Menu

Singapore "ahead"?

It definitely runs ahead of most of the CA state standards by the 3rd & 4th grade levels. I haven't yet used 1B or 2A (my oldest started at 3A after doing RS B & C) so I have not checked how those compare to the state standards. But 1B gets into early multiplication, and that's definitely on the CA 2nd grade standard.

Do you think Singapore Math is truly "ahead"? I have heard it is about a half a year ahead of other programs... do you think this is true? The bottom line is, would you be comfortable w/ your second grader doing 1B/2A as his 2nd grade math course?

Yes and Yes. We started in Singapore when I pulled my kids out of PS. My dd was going into 5th grade and my other dd was going into 1st grade. My 1st grader did well, but my 5th grader on the other hand :willy_nilly: We dropped Singapore for my now 3rd grader but we are going to pick it back up. I am just going to start her in 3A for 4th grade and let her move as fast as she wants to until it starts getting to where she needs me to start teaching her again. I do not feel comfortable skipping a level because that is around when they really introduce the bar method I have heard.

Have you done a placement test?

Yes and Yes. We started in Singapore when I pulled my kids out of PS. My dd was going into 5th grade and my other dd was going into 1st grade. My 1st grader did well, but my 5th grader on the other hand :willy_nilly: We dropped Singapore for my now 3rd grader but we are going to pick it back up. I am just going to start her in 3A for 4th grade and let her move as fast as she wants to until it starts getting to where she needs me to start teaching her again. I do not feel comfortable skipping a level because that is around when they really introduce the bar method I have heard.

Have you done a placement test?

Well, I'm asking b/c it looks like this will be all we can finish this year (we are currently working on 2A) and I am wondering if I need to push him to finish 2B this summer for it to "count" as 2nd grade math. My other dc have used Singapore corresponding w/ their grade level (4A + 4B in 4th grade), but I know it is said to be ahead. This ds is a bit more "average" in his grasping of math facts... thanks for the replies -- I feel comfortable with starting 2B in 3rd grade now!

Well, I'm asking b/c it looks like this will be all we can finish this year (we are currently working on 2A) and I am wondering if I need to push him to finish 2B this summer for it to "count" as 2nd grade math. My other dc have used Singapore corresponding w/ their grade level (4A + 4B in 4th grade), but I know it is said to be ahead. This ds is a bit more "average" in his grasping of math facts... thanks for the replies -- I feel comfortable with starting 2B in 3rd grade now!

Oh I would absolutely not feel the need to push him through 2B. I would say it would count as 2nd grade math for sure especially since 1B begins multiplication!!! No worries!

It definitely runs ahead of most of the CA state standards by the 3rd & 4th grade levels. I haven't yet used 1B or 2A (my oldest started at 3A after doing RS B & C) so I have not checked how those compare to the state standards. But 1B gets into early multiplication, and that's definitely on the CA 2nd grade standard.

I don't understand this. Isn't the Standards Edition written to the California State standards for mathematics and therefore exactly "on grade level?"

Bill

I don't understand this. Isn't the Standards Edition written to the California State standards for mathematics and therefore exactly "on grade level?"

Bill

I don't believe it is ahead of California standards. I think it's right on grade level. I've checked it against what they are supposed to be teaching here in San Diego County, and it appears to track pretty much the same.

On the other hand, I do think it does some things a little more in depth than the curriculum used by some schools, even in California. I agree that in Singapore 1B, the concept of multiplication by repeated addition is introduced, but only very briefly. Right before I pulled my dd out, she was in 1st grade, and that was not something taught in 1st grade at the time. The school has since switched curricula, so I don't know if that has changed.

As for Singapore's statement that it is ahead, it may be that it is ahead of some states' standards. It would be prudent to check one's own state standards to be sure.

For California, the stds edition is not "ahead" of CA stds.

Regardless of where it falls, I would look at the future... If you stayed one semester "behind", you'd finish 6B at the beginning of 7th grade, do pre-algebra during 7th or 8th, algebra during 8th or 9th... That sounds like a fairly normal sequence to me? So I wouldn't worry.

He may catch up somewhere along the way anyway, but if not, he's still on track to have a normal high school math sequence, isn't he? I don't think I'd be concerned about him being a semester "behind". That really isn't a big deal.

Hi,

My son is in private school in California right now (long story). Even though it's a private school, his math class uses a standard California textbook with a big "6" on it (sixth grade). He was not ahead AT ALL going into sixth grade, and had completed Right Start Levels B through E and also Singapore 3A through 5B. (He also did Life of Fred Decimals and Percents as well as Fractions, which was extremely helpful.) So I agree with the idea that perhaps Singapore is "ahead" of some states, but not California. Not to sound like an academic snob or something (okay I'm TOTALLY an academic snob), but I was really surprised by this.

The way his private school deals with differing math abilities is that even though you are in sixth grade, you might be placed in seventh or eighth grade math. My son is more of a history and Latin buff, and he didn't even place into 6th grade "enriched." But he's doing fine and he loves his math class, so I think that's really important. I never want to hear, "I hate math" or "I'm not good at math" and I haven't heard any of that.

Julie

I don't know about California standards, but it is ahead of our states standards for sure. There is also a big difference between a states standards and what actually gets done in the classroom. I help a local teacher with a 1st grade class for 1.5 years as a teen and the first grade math was no where near SM 1st grade.

I had been looking at the samples to decide on our math for next year and it doesn't look ahead at all. In fact, compared to Math Mammoth it looks behind.

I really think it's different for everyone. My son (currently in 2nd grade) was on grade level with Math Mammoth (i.e. 2A/2B) this year and would have finished 2B at the end of May and started 3 this summer had we not switched to Singapore. He is now on track to be in SM 2B this *fall* when he is technically in 3rd grade.

Several of us using SM with 3rd graders are on a similar 'track' (i.e. our kids will be in 2B/3A) during their 3rd grade years, and someone on the "3rd grade plans" thread posted a link to the Singapore page that pretty much said it was normal and expected for a kid of average math ability to be on that timeline.

DS7 is finishing up second grade and did 1B/2A this year, and, yes, I'm comfortable with it (he'll work over the summer to finish up 2A, but I think doing at least a little math over the summer is always a good idea anyway). We spent a lot of first grade on a detour into Right Start, and that slowed us down a good bit, but I think this is also just where he needs to be. What's the alternative? Pushing him ahead of what he's ready for? As a couple of people posted, Singapore's website says they consider 2B/3A to be appropriate for "average" math students in 3rd grade. My older son is finishing up 6A in 4th grade, on the other hand...that's why we homeschool, right? so we can do what's right for each kid. And then there's my 5 year old who's tearing through 1A....this is what happens when math majors and English majors reproduce :D

Hi,

My son is in private school in California right now (long story). Even though it's a private school, his math class uses a standard California textbook with a big "6" on it (sixth grade). He was not ahead AT ALL going into sixth grade, and had completed Right Start Levels B through E and also Singapore 3A through 5B. (He also did Life of Fred Decimals and Percents as well as Fractions, which was extremely helpful.) So I agree with the idea that perhaps Singapore is "ahead" of some states, but not California. Not to sound like an academic snob or something (okay I'm TOTALLY an academic snob), but I was really surprised by this.

The way his private school deals with differing math abilities is that even though you are in sixth grade, you might be placed in seventh or eighth grade math. My son is more of a history and Latin buff, and he didn't even place into 6th grade "enriched." But he's doing fine and he loves his math class, so I think that's really important. I never want to hear, "I hate math" or "I'm not good at math" and I haven't heard any of that.

Julie

Totally derailing this thread, but I wonder if there are homeschoolers that use a CA math text??? I would be interested in hearing about that.

Do you think Singapore Math is truly "ahead"? I have heard it is about a half a year ahead of other programs... do you think this is true? The bottom line is, would you be comfortable w/ your second grader doing 1B/2A as his 2nd grade math course?

Yes, I think it is ahead. A year ago I gave my son placement tests for Singapore and TT. He was using another program at the time. For Singapore he placed below grade level and for TT he placed above grade level. He was ahead of his grade level in the book he was using too.

I went with Singapore. Now we are nearing the end of the school year and he should complete 3 books this year. We went slowly through the first one because we had to get used to Singapore - especially the mental math strategies. Now we are plugging along with him completing the second book in a couple months.

Totally derailing this thread, but I wonder if there are homeschoolers that use a CA math text??? I would be interested in hearing about that.

Anyone using the Standards Edition of Primary Mathematics (Singapore) is using a program aligned with the California math standards.

Bill

Good point, Bill. I hadn't thought about that. I guess I was picturing a more textbook-ish book. :D

Our school system (the largest in California) uses a series called enVision Math. It is "workbooky" in a style that is not dissimilar to the Singapore workbooks (although they don't fully develop a whole-parts Singapore-like model).

Bill

Our school system (the largest in California) uses a series called enVision Math. It is "workbooky" in a style that is not dissimilar to the Singapore workbooks (although they don't fully develop a whole-parts Singapore-like model).

Bill

Thanks Bill! I was actually just looking at enVision Math.

Bill

So, Bill...(sorry to derail this thread!)....I'm curious what you think of enVision math? That's what our district switched to, as well...it looked rather like the flavor of the month to me. But I'd love to hear your thoughts on the program as a parent who has seen it in action.

So, Bill...(sorry to derail this thread!)....I'm curious what you think of enVision math? That's what our district switched to, as well...it looked rather like the flavor of the month to me. But I'd love to hear your thoughts on the program as a parent who has seen it in action.

So does mine I believe starting in the first grade. I would love to know more about enVision as well. They are using (at least with couple of kids in my son's class) Accelerated Math (just a name of a company). Do you know anything about that? Thanks!!!

I was afraid you would ask :D

My perspective is a little skewed because we have been doing Singapore PM Standards Edition a year ahead. So 1A/1B in kindergarten and 2A/B this year (First). So in comparison enVision has seemed relatively simple (but can't really fault it on those grounds).

On the positive side enVision does try to get children to "think" and reason. Some parents complain they don't understand it (not in the way they don't understand the alternate strange means evidently used in Everyday Math) but just because the children are given "reasoning" questions from early on, so they do need to think. That is a positive from my POV.

The program is not horrible (although I have not seen the upper grade books). But I would not take it over Primary Mathematics--not for a second. It would get a "not bad" rating from me (I'm a hard grader). Not for a second would I give up our Singapore Program for this one, but can imagine that here are worse programs out there. I would be quite surprised if enVision would be the choice of many home educators (given the great alternatives) unless they wanted to strictly follow the same program as their schools used it an eye to sending children back to PS.

Bill

My perspective is a little skewed because we have been doing Singapore PM Standards Edition a year ahead. So 1A/1B in kindergarten and 2A/B this year (First). So in comparison enVision has seemed relatively simple (but can't really fault it on those grounds).

On the positive side enVision does try to get children to "think" and reason. Some parents complain they don't understand it (not in the way they don't understand the alternate strange means evidently used in Everyday Math) but just because the children are given "reasoning" questions from early on, so they do need to think. That is a positive from my POV.

The program is not horrible (although I have not seen the upper grade books). But I would not take it over Primary Mathematics--not for a second. It would get a "not bad" rating from me (I'm a hard grader). Not for a second would I give up our Singapore Program for this one, but can imagine that here are worse programs out there. I would be quite surprised if enVision would be the choice of many home educators (given the great alternatives) unless they wanted to strictly follow the same program as their schools used it an eye to sending children back to PS.

Bill

Thanks for the insight! I would never give up my beloved Singapore, either. I was just curious to hear how this new program was doing out in the ps world. Glad to hear it's ok! When I first saw it, and read about it, I was not impressed.

Thanks for the insight! I would never give up my beloved Singapore, either. I was just curious to hear how this new program was doing out in the ps world. Glad to hear it's ok! When I first saw it, and read about it, I was not impressed.

I would also have to question if there is enough "practice" of skills for most children. My view is admittedly a little skewed (given we do our own math at home) so the deficiencies of enVision are probably easier for me to gloss over (and are in a strange way are easier to use precisely because they are not beating the kids to death with a million calculations) but does it strike the right balance if unsupplimented at home (which most people don't do)? I tend to think not.

In any case this would not be the math program used in our schools were the decision mine to make.

Bill

I don't believe it is ahead of California standards. I think it's right on grade level...For California, the stds edition is not "ahead" of CA stds.

I respectfully have to disagree with this statement. For many of the *major* topics, Singapore Primary Math runs ahead of the CA state standards by the mid-elementary grades. Now, it is true that the U.S. edition does run behind the CA standards on certain topics (negative numbers, order of operations, probability & statistics, algebraic thinking), and that's why there was a need for the Standards edition. But if we look at the key topics like the four operations, fractions, etc. then Singapore is definitely ahead. Some examples:

-addition of two 2 digit numbers is in Singapore 1B vs. the 2nd grade CA standard

-subtraction of two 2 digit numbers is in 1B vs. the 2nd grade CA standard

-early multiplication is in 1B vs. the 2nd grade standard.

-long division is in 3A vs. the 4th grade standard.

-equivalent fractions are in 3B vs. the 4th grade standard

-adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators are in 4A vs. the 5th grade standard.

-mixed numbers are in 4A vs. the 5th grade standard

-multiplication and division of decimals are in 4B vs. the 5th grade standard.

I haven't looked to see where the topics beyond 4B fit in because that's the book my DD is currently finished up.

Regardless of where it falls, I would look at the future... If you stayed one semester "behind", you'd finish 6B at the beginning of 7th grade, do pre-algebra during 7th or 8th, algebra during 8th or 9th... That sounds like a fairly normal sequence to me? So I wouldn't worry.

He may catch up somewhere along the way anyway, but if not, he's still on track to have a normal high school math sequence, isn't he? I don't think I'd be concerned about him being a semester "behind". That really isn't a big deal.

:iagree:

In the course of the interesting derailment, I thought this important sentiment got lost. Of course one should start where a kid needs to start, regardless of standards or ahead or behind or anything else. And then if there's a need for some reason, you can try to push him along a little faster.

Does the OP realize that Singapore has free placement tests on their website? I would go with whatever those say is the right program for him.

I think STD is def running ahead. I think even more than half year like thy claim on their website especially at higher grade.. The book said align simply said the standard is covered. But when SM STD said covered, it most goes 2 step deeper.

Does the OP realize that Singapore has free placement tests on their website? I would go with whatever those say is the right program for him.

Yes, I realize this. I don't need to test him b/c we are already doing Singapore (have been since K). I have done it with 2 other children as well. (Incidentally, one of those children did it according to grade level, one is "ahead" by a year, and this third child is a semester "behind.") BUT, as most of you have reassured me, he is not really behind and will be fine. Better to go at a natural pace than stress him out and try to cram another level into the summer so that we are starting 3A in 3rd grade. It is taking him a bit longer to click into Singapore's conceptual approach -- but I feel that it's worth it, so I am going to stick with it and not stress about the number level... esp. since I really do think Singapore is a half year ahead. Thanks for the input.

You might appreciate knowing that the Singapore Primary Math series was used in Singapore. Kids there start first grade in January when they are *already* 7. The first grade in Singapore used the 1A and 1B books. Many American kids are 7 in 2nd grade. Remember that the kids in Singapore took those TIMSS tests by grade. The 4th graders that tested so high began using 4A and 4B in January and they were already 10.

My anecdotal "proof" that Singapore Primary Math is advanced --

I put my child into a small private school last year. He was about halfway through 5A and put into the advanced 6th grade math class. He learned nothing new that year in math. It was all review. I think they used Prentice Hall mathematics. This class was going to be doing pre-algebra in 7th grade and Algebra in 8th.

One of mine took a lot longer to go through 2A than 2B, it's a pattern so far for this child, A takes longer to understand conceptually than B. I tend to aim for California standards so I try to get through both but definately the understanding is more important at this stage.

I respectfully have to disagree with this statement. For many of the *major* topics, Singapore Primary Math runs ahead of the CA state standards by the mid-elementary grades. Now, it is true that the U.S. edition does run behind the CA standards on certain topics (negative numbers, order of operations, probability & statistics, algebraic thinking), and that's why there was a need for the Standards edition. But if we look at the key topics like the four operations, fractions, etc. then Singapore is definitely ahead. Some examples:

-addition of two 2 digit numbers is in Singapore 1B vs. the 2nd grade CA standard

-subtraction of two 2 digit numbers is in 1B vs. the 2nd grade CA standard

-early multiplication is in 1B vs. the 2nd grade standard.

-long division is in 3A vs. the 4th grade standard.

-equivalent fractions are in 3B vs. the 4th grade standard

-adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators are in 4A vs. the 5th grade standard.

-mixed numbers are in 4A vs. the 5th grade standard

-multiplication and division of decimals are in 4B vs. the 5th grade standard.

I haven't looked to see where the topics beyond 4B fit in because that's the book my DD is currently finished up.

I have to respectfully disagree right back atcha!:D

A lot of what you reference above actually is right in line with California standards. Addition/subtraction within 100 (including some simple addition/subtraction of tens without renaming) is a 1st grade standard. Division within 100 (which would include simple long division) is a 3rd grade standard). Knowing simple equivalent fractions is a 3rd grade standard. Mixed numbers are a 4th grade standard. There is a note that although adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators is not required at 4th grade, students can strategize ways to do so in the 4th grade given their knowledge of equivalent fractions. Multiplication/Division of decimals does not appear to be a 4th grade standard from what I can tell.

I do agree that the introduction of the multiplication concept in first grade is not required by CA stds, but the introduction is very brief and simple.

In any event, in CA at least, if one was concerned about keeping up with CA stds, I think it would be misleading to say Singapore was "ahead" -- it is definitely not half a year ahead, as others have discussed on these boards. I'll concede it appears to go deeper on selected concepts, but not so much as to make it close to half a year ahead of CA stds.

I also agree that one should use what works for the level of his/her particular student, which is the beauty of homeschooling in the first place.:001_smile:

A lot of what you reference above actually is right in line with California standards. Addition/subtraction within 100 (including some simple addition/subtraction of tens without renaming) is a 1st grade standard. Division within 100 (which would include simple long division) is a 3rd grade standard). Knowing simple equivalent fractions is a 3rd grade standard. Mixed numbers are a 4th grade standard. There is a note that although adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators is not required at 4th grade, students can strategize ways to do so in the 4th grade given their knowledge of equivalent fractions. Multiplication/Division of decimals does not appear to be a 4th grade standard from what I can tell.

I do agree that the introduction of the multiplication concept in first grade is not required by CA stds, but the introduction is very brief and simple.

In any event, in CA at least, if one was concerned about keeping up with CA stds, I think it would be misleading to say Singapore was "ahead" -- it is definitely not half a year ahead, as others have discussed on these boards. I'll concede it appears to go deeper on selected concepts, but not so much as to make it close to half a year ahead of CA stds.

I also agree that one should use what works for the level of his/her particular student, which is the beauty of homeschooling in the first place.:001_smile:

In terms of scope and sequence it is not "ahead" of California Math Standards.

It think does a better job than most math programs, and is a much better program than that used in our local schools, but is not "ahead" of the standard.

I also agree it's best to meet a child where they are, and that is the beauty of home education.

Bill

Bill

Our school district switched from Everyday Math to Envision. Envision is better than EM. However I also think it depends on the student as well. DD is finishing up 4th grade and she struggled with the concepts BUT she struggled b/c she needs repetition in order to "get it". We will be using Horizons this year at home. I will be starting my "K'er" in Singapore Math since I get to work with a "clean slate".

You might appreciate knowing that the Singapore Primary Math series was used in Singapore. Kids there start first grade in January when they are *already* 7. The first grade in Singapore used the 1A and 1B books. Many American kids are 7 in 2nd grade. Remember that the kids in Singapore took those TIMSS tests by grade. The 4th graders that tested so high began using 4A and 4B in January and they were already 10.

This does depend on the child's birthday. Children born in January will be almost 7 going into first grade, but all of the others will be 6.

This does depend on the child's birthday. Children born in January will be almost 7 going into first grade, but all of the others will be 6.

Has this changed in recent times in Singapore? Two friends of mine were raised there 30+ years ago (when Primary Math was being used, I think) and told me that kids *had to be* 7 before starting 1st grade. And school starts in January.

Here, in the US, most schools now require kids *have* to be 6 before starting 1st grade. When I was growing up you could turn six within the first few months of 1st grade (starting school in September). Now there are very few school districts that will allow a 5 year old (almost 6) into the first grade.

I mentioned this b/c I have a heard a lot of homeschooling moms using the Primary Math levels as US grade levels. I understood that the ages of kids using those levels in Singapore is *slightly* older than US kids in the same grade levels.

But please correct me if I am wrong.

Instead of worrying about what grade level our kids are in at 7 and 8 years old, we need to think about where they can be by the time they need to be there. (Algebra in 8th grade? Algebra in 10th? Whatever our goals are, taking their abilities in consideration.)

'Ahead of what?' is a good question. When Calvin was using Singapore, he was acing the Texas TAKs test a year or two higher than the number on the front of the Singapore book. I don't hear great things about the level of Texas education, however...

Laura

If Singapore is right on with CA standards does that mean all 7th graders in CA are doing pre-algebra and all 8th graders are doing at least algebra? Not trying to be snarky - truly curious.

I've looked at many, many math curriculum (math major - spend way too much time on this topic) and SM seems to generally run ahead "number wise" of everything else I've looked at - up to possibly 2 years at the 6 level. Not to mention it's going deeper than many curriculum as well. I can't speak to specific state standards however.

What are you talking about? Every time we do a chapter in Singapore, I have to note for our charter where the particular topic falls in alignment with the CA standards (i.e. grade X standard A.B.C) So I happen to know for a fact that long division is 4th grade Number Sense 3.4:

Solve problems involving division of multi digit numbers by one-digit numbers

There is nothing in the 3rd grade standard that talks about long division, only short division (number sense 2.5). Singapore 3A goes well beyond the kind of short division that is on the 3rd grade standard to full-blown long division.

I have to go through this stupid exercise every single month when preparing my log for the charter. For most of the major topics, Singapore *IS* ahead of the CA state standards.

If Singapore is right on with CA standards does that mean all 7th graders in CA are doing pre-algebra and all 8th graders are doing at least algebra? Not trying to be snarky - truly curious.

Algebra I in 8th grade is on the CA standards. That said, many students repeat it in 9th. The 8th grade "Algebra I" course is often more of a pre-algebra one just given a name that makes it appear in alignment with the state standards.

Algebra I in 8th grade is on the CA standards. That said, many students repeat it in 9th. The 8th grade "Algebra I" course is often more of a pre-algebra one just given a name that makes it appear in alignment with the state standards.

Hmmm ... interesting. Really a well prepared kid through 6B shouldn't need much to get into real algebra. If you followed the SM elementary sequence into the Singapore NEM sequence you'd be done w/Alg 1 and Geometry by the end of 8th grade.

And I agree many of the simpler algebra curriculum are really pre-alg.