Menu

Ice-cream not as good anymore?

They are all cutting corners to reduce costs and increase profits. It was a sad day for me when Breyer's changed their vanilla ice cream from "milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla" to "milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, guar gum, and something else".

For an affordable brand I have found Walmart's all natural ice creams to taste better. Some of the flavors have a few more ingredients, but the basics, chocolate and vanilla, are very natural.

I also notice that other ice creams affect me more than they used to, upset stomach, jittery. The all naturals don't do that.

Yup, Edy's is the WORST. More sugar but less fat seems to be the issue. Breyers is still good, and my favorite is the Walgreen's brand ice cream, found at walgreens in the pint sizes. Very yummy. Oh, and here in the south Publix brand ice cream is also good.

They are all cutting corners to reduce costs and increase profits. It was a sad day for me when Breyer's changed their vanilla ice cream from "milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla" to "milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, guar gum, and something else".

:iagree: Breyers WAS our favorite. They ruined the flavor.

We bought an ice cream maker and make our own now.

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30BC-Indulgence-2-Quart-Automatic/dp/B0006ONQOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304610759&sr=8-2

Though I got it for quite a bit less at Costco.com a few years ago. When I read the reviews, the main complaint was that the ice cream wasn't hard and scoopable right out of the machine, which just isn't going to happen. The ice cream has to ripen in the freezer. It's not a dessert you can throw together at the last minute.

The recipes in the cookbook that come with it are pretty good too. And if you have an ice cream maker you must try this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Maple-Butter-Pecan-Ice-Cream-14208

Just be forewarned that most custard-based homemade ice creams are outrageously high in fat compared to even the really good commercial brands. . .

We bought a carton of Edy's or Breyers or something like that and it tasted terrible. We looked at the carton and realized it wasn't ice cream it was "frozen dairy dessert". Yuck!

What the dickens is "frozen dairy dessert" supposed to mean :confused:

What the dickens is "frozen dairy dessert" supposed to mean :confused:

I found this online:

"As of 2008, most of Dreyer's ice cream has been reformulated with cheaper whey or skim milk among the two chief ingredients rather than cream and milk, though both are still present in smaller quantities.[11] These particular flavors are labeled as 'frozen dairy dessert' rather than ice cream."

Yup-this. They're cutting costs and making it gross.

I won't buy Edy's or Breyer's anymore. :ack2:

I really like Blue Bell, but it's almost never on sale, so we don't have it too often.

Mostly, I buy Publix Premium ice cream now. It's better than Edy's but the quality seems to vary batch to batch.

Edited by bonniebeth4

I found this online:

"As of 2008, most of Dreyer's ice cream has been reformulated with cheaper whey or skim milk among the two chief ingredients rather than cream and milk, though both are still present in smaller quantities.[11] These particular flavors are labeled as 'frozen dairy dessert' rather than ice cream."

Yuck! Skim milk is mostly water. No point to ice cream without the cream and real milk. If I wanted a water based product, I'd get sorbet.

One word--Tillamook. :)

:iagree:

Tillamook is one of the best! Helps that I live close enough to go to their cheese factory and get what ever flavor I want! :D

I also love Trader Joe's vanilla. So yummy. And the Hagaen Dazs Five is good stuff too. Basically the more natural, simpler ingredients are better. Then just toss on some yummy topping and you are set. Right now we are loving Trader Joe's Mango Butter (really like a sauce) on top of vanilla. So perfect and light!

I don't really like a heavy ice cream with lots of stuff mixed in. I'd prefer a sprinkling or small pour of something else over the top. Makes me a lot less sick feeling.

I've noticed this too on the rare occasion we buy store ice cream. Usually we make it at home using raw cream. Holy moly, raw cream makes a HUGE difference. We have an old Donvier ice cream maker that still works after 20 some-odd years. You probably could find one at Goodwill or other thrift store if you keep an eye out.

We have a manual ice cream maker (http://www.amazon.com/Donvier-837409W-1-Quart-Cream-Maker/dp/B00006484E/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1288975111&sr=1-21 ) which we love.

Ice cream has been on a steady decline here for probably 10 years. DH is an ice cream junky, so we bought the ice cream maker 5 or 6 years ago (and for much less than $60!) The recipes that it comes with aren't bad, assuming they're the same, but it has a lemon sherbet recipe that is fantastic if you use mixed citrus juices (2 orange and one each lemon and lime).

Our son is very allergic so we do not bring any dairy into the house (we had an incident because DH is apparently a sloppy eater :glare:) so DH goes to Marble Slab now. They sell takehome pints as well. It definitely has a homemade texture and taste.

What is Dreyer's ice cream? Is that just a typo?

Thanks for this thread. I was wondering why I didn't like the last tub I purchased.

I spend a few hours in the gym every week. I'm not eating A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G that doesn't taste divine. I'm not going to be buying what used to be my favorite any longer, Breyer's French Vanilla. I bought some recently and I thought I just didn't enjoy it because I don't eat ice cream that much any longer. Yuck.

The CSR told me they added tara gum, a natural flavor, as a stabilizer so the product sticks together. (I wish I had thought to tell him that it was sticking just fine without the tara gum).

He kept cutting me off and I kept cutting him off. I told him, "Well, I don't like it and it tastes different now." He stated that it is natural and comes from a tree and has no taste. I answered that it has a taste and I don't like it and I'm not buying it any more. I told him I had friends that have noticed the taste and they dislike it too. I didn't tell him I was talking about virtual friends. :)

I'm sure I'll find something else with the help of this thread.

I don't have the space for an ice cream maker nor the time but I'll find something with just a few ingredients again. :)

Edited by Karen FL
Spelling error

I'm currently OBSESSED with Ben & Jerry's Creme Brulee. I won't say anymore.

Oh my ... sounds like heaven/ :D

We can't get Tillamook and many other yummy brands mentioned here. Although I did used to live in the PacNW, and I do miss those fabulous ice creams. Don't miss the weather, mind you. :)

We're going to South Wales later this summer, where I grew up. No ice cream in the world has been what this was for me. Unless, of course, if my taste has changed, which I sincerely doubt.

joes-1.jpg

Butterfly+Lullaby+fairies+love+Joes+Ice+Cream+Swansea+so+does+Sharon+J.+Bainbridge+Best+Ice+Cream+in+the+world.jpg

I just think that most things, particularly dairy, taste better in Europe, PacNW, and Ne Zealand, etc. Maybe because cows are grass-fed and less garbage in their stuff - no HFCS, etc.

Do some searching on how much air is added to the different brands, this will be a real eye opener. Dh worked with someone for a while who was an engineer in the food industry, it ruined store bought ice cream for him.

An ice cream maker is on our wants list once we finish getting our house in order.

And while we're at it, I realized recently that I haven't truly enjoyed anything from Baskin Robbins in years. YEARS! We have one by our house, and go there maybe once a month for convenience's sake. But no matter what flavor I try, I always leave feeling very dissatisfied and like I just wasted my calories.

I used to love Baskin Robbins up until maybe 10-15 years ago. I've been contemplating . . . did they change/cheapen their product, or have my taste buds somehow changed? :bigear:

And while we're at it, I realized recently that I haven't truly enjoyed anything from Baskin Robbins in years. YEARS! We have one by our house, and go there maybe once a month for convenience's sake. But no matter what flavor I try, I always leave feeling very dissatisfied and like I just wasted my calories.

I used to love Baskin Robbins up until maybe 10-15 years ago. I've been contemplating . . . did they change/cheapen their product, or have my taste buds somehow changed? :bigear:

I only have B&R when pregnant, pretty much, so I'm a bad judge. And I only get Pralines and Cream. Wolf loves the PBC (Peanut Butter Chocolate) though.

One word--Tillamook. :)

OMG YES! We just moved out of state and I am now scouring the grocery stores looking for it! Their cheese I've got, sour cream I finally found last week but I still haven't located their ice cream. I suppose I could go to their site. I feel kind of dumb now and am going to go :leaving:

DH said that Breyer's changed when they were bought by Unilever.

We love Tilamook cheese so I thought maybe I would hunt down some ice cream, guess not.

Ingredients in Vanilla Bean, the other flavors were worse. Bummer.

Nonfat Milk, Cream, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Contains less than 2% of the following: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Cellulose Gum, Mono- and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan, Vanilla, Vanillin, Vanilla Bean Seeds.

And if you have an ice cream maker you must try this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Maple-Butter-Pecan-Ice-Cream-14208

Just be forewarned that most custard-based homemade ice creams are outrageously high in fat compared to even the really good commercial brands. . .

That sounds divine. I'm going to try a low-carb version of that this summer.