Menu

Which math curriculum do you use for Algebra?

Which math curriculum do you use for high school (algebra?)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which math curriculum do you use for high school (algebra?)

• ABeka
    • Key to series
    • Life of Fred
    • Math-U-See
    • Saxon
    • Singapore
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • Videotext
    • Other/ please describe

I used MUS for Dd and she did great but she is math smart. I didn't push harder because she was going to be a dance major and knew she wouldn't need a hard math course. Ds started with MUS. At the High School level we began to notice that problems were being given but how to do them had not been explained. Dd could figure it out, Ds sounds like yours and didn't do well although he did complete it. We used TT for Geometry a choice I deeply regret. He almost forgot all of it. Than I finally took Jann's advice. I'd been thinking about it for a long time but we had been die hard MUS fans. I had Ds do it for Alg 2 and he began to love math and excelled in it. I so wish I had started him with Lial's. He went on to use it for Pre-Calculus as well. We found it very clear to understand and every concept very well explained. Never needed to use DVT's and he made great grades on the test. I really think it's a great book especially for someone who is not that math savvy.

Oldest used VideoText

2nd used LoF Beginning and Advanced Algebra for Algebra 1. He then went to a Christian Boarding school for 10th and 11th (finishing that up now). In 10th he took Geometry, and this year is doing McDougall/Littell Algebra 2 (not sure which book they used for Geometry).

Youngest hit a wall and is struggling with Math right now. She's sort of using TT, supplementing with Key To... stuff. However, based on Jann's rec's I ordered Lial's, and may just go back and do some BCM for review starting now, then go on to the Introductory Algebra when we're done with the BCM review.

I voted for both LOF and other, since we don't use just one book for Algebra. My eldest did Lial's and then Dolciani's Structure and Method. My middle dd did LOF and then was doing Foerster's, but she is currently doing Key to Algebra, and I forgot to vote for it. I should add that my middle one has been lobbying to go to ps next year, and just placed into the honours Algebra 1 class, since she'll be going to the high school for gr 8 (but the gr 8 kids don't do classes, etc, with the older dc). I have mixed feelings about this.

My personal favourite is Gelfand's Algebra, though. My least favourite is TT. Saxon is a poor fit here, so my eldest switched away from Saxon when it was time for Algebra. I think that Lial's and the old Dolciani are both very strong, but that you can get a lot more resources to go with the Lial's.

Edited by Karin

My personal favourite is Gelfand's Algebra, though. My least favourite is TT.

Karin- can you please tell me why you didn't like TT? I've never heard of Gelfand's... what do you like about it, and what kinds of kids is it geared towards? Thanks!

I didn't vote because we are only in pre-algebra right now. I will tell you that we have used Saxon from 3rd grade up and loved it. It has worked really well for my ds. For pre-algebra we are using Lial's (because of all the good reviews it has on this board). So far my ds is liking it as well. He isn't far enough into it to decide if he likes it better than Saxon.

So...long story short, we will be using Lial's or Saxon for Algebra. It will be my son's choice =D

What edition of Lial's Alg 1 do you use? What supplements (DVDs, tests, etc.) do you use with it, and where did you find them?

I am totally on the fence for Alg 1. I own both BJU Alg1 with DVDs, and Chalkdust. I also have access to use Saxon for free. I have never used or seen a Lial's text, so I am a bit leery, but also intrigued because so many use it with success. I am NOT a math teacher. At all. I need something that will teach my ds Alg without also needing a lot of help from me. My ds is not mathy, he is an average-joe in regards to math.

Is there a sample of Lials online somewhere?

Ack, I feel so paralyzed and at a loss on what to use. :glare:

Melissa, dd used Life of Fred last year and stalled half way through. We reviewed the chapter, and she still did not get it at all. We restarted algebra this year using Lial's. I am not a math teacher. I took algebra in jr. high, and retook it in 9th grade, and our school did not require any additional math to graduate.:glare:

I do sit with my dd to go over lessons because she often gets paralyzed by math, and she prefers I read the lessons to her (very auditory). Lial's is easy to understand because it's a remedial text for college students. There are enough examples and samples as you go through each lesson, followed by a lot of exercises at the end of each section/lesson. Answers are given only for odd numbered exercises; while the work is not shown in the answer key, there have only been a few that either dd or I have not been able to figure out.

For awhile I was using Great Courses algebra as a supplement, but we dropped it. (For one thing, we couldn't stand the teacher.) Lial's has a wonderful, free online help for each odd numbered problem (see http://www.interactmath.com). Pretests, tests, and reviews are included in the Lial's book.

Seach on the high school board for Jann in TX's posts about ISBN numbers. I believe she suggests one of two editions for algebra; I have the Introductory Algebra 8th ed. It's been my experience to get the used books per Jann's suggestions at very decent prices ($10-25). It's imperative to have the right ISBN though. I bought it book used at amazon and had a very difficult time getting the exact book that was represented (even confirming with one seller that the ISBN matched, and when I received it, found that it did not).

Lial's Algebra has worked so well for us this year that my younger ds will use their BCM (Basic College Math) next year for 8th grade. Different programs work for different people; this one works for us!

Melissa, dd used Life of Fred last year and stalled half way through. We reviewed the chapter, and she still did not get it at all. We restarted algebra this year using Lial's. I am not a math teacher. I took algebra in jr. high, and retook it in 9th grade, and our school did not require any additional math to graduate.:glare:

I do sit with my dd to go over lessons because she often gets paralyzed by math, and she prefers I read the lessons to her (very auditory). Lial's is easy to understand because it's a remedial text for college students. There are enough examples and samples as you go through each lesson, followed by a lot of exercises at the end of each section/lesson. Answers are given only for odd numbered exercises; while the work is not shown in the answer key, there have only been a few that either dd or I have not been able to figure out.

For awhile I was using Great Courses algebra as a supplement, but we dropped it. (For one thing, we couldn't stand the teacher.) Lial's has a wonderful, free online help for each odd numbered problem (see http://www.interactmath.com). Pretests, tests, and reviews are included in the Lial's book.

Seach on the high school board for Jann in TX's posts about ISBN numbers. I believe she suggests one of two editions for algebra; I have the Introductory Algebra 8th ed. It's been my experience to get the used books per Jann's suggestions at very decent prices ($10-25). It's imperative to have the right ISBN though. I bought it book used at amazon and had a very difficult time getting the exact book that was represented (even confirming with one seller that the ISBN matched, and when I received it, found that it did not).

Lial's Algebra has worked so well for us this year that my younger ds will use their BCM (Basic College Math) next year for 8th grade. Different programs work for different people; this one works for us!

Thanks Kristine!!

What edition of Lial's Alg 1 do you use? What supplements (DVDs, tests, etc.) do you use with it, and where did you find them?

I am totally on the fence for Alg 1. I own both BJU Alg1 with DVDs, and Chalkdust. I also have access to use Saxon for free. I have never used or seen a Lial's text, so I am a bit leery, but also intrigued because so many use it with success. I am NOT a math teacher. At all. I need something that will teach my ds Alg without also needing a lot of help from me. My ds is not mathy, he is an average-joe in regards to math.

Is there a sample of Lials online somewhere?

Ack, I feel so paralyzed and at a loss on what to use. :glare:

I ordered both Lial's and Dolciani's from my local library's interlibrary loan program so that I can look them over.

All I can say is......TEACHING TEXTBOOKS is awesome.

My daughter, four years ago, before we started using that program for 6th grade math, could not, and I mean COULD NOT do math without me by her side, struggling for HOURS and in tears. Teaching Textbooks totally changed this for her. She gets A's now all on her own without any assistance from me at all. Now, she doesn't love math, doesn't even like it much...but she GETS it. I will not even THINK about leaving this program.

We use Lial's Beginning Algebra (Algebra 1 for high school) with supplements from Life of Fred. We'll use Lial's Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 2) as well. We do own copies of Lial's Basic College Algebra, but it moved too quickly from concept to concept without enough problems on each topic for my non-math oriented teen. My youngest, a true mathematician, will probably use the college book in 7th grade.

Faith

Thank you for the responses. I am leaning towards Teaching Textbooks, mostly because my son said he thought he would enjoy it (and he's never said that for any math program before), but also because of the good reviews I've heard. I still haven't really heard anything bad about Teaching Textbooks. I'm planning to look at these others, though. I have a few more kids coming up the line and don't want to pick a different one for each of them.

• 2 weeks later...

With five kids, there has been lots of curricula =)

Oldest skimmed by with MathUSee.

Next whizzed through Saxon and AoPS (and MathCounts).

Third one loves Teaching Textbooks as a switch up to MUS.

Fourth one so far we've tried MUS, Saxon, Chalkdust, Life of Fred, and Fresh Approach-can't find a good fit. He seems to understand, but bombs on the actual problems. FWIW, KhanAcademy.com has been a help.

Fifth one is gifted like his older brother and is devouring every LOF book we have.

After reading through these posts, I have more curricula to consider =)

Teresa

Guest Mrs D

I also use Lial with my online classes (but I use Holt for Geometry).

I've been trying to find info about her online classes. Can anyone direct me?

Thanks!

We've been doing Calculus with Thinkwell. I'm actually rather impressed with the guy doing the lectures. I think he also does the algebra ones.

That said, though, I'm really NOT happy with the exercises that go with the lectures. We've had to use another book for problems.

I don't know if others would think the cost of Thinkwell is worth it just for the lectures. As I didn't have to buy another calc book (we have a bunch just lying around, with answer manuals) this wasn't such a blow to us.

CO MOM - You said that you use Lial's coordinated with Thinkwell lectures. Ds liked the samples of Thinkwell that we tried and I just started him on Lial. Do you have a written copy of a schedule that you would be willing to share, or does it match up easily?

TIA,

PameLA in VA