Menu

Would you take the job?

Today, I was sharing a ride with my priest, and we were chatting. The conversation turned around the subject that I was going to sub for his secretary in September, for 2 weeks. He was surprised and asked me if I was looking for a job. He then explained that the other secretary wanted to retire, and that it would be possible for me to bring the kids (they would have access to the catechism classes to do their school work and also access to the Wifi for their computers). My kids will be 14 and 11 by the fall. While this was all just chatting and not an official offer, he made it known that he was interested in me taking the job, and honestly, I would like the extra money. I am way over qualified for this type of job, but I can't really be picky these days. If I wanted a full time job and put the kids in school, I would be getting about 10 times that salary but I'm not putting the kids in school!

In short, he's willing to work around my current limitations (aka supervise the kids once in a while, and prepare their lunches using the church's kitchen). And I started thinking about this. Do I want the job? If I take it, I will have to 'man the desk' 4 days a week, Tue-Fri, from 9 to 2. I have to show up and be available. That means no more field trips, no more museum visits, no more short trips to other cities. Last year I took the kids to NYC for 48 hours, during the week. I don't want to do this over a weekend - too crowded everywhere. Museums are closed on Mondays, and crowded on Sat. and Sun. Is it worth it? We don't really *need* the money, we have food on the table and a roof over our heads. It would pay for educational trips. That's where our priorities are. Right now we can barely pay for those visits and field trips.

I'm just thinking aloud, like my priest was doing too. Nothing offiicial. I just need to measure the impact of my taking the job before I approach the wardens officially.

Here's what stood out of me reading your post.

You would be working to pay for the educational trips that you wouldn't be able to take because you were working.

That said, if it's something you think you would enjoy then go for it but I would think a lot about how this would impact your current lifestyle.

:grouphug:

Well, as you say, it would pay for educational trips, but then when would you have a chance to take them? As you said, weekends and Mondays wouldn't work out.... I've thought about trying to work while doing this, too, but I think it would limit my ability to do this to the fullest. It's hard, I know!

You would be working to pay for the educational trips that you wouldn't be able to take because you were working.

:grouphug:

It does look silly when you phrase it that way ;-)

But it's making me realize there's another aspect. In this 'dear' country of mine, if someone doesn't work for 7 years and more, the old age security gets deducted based on the number of years you didn't contribute because you didn't pay taxes. This year is the year that I'm getting slapped. I worked for 10 years, maxed out on those payments, and now the government wants to reduce my retirement money. So by taking this job, I also secure my retirement. I hate, hate this aspect but that's the way our taxes work. So this is another reason for taking the job. Thanks for reminding me.

OK, so how about "job sharing"? You take 2 days...it gets you and your kids out of the house and you earn a little to cover those field trips, or some of them and the other person takes 2 days.

That seems like a win-win situation. I'd like to do that.

It's hard to give others advice. We don't know HOW MUCH the extra money would be helpful.

You could still do non-museum field trips on Monday.

You could still do local museums after 2:00.

The job is year-round, so you can't make the trips over the summer.

The hours and situation(kids with you) are IDEAL.... If you want/need the extra money.

Would you be able to take vacation time to get in some longer trips?

I'll bet that once you are established there, that they would offer you some more flexibility. It's not like you would never be able to take a few weekdays off. I'll bet with your talents, you could figure out a way to do some of your work from home in your own time. Is it possible to try it out for a year and then reassess?

On the plus side, having to be in a specific spot doing schoolwork from 9 to 2 4 days a week year round guarantees that you won't have any trouble getting them to work. But it limits your flexibility to do the fun stuff hsers can do. If you're willing to brave the weekend crowds, you could get a nice balance of concentrated work time and fun time, plus a paycheck. I'd think about it seriously.

But it's making me realize there's another aspect. In this 'dear' country of mine, if someone doesn't work for 7 years and more, the old age security gets deducted based on the number of years you didn't contribute because you didn't pay taxes. This year is the year that I'm getting slapped. I worked for 10 years, maxed out on those payments, and now the government wants to reduce my retirement money. So by taking this job, I also secure my retirement. I hate, hate this aspect but that's the way our taxes work. So this is another reason for taking the job. Thanks for reminding me.

In that case, I would.

Since the extra money would help, and taking the job would secure retirement, it sounds good. A couple considerations: could you look for another job which would pay more, yet you could work even fewer hours? I understand that your dc would likely not have a classroom to do their work in, but aren't they old enough to say home for a few hours a couple days per week? Which leads me to another question: If you did take the church job and your dc stayed in the classroom to do their work, could they work in that atmosphere or would they be distracted, maybe frustrated? Just throwing out things to think about.

I had a part time job at my church when I started homeschooling my DD. I would bring my DD with me while I worked and she would work on her school assignments. Some days were great and others she hardly got any work done. There were distractions. I wasn't right there to keep her on task. If she got stuck on something she would just stop working. Sometimes she would start reading a book and not do anything else. Too many of her days were not very productive. I would get irritated with her when she didn't finish her work. We were both pretty cranky. :glare:

I ended up giving most of my hours to someone else (job sharing). I will probably only have my daughter at home with me a short time since we are not planning on homeschooling high school. I want the flexibility to go places with her, have discussions about what she is studying, and prod her along when she needs it. The quality of our day is much better now. I miss the extra money but it wasn't enough to make up for all the other factors.

Margie

If you work for one year, will that protect your retirement money for another seven years? If so, then I would take the job for a year, build up a little fund for the educational trips you want to take, and restore your retirement benefits.

If you work for one year, will that protect your retirement money for another seven years? If so, then I would take the job for a year, build up a little fund for the educational trips you want to take, and restore your retirement benefits.

If so, I like that idea.

I'll probably be working again this fall, and Social Security is one of my reasons. I still haven't worked enough to even qualify for benefits in my own name (which is crazy since I have raised one tax-payer and am raising 6 more!).

:iagree: If that would work.

It sounds like the priest wants you to work there. During this negotiation stage, I would ask for more -- either one long weekend however often you generally need it, or one or two days off each month so that you can do field trips. If you explain the situation to him, with reassurances that you do want the job, he may be even more flexible from the outset. Perhaps you can offer to come in on a Saturday or work an hour longer each day to make up the time. Perhaps he there is someone at the parish who can cover for you on those days.

I'd do that, instead of asking for more flexibility later on. That way, everyone is on the same page from the get go, and the priest won't feel you started working, and just when he depends on you, you want more.

I see this as being akin to the situation in which someone is offered a job, won't get vacation for a year, but has a one week trip planned for a couple of months later. That person should, IMO, discuss whether s/he can take that trip before they accept the job. If they will not be permitted to, then they have to decide whether to take the job or the trip.

I would take the job even without the extra days off, if the money would make a difference, even if I had to go to museums during the crowded weekends. I would take into consideration that, as with any job, if it didn't work out for me, I could quit. Similarly, if it didn't work out for the church, they could fire me.

Could you arrange maybe to have a couple of flex days a month for the trips? It sounds like a good gig to me.

Today, I was sharing a ride with my priest, and we were chatting. The conversation turned around the subject that I was going to sub for his secretary in September, for 2 weeks. He was surprised and asked me if I was looking for a job. He then explained that the other secretary wanted to retire, and that it would be possible for me to bring the kids (they would have access to the catechism classes to do their school work and also access to the Wifi for their computers). My kids will be 14 and 11 by the fall. While this was all just chatting and not an official offer, he made it known that he was interested in me taking the job, and honestly, I would like the extra money. I am way over qualified for this type of job, but I can't really be picky these days. If I wanted a full time job and put the kids in school, I would be getting about 10 times that salary but I'm not putting the kids in school!

In short, he's willing to work around my current limitations (aka supervise the kids once in a while, and prepare their lunches using the church's kitchen). And I started thinking about this. Do I want the job? If I take it, I will have to 'man the desk' 4 days a week, Tue-Fri, from 9 to 2. I have to show up and be available. That means no more field trips, no more museum visits, no more short trips to other cities. Last year I took the kids to NYC for 48 hours, during the week. I don't want to do this over a weekend - too crowded everywhere. Museums are closed on Mondays, and crowded on Sat. and Sun. Is it worth it? We don't really *need* the money, we have food on the table and a roof over our heads. It would pay for educational trips. That's where our priorities are. Right now we can barely pay for those visits and field trips.

I'm just thinking aloud, like my priest was doing too. Nothing offiicial. I just need to measure the impact of my taking the job before I approach the wardens officially.

I'd take it but only for a year. I would sock away all of the money I made and tell the kids that this is a year for them to buckle down and get way ahead in their school work. Then in a year we'd have the money to take some very nice educational trips.

But...I'm of the mindset that I can do anything for a short period of time....even unpleasant things.....so long as I know there is an end to it, and hopefully some sort of reward for putting up with it, lol. If you'd enjoy the work and it wouldn't hamper your children's education, but in fact in a year could enhance it, then yes, it's worth the short term sacrifice.

Also, you get off work at 2pm....doesn't sound like the work would be completely exhausting, and most museums around here are open until at least 5 and usually have one evening they're open much later....so you COULD still fit in trips if you wanted. I think your kids ages are kinda on the brink of whether I'd be comfortable dropping them off at a museum/zoo by themselves while I went to work......it would really depend on the kids. My twins will be 15 next month and we have started letting them be on their own for several hours at a time....very safe environments like the library and museums where staff know them. Never the mall or something insane, lol. And they never go alone, must be both and stick together.

Of course, I also have dreams of being able to take long trips to places we've studied.....which aren't cheap of course, and your situation sounds perfect...work for a year and then have enough to take a couple of months and wander the world. If the kids worked diligently on their school work and got ahead then I wouldn't have the guilt of letting them slack off on some subjects while we travelled, considering the education they'd get just travelling.

Could you arrange maybe to have a couple of flex days a month for the trips? It sounds like a good gig to me.

that's what I'll have to investigate, I guess.

I'd take it but only for a year.

Also, you get off work at 2pm....doesn't sound like the work would be completely exhausting, and most museums around here are open until at least 5 and usually have one evening they're open much later....so you COULD still fit in trips if you wanted.

It would be unfair to take the job for a year, I know they're expecting someone for longer than that. It would feel like cheating them. I know it would be legal to do it, just not nice. KWIM?

As for going to museums later in the day, what is stopping me from doing that is twofold. First, traffic!!! We can only get around from 10 to 3PM, otherwise we're looking at an hour sitting in traffic. And while we have a nice public transit, it doesn't reach where we live. Second, both kids have activities in late afternoon, so we do have to be back before 4PM.

If you work for one year, will that protect your retirement money for another seven years?

Nope, it's a total of 7 years in your lifetime (well productive adulthood) without contribution.

I had a part time job at my church when I started homeschooling my DD. I would bring my DD with me while I worked and she would work on her school assignments. Some days were great and others she hardly got any work done. There were distractions.

I think the kiddos could handle it. They would be in a classroom, down the corridor from me. I'd be able to do spot checks once in a while. There's almost no one at the church during the day. I don't know what kind of distraction could there be? When people come in for the secretary (me?) they would go through a second corridor, and it's closed by a door.

Since the extra money would help, and taking the job would secure retirement, it sounds good. A couple considerations: could you look for another job which would pay more, yet you could work even fewer hours? I understand that your dc would likely not have a classroom to do their work in, but aren't they old enough to say home for a few hours a couple days per week?

I used to work for a 6 digits salary (way over secretary level!) I just can't think of a job that would allow me enough freedom in a higher bracket. As for the kids, one is old enough to stay home (and he probably would) but not the other one. She couldn't handle being left on her own for so long. On top of that, I live in a homeschooling-adverse society. It would be enough for CPS to take the kids away, if they were left alone, instead of being homeschooled by a parent.

I think I have to inquire further. Maybe the lady who's retiring would appreciate coming in a few days per month, if she knows in advance when she's needed. Of course I'd forfeit the salary for that day, that's a given. For example, I know already that there are 5 Wednesday in winter time where the kids take skiing lessons with the local homeschool coop.

There's no way for me to do the job during the weekend to catchup, because the job is mainly to man the phone or the desk for people walking in and asking questions. The office hours are set and have been the same for years.

thanks everyone for thinking through this with me.

Edited by CleoQc

It sounds like you're worried about being tied up during prime weekday hours. So the question is how much of those prime hours do you take advantage of now? If you don't really do events except on special occasions, maybe you can explain that you would love to take the job but that you may occasionally ask for a day off to do something educational with your children.

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

job now taken by me!

I can bring my kids every day.

The work day ends at 2PM.

I have 2 days off (Monday, Thursday) every week but I work Saturdays.

I can take 10 extra floating days (not paid) if a homeschool activity happens on another day or for museum visits.

I can take an extra week to go to other cities (We usually do that twice a year, for a few days like 3 days in NYC) . That's on top of 2 weeks of paid vacations.

I think I'm having the best of both worlds! I hope it works out as planned. I start September 6th, but I have 5 training days before that (every Friday for 5 weeks)

Quick update:

job now taken by me!

I can take 10 extra floating days (not paid) if a homeschool activity happens on another day or for museum visits.

I can take an extra week to go to other cities (We usually do that twice a year, for a few days like 3 days in NYC) . That's on top of 2 weeks of paid vacations.

I think I'm having the best of both worlds! I hope it works out as planned. I start September 6th, but I have 5 training days before that (every Friday for 5 weeks)

Wow! Congratulations! I hope it works out for you. I have had two different jobs where I took my kids to work with me. It was great!

Best of luck to you

:001_smile:

Sounds like a good opportunity. I would try to negotiate for some flexibility in schedule up front; there should be some wiggle room to let you shift hours on certain days so you can still do your field trips. The time to do this is before you take the job. Sounds like a good opportunity.

there should be some wiggle room to let you shift hours on certain days so you can still do your field trips.

There isn't a lot of wiggle room, because office hours need to be published, and respected. When I take my days off, there is someone who can step in and take my place. Otherwise, the office has to be opened according to the publicized schedule.

Quick update:

job now taken by me!

Cleo, this sounds perfect! I'm excited for you. Félicitations!

sounds like a great fit for you Cleo. I'm in the midst of angst over retirement issues.

I took my dd to NYC on a weekend (we arrived Friday late morning and left Sunday mid afternoon). I didn't find it terribly crowded. Maybe I was just expecting crowded so whatever we encountered was fine. Anyway, if your trip gets pushed to cover a weekend, it might still be fine.

Quick update:

job now taken by me!

YAY!

Quick update:

job now taken by me!

I was going to put down something encouraging when I saw this update.

I would take a job like this. Given the ages of your children and other factors, it is a good fit from what you've said. I have four part-time gigs in the fall, and frankly if I could roll them all into something like this, I'd do it in a heartbeat although I love what I do. Compared to what I used to make, what a do now is just a drop in the bucket, but it is family-friendly, pays for extras, and meshes with our financial goals and plans.