condition agreed upon. I feel for you, but ultimately it is your responsibility.

But if Amazon or Rainbow Resource sent you a package and it got destroyed or lost in the mail, you would expect them to either refund you the money or send the items again, wouldn't you? The responsibility is on the seller to make sure the items get there in the condition agreed upon. I feel for you, but ultimately it is your responsibility.

I do agree that I would expect Amazon to resend it or whatever. I just assumed between fellow HS moms it would be different, kwim? Maybe in a few days I will feel differently.

This is why I stopped selling online. I sold off thousands of dollars of barely used/ new curriculum earlier this year to a home school curriculum store for 25% of the retail. I got over $600 but it was one day of work and I was done. Sometimes, I wish I would have just sold it online to up my profits, but then I hear of these stories and I remember why I didn't. Too much work and too much risk (even if you do insure/dc/pack it well).

Tooooo many dishonest people in the world and too much shipping trouble from the Post Office and payment issues from Pay Pal.

UGGHH!! I hate that this happened to you especially when you changed your mind and re-bought it. I did the exact same thing this year but it was only for a $1 book. Whew!

I've been buying and selling like crazy these last few weeks and so far I haven't had any problems. I'm always a little nervous and did spring for insurance for some bigger things.

My thought on it is, as the buyer, I have no way of knowing how well the seller packaged the item, if they copied my address down correctly, etc. I both buy AND sell and I still think it's the seller who has to make good since the seller holds ALL the cards. The seller has to address it, package it well, purchase the correct postage, etc. I'm not saying you didn't do those things, just that you had the power. The buyer really is 100% powerless. And, if an insured package gets lost the PO deals with the seller, because they're the purchaser, not the buyer.

But I'm really sorry you got burned. :grouphug:

UGGHH!! I hate that this happened to you especially when you changed your mind and re-bought it. I did the exact same thing this year but it was only for a $1 book. Whew!

I've been buying and selling like crazy these last few weeks and so far I haven't had any problems. I'm always a little nervous and did spring for insurance for some bigger things.

My thought on it is, as the buyer, I have no way of knowing how well the seller packaged the item, if they copied my address down correctly, etc. I both buy AND sell and I still think it's the seller who has to make good since the seller holds ALL the cards. The seller has to address it, package it well, purchase the correct postage, etc. I'm not saying you didn't do those things, just that you had the power. The buyer really is 100% powerless. And, if an insured package gets lost the PO deals with the seller, because they're the purchaser, not the buyer.

But I'm really sorry you got burned. :grouphug:

Not to argue but I used a paypal shipping label with DC, which uses the information from the buyer's account.

IF I keep selling online I will definitely use insurance from this point onward.

Just a thought for those selling online. I have been both buying and selling online for about 10 years. I have never had a package that I sent lost or missing. On the other hand I have had about five purchases that never made it to me. In all but one, the cost was reimbursed to me, the buyer.

I always use priority mail. Those who are having problems might want to consider this instead of having to buy insurance. But maybe the cost would come to the same price.

Edited by kamom
10 yrs instead of 13

Just a thought for those selling online. I have been both buying and selling online for about 13 years. I have never had a package that I sent lost or missing. On the other hand I have had about five purchases that never made it to me. In all but one, the cost was reimbursed to me, the buyer.

I always use priority mail. Those who are having problems might want to consider this instead of having to buy insurance. But maybe the cost would come to the same price.

I have started doing this on items costing over a certain amount, but the other day I sold a book for $25 PPD and priority was going to be $10.95, not including DC and insurance :confused:

Thinking back I have never had a problem until this year. Maybe one or two things over the years I have been buying and selling online. And I have bought and sold tons. I have definitely noticed a change.

Edited by Quiver0f10

The PO does not always refund your money - eventhough, you BOUGHT insurance. I sold a hs curriculum, bought insurance from the PO and the content of the box disappeared. I went to the PO, showed them proof of shipment and insurance. Since the items were "used" they required photos of the books/curriculum sent. Furthermore, they insisted that I find similar curricula with pictures and prices to show that my insurance was not TOO high. After all I went through, I was told that I should have filed earlier. Again, I showed them the paperwork I received from the PO earlier with the date I was supposed to file my claim. Still, they refused to refund my money. I fought with the PO for almost 6 months to receive a refund. All I received from them was the media mail shipping. So, I lost $150.00 for the curriculum PLUS the books since I had to pay a refund to the buyer. What did I learn from this?????? If you don't ship with UPS - insurance does not automatically mean refund of your money.

Done with my runt for today. Just had to share this little episode to show that insurance does not always means refund!!:tongue_smilie:

That's terrible. I filed online and didn't have any problems. I printed a copy of a webpage from TT showing the price and downloaded it in the space they wanted proof of purchase. I also gave a weblink for TT and it's price.

Honestly, I expected them to reject my claim and tell me I had given incorrect information, so I was just amazed when I received a check within a week.

Lisa

Well, you shouldn't be out of the money because the buyer paid you, right? So if you kept the money from the PO and the buyer's money, you'd be getting a double profit.

Lisa

I'm sorry you're out so much money, and would have thought pp had you covered. I agree with pp who said selling is pretty much not worth it now. My stuff is piling up and I wish someone nearby needed it. I'd rather give it away than go through the frustration and possible $$ lost. Buying used seems more safe than selling with pp.

The po said they found my empty box which is absurd as I taped it well. PP said if the DC doesn't show it delivered to the buyer's address, the buyer wins the dispute. The DC on this says: Status: Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center. So there is proof that I indeed did mail it.

I offered the buyer a half price refund to be fair and she filed a dispute. So I am out $75 and the materials.

Edited by Tammyla

Just a thought for those selling online. I have been both buying and selling online for about 13 years. I have never had a package that I sent lost or missing. On the other hand I have had about five purchases that never made it to me. In all but one, the cost was reimbursed to me, the buyer.

The problem is priority mail is often going to up my shipping costs from around $3 to $10. Add insurance on top of that, and I'd rather give the item to a friend. Buyers aren't going to want to pay that much additional in shipping and insurance (which I understand), but it would really lower my profit so much, I feel like I'm being ripped off.

Lisa

I have started doing this on items costing over a certain amount, but the other day I sold a book for $25 PPD and priority was going to be $10.95, not including DC and insurance :confused:

Thinking back I have never had a problem until this year. Maybe one or two things over the years I have been buying and selling online. And I have bought and sold tons. I have definitely noticed a change.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. I did a similar deal this week and thought it was worth it. My other option was giving the books to friends, trying to sell them for about a dollar each at a lawn sale, or donating them. Used books just don't bring much profit. I would rather have 12.00 left to put toward my next purchase.

BTW, one book shouldn't take 10.00 to send priority. Wouldn't it fit into a 4.95 Priority envelope? The books I sold for 25.00 plus $4 shiiping, total 29.00 didn't fit into an envelope, so I had to pay more. If it's one book I often use the priority envelopes. IMO I don't think you have to use insurance with priority. I never had one lost.

Also, you can order priority packaging free online. They will bring it right to your door. So that saves you the cost of packaging and the trip to the post office. I have a whole stash on hand. You don't have to weigh anything to get your total, just pick the right priority package size, print it off, tape it on and take it to the mail box. If I have a large box, I put it in a plastic bag and hang it over the mailbox flag.

I never had a package I sent lost or unaccounted for.:tongue_smilie: Hope I don't eat my words this week. I just shipped out more.

I do agree that I would expect Amazon to resend it or whatever. I just assumed between fellow HS moms it would be different, kwim? Maybe in a few days I will feel differently.

Do you really think it would be fair for the buyer to eat half the cost of something they purchased, but never received? What if you sold a nice glass punchbowl to your next door neighbor for $50, but accidentally dropped it on their front porch while delivering it? Would you expect them to contribute $25 toward the pile of glass on their porch?

Regardless of how an item is delivered, it's ultimately the seller's responsibility to get it to them or refund their money if it doesn't get to them in the condition and/or timeframe that is advertised. Even if the buyer pays for insurance on the shipment, it's still the seller that has to deal with the shipping agent on a claim. If the insurance doesn't pay for some reason, the seller still owes the buyer the item or their money. This usually means a doubling of the loss since you have to give back the money and are also without the merchandise.

This is really quite simple. I don't understand how people who sell stuff can twist this around so much. Does it stink sometimes? It most certainly does. Do people claim to have not received something when they really did? Yes, they most certainly do. Do buyers claim something was damaged in shipping when it really wasn't? Oh yes they do. However, that's all part of the risk one takes on when doing transactions that aren't face-to-face.

:grouphug: Jean, I'm sorry that happened to you. I know I've purchased from you before a few times and never had an issue.

I would like to know if the PO has a lost depository? Where do all these lost books go? Has anyone looked into this larger issue?

I would like to know if the PO has a lost depository? Where do all these lost books go? Has anyone looked into this larger issue?

Yes! I'd like to see this....it must be fascinating to see the variety of lost items. I rec'd an empty envelope once that was supposed to have 3 cloth diapers-that must have made someone scratch their head :001_huh: Never did get the diapers.... I bet it's like the airline luggage stores-they keep the stuff for so long and then sell it. :glare:

I had a similar issue a few months back when I sold a Sonlight Core. The buyer said that she had only received half of the core. It seems like the box was opened during delivery somehow. I offered her half of her money back, which means I was out $80. I learned my lesson and will no longer ship without insurance :(

:grouphug: Jean, I'm sorry that happened to you. I know I've purchased from you before a few times and never had an issue.

I was told that they have a few large facilities. The lady basically told me to not hold my breath that they will ever find the materials LOL.

Do you really think it would be fair for the buyer to eat half the cost of something they purchased, but never received? What if you sold a nice glass punchbowl to your next door neighbor for $50, but accidentally dropped it on their front porch while delivering it? Would you expect them to contribute $25 toward the pile of glass on their porch?

Regardless of how an item is delivered, it's ultimately the seller's responsibility to get it to them or refund their money if it doesn't get to them in the condition and/or timeframe that is advertised. Even if the buyer pays for insurance on the shipment, it's still the seller that has to deal with the shipping agent on a claim. If the insurance doesn't pay for some reason, the seller still owes the buyer the item or their money. This usually means a doubling of the loss since you have to give back the money and are also without the merchandise.

This is really quite simple. I don't understand how people who sell stuff can twist this around so much. Does it stink sometimes? It most certainly does. Do people claim to have not received something when they really did? Yes, they most certainly do. Do buyers claim something was damaged in shipping when it really wasn't? Oh yes they do. However, that's all part of the risk one takes on when doing transactions that aren't face-to-face.

I never twisted anything. I said I thought it would be fair to split the cost and that is my opinion. You don't agree with me. Fine.

I came here to vent and to warn people who think that when they purchase DC when shipping with paypal, that they will have some seller protection. They don't. I also warned them to buy insurance, which I now know better to do.

Edited by Quiver0f10

This happened to me a couple of years ago EXCEPT my box was never found! I even filed a claim with the post office and with my elected officials (on the recommendation of the postal inspector). Thankfully, the buyer did graciously accept a half price refund. But still it ticked me off b/c I lost out much more that just money, curricula, and lots of sleep!

Sorry this happened to you!:grouphug:

I haven't really compared how USP prices compare to UPS prices. I will have to check into this.....I haven't had issues with people getting stuff but I have had problems with things not coming. However, in those situations, I have always been able to get my money refunded.

In your cases, the process worked like it should have. The seller made good on the transaction, whether it was by delivery of the goods or refund of the money. There was no need for you to pay for any of it when you didn't receive it.