Menu

Plans for Next Year

The K-8 and Logic Boards have had a bunch of these, but I haven't seen any over here. Post your plans for high school next year, whatever grade.:001_smile:

Here's my (tentative) plan for 9th

Math- AoPS Algebra 3 & Precalculus

Science- Spectrum Chemistry, maybe some PH after Eight's thoughts on the other thread

History- ToG Ancients

Literature- ToG Ancients

Health (1/2 credit)- ?

Cryptology- AoPS Number Theory, Elementary Cryptanalysis, and Mathematical Chiphers, plus MEP's code units. Also, a history of cryptography and espionage using The Code Book as a spine.

German- ?

Possibly another elective. Either Equine Science, a Computer Programming class, or AoPS Intro to Counting and Probability.

Middle son - Senior:

English at the local cc

Calculus (most likely Chalkdust since I already have it. I'm tempted to look at Thinkwell to compare first)

Physics and Advanced Physics with Apologia - made into one credit

Economics with the Teaching Company - 1/2 credit

Government with Notgrass - 1/2 credit

PE/Health with Nutrition Action

Spanish continuing with Rosetta Stone and will try to supplement with something, but I don't know what. Only continuing with Rosetta Stone because we already have it.

Then we need to add one elective, but I'm not exactly sure just what yet. I'll be looking around at what others have done to see what looks interesting for my guy.

The K-8 and Logic Boards have had a bunch of these, but I haven't seen any over here. Post your plans for high school next year, whatever grade.:001_smile:

Here's my (tentative) plan for 9th

Math- AoPS Algebra 3 & Precalculus

Science- Spectrum Chemistry, maybe some PH after Eight's thoughts on the other thread

History- ToG Ancients

Literature- ToG Ancients

Health (1/2 credit)- ?

Cryptology- AoPS Number Theory, Elementary Cryptanalysis, and Mathematical Chiphers, plus MEP's code units. Also, a history of cryptography and espionage using The Code Book as a spine.

German- ?

Possibly another elective. Either Equine Science, a Computer Programming class, or AoPS Intro to Counting and Probability.

That's a lot of AoPS's classes. It might be doable but it will be time consuming. You might want to be flexible if your 9th grader seems to have a hard time juggling that pace.

And, you might want to preview Spectrum before you make the decision to add PH. Several posters whom I respect have had great success w/o supplementing.

10th grade:

AP cal BC through PAH

AP chem through PAH

Smarr ancient lit

Western Civ 1

French 3

Latin 2

astronomy 2 (if he can't handle the load, this one will be dropped as formal study and he'll do it for fun. )

computer programming

12th grade:

pre-cal 2 and cal 1 at cc

econ at cc (taking this this summer) + American gov't at home

English comp at cc

Kinetic physics

City of God study

Natural Law and Human Nature

AP chem through PAH (eta add this one. I forgot about it until talking to dd!!)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

He'll be doing most of Ambleside Online's House of Education's year 7 lite: bible, history/biographies, geography, literature (regular year 7 schedule for lit), nature study & fine arts (drawing/art study, composer, hymn & folk songs).

I just ordered The Poet's Corner for both of my boy's poetry class next year. I'm excited about using that!

Government & Econ will be HoE's year 9 selections.

My son has a math ld, so he will just now be getting to Algebra using Key to Algebra. Since his math skills affect his science, he will not be using a traditional text for science. Right now I'm planning for him to read and take notes from A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bryson, The Sea Around Us by Rachel Carson and Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman. His nature reading (either a Fabre book or Walden) will round out his science studies.

Foreign languge will be German using Rosetta Stone.

He will continue to write essays and short reports about different things he's learning in his classes and also work on all the different creative writing projects he has going now and probably some new ones by next year.

12th grade:

Calculus I at home with Larson's and an online course through NROC

General Chemistry I at local CC in the Fall semester

General Psychology at local CC in second Summer semester

Human Body/Diseases and Health online from the local CC in first Summer semester

American Government and Politics online through NROC

English IV: Language and Composition using The Language of Composition (Bedford St. Martin's)

Astronomy at home (either 1 or 2 semesters, not sure yet)

Music Theory II

Physical Education (Yoga 3x/week, Field Hockey with friends, and hopefully joining a gym)

I am not sure what Spring semester course I'll be taking at the local CC yet as they haven't posted those classes yet. But possibly an English course. Maybe another Science or an elective for fun.

That looks like fun!

For my 11th grader:

Chem (2nd 1/2 of Prentice Hall's Chem)

Alg II

Brit Lit -IEW

History- I think we're going with an in-depth study of 20th c.

Oral Interp

Creative Writing

Shakespeare

Bible -on his own

Maybe Poetry Outloud or Nat'l History Day

co-op: art, music, unit study

ballroom dancing/ultimate

Summer camps: Drama Camp, Shakespeare camp, Back to D.C.

Life Skills: lots of drywalling, floor sanding, painting again this year, gardening, cooking

Edited by laughing lioness

Truth? My plan is to have my rising senior take the CHSPE this summer so she can "graduate" and I will concentrate on educating my middler and the baby while eldest either works or takes CC classes, and caring for my mom with cancer, simultaneously with teaching eldest more life skills.

But if we hadn't made this decision, we would be using living books and classics for world history, reading/watching How Should We Then Live, studying human anatomy, watching the TC series on nutrition, learning about logic and poetry from Classical Academic Press, and much more. She may do some of this on her own.

Maybe not much help to the OP, but it helps me to say it out loud. Thanks for listening.

My upcoming 9th grade: We're doing almost pure TWTM this year

Rhetoric ~ A Ruleboook for Arguments

Language ~ Rod & Staff English 7

Great books ~ History of the Ancient World, The Well-Educated Mind, IEW's Elegant Essay, Work through list in TWTM

Mathematics ~ Saxon Algebra 1

Science ~ Apologia Biology + Readings from Cambell's Biology + suggested readings in TWTM

Latin ~ Lively Latin Big Book 2, Oxford Latin, Lingua Latina

Greek ~ Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek level 5, Athenaze

German ~ dh's problem ;)

(Ds loves languages. These are his favorite subjects. :001_huh:)

Art & Music ~ The Annotated Mona Lisa & The Classical Music Experience as suggested in TWTM

Extras: Karate, Typing

Edited by coffeegal

12th grade younger DS:

- English = 1 credit = make our own: 1 semester sci-fi, 1 semester world lit

- Math = 1 credit = Abeka Consumer Math

- Science = 0.75 credit = Conceptual Physics

- For. Lang. = 2 credits = 2 semesters Sign Language at community college

- Fine Arts = 1 credit = a class at community college (?)

- PE = 0.5 credit = informal ballroom dance class with friends; public school tennis team / tennis lessons

And older DS who is graduating in 2 weeks will be at the community college full time working on a Digital Arts (film making) degree! :) I may *possibly* teach a Film History/Film Analysis class at our homeschool co-op next year; if I do younger DS would attend (count towards Fine Arts credit), and older DS might co-teach if his community college schedule permits. :)

12th grade DS extracurricular:

- drum lessons -- hopefully soon to include Youth Worship Band!

- Youth & Government

- homeschool Student Council

- weekly church Youth Group

Edited by Lori D.

11nth Grade:

AP Lit. with PAHS

Spanish with SO

AP Calculus AB

Science at local university : Biology most probably

AP Economics with PAHS

Haven't finalized all the courses except for the Lit, Econ. and Spanish Courses. What is the required number of courses that show rigor in Junior year? I am told that 6 to 7 courses in norm. What does the hive say? I could add Art History of Psychology or AP Physics. Are the five courses listed above too less?

Thanks.

Edited by Nissi

My dd will be 9th grade next year. Here's the plan.

Math: BJU Algebra 1

Science: Dive Science ICP w/BJU Text

FL: Visual Link Spanish 1

Bible: Taking the OT Challenge and Starting Points

History: Ancients (putting this together with Glencoe World History/BJU World History, Literature from Biblioplan, MFW, and TWTM)

English/Comp/Lit:

Literature from Starting Points & History including using some things from MFW Literature supplement, CLE English 1(1/2), IEW's The Elegant Essay, Vocabulary for the HS Student

PE: exercise 30 minutes at least 4 days per week (she plays no sports)

Possibly doing Cotillion and Chorus at a local private school

We are considering her doing BJU Geometry over the summer. I will be teaching it to a friend's daughter, so we started talking about her giving it a try. Dd has already done quite a bit of actual Algebra in CLE's 8th grade math this year. She does really well with logic. If she doesn't do well,we can always do it again later.

That's a lot of AoPS's classes. It might be doable but it will be time consuming. You might want to be flexible if your 9th grader seems to have a hard time juggling that pace.

And, you might want to preview Spectrum before you make the decision to add PH. Several posters whom I respect have had great success w/o supplementing.

AoPS Algebra 3 class starts in June and ends in November and then we'll start Precalc finishing over the summer if need be.:001_smile:

Ok, I will. Thank you.

DD 12th Grade

Plan A-

English 4-Still trying to figure out the details

Creative Writing-Same as Above

20th Century World History-Uncle Eric Books and Ambleside Online 11th year

Anatomy (1st Semester)- Apologia The Human Body Fearfully & Wonderfully Made

Economics (2nd Semester)-Uncle Eric Books

Sociology (1st Semester)-CC

Art-CC (1st Semester)-CC

2 other undecided Classes (2nd Semester)-CC

Our CC’s are so impacted right now there is a very good chance she will not be able to get into the CC at all which we won't know unitl May 19th, so…

Plan B-

English 4-Still trying to figure out the details

Creative Writing-Same as Above

20th Century World History-Uncle Eric Books and Ambleside Online 11th year

Anatomy (1st Semester)- Apologia The Human Body Fearfully & Wonderfully Made & maybe TTC course

Accounting (1st Semester)- Alpha Omega Life Pac

Forensic Psychology (2nd Semester) – Will worry about the details later

Economics (2nd Semester)-Uncle Eric Books

My son will be in 10th grade next year.

Math: Saxon Advanced Mathematics, lessons 60-125

Latin: Henle Third Year Latin

Greek: Athenaze Greek, Book 2

Rhetoric: Corbett's Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student

History/Lit: Great Books (medieval history as per TWTM; haven't yet compiled reading list)

Science: Astronomy (The Teaching Co.'s Understanding the Universe plus The Cosmic Perspective. If anyone knows of a better text, please post it! :) )

Extracurriculars: piano, drama, scuba

He'll continue studying Hebrew on his own time, but I seriously doubt he'll do enough to earn a credit on his transcript. He's also making noises about taking Japanese at the community college, but I'm not sure I'm willing to jump through all the hoops this year. He still has a few months to wear me down, so he might get his way in the end. :tongue_smilie:

Science: Astronomy (The Teaching Co.'s Understanding the Universe plus The Cosmic Perspective. If anyone knows of a better text, please post it! :) )

:

The lectures are given by one of the 2 authors of The Cosmos. http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Astronomy-Millennium-AceAstronomy-Virtual/dp/049501303X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304888858&sr=1-1 (I found a used copy that was like brand new for $1!!)The lectures and the book work incredibly well together. My ds LOVED this course (so much so that astrophysics is now his goal.) I don't know if your ds has had physics yet or not, but if he hasn't, I would recommend holding off on the astronomy course until he has had a high school physics class. The course is about 60% physics concepts (not the math, just the concepts).

HTH

Depending on how you view it, DD13 will be 8th/9th grade and DD14 will be 9th/10th grade.

While I am still having second (and third) thoughts about many things, it seems that, for now, we have settled on at least some:

English: LL LOTR + a few additional readings (DD13) and mom-made British Lit (DD14), both outsourced to tutors

Math: AoPS Intermediate Algebra (DD13), DD14 will do regular school program, perhaps a bit enriched by AoPS Alg & Geo, but nothing scheduled past that

French: CLE's Tout Va Bien! 2-3/4 (DD14) as a general spine (rolling eyes here, but I will not comment LOL), a bit supplemented and outsourced to a tutor

History: Ancients (I & II - DD13 Greece, DD14 Rome), tied to literature / classics (which are mom-made), regular school spines I guess

I have a general idea of Italian and classics for each kid. Violin and solfeggio (for DD14) and Drawing (for DD13) are outsourced too. We have a general idea of Hebrew and general Judaics for each kid too, one will need it online-outsourced though as DH has little time to learn with her and she wants a more hardcore program. Sciences are a big problem at this point, not sure what to pick. DD13 has also not decided yet what to do with Greek (to continue, or continue only year, or not continue) and foreign language (to take it or just "take" English for that purpose).

Edited by Ester Maria

DD 14 will be in 10th grade.

Faith:

Understanding the Scriptures

History and Literature:

Great books

History of the Medieval World

Biology:

Concepts and Connections – Campbell

Chemistry:

General Chemistry – Chang

Physics:

Physics: Principles with Applications – Giancoli

English:

Classical Writing Plutarch

French:

Collage textbooks

Latin:

Bradley’s Arnold Latin Prose Composition

Literature

Greek:

Sidgwick’s Greek Prose Composition

Literature

Icelandic:

Icelandic Grammar, Texts, and Glossary

Math:

Art of Problem Solving Intermediate Algebra

Logic:

Introduction to Logic – Gensler

Music:

Violin

Intermediate Harmony

Art (medieval and renaissance):

The Story of Painting – Sister Wendy

The Annotated Mona Lisa

The Annotated Arch

Not completely sure what we will be doing next year for 11th grade for Ds#1. He won't be done with 10th grade until July (if he is lucky). He is currently finishing up Chemistry, English Composition, World History, and Literature (Science Fiction for 1/2 credit and World Lit for 1/2 credit).

Then over summer he needs to do Consumer Education/Economics and U.S. Government and 1/2 credit of science (geology or astronomy).

Then if he gets all that done... he will be able to promote to 11th grade and enroll in a Pennsylvania public cyber school. If he doesn't get it all done then he will have to be a sophmore again.

If all goes well he will take through Cyber School:

English

Precalculus

U.S. History

Biology

Spanish

Computer Programming

P.E.

And through Civil Air Patrol he will do Advanced Aerospace Science and Air Force History and Leadership.

If he does all of this successfully he may attend CC full time in 12th grade for dual credit. I wish I could graduate him at end of 11th grade with his twin sister, but I can't see it happening unless he buckles down and works overtime.

Edited by AnitaMcC

She needs to finish up Geometry that she started a month ago. She may do Consumer Education/Economics and U.S. Governement over the summer.

For 11th grade next year she will do:

1 credit Senior English (American Lit/Speech based): but I don't have it figured out yet.

1 credit U.S. History (MIT Open courseware, Maier "Inventing America“, 2nd Ed.)

1 credit Life Science/Biology (“The Sciences: An Integrated Approach“, Joy of Science DVD) with some additonal sources.

1 credit Precalculus (Larson, “Precalculus: A graphing approach“)

1 credit Beginning Chinese (MIT Open Courseware I & II or using Integrated Chinese Level 1)

1 credit Applied Music (private lessons and band)

½ credit World Music (An Introduction to the Music of the World’s People”)

½ credit Counterpoint (Music comp) (The Study of Counterpoint by Johann Joseph Fux)

If she does all this... she will graduate then end of 11th grade and then attend CC for two years. She is going to dual major in college... Performing Music and Criminology.

My daughter is planning to cover two years this year. I have mixed feelings about this, but have let it stand for now. I do think it would be prudent to call the whole year 8th grade even if she works through both schedules.

8th grade: May-December (32 weeks)

9th grade: January - August (32 weeks)

Math: AOPS Algebra I ---- AOPS Geometry

Science: FLVS Honors Physical Science ---- FLVS Honors Biology

English: FLVS Advanced English 8 ---- FLVS Honors English I (9th grade)

History: Kolbe Greek History ---- Kolbe Roman History

Literature: Kolbe Greek Literature ---- Kolbe Roman Literature

Latin: CLAA Latin II (half credit each year)

Art: FLVS Middle School Art (half credit added to 8th grade)

Elective: FLVS Driver's Ed requirement (half credit for 9th grade?)

The driver's ed class is more of an alcohol and drug awareness class that 14 year olds are required to take in Florida before they can apply for a driving permit at 15. FLVS claims it is worth .5 credit, but I haven't decided what to do with it.

The Greek and Roman history/literature will also have Teaching Company lectures and Yale Open-courseware lectures added to it.

I can't believe how many times I have changed my plans. I still don't have everything purchased, but I'm getting close so fewer things are flexible now!

History: SL Core 7 with Spielvogel's Human Oddyssey

LA: SL Readers, OYAN

Science: Biology Miller Levine

Math: Finish MUS Algebra, doing LoF Algebra this summer; If he finishes quickly, we'll go onto Geometry. If I'm not confident in his algebra skills I have Lials Introductory Algebra and we'll use it too!

Japanese: Irrashai

PE/Health: Intellego Health with various at home exercise

Orchestra: Audition orchestra, music theory, Advanced band & guitar lessons

Computer: Third semester of programming, DH does this, I don't know what he is using yet.

10th grade:

English: The Language of Composition and supplemental reading

Math: Derek Owens Precalculus unless he decides he wants to do AoPS Algebra 3 and Precalculus

History: Ways of the World and supplemental reading

Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life (Starr), The Nature of Life, a LabPaq, and supplemental reading

History of Science: TC lectures, Science and Its Ways of Knowing, Scientific Revolutions: Primary Texts in the History of Science, and supplemental reading

Latin: Oak Meadow Latin II

The lectures are given by one of the 2 authors of The Cosmos. http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Astronomy-Millennium-AceAstronomy-Virtual/dp/049501303X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304888858&sr=1-1 (I found a used copy that was like brand new for $1!!)The lectures and the book work incredibly well together. My ds LOVED this course (so much so that astrophysics is now his goal.) I don't know if your ds has had physics yet or not, but if he hasn't, I would recommend holding off on the astronomy course until he has had a high school physics class. The course is about 60% physics concepts (not the math, just the concepts).

HTH

My son loved this combination too.

We're still up in the air, because I'm trying to decide whether it will be okay to have dd take a science and/or writing class at the co-op we joined. They'll probably just take some electives, though, so our year will look like this:

10th grader (loves science and languages, just doing enough math to get the science, future computer programmer or mechanical engineer):

Latin II (1 credit) - finish Wheelock's

Math (1 credit - or 1 1/2) - VTI Geometry/Trig

Science (1 credit) - DIVE Chem with BJU text (or ChemAdvantage)

Lit/History (1 credit) - Year 2 WTM HS plan, with some Omnibus II/V

English (1 credit) - writing from lit/history, plus other work, grammar review, VFCR, linguistics

Comp Sci (1 credit)- programming in Java, web design/HTML (possibly at CC, but probably I'll just teach)

Logic/Rhetoric (1/2 credit)- various resources, maybe online class

Phys Ed (1/4 credit) - tennis, swimming, etc.

Art (1/2 credit) - art lessons and tours

Music (1 credit) - flute lessons, youth symphony and various performances

possible co-op elective classes in drafting, ASL, photography, public speaking, etc.

8th(9th?) grader (loves math, future aeronautical engineer):

Latin I (1 possible credit) - Wheelock's

Math (1 possible credit - or 1 1/2) - VTI Geometry/Trig, AOPS classes (not sure which yet, starting this summer)

Science (1 possible credit) - DIVE Chem with BJU text

Lit/History - Year 2 WTM HS plan, with some Omnibus II/V

English - writing from lit/history, plus other work, grammar review, VFCR Comp Sci - programming in Java

Logic - various resources

Phys Ed - tennis, swimming, etc.

Art - art lessons and tours

Music - piano and clarinet lessons, youth symphony and various performances

possible co-op elective classes in drafting, public speaking, sculpting, etc.

Ds will be in 9th grade:

History: TOG Year 1

English: TOG Year 1, R & S 9, supplement with Lively Art of Writing, Art of Argument, & Essential Literary Terms.

Math: Saxon Advanced Math

Science: Finish Apologia Chem I & Apologa Chem II

Language: Wheelock's Latin

Computer Science: C#

Piano: private lessons

Swim Team

9th grader:

Review of pre-algebra (first 3 months), then Algebra with Teaching Textbook (will finish hopefully by the end of next summer).

My Father's World Ancient History and Literature

Apologia Physical Science

Art - maybe Artistic Pursuits or something similar

Wendi

Bletchley Park has a nice set of lesson plans on their website... not a full course or anything, but a nice supplement and worth looking at, especially if you want materials on the Enigma!

Our plans for next year are:

Electronics and Physics

Problem Solving (AoPS book 1 and probably at least half of book 2)

Microeconomics (2nd half of Teaching Company video series + extra readings)

US & Canadian History and Literature (lots and lots of books)

Shakespeare (Henry IV, Henry V, and The Tempest)

Spanish 4 (Oklahoma State Univ)

Latin 2 (Lone Pine Classical School)

Our schedule for next year looks something like this:

MFW World History for Bible, English and History, 3 credits

Physics, Local Co-op w/Apologia OR Derek Owens w/Giancoli, 1 credit

Geometry, w/Derek Owens, 1 credit

Logic, Finish w/Thinking Toolbox, .5 credit

Rhetoric, Curric yet to be determined, .5 credit

Spanish, looking for online source, not happy with Rosetta Stone, 1 credit

Community Service, Meals on Wheels volunteer, 4 hours/week

This summer we will finish up the rest of Lial's Intermed. Algebra and Chemistry.

Ds 14 - 9th grade:

Finishing Algebra 1 - Lial's Introductory and then moving onto Jacob's Geometry

Apologia Biology and the AP Biology study book

Rod and Staff English 9 & 10 - he's already started this.

US History - I've got a set of spines, plus additional readings - basically, I'm cobbling together my own because I haven't found any curriculum so far that meets our requirements or isn't heavily revisionist.

Great Books Study - "On Plymouth Plantation", "Poor Richard", "Declaration of Independence", "The U.S. Constitution", "Federalist Papers", "Anti-Federalist Papers", "Common Sense", "Uncle Tom's Cabin", the Lincoln/Douglas Debates, "On Walden's Pond", "The Prince and the Pauper", "Hiding Place", "1914 - 1918 Voices and Images of the First World War", "A Farewell to Arms", and I'd like some memoirs of one of the more modern conflicts but haven't decided yet.

Henle Latin 2nd year

Practical Drafting

Art History - Harmony Arts, Some of McConnell'sboys lessons, and The Color of Art/M.I.T. Opencourseware

Introduction to Java Programming - M.I.T. Opencourseware

Faith

Ugh. How did this happen so quickly?! Every time I begin to plan for next year and see my dc's grade levels on paper, I have to use all that is in me to enjoy the beauty of this stage (and there is a lot of beauty) and not wish for earlier days. :001_smile:

Anyway, I'll have a 9th grader, 11th grader and my second graduating senior.

Ninth Grade ds:

Saxon Algebra II

Conceptual Physics along with hands-on projects from Exploration Education

American Lit, Classical Writing Diogenes (both), R & S 8

Latin II (FLVS)

History: Middle Ages and putting the class together now

Apologetics

Traditional Logic I/II

Competitive Speech (Fall); Shakespeare (Spring)

11th Grade ds:

College Algebra (Fall)

Physics (Spring)

AP Literature (FLVS)

World Lit, possibly R & S 9/10 but he may not have time with test year

Foreign Language: he's choosing between Latin III, Greek I or a living language

American History

Apologetics

Shakespeare (Spring)

12th Grade dd:

Chem I with lab (Fall)

Chem II with lab (Spring)

Pre-calc (Fall)

Calc (Spring)

World Lit

French III (Fall) and IV (Spring)

American History (Fall)

AP Literature (FLVS)

APologetics

*this is too much, IMO, as she'll be at local university which is a bump up from the CC. So we need to cut or do something(s) this summer. :confused:

Lisa, still in the throes of fleshing this out for next year and amazed that so many of you know just what you are doing!

Edited by FloridaLisa

For those of you using Teaching Company courses, how do you assign grades? Do the courses come with tests, etc.? I know that some courses have writing suggestions and study guides, but what about the science courses?

I have two high schoolers, 10th and 11th grades. They are nearly at the same level, so I'm combining where I can. If the subject says "or" then that is where I am not combining.

First semester English

IEW advanced communication skills, elegant essay, windows to the world

Second semester english

Total language plus shorts stories and Hewitt Speech

Math

Finish up lials algebra 1, then geometry (LoF w/ key to)

Science

Potter's Aviation (elective or science yet?)

Astronomy using various materials followed by apologia physics 1

Or

PAC integrated physics and chemistry

History

Western civilizations 2 using various materials

Foreign language

Spanish 1 via coop

Or

Lukeion attic Greek

Kolbe religion 10

Various other stuff band, golf, ballroom dance, church, whatever.

Dd, 9th grade..

VideoText Algebra I

The Rainbow Science (physical science & biology credits over 2 years.. thoughts?)

Sonlight Core 100 American History in Depth

All American History text

American Literature

Easy Grammar Plus

Piano

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Latin & Greek word roots (pulled from 2 resources)

Wordly Wise

Writing assignments from Sonlight and IEW

Thoughts?

My oldest will be an 11th grader next year. She will be dual-enrolled full-time at a local college for the next two years. Paperwork is done, and she has her registration and advising appointment in a couple of weeks!

My work here is done... at least until #2 hits 9th grade! ;)

Edited by sailmom

My oldest will be an 11th grader next year. She will be dual-enrolled full-time at a local college for the next two years. Paperwork is done, and she has her registration and advising appointment in a couple of weeks!

That sounds wonderful!!

I hope she enjoys the experience :001_smile:

My 13yo dd will be doing:

English 1 -- Elegant Essay, Windows to the World, and Hake Grammar 8 (because it's what I have on hand, and she really only needs a review)

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2

Christian Liberty Biology

Glencoe World Geography

Personal Finance (Discovering God's Way of Handling Money--A Financial Study for Teens)

Health (undecided which one, but it will be 2nd semester)

Glencoe Foods for Today

Piano Lessons

4-H Projects

Edited by Keniki

Dd, 9th grade..

VideoText Algebra I

The Rainbow Science (physical science & biology credits over 2 years.. thoughts?)

Sonlight Core 100 American History in Depth

All American History text

American Literature

Easy Grammar Plus

Piano

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Latin & Greek word roots (pulled from 2 resources)

Wordly Wise

Writing assignments from Sonlight and IEW

Thoughts?

If you want thoughts, I will comment on the two I've used. I'm not sure Rainbow would count for high school credit. It is designed for junior high students. I used Year 1 with my dd in 7th grade, and I would not have considered it a high school physical science level course. I am going to use Dive Science ICP with BJU's textbook, but you have a choice of textbooks.

My dd did SL Core 100 this year in 8th grade. She was not happy with most of the reading selections. She felt they were too easy for her. Every student is going to be at different levels in that department, and she is an advanced reader. How much writing instruction has your dd had already? While I thought the writing assignments were good in the Core 100, there was no writing instruction. There were no instructions for me on how to grade the writing assignments, which I really need. Thankfully my dd had writing instruction in some materials here at home and attended a writing class with a retired English teacher.

I hate to be negative, but I know I'd like to hear the possible negatives before I spend time and money on something.

For those of you using Teaching Company courses, how do you assign grades? Do the courses come with tests, etc.? I know that some courses have writing suggestions and study guides, but what about the science courses?

I base my evaluations on labs and essay questions. Once a month or so, I have my son write an essay under test conditions.

HTH

That does help. Thanks! I ordered a used copy to peruse over the summer.

I'm not sure Rainbow would count for high school credit. It is designed for junior high students. I used Year 1 with my dd in 7th grade, and I would not have considered it a high school physical science level course.

I've been on the fence about using Rainbow for high school.. I've read in a few places that you can do that as long as you supplement with extra labs (for biology). I would welcome more input on this.. She is probably not going into a science field. I only wish I had found this curriculum a year ago.. Would have been perfect then! Now I'm trying to squeeze it in and call it high school :tongue_smilie:.. I've read that it's a good program for students who aren't very mathy or into science too much.. That would be my daughter.. I love the look of it and I *think* it even teaches the evolutionary process (from a Christian perspective?) which sort of meshes with my science style (I tend to teach both views).. I would welcome any other suggestions for 9th grade science.. I must also mention that my daughter has not had a lot of structured science (we've done interest-led science and some Apologia books over the years) so I don't think she is ready for a rigorous biology- Another reason why I'm looking at Rainbow (which would start with physical science in the 1st year)

My dd did SL Core 100 this year in 8th grade. She was not happy with most of the reading selections. She felt they were too easy for her. Every student is going to be at different levels in that department, and she is an advanced reader.

My dd is also a very advanced reader so we will see how that goes. If I need to drop a few books, then we will.. I'm also supplementing with All American History. And she has never read the Hakim books, which is something that I have always planned for her to do (but never got to it) so I definitely want her to do that.

How much writing instruction has your dd had already? While I thought the writing assignments were good in the Core 100, there was no writing instruction. There were no instructions for me on how to grade the writing assignments, which I really need. Thankfully my dd had writing instruction in some materials here at home and attended a writing class with a retired English teacher.

My dd is a VERY strong writer. She has written complete novels and has phenomenal skills in this area.. However, she has not had much writing instruction.. Just a voracious reader over the years and being involved in writing clubs (where she has received excellent feedback from adult authors and English teachers).. We have dabbled in a few programs (Lightning Lit, IEW, etc.) but she ultimately has that need to take control and do her own fiction writing that naturally flows from her non-stop creative mind! I'm ready for her to tackle more hefty assignments though in prep for college.. I haven't looked at all that Sonlight will give us (nor IEW).. So I may change my mind.. I need to spend more time looking into this before deciding, I guess.. I welcome any suggestions..

Thanks for your input!

Edited by Misty

DS: 9th grade

History (Honors): TOG Year 1 Rhetoric

English: TOG Year 1 literature Rhetoric /One Year Adventure Novel/ Killgallon Grammar for High School/The Argument Builder

Math: Chalkdust Algebra I & AoPS Intro to Algebra

Science: Chemistry w/ Lab (homeschool class taught at a local private college)

Foreign Language: Latin for the New Millennium I/ OSU German I/ Mounce Greek

P.E.: fencing/running

Music: Piano

Here is our plan for 9th:

Math-Jacob's Algebra I

Latin-Henle Latin I

French-Breaking the Barrier for French I

English-Practical English for grammar, various resources for writing, SAT vocabulary flashcards

Logic-Traditional Logic I

Science-Introduction to Physics and Chemistry (Kolbe Academy)+some Nature Study

History/Literature/Art/Geography/Government-

Ancient Greece

American History I

Piano

We're moving soon, so I'm still unsure of what other extras she may do.

Here's our 11th grade next year:

BJU United States History

BJU Writing & Grammar 11/American Literature

BJU Chemistry

BJU Spanish 3

All of the above will include the DVD instruction.

Algebra 2 ~ Still on the fence about curriculum. After a year of BJU Geometry (loved it!), we will take a quick run through Algebra 1 this summer to review before moving on to Algebra 2. BJU Algebra 2 looks like it may be difficult for dd. I may finish up Videotext since I own it and looks like she can get through it.

Government/Constitution ~ co-op

Culinary Arts ~ co-op

Physical Education ~ Swimming, kayaking, rock climbing, snow skiing

My dd is also a very advanced reader so we will see how that goes. If I need to drop a few books, then we will.. I'm also supplementing with All American History. And she has never read the Hakim books, which is something that I have always planned for her to do (but never got to it) so I definitely want her to do that.

Sonlight Core 100 has been totally redesigned. If you have the new IG, she will be reading a very different set of books than what they had in the past. I can't review it because I haven't used it, but they moved some of the old Core 100 books down to Cores 3 and 4 or 3+4 and have lots of new ones. I know the redesign was specifically targeted to respond the all the complaints this core isn't high school worthy.

We really enjoyed Hakim History of US. I hope you have a great year with Core 100!

Biology:

Concepts and Connections – Campbell

Chemistry:

General Chemistry – Chang

Physics:

Physics: Principles with Applications – Giancoli

Are you planning to finish all three in one school year? Or do you work on them simultaneously over several years?