Menu

I'm going to bet you didn't know this.

My 9th grade son related this conversation to us from school:

Friend1 to Friend2: What's the tallest mountain in the US?

Friend2 back to Friend1: I'm not sure now. It was Mt Everest, but then that exploded and blew its top, so it's not that anymore.

I find it difficult to fathom that a 9th grader in advanced classes in ps could make that mistake. I can understand their not knowing the tallest mountain in the US, but thinking it's Everest? Then thinking Everest is a volcano that blew its top? Even Mt St Helen's was never the tallest mountain...

He's also been doing an informal poll and found out a little over half his friends thought the Amazon River is in Africa. If the river is in South America, then the rainforest must be in Africa. :001_huh: That conversation got sparked by a student who wanted to go to Africa and work in the Amazon rainforest when she graduates. When he informed her that the Amazon was in South America she then said she wanted that river that everyone came to for religious cleansing and "stuff." He asked her if she meant the Ganges? In India?

I used to think Leno et al made up all their "people on the street" comedy sections. Now I'm thinking they come from our local high school.

The good point is youngest is enjoying "fixing" beliefs AND his friends seem to be enjoying learning. When I see them in school they tell me he's a genius (in admiration). I think he's rather "normal/average." He would be on this board at least.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the files of "I can't possibly make this stuff up". I so get the OP because of the following:

I judged a science competition for private schools here for Michigan. The competitors were students in grades 9-12. Now, I do wnat you to understand that the really good, prep schools such as Henry Ford, Cranbrook, etc. did not participate as this would not have been a prestigious enough competition for them.

Each of these schools held science fairs and the first, second, and third place winners at each school (there were 19 schools represented) were able to compete at the "state" level. One young man entered a project based on a theory that a massive earthquake would eventually cause California to break off from the mainland and become an island.

Now that you've digested that and the fact that it was a back board with a history of earthquake activity in California, but absolultely no seismology data - the only resource listed in the bibliography was an encyclopedia - the one page paper made this statement (okay, yes....have a facial tic...this kid was 15 and his project one with a ONE PAGE PAPER), "California will eventually become an island in the Atlantic Ocean".

Did you internalize that? California will fall off the continent and land in the Atlantic Ocean????? I disqualified the entry based on not meeting any basic requirements for being a high school level project which caused a fury from his school as he'd won "third place" because his teachers thought the premise was interesting. I told the organizers to tell the teachers that if they are so ignorant of basic scientific principles much less the most base of US geographic knowledge, then their school had bigger fish to fry than whether or not one of their entries was disqualified from a competition that was clearly outside the bounds of their students' abilities.

I was told I would not be asked back to judge the following year because my standards were too high!!!! To be fair to some of the entries, there were a few really good ones.

Faith

Most of the kids at my school probably would have given a blank stare and no response! I have to give him one point for naming an actual mountain.

This conversation was between myself and a middle school teacher.

I commented that Ike was a cute nickname.

She said "What makes you think Ike is a nickname?" :001_huh:

She's old enough to remember "I Like Ike". I had to explain that Ike was not Dwight Eisenhower's real name, because it actually was (drumroll, please ...) Dwight. Ike was a nickname. It's usually for Isaac, Isaiah, etc, but in his case for Dwight. She thought he had two names. :confused:

Edited by SunD

This is from the files of "I can't possibly make this stuff up". I so get the OP because of the following:

I judged a science competition for private schools here for Michigan. The competitors were students in grades 9-12. Now, I do wnat you to understand that the really good, prep schools such as Henry Ford, Cranbrook, etc. did not participate as this would not have been a prestigious enough competition for them.

Each of these schools held science fairs and the first, second, and third place winners at each school (there were 19 schools represented) were able to compete at the "state" level. One young man entered a project based on a theory that a massive earthquake would eventually cause California to break off from the mainland and become an island.

Now that you've digested that and the fact that it was a back board with a history of earthquake activity in California, but absolultely no seismology data - the only resource listed in the bibliography was an encyclopedia - the one page paper made this statement (okay, yes....have a facial tic...this kid was 15 and his project one with a ONE PAGE PAPER), "California will eventually become an island in the Atlantic Ocean".

Did you internalize that? California will fall off the continent and land in the Atlantic Ocean????? I disqualified the entry based on not meeting any basic requirements for being a high school level project which caused a fury from his school as he'd won "third place" because his teachers thought the premise was interesting. I told the organizers to tell the teachers that if they are so ignorant of basic scientific principles much less the most base of US geographic knowledge, then their school had bigger fish to fry than whether or not one of their entries was disqualified from a competition that was clearly outside the bounds of their students' abilities.

I was told I would not be asked back to judge the following year because my standards were too high!!!! To be fair to some of the entries, there were a few really good ones.

Faith

This explains why people have moved from eastern California into western Nevada. ;)

I can see a student coming up with this, but I can't fathom the teachers' response. :confused:

:001_huh: Your ds sounds like a great kid; his friends are lucky to know him.

My 9th grade son related this conversation to us from school:

Friend1 to Friend2: What's the tallest mountain in the US?

Friend2 back to Friend1: I'm not sure now. It was Mt Everest, but then that exploded and blew its top, so it's not that anymore.

I find it difficult to fathom that a 9th grader in advanced classes in ps could make that mistake. I can understand their not knowing the tallest mountain in the US, but thinking it's Everest? Then thinking Everest is a volcano that blew its top? Even Mt St Helen's was never the tallest mountain...

He's also been doing an informal poll and found out a little over half his friends thought the Amazon River is in Africa. If the river is in South America, then the rainforest must be in Africa. :001_huh: That conversation got sparked by a student who wanted to go to Africa and work in the Amazon rainforest when she graduates. When he informed her that the Amazon was in South America she then said she wanted that river that everyone came to for religious cleansing and "stuff." He asked her if she meant the Ganges? In India?

I used to think Leno et al made up all their "people on the street" comedy sections. Now I'm thinking they come from our local high school.

The good point is youngest is enjoying "fixing" beliefs AND his friends seem to be enjoying learning. When I see them in school they tell me he's a genius (in admiration). I think he's rather "normal/average." He would be on this board at least.

This is truly disturbing:smash:. It sounds a lot like some of our local teaching and student evaluatins going on here. The correct answers are not important...no the group skills attempting to solve them are.:tongue_smilie: (Personally, this sounds like an easy out of grading papers coupled with no accountability to actual learning.)

Faith

Edited by Tammyla

It drives me bonkers but I believe each and every one of these. My 17yo is considered 'a genius' by the kids at his high school. Believe me, he's not even close. He is just motivated to learn about science and history on his own! Doing anything outside of texting, facebook and gaming is considered positively geeky.

Threads like these make me cringe - because I don't understand the whole "let's make fun of people for what they don't know" stuff that happens here from time to time.

Really?

Maybe I'm just too new to have seen the pattern, because I do not get a mocking vibe from this thread at all.

Faith

This is really old news. When I was growing up on the west coast there was a saying that California would break off and fall into the "Pacific Ocean". :D

Threads like these make me cringe - because I don't understand the whole "let's make fun of people for what they don't know" stuff that happens here from time to time.

Nobody is making fun of the people. We are expressing awe and humor over the educational system that produced them.

And yes, it does make us feel better about homeschooling!

One young man entered a project based on a theory that a massive earthquake would eventually cause California to break off from the mainland and become an island.

Faith

Wasn't this one of the predictions of the psychic Edgar Cayce?!! I know, strange and I only even know about this guy because my deceased mother used to speak of the prophecies that had come to be. I am not a proponent of mysitics but do find it interesting and coincidental.

One of the moms at the activities my kids go to told me to feed my kids Sugar Corn Pops because it will help them grow and improve their health.

:001_huh:

Grow in which direction? And health??? :001_huh:

"California will eventually become an island in the Atlantic Ocean".

Faith

Ugh!!! FWIW I'm with you on standards.

Most of the kids at my school probably would have given a blank stare and no response! I have to give him one point for naming an actual mountain.

This is true. He did get a mountain.

This conversation was between myself and a middle school teacher.

I commented that Ike was a cute nickname.

She said "What makes you think Ike is a nickname?" :001_huh:

She's old enough to remember "I Like Ike". I had to explain that Ike was not Dwight Eisenhower's real name, because it actually was (drumroll, please ...) Dwight. Ike was a nickname. It's usually for Isaac, Isaiah, etc, but in his case for Dwight. She thought he had two names. :confused:

Did she think it was his middle name somehow?

:iagree: I have no idea what the tallest mountain in the US is, and I went to pretty good schools where I learned excellent grammar, sentence diagramming, and strong mental math. Can someone enlighten me?

And I'm not sure what's so wrong with not realizing that Ike was a nickname and not a second name :confused: People do have more than one name sometimes, and sometimes their middle names are used as opposed to their first names.

Does no one on this board have a single gap in her education and base of knowledge?

It drives me bonkers but I believe each and every one of these. My 17yo is considered 'a genius' by the kids at his high school. Believe me, he's not even close. He is just motivated to learn about science and history on his own! Doing anything outside of texting, facebook and gaming is considered positively geeky.

This is the case in our situation too.

I'm certainly not making fun of them. I'm cringing. I, personally, believe there are certain standards that pretty much everyone should know by a certain age. By advanced classes in 9th grade, knowing Mt Everest isn't in North America and that CA can't fall into the Atlantic Ocean are a couple of those. I'd feel the same way if they were homeschooling kids or adults - like, teachers for instance on the second example.

These stories are exactly why Dh and I decided that despite our limited school time, Geography will stay on the docket as a subject!!

In our school Geography WAS taught in 7th grade. It's being eliminated next year due to budget cuts.

I agree, and the pride from little Johnny setting everyone straight with his vast knowledge. Ugh.

Homeschoolers are the most boastful lot I've ever been around, unfortunately. :toetap05:

To each our own, but I'm glad Johnny can teach them whether Johnny was homeschooled or not. I'm even more glad when what Johnny is actually teaching is the love of learning and discovering things and it's appreciated by his peers. It's far better than Johnny sinking to the lower educational level and interest of his peers.

:iagree: I have no idea what the tallest mountain in the US is, and I went to pretty good schools where I learned excellent grammar, sentence diagramming, and strong mental math. Can someone enlighten me?

And I'm not sure what's so wrong with not realizing that Ike was a nickname and not a second name :confused: People do have more than one name sometimes, and sometimes their middle names are used as opposed to their first names.

Does no one on this board have a single gap in her education and base of knowledge?

As I mentioned in my original post, I can fully understand not knowing what the tallest mountain in the US is. That's more of a trivia deal. Some will know it and some won't. The part that's hard for me to fathom is thinking that Mt Everest is in the US. Just by "living" and paying attention to the world - regardless of what was covered in school - I would expect someone in advanced classes in 9th grade not to make that mistake - much less thinking it was a volcano that had exploded.

And the tallest mountain is Mt McKinley (Denali) in Alaska or Mt Whitney in CA if one wants the continental US. (Yes, trivia.)

The Ike one I can understand - esp if the person were younger. Perhaps less so if they were old enough to remember "Ike" as mentioned in the post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_the_highest_major_summits_of_the_United_States

I got #1 right but wasn't sure about it, and haven't even heard of #2-#10 - my guess for #2 is #11 :)

One of mine is a "Cloud Child'. Knows something one day, the next day doesn't know. Child has a vast storehouse of knowledge, but perhaps not always in important, measurable areas. ;)

Of course, I'd never allow a presentation about CA becoming an Atlantic Island to be included in any sort of program. ;) Hsing parents are a little more involved than that. lol

I can imgaine my Cloud Child saying something ridiculous about something to someone. It's the same child who told me, "You never read any Greek myths to us when we were little!" while holding our very old and very dog-eared copy of D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths.

Let's hope there were other decent entries, and let's hope the kid in the OP was gently shown a world map. "Oh, I don't believe it's Everest. Let me go look." Or something else helpful. :)

I had a friend in high school who was talking to another girl. The girl said she wanted to be an architect. My friend started talking to her about Frank LLoyd Wright who has many Buffalo & WNY connections. The girl had never heard of him so my friend gave the girl books her family owned about FLW.

Obviously, I haven't forgotten what a kind thing my friend did all these years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_the_highest_major_summits_of_the_United_States

I got #1 right but wasn't sure about it, and haven't even heard of #2-#10 - my guess for #2 is #11 :)

Ah, thanks! I have heard of Mt. McKinley, now that I read the name. Most of the rest I'd never heard of. We're in NJ, so what we refer to as "mountains" here, the rest of the country would thumb their noses at :lol:

Guest Dulcimeramy

I have begun being more careful about putting down the ignorant. I used to be very guilty of that. I thought that since I'd been an autodidact in spite of public schools, everyone should be.

Now I think I understand the big picture a little better.

Since American schools are so abysmal in this generation, the majority of students lack a basic education. It is not their fault. They've been provided with a sub-par learning experience but given A's and B's on their report cards. They don't even know how ignorant they are.

Since the only alternatives to public schooling are private schools and homeschooling, the children of the wealthy and/or capable are the ones who know things everyone used to know.

That took me awhile to grasp, because according to any standard our family is not-quite-middle-class and struggling financially to afford homeschooling. The truth is that I close the financial gap with resourcefulness and capability. I can't expect everyone to be able to do what I do.

Sooo.....when I look down on children who have learned nothing in the public schools, I'm really being kind of classist and elitist. Education is for the rich and the strong. I shouldn't mock people for being ignorant, poor, or weak.

I am trying to reserve my strong words and opinions for the adults who seem so determined to keep the next generation illiterate, innumerate, and ignorant. This is not the fault of the children.

(If this sounds like preaching, it is not meant to. This is a very recent revelation for me. Anyone can search my posts and find me bashing ignorance; I've done it for years. I'm trying to stop it, because I now feel pity toward these students instead of scorn.)

Edited by Dulcimeramy

There has always been a 'dunce' or two in every class. We really haven't moved beyond shaming. The school system is quite lacking, no doubt. However, if autism is on the rise, I'm betting so is dyslexia and other learning issues.

There are more and less academically inclined kids in every class, every age, every situation. This is true. However, those who are in "advanced" classes whether in ps or hs generally aren't those on the "less" scale. Learning disabilities are not an issue here.

Plus, I think some of you are reading into this more than was there. This is a peer group of kids (only kids, no teacher involved) who are friends and enjoy quizzing each other on different things (can be widely different - my son didn't know what Tic Tacs were one day and the others were amused). They are learning for fun. While I cringe somewhat at what wasn't known (Tic Tacs don't bother me, but my guy did find Santa brought him some in his stocking!), I am GLAD they are working at learning various things. It's a nice peer group - not a shaming group. I cringe that these [academically talented] kids HAD geography in 7th grade and at least one still thought Everest was a mountain in the US. None of them knew how tall Everest was. So what'd they do? Mine came home and looked it up and went back and shared the next day. Several in that group now know where the Amazon and Ganges are.

I LIKE that. If they aren't getting it in school (even with info provided), I think it's great that they are learning from peers (whether previously homeschooled or not). But, to each their own. I'm sure not going to tell him to be quiet and let them continue thinking things incorrectly if they come up.

It's not "bashing" anyone to be amused by these stories. I think most hs's are amused because it is typically the stereotype that hs'ers are the ones who won't get a good education. If hs kids are "boastful", it's only because they are happy to be able to counteract the incorrect perception that they are somehow being slighted or shorted by being hs'd.

I am amused by these stories as a statement on the fact of the education system (in the sense of, see PS is not so perfect either, so don't look down on my hs'ing).

I, after all, have a child who stated that the national currency of Mexico was churros! :lol:

It's not "bashing" anyone to be amused by these stories. I think most hs's are amused because it is typically the stereotype that hs'ers are the ones who won't get a good education. If hs kids are "boastful", it's only because they are happy to be able to counteract the incorrect perception that they are somehow being slighted or shorted by being hs'd.

I am amused by these stories as a statement on the fact of the education system (in the sense of, see PS is not so perfect either, so don't look down on my hs'ing).

I, after all, have a child who stated that the national currency of Mexico was churros! :lol:

:iagree:

I sort of wonder if we ought to have a thread of situations like these so we can direct those who question homeschooling to it. There are pros and cons in all educational systems.

With the latter... Freudian slip? :lol:

It is a bit shocking, re: the Mt. Everest comment...though it wasn't as shocking to me as finding out that my 12yo dd thought that the Atlantic ocean was, "on the right." :glare: I see our gaps are in geography! :lol:

If you look at a map of the US, the Atlantic is on the right. I don't see what's so wrong with saying it that way (vs. saying it's to the east??). Or do you think of yourself standing facing a different direction when you picture the Atlantic?

If you look at a map of the US, the Atlantic is on the right. I don't see what's so wrong with saying it that way (vs. saying it's to the east??). Or do you think of yourself standing facing a different direction when you picture the Atlantic?

I don't remember the conversation in totality but that wasn't the only oddity she shared re: her geographical knowledge. We all cracked up (about the "right" comment) because she didn't say "east" but there was more to it that told us I needed to do some real work in this area. :)

A friend met an 8th grader who had never heard of the French Revolution. That would be because Texas schools don't teach any kind of world history until 10th grade.

(Just to be sure, I asked my kids what they knew about the French Revolution. They were able to give me basic facts and an approximate date.)

The OP made me laugh because my boys still confuse Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Everest. We could see Mt. St. Helens from where we used to live in Oregon. They will talk about Mt. Everest and then I realize they are referring to Mt. St. Helens. I just give them "the look" and it dawns on them that they mixed them up again.

FWIW, my 10 yo just walked by and I asked him where Mt. Everest was. "What? You don't know where it is? Australia!" :001_huh: He must have seen the look on my face because he quickly paused and said, "Uh...no?"

I agree, and the pride from little Johnny setting everyone straight with his vast knowledge. Ugh.

Homeschoolers are the most boastful lot I've ever been around, unfortunately. :toetap05:

Many homeschoolers have fled the utter disaster that the public schools have become. When we take justifiable pride in our children's accomplishments, that DOES NOT equate to being boastful.

The fact that many students in public schools are cultural, geographical and literary illiterates is a sad fact. Would you have us not mention it... keep it locked away like some dirty little secret? What good would that do?

I am proud of the fact that my children can find most of the World's nations on a blank map. Is that boastful?

The twit, and that is what he is, who thought that California may end up in the ATLANTIC should be called on it. It is an object lesson about the pitfalls of failure to study and take basic precautions to ensure that one is correct. We all make mistakes, but that is not the case here. What we have here is simple laziness coupled with an appalling lack of knowledge and judgment on the part of the “teachers.†That this was a private school where parents actually pay for such an “education†beggars belief.

If stories such as these encourage more parents to abandon the sinking ship that is the public school system (and now apparently some private schools) then broadcasting them does nothing but good! I think that the poster should actually send her story to the local papers. People need to speak up not avoid being “boastful†and thereby allow this type of outrage to continue.