Menu

How do you prepare tea?

I love green tea. I drink it both hot and cold, usually a cup a day. I also drink black tea, both hot and cold, but less frequently. At the store the other day I bought two boxes with a variety of teas, and have realized that I have no idea how to prepare them! Obviously I know to steep the bag in hot water, but with my green tea I also add honey and sugar, and just sugar to black tea. Should I add sugar or honey to these teas? Are there other things to add? How do YOU fix tea?

(OH! I have two boxes. One is a green tea collection with orange passionfruit and jasmine, lemon ginseng, honey, mint, mixed berry, and pure green tea, and the other is a a caffeine free box for evenings and DD with chamomile, lemon zinger, peppermint, honey vanilla chamomile, and sleepytime-whatever that is!)

For the amount of time to steep, I would read the instructions on the package. I generally steep less than recommended and try that.

I usually try it plain and then add sugar, honey or lemon after tasting it plain. I usually like it plain.

If you get some TeA comments, search the boards. "TeA" is a board code word.

Edited by OrganicAnn

Well, that is two warnings and a reference to TeA in less than five minutes (one through PM), you people are quick! :D

I really did know that tea was a code word on this board, but I actually did mean drinkable tea. Guess I should have clarified in my subject (and boy, what a subject to use huh?? :lol: Guess I deserve the answers you all are thinking of... :tongue_smilie:)

I drink my tea straight up without any sugar or milk. Usually steep it for the period of time says on the box.

For loose teas, same thing except in a special tea strainer dealie.

For the variety teas, try and see how it tastes first. If you don't like the taste or think it needs sugar, then add. Usually I don't you use anything.

I like Rooibos. I buy it loose leaves (which looks more like rice) and brew it with barely boiling water, let it steep for anywhere from 3 minutes to 5 minutes. I am usually anxious to get to it. :001_smile:

Then I top it with a dollop of whipping cream!!! :)

I figured you'd get a few references to the other *tea.*

I make tea in a pot using loose tea (not tea bags) as this is the way better grades are usually packaged.

Unknown by many is that different teas take different temperature water to bring out their best quality, with Black tea tolerating hotter water than Oolong and Green and White less. It really does affect the taste.

Since I don't want to take the temperature of the water as it comes to a boil I experimented with how much cold water it would take (relative to boiling water) it would take in my pot to be at the derided optimum temperature for given teas and now add cold water in that amount just before adding boiling water from the kettle and that works quite well for me.

The tea is always plain. Not completely true, as occasionally we do an Indian style spiced tea with milk, but mainly plain.

Bill

Hm. Different temperatures of water? I just want something to drink that isn't soda and isn't water! :D Seems like an awful lot of work for that... but I suppose tea worth having is tea worth working for (and take that how you will... :lol:)

I *do* think I'll experiment with looseleaf tea though. That seems like fun. Guess I need a strainer.... hm.

(And... FTR: It seems I don't like chamomile tea. Or chamomile tea with honey. Tomorrow I'll try something else, maybe something minty!)

(OH! I have two boxes. One is a green tea collection with orange passionfruit and jasmine, lemon ginseng, honey, mint, mixed berry, and pure green tea, and the other is a a caffeine free box for evenings and DD with chamomile, lemon zinger, peppermint, honey vanilla chamomile, and sleepytime-whatever that is!)

Did you get the Celestial Seasonings sampler box? If you don't like those, keep trying, because *I* don't like those and I have still turned into an (almost) exclusive tea drinker. I love fruit and juice, but I find the fruity teas to be disappointingly un-flavorful and a little....tart? And teas like sleepytime and chamomile are VERY mild, when I prefer a stronger flavor (converted coffee and soda drinker.) I do occasionally drink them, if I want a nice calm-down ritual, though all of my teas are decaffinated.

I prefer the clove flavor of chai (I don't know EXACTLY what makes up the chai label, but my best description is to compare it to cloves) which is added to almost anything...green chai, rooibois chai, etc.... And I also add milk, which, instead of watering it down, makes the drink more substantial. Probably comes from my coffee latte preferences.

Green tea does get bitter if you brew it too hot. Instead of worrying about the exact temperature, I pour water into my cup and let it cool for a few minutes and then add the tea bag.

Really, I guess my point is to keep experimenting. The word "tea" really encompasses as big of a variety of drinks as the word "soda."

I know it's not perfectly authentic, but I just make Liptons (plain black tea) in a big teapot with a teaspoon of chai spices from a jar we bought at the local Indian market. It's ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves. All ground, and I think it's nearly even quantities if you want to make your own. I add sugar and milk in the cup rather than in the pot... That's not the traditional way, but it tastes fine. :)

Other than that, I like peppermint tea (I freeze leaves from the peppermint plants that are trying to take over my yard - about 3T of packed frozen leaves to a teapot of hot water) and I like green tea, and I like sweet iced tea (Liptons again).

Did you get the Celestial Seasonings sampler box? If you don't like those, keep trying, because *I* don't like those and I have still turned into an (almost) exclusive tea drinker. I love fruit and juice, but I find the fruity teas to be disappointingly un-flavorful and a little....tart? And teas like sleepytime and chamomile are VERY mild, when I prefer a stronger flavor (converted coffee and soda drinker.) I do occasionally drink them, if I want a nice calm-down ritual, though all of my teas are decaffinated.

I did, and I will. :D I was looking for something that I could drink at night and also give DD if she wanted, which is why I picked up that box (since it was decaffeinated). I need some caffeine... kind of wish green tea had more... :D Not quite as stimulating as the Amp I drink on especially slow mornings, but better than nothing.

I'm not sure why I'm even experimenting. I really love my green tea, and I'm not a huge fan of "fruity" flavors.

I buy teabags. I fill a mug with cold water, add a teabag and sugar, and stick in the microwave for 2 minutes, 45 seconds. I remove the tea bag and drink it.

My sister has tried to reform me -- I own a teapot and one of those mesh things that holds loose tea, and directions on how to make it properly. I have never used it.

I was in a tea shop today and I heard one of the assistants tell a customer "oh no, you really shouldn't drink green tea with any sweetener." So, there you go :)

I wish I could like green tea but I cant. Unless I am at a Chinese restaurant when it always tastes good. But I cant get it to taste good.

I drink naturally low caffeine Australian black tea with milk and stevia - 2 cups every morning. I am definitely addicted to it- its the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning :)

Herbal teas- I drink dandelion coffee, which is really a tea, with milk and stevia, and also rooibos tea with milk and stevia. I have a cup or two in the afternoon- I dont have anything with caffeine beyond mid morning.

Other herbal teas like peppermint, which I only have occasionally, I can have without sweetener or with honey.

I usually drink a black tea, and almost always loose tea.

With black tea, you must have boiling water. So I have an electric tea kettle, which boils water much faster than a tea kettle on the stove.

When I'm just making a cup of tea for myself, I use a mug that has its own mesh diffuser that fits right inside. A generous teaspoon of loose tea is right for my taste buds. :-) Add boiling water, time it for 4 minutes, and I'm a happy camper.

I use Splenda and cream in my hot tea. I have used honey in the past, but I'm watching my carbs, so Splenda it is.

If I'm serving tea to several, I use a tea pot: wash it out and fill it with hot water; put the loose tea in a diffuser (about a teaspons per cup); pour out the hot water when the water in the electric tea kettle boils; put the diffuser in the pot and pour the water over; let steep for 4 minutes; remove the tea diffuser. Voila! Tasty black tea. :-) I offer Splenda to my guests, but I also serve rough-cut sugar cubes, both white and brown, because they're so cute, and cream. No lemon for hot tea. Sorry.

Right now I'm using Lipton loose tea, because it's pretty darn cheap :tongue_smilie:but turns out it's pretty darn good, too. I also like Darjeeling and English/Irish breakfast teas. I'm not so fond of Earl Grey. I have bought some very tasty flavored teas from Glenbrook Farms.

If I use teabags, I still time them for 4 minutes and remove them when they're finished steeping.

I'm not in love with most herbal teas.

I steep it for the time recommended on the package, taste it, then add a bit of sugar and sometimes milk, sometimes honey, depending on what I think it needs. I have a vanilla cookie flavored tea that doesn't taste strong enough for me, so I add a bit of vanilla extract while it is steeping.

I make green iced tea by steeping the bags in very hot, but not boiling water, for about 2-3 minutes. Then I add sugar and honey while still hot and make sure it's dissolved before I add cold water and ice. I use Green Tea w/Honey and Ginseng flavor most, but I like ones with clementine (I'll squeeze a little actual clementine juice into plain green tea sometimes) or pomegranate or berries. I like Tazo and Yogi teas, but I'm not super picky and I don't have a lot of choice in the stores around here.

But I haven't gotten to the point of drinking hot tea yet. I *forced* myself to start drinking store bought green tea until now I like it! LOL I want the health benefits. :)

I am very particular about my black iced tea. I put 1 1/2 cups of cold water in a two-cup measuring cup, and microwave for 2 minutes. I then put in 3 tea bags and set the timer for 5 minutes. I have some large beer stein-type mugs that I fill with ice, then pour the tea over. I add 1/4 tsp of sugar and stir.

This is my favorite beverage and I drink it all day long, probably more than I should but I love it and there is very little sugar or calories so I indulge.

I am not as fond of other teas or hot tea, but will drink occasionally, especially earl grey with half and half and sugar, yum!

I absolutely can't stand iced sweet tea or iced tea with lemon. I've sometimes had flavored tea at restaurants which is OK as long as it is unsweetened. I do like fruity teas or tea with lemon hot though.

I usually drink a black tea, and almost always loose tea.

With black tea, you must have boiling water. So I have an electric tea kettle, which boils water much faster than a tea kettle on the stove.

Shhhh... There is a certain person on these boards who blasted me for saying I use boiling water in my black tea. ;)

I mainly drink loose tea and a variety throughout the day. For breakfast I like Twinnings Irish Breakfast tea. From lunch to mid afternoon I drink Harney and Son's Paris blend. From late afternoon until dinner I usually switch back to Twinnings, but I like their Earl Grey. Then late evening before bed I have a cup (sometimes 2) of Good Earth's Chai tea. This is the only one I use tea bags for.

I like all my tea the English way with milk and sugar and it is steeped in my cup with one of these. I boil my water in my electric kettle.

I'm loving a hot lemon tea lately. It smells and tastes so soothing. I like green tea but I can't seem to always get it right. I'm hoping the temperature thing has been the issue. I'm going to give that a try because sometimes it's bitter and sometimes it isn't.

Green and white teas get too bitter if the water is too hot or if it steeps too long.

I use one of these to infuse my tea.

Green and white teas get too bitter if the water is too hot or if it steeps too long.

I use one of these to infuse my tea.

I used to use one of those, Mrs. Mungo.

Then a friend got me hooked on using these. They are so much easier and less messy than the balls. A little more expensive, but so worth it. The wings sit on the rim of the cup instead of using them in a tea pot.

If I am making cold tea I boil water then turn off fire and stick in tea bags (I use huge pitcher and four family size bags in a big pot of water) Then I dump the liquid in a pitcher and add some water till the pitcher is full.

If I am making hot tea I boil water in my cute kettle. Then I pour it over loose tea into my tea maker thingie. Or if I am using tea bags (all my favorite "sick" teas are in bags unless it is fresh from my garden) I just dump water in a cup and dunk the tea bag. Usually honey is involved.

I use this kind of tea maker for my hot tea. I almost always use loose tea.

632.jpg

Edited by Sis