Menu

Cookbook for newlyweds who want to cook, but don't know how?

I bought a great baking dish for one of my bosses and his new wife. I included a little pack of Penzy's spices. I want to put in a cookbook. The dh, would like to take a cooking class, so there is a willingness to learn.

I am thinking something like one of Rachel Rays, quick cook books. They both work full time.

Any suggestions?

I love love love the "New Best Recipe" by Cook's Illustrated ... it tells you how they came up with their recipes. It is my go-to cookbook.

I also have "How to Cook without a Book" and it is helpful in understanding how and why to put things together.

The Joy of Cooking, definitely. This book gives wonderful explanations of all the basics. It's a great, encyclopedic start for a new cook.

Ugh.. I find the Joy of Cooking complicated and frustrating... my husband, the gourmet cook, loves it.

America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook--this is my favorite for a beginner. Delicious but not overcomplicated recipes. Lots of pictures, step-by-step details, and equipment recommendations. There is also a healthy version now, but I haven't seen it to say if it's as good as the original.

Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer

How to Cook Everything

Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast

Cooking Light Way to Cook

Jamie's Food Revolution (Jamie Oliver)

Another vote for the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. When I first lived on my own it was a lifesaver. Lots of good info, like how to calculate the length of time to cook a roast, and to what temp. And how to scald milk. I had never heard of scalding milk until I was trying to make my husband's favorite pie for his birthday early in our marriage. You know, the one his mother made for him every year until we got married. So no pressure. :glare:

Mark Bittman has a smaller cookbook called How to Cook Everything: Quick Cooking that might be a good place to start. His big red book might be a bit overwhelming and contain too many recipes that take longer than the couple has time for on a regular basis.

My favorite cookbook was my mother's phone number! I figured she deserved all my Q's for not teaching me how to cook! (the first day home from my honeymoon I phoned her asking how to bake a potato, and off we went from there!)

My favorite cookbook was my mother's phone number! I figured she deserved all my Q's for not teaching me how to cook! (the first day home from my honeymoon I phoned her asking how to bake a potato, and off we went from there!)

"The Barefoot Contessa" by Ina Garten. She has one titled: "And how easy was that?" :)

"The Barefoot Contessa" by Ina Garten. She has one titled: "And how easy was that?" :)

Does 'the barefoot contessa' title bother anyone else? I have never been able to watch her show, due to the extreme irritation I have over her calling herself that. LOLOLOL I am soooo odd sometimes. LOLL

Sounds like this failure to cook is genetic....I think the phone may be ringing both ways if the daughter learns to cook. LOL

Mark Bittman has a smaller cookbook called How to Cook Everything: Quick Cooking that might be a good place to start. His big red book might be a bit overwhelming and contain too many recipes that take longer than the couple has time for on a regular basis.

I found a few quick books by him, I will check them out, Thanks!

Another vote for the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. When I first lived on my own it was a lifesaver. Lots of good info, like how to calculate the length of time to cook a roast, and to what temp. And how to scald milk. I had never heard of scalding milk until I was trying to make my husband's favorite pie for his birthday early in our marriage. You know, the one his mother made for him every year until we got married. So no pressure. :glare:

Yes, Better Homes and Gardens cookbook is great.

I highly recommend the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook with the red plaid cover. It has a big section explaining all the different tools and ingredients. Then it's full of basic recipes. (things like white sauce, pancakes, etc.) I have one for each of my girls to take with them when they get married.

I have an extra, used copy I can give them ahead of time, thanks for the idea!

America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook--this is my favorite for a beginner. Delicious but not overcomplicated recipes. Lots of pictures, step-by-step details, and equipment recommendations. There is also a healthy version now, but I haven't seen it to say if it's as good as the original.

Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer

How to Cook Everything

Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast

Cooking Light Way to Cook

Jamie's Food Revolution (Jamie Oliver)

I will check these out, I know he wants to lose a smidge or 30. LOL I don't know if she will like me giving her any book that implies 'cooking light'. LOL She may not take inference from it, but you never know. One of my favorite cook books is from the Cooking Light series, maybe I will have to 'loan' them one and see how that is taken first.

I like A's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country, due to the explanations of why they do things like how to saute a mushroom-don't let them touch, or don't add garlic too soon or it will scorch. I like the science behind the cooking....he is a pharmacist and she is a pharm tech. this may be a good one!

The Joy of Cooking, definitely. This book gives wonderful explanations of all the basics. It's a great, encyclopedic start for a new cook.

Good book, but too much, too soon. Maybe an anniversary present. :001_smile:

:iagree:

:iagree: or a Cook's Illustrated cookbook.

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

I dislike the celebrity chefs cookbooks. Everything sounds good, but they all have ingredients I don't have and can't get or they are too complicated. Any chef on TV I wouldn't get their Cookbook.

Sounds like I need this one for myself. I think I will get and then decide if I want to give them a copy too.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help. I like cookbooks, but don't have many in the very, basic first steps series. I have always liked books from the 50's pre-add-a-box-of-this-to-that. I don't think she will want to wade through meat jello molds, to find the good recipes. LOL

My mom gave me a big Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (hardback) for a wedding gift. I like it because it gives descriptions of what to do with a chicken, for instance. It doesn't just give recipes - it helps explain what to look for, how to prepare these things. That is what a beginning cook needs, IMO. Anyone can follow a recipe who can read...it's the other stuff that some folks are lacking.

I highly recommend the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook with the red plaid cover. It has a big section explaining all the different tools and ingredients. Then it's full of basic recipes. (things like white sauce, pancakes, etc.) I have one for each of my girls to take with them when they get married.

I agree, this is an excellent basic cookbook. If you don't know how to cook, book like Mark Bittman's are not helpful. I like his stuff, but often there are ingredients that I can't get or are pricey. Alton Brown's has multi-step dishes that look hard, or maybe, just look like a lot of work.:001_smile:

I also Like Cooking More with Less, which is a MCC cookbook. It has a lot of basic recipes that are easy and inexpensive to make. I think you can find it on Amazon.

I agree. This one is great for a beginner. It is very simple. It has a section for quick cooking. It has recipes for the most basic things and how to dress them up once you get better at cooking. The Joy of Cooking may be a little too hard for a beginner.

Sounds like I need this one for myself. I think I will get and then decide if I want to give them a copy too.

We bought the Bittman book at the suggestion of my mom, and out of all of the basic how-to books (BH&G, Martha Stewart Cooking School, and the one by Jaques Pepin), this is the one we use the most. I have never had any problems w/finding ingredients for his recipes :confused:. We also are fairly basic people, so we don't really go for crazy things. I have purchased the Bittman book for my MIL and for BIL/SIL as a wedding present, and they have enjoyed using it.

Does 'the barefoot contessa' title bother anyone else? I have never been able to watch her show, due to the extreme irritation I have over her calling herself that. LOLOLOL I am soooo odd sometimes. LOLL

:lol: Don't really know why she chose this moniker but I heard many people rave over her books and recently purchased one for a young friend of mine who loves to cook. She told me she loved the book and found wonderful recipes in it.

Bittman also has a "How to cook everything Vegetarian" if they have a Vegetarian leanings. I also have a Better Homes - plaid cover. And it is a good cookbook. I find that sometimes they do start with premade items - like purchased dough etc. But even better is my grandmothers 1961 Betty Crockers New Picture cookbook. I love that they have separate sections for Pies, Cakes, Desserts, Cookies, Candy etc.

:lol: Don't really know why she chose this moniker but I heard many people rave over her books and recently purchased one for a young friend of mine who loves to cook. She told me she loved the book and found wonderful recipes in it.

As I understand it, The Barefoot Contessa was the name of a gourmet/specialty food store in the Hamptons. Ina Garten purchased the (already named) store and ran it for a long time. The moniker stuck.

I love her cookbooks. The food is beautiful, easy, tastes good, and the recipes are all pictured. One of the things I'm "known" for at my church is from her Parties! cookbook (the chocolate ganache cake is so easy and so good!)

I didn't recommend them because they're not my go-to for learning to cook books. Another beautiful, good food cookbook I love is Everyday Food from the Martha Stewart empire :)

Sometimes people don't really want to have it implied that they are lacking the basics, even when they are. So a cookbook that has all really, really good recipes for stuff that everyone actually wants to eat, along with engaging explanations of exactly how to make these spectacular might be just the thing. Here are two like that:

Cafe Beaujolais Cooking -- This is a sort of autobiographical cookbook by a woman who moved to Mendocino, a magical place, and opened a restaurant that became a draw for the whole, already artsy and upscale, town. The food is a delightful cross between comfort food and Chez Panisse. Kind of CP'-ish but accessible. I have never had a recipe from this cookbook go wrong, and the techniques are well-described, with asides that warn, for instance, against over-mixing baking powder recipes. This is a great way to learn by doing.

Beat This -- This cookbook has the very best of breed recipes for a non-unified collection of things to make. It is like getting your mom's recipes (assuming your mom liked to cook, which mine most emphatically did not) all marked up with the best refinements she implemented over years of making them. For instance, the blueberry muffin recipe calls for frozen blueberries specifically, and says why (the color doesn't bleed, and the blueberries stay more intact). It calls for using powdered sugar instead of flour as a release material when rolling out dough for sugar cookies, one of the best and yet least common tips I have learned in my whole life. The recipes are not difficult or obscure, and they are precise enough to really turn out well consistently.

The nice thing about each of these books is that the recipes are consistently not too hard, well described, and turn out just enough better than 'normal' to make you feel like quite a pro.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I love love love Jamie Oliver. My favorite of his books is Food Revolution. It's full of great simple recipes, that can be made quickly. His trademark is teaching people to cook who have never cooked before. He even starts by telling you what staples to have in your cupboard when you are starting out, plus there's Veggie, Indian, Italian, British, Thai recipes - bit of everything.