Menu

Low blood sugar, breakfast, morning chores and school schedules (will you share?)

We conquered this with a snack before breakfast! My kids grab a quick bite of dry cereal or a multi grain cereal bar and a glass of (rice) milk. Then they do their chores before breakfast. I usually make eggs and waffles or pancakes or oatmeal. So while this is cooking, they are choring. We then have breakfast, they brush teeth, and then school starts at 9:30-10ish. We finish around 12:30 and have lunch.

First, make sure the child's room is clean at bedtime. That allows for minimal a.m. chores (get dressed, make bed, dirty clothing in hamper, wash face, comb hair). Breakfast includes mom reading some schoolwork aloud so it's done, dishes in dishwasher and brush teeth, leave the house for a walk immediately after that. Start school immediately upon return. Any chores that remain are done before outdoor recess at lunchtime or before play time after school. If a shower is needed, do it after lunch recess (before lunch) or after school before leaving for outside activities or playtime.

Oops! I missed the low blood sugar part. Does she eat nuts? A handful of nuts is a great pick-me-up for low blood sugar times, as they have both protein and fat. She could eat a few nuts when she gets up to get her going for the few chores, as well as mid-morning if she slows down. Other protein snacks are good, too - cheese cubes, a glass of milk, some sliced meat.

Edited by klmama

Eat breakfast earlier?

All three of my boys have blood sugar issues in the morning. They sometimes help themselves to an apple or cup of milk as soon as they get out of bed.

We all eat breakfast together before starting the day. (We get up around 7-7:30 and eat breakfast at 8.) I make toast or muffins or pancakes, with eggs and fruit. We take about 20-30 minutes to eat breakfast together. Then the boys clear their plates, do their chores and play until time to start school at 9:00.

I'd try a bedtime snack, too, to see if it helps her to feel better in the morning. My youngest ds came to the table pretty shaky this morning because he didn't eat much dinner the night before and I had forgotten to give him a snack. Usually I'll give him a piece of cheese or a piece of wheat toast and a cup of milk. Or a banana and some wheat crackers. He wakes up much more easily if we make sure he's well-fed the night before.

Cat

We modified our "chores before/after breakfast" a few years ago and this works very well for us (usually!!):

Before breakfast:

--shower (younger take bath if wet bed)

--make bed (or start wash load if necessary)

--jammies to laundry room basket (right side out)

--dress, including shoes/sox (I like this for those days in case we end up are racing out the door)

I agree with klmama about making sure the room is neat at bedtime. After breakfast (limited to 20min) - then teeth brushing, kitch/din room 5-min clean up & Bible time, then chores (30min approx).

I also like klmama's brisk walk right after breakfast!!

Lisaj, mom to 5

my dd has a piece of fruit first thing in the morning. She then fills her guinea pig water and gives them a treat, usually half an orange. She lets the small dogs out and wipes their feet, then goes outside to open up the chickens, collects the eggs, gives fresh water and replenishes food; bringing the greyhound with her. She then goes out to the barn to get her rooster and put him out in a pen. She wipes the greyhound's feet and comes inside.

We gab for a few and then she's ready for breakfast. I like her to wait half an hour after she eats her fruit. Sometimes she will have tea during that time. Then she will eat breakfast and we're ready for our day. Sometimes I will do history reading during breakfast (a treat, because *I* am not the morning person!) and it's one less thing to do later on.

Once school is finished, usually before lunch but sometimes we have to do science or history after lunch, she has her afternoon chores to do if it's a home day. If it's not a home day, we eat and rush out of the house.

She is responsible for letting the dogs out 3 x per day, washing all towels, washing her sheets and underwear/socks, feeding her cat and cleaning the litterbox, keeping her room clean, all care of her guinea pigs (cage cleaned on Friday, partially cleaned on Tuesdays) chickens and rooster, cleaning up after herself. The last one is the biggest issue at the moment. :glare: She and I do the barn chores together after dinner.

Of course I am aware that there is more to it than this. We all need to get up earlier in the morning and I need to get started earlier in the morning and spend more time paying attention to my kids, having my chores and breakfast ready, etc. But when I do this DD still causes problems with her constant complaints of being hungry and I can never successfully stick to a schedule, so I am wanting to address this when I start trying a schedule again.

So thanks for sharing your suggestions. :)

I agree that she needs to eat as soon as she gets up. I would also suggest that protein be a part of what she eats. Many cereals and granolas have nuts as part of them or even adding milk will give protein. Or having a yogurt or slice of cheese. If cooking time is an issue, cook an egg the night before and warm up for 20 seconds in the microwave in the morning.

(I wouldn't do chores or school until I had breakfast either.)

I have the problem your daughter has: I can't do much before I have breakfast. :( So, for us, breakfast is first and it lasts 15-20 min, so not a huge time commitment. Granted, it's a bowl of cereal with milk, but it works for me. Then it's off to do everything else. I do have a snack a couple of hours later, but even then, it's a protein bar or bagel or something easy and permits multi-tasking.

I don't know if that helps or not, but my body just works better that way. :)

I'd definitely try making sure she has a snack as soon as her eyes open! I'd put a granola bar on her nightstand. (Nature Valley has these great ones that have yogurt on them, they also have these great sweet and salty peanut ones!) If she can make it to the kitchen and quickly fix something, I'd go with a hard-boiled egg or two, a cheese stick, or yogurt.

I'm exactly the opposite. If I eat within a couple of hours of getting up, I have stomach cramps all day. So, I understand being 'weird' about eating in the am!

I'd have some juice for her to drink when she wakes up, and make her morning chore to cook breakfast. The juice will hit her blood stream quickly, and will last just long enough to get breakfast made. The movement required to cook will help get her metabolism going. Breakfast needs to be heavier on the protein than the carbs, so some variation of beans and grains should help. If you soak them the night before, they don't take that long to cook up. Dhal with quinoa added in would work, so would flatbreads and hummus, chilli and cornbread, or whatever. I don't know how old your daughter is, but none of those things are too hard for a kid to learn.

While she's doing that, you do a rack of dishes and put a load of washing on, and have the other child wipe over the bathroom sink, and you're off to a good start :)

I have an annoying habit of burning breakfast so I usually boil it up for 5 mins or so, then switch it off (lid on) while I go do some stuff. I used to need to eat the minute I got up, but after a few months of legume based breakfasts, I don't need to. By the time I've done a few chores, it's finished cooking through. Your dd could make that work for her too. Boil up the beans, then switch them off while she concentrates on making the flatbreads or whatever it is. Or you could cut corners by using tinned beans and bought flatbreads. I've become snobby, so I can't :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I was going to try the snack idea, but she refuses to eat cereal because it doesn't "fill her up". :banghead: And she wants a real meal too soon, like less than an hour later?

Keep your opinions coming.

Ie. She needs protein. And if she gets enough protein she will likely not be so hungry so soon. I don't quite get the frustration over this. This is a legitimate physical need that she has.

I was going to try the snack idea, but she refuses to eat cereal because it doesn't "fill her up". :banghead: And she wants a real meal too soon, like less than an hour later?

This is how our kids are. They wake up around 6:30-7am. Granted, they are young, but they still need to eat right when they wake up. Our go-to's are:

-Plain whole milk yogurt with honey or applesauce mixed in

-Milk and banana

-Toast with butter and a glass of milk

Then, they do their morning chores, get ready for the day. While they are doing that, I get some of my own chores done and then make breakfast. We start school between 8:30 and 9am.

Have quick-to-eat food available as soon as she is up - yogurt, peanut butter on toast - anything (with protein!) that she can manage herself... I remember SWB had a blog post once inwhich she mentioned plopping a spoonful of peanut butter into a kid's cereal just to get some protein in them in the morning - and what a big difference it made to their day!

Then "second breakfast" all together later after chores.

I have to have a serving of yogurt or a glass of milk as soon as I am up, while I wait for my first cuppa tea of the day, before I do anything else (even FB!). I get a more substantial b'fast about 90 minutes later. I think it is ridiculous to expect much out of anyone without they get to "break their fast" first.

Edited by JFSinIL

Ie. She needs protein. And if she gets enough protein she will likely not be so hungry so soon. I don't quite get the frustration over this. This is a legitimate physical need that she has.
Two reasons:

1. Most of the snacks that people in this thread are suggesting do not have enough protein or what-have-you for her.

2. Because today I fed her eggs, sausage, and cantaloupe and she said she was hungry less than 2 hours later. I just don't get it. :confused:

Plus it seems that if there is something else going on, like when she has dance class, or goes with her dad for the day... it isn't as big of an issue. She is just so hungry she is sick when she is with me... not for anyone else.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

You could try a more substantial cereal - not the puffed up sweetened kind, but something based on whole grains, oats, with nuts and dried fruits, with milk or yoghurt. This can make a real meal.

If she refuses, she is not really hungry and is playing a power game - in which I would refuse to engage. If she is truly hungry, she will eat what you offer.

are you giving her adequate fats for breakfast? I agree that protein is necessary, but if she's not getting enough fats, or if she's eating a high carb breakfast, she's going to be hungrier sooner.

How about trying to prepare for breakfast burrito and/or breakfast pizza where you have all the trimmings ready the night before (can this be her chore?) and then you just assemble in the morning? Stir fry the chopped onion/veggies, add some refried beans and cheese, avacado/guacamole (if she likes), cheese and avacado having enough fat to carry her. Breakfast pizza with toppings with enough fat to carry her. Strata, crockpot oatmeal made over night, add nuts, butter and whole milk again with enough fats to carry her.

If she's hungry soon I'm thinking that she may have an issue with processing carbs, AND/OR she's not getting enough fats. My rail thin dd does not do well on a high carb diet. When we sought the advice of a nutritionist, I thought dd would STARVE on the diet she was put on. She didn't, and I'm certain it's because there were adequate fats to carry her until the next meal.

Also, if your dd is eating an hour later, that's not giving her digestive system enough time to do it's work and give a break. She should be having enough of the right kind of food to carry her 1.5 hours minimum before she needs a snack.

If your family is happy sleeping in later, why would that have to change? I don't think it needs to, but adjustments need to be made so she can get her chores done.

I have a very dear friend who's husband works nights. She keeps her kids up until at least midnight so that the little ones aren't making noise and waking her husband up the next day. They have a very unusual schedule but it WORKS for them, and it gives them more family time together! That's the beauty of homeschooling. If your SCHEDULE works but you need your dd to be more disciplined with chores, then just work on the chores.

I hunderstand blood sugar because I have hypoglycemia. It's weird, though, because I HATE to eat within the first hour or two of getting out of bed. I do feel much better, however, having adequate protein and fat. That has made a HUGE difference in me. If I eat cereal, pancakes or waffles for breakfast, I'm pretty much toast for the rest of the day. I need to make sure I'm having eggs and bacon, or the likes, on the rare occasion I have waffles or pancakes.

You'll get there!

Edited by Denisemomof4

I am sorry. I started this thread out just trying to get a feel for morning schedules and it is about so much more. My details are all over the place and not making sense.

I am also frustrated because she is trying to lose weight... and well... portion sizes are small when you are trying to lose weight.

Sausage patties, eggs and cantaloupe... is that a bad meal? Should I have added toast and/or milk? How much of each would you serve your kids? That is a lot of calories!:001_huh:

I am sorry. I started this thread out just trying to get a feel for morning schedules and it is about so much more. My details are all over the place and not making sense.

I am also frustrated because she is trying to lose weight... and well... portion sizes are small when you are trying to lose weight.

Sausage patties, eggs and cantaloupe... is that a bad meal? Should I have added toast and/or milk? How much of each would you serve your kids? That is a lot of calories!:001_huh:

She's 9 and trying to lose weight???? I would give her a balanced breakfast and up the exercise if needed.

Two reasons:

1. Most of the snacks that people in this thread are suggesting do not have enough protein or what-have-you for her.

2. Because today I fed her eggs, sausage, and cantaloupe and she said she was hungry less than 2 hours later. I just don't get it. :confused:

Plus it seems that if there is something else going on, like when she has dance class, or goes with her dad for the day... it isn't as big of an issue. She is just so hungry she is sick when she is with me... not for anyone else.

well, my dd is like this as well. She never goes longer than two hours before she eats again. The only difference is that she's like this no matter who she's with. People can't BELIEVE how much and how often she eats, and yet she has issues GAINING weight. How I wish I were HER!!!

I do think that they have more time to think about food when at home, but really, sausage and eggs should have carried her through, but carrying her through for two hours is, in my opinion, good. My dd11 CAN NOT go longer than two hours without eating. If we're out and busy she will, but if I forget to pack snacks, it's an issue with her.

If your dd is at home with her dad all day, I'm sure she'd be the same way. Do you think she has bigger meals when she goes away with him for a day?

My dd11 is also hungry until she is sick. It's really who she is it's not something she can help.

To that breakfast I'd add some fiber. Something like double-fiber whole grain bread toast, or a small bowl of high-fiber cereal (preferably the slow-cooked grain kind, steel cut oats or bulgher wheat, etc) or a high-fiber (homemade) muffin or pancakes. Again, smallish serving to go with the high-protein portion of the meal.

Have you taken this blossom to the doctor?

a) a child of 9 trying to lose weight is a major issue if not necessary, and if necessary, the child needs to be taught about food and what is best to keep her body working.

b) blood sugar issues, if this is a major issue as you seem to be saying, a doctor will be able to give you some professional advice and actually test where your daughters blood sugar levels are at.

There is obviously much more to this than appears, but please for your daughters sake seek some professional advice.

My kids, especially my ds, are like this. I usually fix them a second breakfast at around 9:30 or 10. It works for us. If I didn't want to whip up some eggs at that time, then I would probably just require a beefier breakfast with their father (eggs or some such).

First, my kids eat every 2-3 hours no matter what. My ds burns through more food than you can imagine--he eats far more than I do, and I shudder when I think of his needs in the teenage years. My ds will eat things like eggs and sausage and fruit and then need more food 2-3 hours later. I try to insist that his meals include both protein and fruit each time.

Second, though, I am concerned about a 9yo trying to lose weight. Could you share what she eats through the day? Also, does she get any exercise? Did your doctor recommend dieting for her?

It sounds quite frustrating--please understand that no one is judging. We are puzzling through this with you.

I don't have any clue about her weight situation, but I really need to eat every 2-3 hours pretty much regardless of what I've eaten earlier. So, I eat smaller portions more times per day and I've accepted it as a fact of life.

I do choose cereal carefully. Usually it's half total, half kashi go lean which has protein. Juice sends my blood sugar through the roof and then it plummets, so for me juice is totally out. Fruit is also hard for me first thing in the morning because of the sugar. For me, peanut butter and toast would work or cheese toast. My snacks usually have protein and fat, such as pb crackers, a small bagel with some cream cheese or a protein/granola bar. It may really be trial and error, but you can make some good guesses and try to have reasonable expectations while you figure it out. Don't give up!!!

We conquered this with a snack before breakfast! My kids grab a quick bite of dry cereal or a multi grain cereal bar and a glass of (rice) milk. Then they do their chores before breakfast. I usually make eggs and waffles or pancakes or oatmeal. So while this is cooking, they are choring. We then have breakfast, they brush teeth, and then school starts at 9:30-10ish. We finish around 12:30 and have lunch.

This is almost exactly what we do!! Seems to work the best here...

1. I'd take her to the doctor, if you haven't already, to make sure there's not some kind of thyroid or sugar issue and to make sure your weight loss plan is appropriate and the best for her.

2. I had a doctor tell me once that I should eat 1 tbsp peanut butter on 1 slice whole wheat bread at bedtime. It will help with your morning blood sugar issue. Now I add about 1/2 tsp honey to that to sweeten it. Honey is excellent for you and doesn't raise the blood sugar in a bad way.

3. If you think she's using food issues to manipulate you then you need to nip that in the bud. "Nope, sorry, let's get xyz done and THEN we can eat. Here let me help you." The doctor visit should either confirm or deny this.

4. Try looking at The Zone diet. I like the way it explains why we need to combine protien, carbs & fat and the ratios to do it. Your breakfast was lacking a complex carb; toast, waffle. I feel so much better if I have 1-2 eggs and 2 slices of toast with peanut butter on one and cinnamon sugar on the other. It's my favorite breakfast. Cream of Wheat might be an option, if you make it with milk you have protein, then you have the wheat. An apple with peanut butter and nuts is also a good breakfast.

5. Change her milk to a lower fat % so she can drink more. Milk is healthy, but full fat milk has more calories than reduced fat. Keep in mind that children need higher levels of fat than adults and make sure she gets healthy fats.

I hope all this helps, but I would definitely talk to a doctor.

:grouphug::grouphug:

ETA: move the chores around to breaks in schooling. Prioritize for what matters most to you. In your situation mine would be: Daughter's health, school work, chores.

Thank you everyone. I have been wanting to check her blood sugar. We don't have insurance, so checking on all of this would be very expensive. I hate Western Medicine and would be reluctant to take her even if we did have insurance. If I take her to the ND it will result in multiple supplements to take and she never cooperates with that. Sigh. I guess I do need to do something though.

She showed interest in joining me on my Curves weight loss plan. My plan counts cantaloupe and berries as low-carb. She probably shouldn't be avoiding carbs altogether. I got the book Trim Kids, but that plan is so low on vegetables and allows too many carbs and deserts like pudding. I just don't respect that at all.

I went on a food-combining diet on the advice of my doctor and it was awful. I was to eat protein and starches separated by 3 hours. I was always hungry, even immediately after eating. That Zone diet sounds smart, and adding carbs to her b-fast is probably one thing I should be doing.

Include some grains in her breakfast, but not too much. Try 3/4 of a cup and see how she goes. Also, give her a carby snack two hours later, and again two hours after lunch, like fruit, a bread roll, some popcorn, or all three if she's that desperate. Think how great it is that she's learning how her personal biochemistry works at such an early age. You're saving her hours and hours of reading threads on here about in her future. :tongue_smilie:

That doesn't mean she doesn't need it when she's out and about. It just means she's not noticing she needs it because she has something else to bring her out of her grumbles.

Seriously, when I was 9, I was eating two large bowls of stew for dinner and I only weighted 12kg. Some kids have hollow legs :D It's definitely traumatic for their mother's food budget. Mum had three of us, poor woman, and Dad wondered why she couldn't save money!

Seriously, start making dhal and quinoa for breakfast and toss in a bit of extra ghee or good quality oil for the fat. You should have a happier girl within days.

Rosie

That sums it up. DD will not do any chores or school until she has had breakfast. This almost always ends up with us starting school after noon. I also try to get us out in the sun early in the day. Over half our chores are never done. Do you have any scheduling suggestions? :bigear:

I dont understand why it would take so long- how many hours of chores are there? What time does she get up?

My dd also has low blood sugar in the mornings and needs to eat. In fact we cant go anywhere mornings until she has eaten. But it takes- 15 minutes, to eat breakfast? Half an hour to do chores? This morning she is up already- its 6.45am- and she is about to have a shower, breakfast and coffee, feed the chickens, pick up the dog poo, and clorinate the pool and empty the filter- and she will be gone to catch the bus to college by 7.30 am.

I can't see that the problem is either breakfast or chores- maybe more the getting up time, and that is usually a going to bed time issue. My kids always got up at 7, had breakfast, did chores and were ready for schoolwork by 8.30 easily- even with exercise for dd. But maybe your dd has a lOT more chores?

None of my family would be able to eat this on an empty stomach without some bread to mop up all the fat. Patties, as in several?

I would definitely add some carbs and cut down meat.

Btw, I need to eat every 2-3 hours. That was also the way we all ate when I grew up: breakfast at 6:30, mid-morning meal (sandwich, yoghurt, apple) between 9 and 10, lunch between noon and 1. So i find it rather normal that she needs to eat frequently.

I agree with the pp that you should check into the zone diet. Maybe not for the specifics, but for the idea of combining proteins, fats and carbs. It is obviously written for adults, so her needs would be different, but you might get some inspiration. You can probably get the book at the library.

Also, I would think that an ND would be willing to help from a nutritional standpoint without supplements, but that's just mho.

Best wishes! :)

fwiw, two of the four of us left at home are not morning people, so we save most chores until mid-morning. we also all are working at academics or chores or music, so that no one is sitting doing nothing while someone else is working. even if it all ends up fair, it feels bad for one person to not be working while the others are.

here's what an average morning looks like:

~ 6am everyone wakes up naturally (because they go to bed early, and there are no curtains so the sun comes in : ).

- folks have "waking up time".... coffee, breakfast if they choose, reading, playing, computer time for adults. dh unloads the dishwasher while the coffee brews, i put in a load of laundry and make the bed, dh lets the dog out.

~ 7am if you haven't eaten, now is the time. i used to read aloud at breakfast, but right now i only read if they ask. once its summer, and we are having breakfast at 9:30 once its too hot to be outside, i'll read each morning again. i reboot the dishwasher and hang up the first load of laundry. dh gets ready for work and leaves.

~ 7:30 girls get ready for history, which starts for youngest at 7:50, and lasts for her until 8:30. her older sister reviews history, and does any writeathome work that she has.

~8:35 girls switch; elder does history until 9:30, younger does her morning chores (gets dressed, walks dog, makes bed).

~ 9:30 elder does her morning chores (gets dressed, feeds chickens and collects eggs, makes bed) while younger does academics. i reboot laundry

~ 10:30 younger does violin and piano practice, followed by academics, while elder does academics

~ noon: lunch, then an hour of individual reading time

~ 1:15 pm more academics, elder does violin, both do afternoon chores (putting clean laundry away, making sure they have everything they need for evening activities, spending fifteen minutes tidying their rooms, and each of them does 15 minutes as either laundry or kitchen helper at some point in the day).

~ 5pm we car school: right now, they practice for choir and voice while we drive to dance. folks dance for 1-3 hrs, depending on the day.

on days when there are music lessons, which we blessedly have down to two days a week, we take academics with us so that i work with one while the other has her lesson.

hth,

ann

i just saw you were asking about foodie things, too.

breakfast was the first meal i worked on making healthier.

we started with instant oatmeal with apples, and then went from there.

now, i make muffins with whole grains, we have oatmeal waffles, a half a bagel with whipped cream cheese (lower calories), tomatoes, onion, lox, coffee/orange juice/tea, hot oatmeal, yoghurt parfaits with granola and fruit, and occasionally eggs in some format (often omelets) with toast. (eta: minimum of 5g protein, or three of us get headaches)

calories:between 300-400.

10 am snack: calories 150. three crackers with peanut butter or cheese, a piece of fruit, a small serving of nuts

noon: 300-400 calories some days, 500-600 on big dance days, because dinner will be light so they can dance.

mid-afternoon snack: same as morning

dinner: reverse of lunch

evening: popcorn

daily total 1200-1500 for the three females, 2000 for dh

none of it works if we eat late at night, but usually we're in bed by 9, so that most days, its just fine.

hth,

ann

Also, I would think that an ND would be willing to help from a nutritional standpoint without supplements, but that's just mho.
Of course, you are right. :001_huh:<--- me, obviously. Doh!

fwiw, two of the four of us left at home are not morning people, so we save most chores until mid-morning.

i just saw you were asking about foodie things, too.

Wow thanks so much!

I have one who is an absolute bear before breakfast. I told her she needs to have a boatload of peanut butter on whole wheat toast or on a banana, or something like eggs, tuna, cheese, burrito etc before she talks to me. I can tell when she's had a waffle or cold cereal. She knows I know; it's so stinkin' obvious. lol Grrrrr.

High protein breakfasts has kept this child from being mauled by her mother. It also keeps her satisfied for hours. She learned how to make quiche a few years ago and this has made a difference. ;)

It sounds like your daughter has hypoglycemia and simply needs to eat every couple hours. I am like that. I would continue serving a high protein item with fruit for breakfast. Then plan a snack balancing protein and carbs 2 hours later (yogurt and granola - low sugar only, apple and peanut butter, cheese and crackers, carrots and hummus, etc.) Yes, there are times when I can be distracted by it, but then, my body pays for it later. My oldest son eats all day long. I don't restrict his eating as long as he eats healthy foods and he isn't using it to procrastinate on something.

I would move many of the chores to a better time of day for her so that they don't interfere with your morning routine. Just the bare minimum (like getting herself ready and what needs to be done to make school doable like dishes etc.)

With my younger kids, I do have to ride them to keep them moving in the morning. That means that I have to be done with my morning routine before I am available to keep my slow pokes moving. They know that we start school by a certain time each day and that they need to be done with certain things by then. I have punished (taking away privileges) for bad attitudes (not just mild grumpiness due to not being fully awake yet) and for not getting a reasonable amount of their routines done.

I know when dh's blood sugar drops it's usually early in the morning. He'll get up around 5 or so and go get something to eat. Have you tried a protein heavy snack at bedtime? Maybe that would keep her blood sugar stable thru the night? I think they also make snacks for the purpose of keeping blood sugar stable thru the night.

MIL was just telling a couple days ago about when BIL was diagnosed with hypoglycemia as a kid and she had to put him on a diet. She said she'd bake their lean meat, then fix something like some green beans to go with it. What she described sounded a lot like the sugar buster's diet. She said they both slimmed up.

A slice banana bread or muffins at 6 a.m. to eat while doing math & reading. Then a big breakfast when the babies wake up at 8 a.m. with oatmeal, eggs, toast, etc.

Food could be a non-stop affair here if I let it. When the banana bread is gone, it's gone. They also like hot tea, coffee or cocoa with their early morning "pastry."

I am only speaking for my child...but banana bread for breakfast as a young child would have turned her into a pile of sobbing goo. I mean, unless the banana bread was mostly cheese and eggs or peanutbutter and avocado or something. lol

She has blood usgar issues, and I mention this because I think this is what the OP may be dealing with.

Not a doctor or anything. :D But I have found that a hardboiled egg can set the world right again.

A slice banana bread or muffins at 6 a.m. to eat while doing math & reading. Then a big breakfast when the babies wake up at 8 a.m. with oatmeal, eggs, toast, etc.

Food could be a non-stop affair here if I let it. When the banana bread is gone, it's gone. They also like hot tea, coffee or cocoa with their early morning "pastry."