Menu

Refrigerator in garage???

Is it okay to have a normal refrigerator in your garage as an extra? We are going to have an extra one as of tomorrow and I would love to put the small one in the garage to keep extra stuff in, but it seems like I heard somewhere that you shouldn't keep refrigerators in your garage because they wont stay cold enough. Is this true?

We have a refrigerator in our garage & use it to store sodas, milk, extra butter, etc. and have never had any problem with it's ability to keep things cold. (We live in NC so it's pretty hot here but not as hot as in the deep South- It might make a difference if you lived somewhere further South.)

Yes. At one time I had two fridges and a freezer in an oversized "laundry" (but was like a garage/storage area). I didn't want the fridge taking up space in my kitchen, it kept all the food together (including the pantry shelves), and it prevented messes in my kitchen.

The only real drawback to having a fridge in the garage in summer is that it won't be as energy efficient as it would be inside and air conditioned home. It will keep things cold. Hotlanta certainly puts ours through the wringer. I would recommend keeping it stocked with something... water bottles etc. If you keep it mainly empty, then the refrigerator will have to work even harder to maintain a constant temp. which is never too fun for your electric bill.

The only real drawback to having a fridge in the garage in summer is that it won't be as energy efficient as it would be inside and air conditioned home. It will keep things cold. Hotlanta certainly puts ours through the wringer. I would recommend keeping it stocked with something... water bottles etc. If you keep it mainly empty, then the refrigerator will have to work even harder to maintain a constant temp. which is never too fun for your electric bill.

This is the reason it would work but wouldn't. It will keep your food cold. It will probably have to work harder (use more energy) to do it. I live in SW Ohio and our garage gets very hot in the summer (late spring, too). We have a small upright freezer in the garage; it keeps our food frozen, but I'm sure it would do it more easily if it were in the house.

I've had an extra frig (and my big freezer) in the garage since I had kids.

The only problem we've found is that the texturized surface of the refrigerators tend to get rust spots. Not sure why, but it has happened with 2 different frigs, and never with the smooth surface of the freezer.

And I love my extra frig at the holidays!

Mental note to self: Do not move to this place.

Unfortunately, Hotlanta quite fairly describes our climate. There are other perks to the area though. I have no idea what a "snow shovel" is or why someone would ever need one. (Not really, I don't need it explained to me.) When we have a blizzard (TRANSLATION: 1 inch of snow, ice or various combinations on the ground) the entire region is closed down. Oh let's be fair, 1/2 inch of anything cold will close us down too.

Here is an explanation of possible problems depending on where you live.

http://www.jimrooneyonthelevel.com/2006/1209.htm

We had the problem of our frost free refrigerator/freezer freezer part NOT working in the winter.

He's a former commercial AC/power guy, and said that indoor units are NOT made to take temperature extremes in some parts of the country. There are indeed some units that are, but you wouldn't buy them at Best Buy, Lowe's, etc. off the floor. They have to be special ordered.

Edited by GVA

This is sort of complicated.

The problem pertains to just fridge/freezer combos, not fridges with no freezer. And with combos that have only one thermostat for both parts. It's also only an issue if the temperature around the freezer gets close to freezing so only at certain times of the year and only in certain climates.

What happens is that if the temperature goes down to a preset level the compressor will shut off. The level is set for the fridge, not the freezer so while it's cold enough in the fridge compartment because the outside temp is low it's not cold enough in the freezer, which needs to keep things below freezing, so it will start to defrost. If the freezer has a separate thermostat there's no problem because it will only shut off the compressor at a much lower temperature.

This is mostly a problem in cheaper models because they tend to be the ones to use only one thermostat. I'm not sure how you'd check what kind you have but maybe get the model number and then call up the company to ask. In any case, you haven't ruined the fridge, maybe just the freezer contents, and once it warms up your freezer section will work again.

Thank you Google! :D

We had a spare fridge in the garage for years and it worked well in hot weather. We did have a problem one winter. Dh thinks it's because the garage got too cold so the fridge stopped cooling, which allowed the inside of the fridge to warm up. We're in GA so the garage only got super cold that one year. We've since gotten rid of the spare fridge as we found we didn't use it as much as we thought we would.