Menu

If you use at least two smartphones in your family

We just upgraded to three smartphones and one regular phone. (Guess who has the regular one?!) We have unlimited texting and internet. 1500 combined minutes. The kids never talk - they use their phones for texting mostly, so 1500 is plenty!!

Anyway, our plan is split with dh's work (and th ekids pay for their own data package), but the total is $185. We're with Sprint and we have a discount through some volunteer work dh does.

We pay about $185 a month for two iphones and a regular phone for oldest dd. We have data plans and unlimited texting. Dh uses his for business.

What company are you with? We're paying that and we don't even have smart phones. :001_huh:

AT&T...we've been with them for about 14 years.

Ah. We've been thinking of getting iPhones and switching to AT&T, but I've been kind of nervous about our bill going up. I'm glad to see that it looks like it wouldn't go up at all. :tongue_smilie:

we just got two used droids, and DH set them up so that they only use wi-fi for internet access so we don't need a data plan. it works well enough for us, and with google voice we don't pay for texting either- but we don't get the texts until we have wi-fi access.

That's great! Can you do the same with Blackberry? Hubby loves his and doesn't want to change anything.

Verizon -- $161.26

One iphone (husband's -- business phone)

250 texts

700 shared minutes

email & web

insured at $10.99 a month (he insures his because his business is rough on a phone)

TOTAL = $113.35

One iphone (mine)

250 texts

700 shared minutes

email & web

not insured

TOTAL = $47.91

Edited by nestof3

DH handles our cell phones as they are a business expense, but I think he pays about $130 for two phones, 1,000 shared minutes, unlimited data for both phones, and 400 text messages for each. I got lucky; the only reason I have a phone is the plan came with two numbers/phones. He originally went in wanting a business plan, but this family plan provided more at a better price. Might as well use the second phone, right? Calls between us don't count against the minutes. We're with T-mobile.

We have 4 smart phones on our plan - HTC EVOs - and pay Sprint $180/mo (maybe $160...I don't have a bill in front of me) for the basic plan + $30per phone/per month.

The basic plan includes 3000 minutes with unlimited texting/unlimited data. I think our conract is 2 years.

Oh...ours is a business plan (but 3 of the 4 phones are in our family :) ), that might make a difference.

Edited by Gooblink

That's great! Can you do the same with Blackberry? Hubby loves his and doesn't want to change anything.

I really don't know. DH says that it depends on your provider- we have T-Mobile and they still let us use sim cards to switch phones, so long as it's a T-Mobile phone. But other providers use phones that have to be activated by the provider, and they don't have the cards any more. He says that the Blackberry uses a different system or something, so he doesn't know if you can change it to only connect via wi-fi or not.

Just under $200 per month with AT&T for 2 Iphones and 3 regular. We just swiched our minutes from 1400 to 700 because they started offering unlimited calls to all cells (on any carrier) with 700 minutes that would end up getting used for land line calls only. My kids call mostly cell phones, so this was a great deal for us.

Two Samsung Intercepts, each have 300 min and unlimited data. $50/month.

I know you said 2 or more but dang.. 2 of my phones is still less than all of these, lol. I have the Virgin Mobile no contract plan...forget the name. Have the Optimus v, unlimited text and web, 300 min and its only $25 a month...they have slightly higher prices for more minutes.

Looks like we have the same plan. I love having a smartphone for $25/month!

We have 1 Blackberry, 1 HTC Evo, and 2 generic small smart phones on our plan, as well as a mobile hotspot device. We have an unlimited internet/data/texting for $280 month. I'm not sure about how many minutes we have in our plan, but we haven't had any overages in about 2 years. This is with Sprint.

DH and I both have Motorola Charms (droid operating system, 3G, not 4G though...) from T-Mobile -- we paid full price for the phones so that we could do pre-paid, no contracts. Sure it was more expensive up front, but we only pay $85 a month total. I have a $50 plan (unlimited talk and text, 100 MEG of data -- if I use up my 100 MG I can opt for a $1.69 a day unlimited data, paid daily from a pre-paid account). DH has a $35 plan with 1500 talk/text and 30 MEG of data.

It's worked perfectly fine. When I'm home, I make sure I'm on Wi-Fi and that keeps the data usage way way way down.

I highly recommend T Mobile and I love love love my new phone.

Our phone plan (with AT&T):

-2 lines with 550 minutes: $70

-unlimited family texting: $30

-2gig data for dh: $25

-200mb data for me: $15

So $140 plus taxes/fees for the two of us. Dh's Android phone uses *WAY* more data than mine - I think it has something to do with the "background data" which can't be done over WiFi :glare: I don't know if we could bring him down to 200mb because of that. I've barely used any of my 200mb on my iPhone, since I'm always at home and using the WiFi. We have thousands of rollover minutes, literally. We would get a plan with fewer minutes if one existed.

we just got two used droids, and DH set them up so that they only use wi-fi for internet access so we don't need a data plan. it works well enough for us, and with google voice we don't pay for texting either- but we don't get the texts until we have wi-fi access.

Wait. I thought you HAD to have a data plan with a Droid. Or any smart phone.

We have 3 phones - 2 smartphones, one regular phone. 1400 min + the 10 free numbers dealie from AT&T. oh and unlimited texting. $175 right now after taxes, we could drop that by $30 if we both switched to the smallest data plan - so down to $155 or so. My iPhone 3g has decided to boycott wifi though so we haven't done it yet. I'll probably get a refurbished 3gs or 4 and then we'll do it and just be careful with data when out.

Our cell phones are our only splurge (and our only phones) so it's worth it to us, but it definitely is a lot per month :tongue_smilie:

Wait. I thought you HAD to have a data plan with a Droid. Or any smart phone.

Nope- we didn't buy the phones from T-Mobile, one was given to us and DH bought the other on E-bay but it is a T-Mobile phone. :D

If you buy the phone from T-Mobile then you do have to get a data plan.

We have a no-contract plan from Walmart's Family Mobile, which uses T-Mobile's network. DH and I are on a family plan that has unlimited talk and text for $70/month (ends up like $85/month with taxes and fees). We add on the data 1000 MB at a time, shared between phones. We try to use the Wi-fi when we are at home or where there is a free hotspot, so as to conserve our data use. We still use the data quite a bit, though. We averaged it out and we spend about $5/month for our data use. We use it with iphones we bought used and already jailbroken (which is legal, so no flames please).