Menu

Every time we fill out new patient forms, they ask for the social security number. I leave it blank. I give them mine, since I'm financially responsible and I understand they need it to run a credit check. But they don't need the kids' numbers for any reason. Heck, it's not even legal to use a SSN as an insurance ID any more because of identity theft. So why would I give my kids' numbers to anyone who doesn't need them? My kids have never been refused service.

If you want the doctors office to file your insurnace, you will be required to provide your SSN. The insurance company will not pay the dr. without it. Sorry.

Could you give some more information on this? In our area, that isn't true, but do you have information that confirms what you said for other areas/situations? I thought it only mattered if there was Medicare or Medicaid coverage or if there were coordination of benefits issues.

We never give any of our SSNs out to medical offices. I've had some secretaries do a double take on forms or question it, but ultimately no one has refused us and we've never had any issues with them filing our claims.

don't need it?

You're free to do or not do as you please. I just don't have any false sense of security due to not giving out info. It can be had.

No false sense of security here. But we still don't give out our numbers to medical offices. We had one major issue with possible identity theft because of a hospital billing system breach of security.

Do I feel like I'm 100% safe because I don't give out my number? No. But I take the precautions that I can. I'm not going to leave my wi-fi unsecured. I don't let waiters walk off with my credit card. And there are still other ways for identity theft to occur even though we take these and other precautions, but I don't see a problem with taking these precautions anyway. And I don't judge or people that choose to do so either. Maybe I misjudged your tone? :001_smile:

No one suggested that protecting a SSN was above getting good eye care, and the people that said they had to make the choice, gave the number.

Your medical records are stored with insurance companies and most state and federal agencies by your social security number. So if you are submitting bills to insurance, yes should give them your soc #. (This is one of the ways doctors track drug seakers, BTW.)

We personally do not have dental or eye insurance so those providers do not need our social security numbers. I make up fake ones for that kind of stuff. DH has no problem confronting the office staff and just telling them they can't have it. I'm sneakier. I do fake numbers.

It used to be that everything for children was only tracked under their parents social security numbers but there is a movement in medicine to get everyone's medical records consolidated under their own numbers to make tracking their medical records easier.

It makes it much easier for healthcare providers if they can pop in a number and get the whole health life history of that patient.

Medical professionals tell everyone that breaches of confidentiality are incredibly rare but it has been our experience that the opposite is probably more true. And it takes at least 2 years for the governmental agency overseeing privacy rights issues to step in and take care of it. Ask me how I know that and I can regale you with a tale of litigation that would curl your hair. lol

But there are a lot of medical professionals out there who feel utterly entititled to your personal information. :glare:

Your medical records are stored with insurance companies and most state and federal agencies by your social security number. So if you are submitting bills to insurance, yes should give them your soc #

This is simply not true. You do not have to provide your SSN to the physicians office if you have private insurance. You do not have to provide this information! Insurance companies can not use your SSN as an account number.

It used to be that everything for children was only tracked under their parents social security numbers but there is a movement in medicine to get everyone's medical records consolidated under their own numbers to make tracking their medical records easier.

It makes it much easier for healthcare providers if they can pop in a number and get the whole health life history of that patient.

Yes, they can pop in a number, but that number is the patient ID number, not the SSN. These programs also have the ability to search by name & birth date, which is as it should be.

I am willing to provide our confidential information to those who can produce in writing a privacy policy and standards for disposing of confidential information. Additionally, I ask the requestor if they do criminal background checks before hiring all personnel, including temps.

I am always told "Oh, the ss# isn't really necessary." :tongue_smilie:

Okay here's what I do: I exchange the 2 middle #'s for 00. I read an article on MSNBC that said no one has a SS# with double 0 as the middle two #'s. Haven't had a problem yet. I DO NOT give out my or my childrens SS# without an excellent reason, and medical procedures are not one of them. They can have DH's as the primary insured, otherwise they can stuff it. :D.

I think ours is a bit different, because we're military, everything is linked to my dh's SSN. We have to have it, and give it out, that is our Policy number and ID number. If we don't give that out we don't get service period.

Yes, the military is an entirely different ball game. The OP was asking about traditional , private insurance, which works differently.

Please give my thanks to your dh for serving our country. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Okay here's what I do: I exchange the 2 middle #'s for 00.

I am curious why you would put a false number rather than leave the line blank.

I DO NOT give out my or my childrens SS# without an excellent reason, and medical procedures are not one of them.

:iagree:

All of my dds doctors have requested it on the paperwork but I've always left it off. They've never questioned me about it or asked for it later. Maybe we've just been lucky?

This is our experience as well. It's not luck, though. It's the law.

:iagree: and :iagree:

Leave it off. And if they try to refuse service, remind them that it is against the law to ask for it, and would they like your attorney to be the one to come point that out to them?!

I have never been asked for my kids SS# (or my Dh's or mine for that matter) when at the doctor or hospital. We each have an insurance card with name, policy and group #'s on it. IF I were asked, I would leave it blank for the simple fact that they do not need the info. Our ins carrier has DH's SS# if/when it is needed.

I am always asked, but I leave it blank on the forms. I do give my own driver's license number, since what they are looking for is a way to track me down and send me to collections if I don't pay...a license number is enough to do this. Only once or twice has an office person tried to get more than that- and I play dumb...I don't know his number, I don't know where it is...they don't usually want to deal with it further than that. I don't like handing out SS#'s because of the very high risk of the office not handling the info properly, i.d theft etc.

Guest jab300

The dr office does not need your kid's ss# to file the insurance. However, when you originally sign up for the insurance you do provide that to the insurance company. That is why, if you leave it blank at the dr's it won't matter. On a side notee, the other day I called the cable company for help with a problem and the woman asked me to verify my identity by telling her my ss#. Let's just say after hearing my rant she probably went home with a headache lol.

I always leave it blank, never had a problem and never been asked. One time dh asked and they laughed and said it was a generic form they used that just had that on there and not to worry about filling it out as they don't use ssn for anything.

Our kids are on Medicaid and I don't give out that info for them, never had an issue. They have their own patient ID number with the state. It even said when we got their new cards not to give out their ssn for anything as it wasn't needed.

Only once have I ever had any experience with collections using an ssn to verify identity and that was to confirm that dh was not the person they were looking for (they asked me to tell them my dh's, I told them absolutely not that they could tell me the one that was on file and I would confirm or deny it to be dh, the thing that was scary is they did that w/o having any idea who I was and what I might do with that info).

The more your or your family member's ssn is floating out there, the more likely it is for that number to fall into the wrong hands and be used for identity theft. That's why the SSA tells you to never, ever give that number to anyone unless you absolutely have too, question the reason why to anyone who demands/requests it and to find alternatives (i.e. patient id number, etc).

The dr office does not need your kid's ss# to file the insurance. However, when you originally sign up for the insurance you do provide that to the insurance company. That is why, if you leave it blank at the dr's it won't matter. On a side notee, the other day I called the cable company for help with a problem and the woman asked me to verify my identity by telling her my ss#. Let's just say after hearing my rant she probably went home with a headache lol.

The library wanted ours for library cards! Yea they went home with a headache that day too. And we went home with library cards and new respect for county attorneys that respond to irate tax payers in gov buildings.:D

I had a dermatologist recently refuse to make an appt without SS#. I said fine, you are not the only derm in town! We found another one, no problem. I just took DD to the the eye Dr. The form asked for her last 4 digits. I left it blank and had no problem. I do not, will not give this info out. They don't need it.

If you want the doctors office to file your insurnace, you will be required to provide your SSN. The insurance company will not pay the dr. without it. Sorry.

Well, my medical insurer does not have my childrens' SSN, so obviously giving SSNs to the Doctor's office won't help them collect from the insurance company.

I think the only people who need SSNs are financial institutions and employers. People who collect tax and pay it on one's behalf. Insurance companies and doctors are not supposed to use SSNs as identifiers.

Every time we fill out new patient forms, they ask for the social security number. I leave it blank. I give them mine, since I'm financially responsible and I understand they need it to run a credit check.

Why does a doctor's office need to run a credit check? And why would you give your ssn to someone just because you're financially responsible for something?

Would you give your ssn to a Karate Studio (for example) because you are financially responsible for the classes you sign up for? I sure wouldn't.

Weird--I've never been asked for my kids' SSNs. I'll give out my own or DH's if necessary. Honestly, there are enough medical facilities in my locale that I would go elsewhere if they pressed me for the info.

This is simply not true. You do not have to provide your SSN to the physicians office if you have private insurance. You do not have to provide this information! Insurance companies can not use your SSN as an account number.

Yes, they can pop in a number, but that number is the patient ID number, not the SSN. These programs also have the ability to search by name & birth date, which is as it should be.

Insurance companies are now required to assign patient identification numbers to patients, that is true. But your official medical records are a whole other ball of wax in the US. People change insurance COMPANIES all the time but your medical record is linked to your SS number. As we move more and more towards centralizing medical records, this will continue to become more of an issue for younger people. Currently, our older population is going through this because Medicare is slowly forcing it along. Within 20-30 years, your emergency room doctor in Florida will be able to pull up your medical records in your hometown in Alaska and find out your drug allergies, how many times you've birth, etc. etc. The government is not going to issue TWO number to all people. It stays with your social security number.

If you walked into our local hospital right now, you could use a fake SS number - the patient biller working there at night has no way to verfiy that 123-45-6789 is fake. Within a few years, any hospital that takes federal funding will be required to do check every single person for a valid SS #. Many of the larger hospitals in the larger cities already do this or even use fingerprinting.

Really?:confused:

I've never put my kids' ssn on a medical form and we've never, ever had a single problem with our claims being filed or paid.:confused:

:iagree:

Yes, the military is an entirely different ball game. The OP was asking about traditional , private insurance, which works differently.

Please give my thanks to your dh for serving our country. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Yes, the kids' SSNs are in the DEERS system, but I still don't give it out at the drs office, or anywhere else. Only dh's.

All of my dds doctors have requested it on the paperwork but I've always left it off. They've never questioned me about it or asked for it later. Maybe we've just been lucky?

:iagree: If they actually asked, I'd make one up. I know for a fact that our insurance does not need our child's ss# to process a claim, and if they did, I'd deal with the insurance directly. I absolutely will not give it out--but no one has ever said anything all the times I've left it blank.

I always leave it off. I don't mind giving mine up but I don't plan on checking my kids credit reports and such each yr to see if their identity has been stolen. Leave it blank. They will assign a number. The only place that has ever needed it was the hospital....but I never gave it to them. They found it themselves.

I worked at a health insurance company and you didn't really even *have* to use your SSN as the policy holder. We had a few people who refused to let us use their SSN as their number, so we gave them a 9-digit dummy number instead. The computer system needed a 9-digit number as the file number. It didn't HAVE to be a SSN, it just had to be exclusive to that subscriber and his/her family.

My plan has always been that if someone insisted on getting my kids' ssns, I'd tell them to assign my kids a random 9-digit number (if they say they need something to type into their system.)

Don't know if my plan would work...but that's the plan!

• 2 months later...
Guest BeautifulWorld
Insurance companies are now required to assign patient identification numbers to patients, that is true. But your official medical records are a whole other ball of wax in the US. People change insurance COMPANIES all the time but your medical record is linked to your SS number. As we move more and more towards centralizing medical records, this will continue to become more of an issue for younger people. Currently, our older population is going through this because Medicare is slowly forcing it along. Within 20-30 years, your emergency room doctor in Florida will be able to pull up your medical records in your hometown in Alaska and find out your drug allergies, how many times you've birth, etc. etc. The government is not going to issue TWO number to all people. It stays with your social security number.

If you walked into our local hospital right now, you could use a fake SS number - the patient biller working there at night has no way to verfiy that 123-45-6789 is fake. Within a few years, any hospital that takes federal funding will be required to do check every single person for a valid SS #. Many of the larger hospitals in the larger cities already do this or even use fingerprinting.

This is but one of several reasons I very rarely go to doctors and then only because I'm forced to (such as eyeglasses) which I resent. I don't want to be tracked and no one on this earth has the right to know what I've done with my body. Since this is an old thread perhaps no one will read my post but if they do, understand that I am uninterested in unsolicited opinions regarding my own choices for myself and my family.

Moving on...

Provide a single example of anything that was kept private after being promised it would be. You can’t. And there is a lot more at stake than identity theft. When Social Security numbers were first issued the American public was promised they would never be used for any purpose other than Social Security and just look at how often you’re required to give it up under threat of law or denial of services.

Until the people cease debating the merits of policy and begin upholding the fundamental principals of freedom, which includes the right to secrecy and to be left alone, we will continue the downward spiral into horrific oppression.

The day you’re forced to hand over your papers on the way to the showers is the day you’ll know it’s too late.

Maybe this is the norm now, but this really rubbed me the wrong way. I called to make an appointment for my ds to have an eye exam and VT screening the receptionist asked for my *ds's* social security number.

I am going to call back today and see if they will refuse services if I will not give this information. Am I overreacting? WWYD?

they use it for ID. It used to be standard, but since the uptick in ID theft, it hasn't been for a long time. now there are patient ID numbers.

That said - No way, no how do I give my children's SS#'s. they have my insurance card, they have my credit card, that's all they need.

My husband sells health insurance for multiple carriers. He doesn't even ASK for SSN#'s when he fills out clients paperwork. The Dr's office does NOT need a SS# to be reimbursed, only the 'member' number for their particular insurance policy.

As someone said earlier - it is entirely about them being able to find you if you try to skip out on the bill.

My insurance company sent out letters with new cards a few years ago with member numbers instead of ss numbers because of an increase in fraud. They said in the letter that by law it was not required anymore. I never give ss numbers out, just give them the card with the member number. The ins.co. has our ss numbers on file.

Totally not true. A child's SS# is not required for medical services - an adult responsible party is needed for payment of anything not covered by insurance (or if there is no insurance), and even then, if payment is made at time of service, even the adult does not need to provide a social security number. And when there is insurance, the adult party does not have to provide a SS# - the practice simply verifies insurance with a phone call and photo ID to verify the adult is the person on the insurance card.

The only thing a child's SS# is required for is your tax filing if you claim them as a dependent on your taxes.