Menu

Entirely OT: Have you seen these nursing covers?

Mine would never have tolerated that. They hated blankets. They hated anything touching their face. So, I bought a bunch of nursing camisoles and wore those under my clothes and wore lots of cardigan type tops. No one was the wiser.

This is what I did too, but I notice more and more women out with giant drapey things. The hat is better than those. It looking like a giant breast just makes it even better. :D

How are you supposed to keep it up? It just sits on the baby's head? Do you put it on after the baby has latched on? I mean, if you're going for modesty, I don't see how you're going to juggle baby latching and hat holding at the same time.

Pffft...forget the baby, WOLF would have ripped it off our kid's head...:lol:

Yep, my husband would have hated it! Neither of us like these "hats" or the "hootie hiders". Seriously, just lift the shirt and stick the kid on...a lot less noticeable (with the exception for the few that really, really feel the need of their own choice to use such things...but I hold the opinion that they are all ridiculous).

Honestly? It looks to me like it's turning the baby's head into a giant, colourful breast. But maybe I'm just a little too spunky right now from the monster thread with all the kilts. :lol:

*snort*!!! :lol:

I don't know if my babies would've tolerated that. They really hated the blankets! I think it looks a little weird, to be honest.

My babies would've ripped it off. It would've lasted all of 2 seconds.

I'm in the minority, I suppose, but I do like the big drapey thingies. I just couldn't BF in public without one. I could've used a blanket, I suppose, but the drapey thingies usually had boning in them, and it kept the fabric off the baby's face.

Those hats don't look like they'd cover the view from the sides.

I know there are lots of ways to cover up, and some people are successful and some not. I saw someone I knew in the waiting room at the eye doctor and it took me a minute to realize she was nursing. She didn't have any kind of cover, just lifted her shirt, apparently, but no skin showed at all. Then there was the lady at the convention last weekend, who had some sort of drapey-thing, but I could see everything from the side. She obviously didn't know she wasn't covered on that side.

I have no problem with knowing someone is nursing, no matter what method they use. I just don't want to see mom's body parts that are normally covered when not nursing.

Ok, I gotta know something......all of you who think that covering up with a blanket/hooter hider is not necessary........how large are you? While nursing, I'm a 36G and, for me, the covering is necessary. Is this because I'm huge or am I just completely inept? I nursed one for a year and another is going-on 9 months.....so I've had plenty of practice. I'd *really* like to be able to nurse very discretely (so that no one would even notice what I was doing) but I have to uncover probably 6 inches of br3@st before we even get to the n*pple! I know this is very blunt, but I have seen this sentiment over and over and OVER, that blankets are not necessary, that it only draws attention, etc. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Ok' date=' I gotta know something......all of you who think that covering up with a blanket/hooter hider is not necessary........how large are you? While nursing, I'm a 36G and, for me, the covering is necessary. Is this because I'm huge or am I just completely inept? I nursed one for a year and another is going-on 9 months.....so I've had plenty of practice. I'd *really* like to be able to nurse very discretely (so that no one would even notice what I was doing) but I have to uncover probably 6 inches of br3@st before we even get to the n*pple! I know this is very blunt, but I have seen this sentiment over and over and OVER, that blankets are not necessary, that it only draws attention, etc. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.[/quote']

I am your size and I did not need to cover. I wore tunic type tops and lifted it up from the bottom. I'd unsnap my nursing bra first and the extra long top allowed my hand to do so without exposing much (perhaps a bit of my tummy). Latching on was similar. The baby kind of went up under my top a bit and as soon as he/she was latched the fabric draped around the breast. Seriously, I would be sitting in a chair nursing and people would be talking to me and think the baby was just sleeping in my arms!

I am your size and I did not need to cover. I wore tunic type tops and lifted it up from the bottom. I'd unsnap my nursing bra first and the extra long top allowed my hand to do so without exposing much (perhaps a bit of my tummy). Latching on was similar. The baby kind of went up under my top a bit and as soon as he/she was latched the fabric draped around the breast. Seriously, I would be sitting in a chair nursing and people would be talking to me and think the baby was just sleeping in my arms!

I do that. I even wear a tank-top thing that covers my belly. But isn't it obvious that your shirt is pulled up, even if nothing actually shows? Plus, my kids are often very energetic nursers (lots of slurping sounds) Plus, my baby now seems to think it is great fun to latch on, then pull off and push- making milk squirt out like a fountain! And any unexpected or loud noise, just has to be checked out, so she'll unlatch and wiggle until she can see what's going on.

I do that. I even wear a tank-top thing that covers my belly. But isn't it obvious that your shirt is pulled up' date=' even if nothing actually shows? Plus, my kids are often very energetic nursers (lots of slurping sounds) Plus, my baby now seems to think it is great fun to latch on, then pull off and push- making milk squirt out like a fountain! And any unexpected or loud noise, just has to be checked out, so she'll unlatch and wiggle until she can see what's going on.[/quote']

It didn't bother me if people did know I was nursing. And yes, my ds esp. was an energetic nurser. It seemed to fascinate a lot of men. It wasn't inappropriate. They couldn't see anything inappropriate. But they'd stare at the baby and say "look at that jaw action!"

I didn't nurse around people so much when my babies were in the distractable stage!

IDK, it seems to shout, "Hey, were breastfeeding here!" Plus my kids would never have tolerated something like that on their head or covering their face.

absolutely! Maybe they can embroider that on the crown of the hat?

Yeah right, my son would have yanked that right off his own head in a heart beat.
\

And there I would have been *flash*

Pffft...forget the baby, WOLF would have ripped it off our kid's head...:lol:

dh would have done that too.

But then he also moo-ed at me when I was pumping too.

My mom made me one of those drape covers. I needed something to hide the belly flab. :lol:

that was my problem too!

I haven't looked at it yet, but I love my "weird drapy thing"!!! :)

I'm small, so I don't always have to cover up, but in certain company, I just feel more comfortable with a little covering.

I want to check this "hat" thing out. I don't think my babies would tolerate something on their head either. They don't mind the drape, however.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Oh, how I wish I'd had one of those for when the inlaws were visiting!

Actually, I should get one for Schmooey now. He's 3.5 and the size of a 5 year old. :lol:

Schmooey would have grabbed the hat and waved it around. "Hey! Look at me having mom-mom! Doesn't it look like fun?" :D

Okay, I checked it out. I don't really like them because they look weird to me. Like they would DRAW attention.

My drape just looks like a blanket. Also, it looks like you have to lift it up to see the baby's face. My drape has a piece of plastic sewn in that holds it up slightly around my neck. That way I can see baby's face without having to lift anything AND the baby has nothing laying on her face.

This is what I did too, but I notice more and more women out with giant drapey things. The hat is better than those. It looking like a giant breast just makes it even better. :D

Have I told you lately how much I love you? :001_wub:

I really like it! My kids wouldn't (usually couldn't) tolerate covers, blankets, or my clothing bunched up around their faces. I would definitely try this.

Schmooey would have grabbed the hat and waved it around. "Hey! Look at me having mom-mom! Doesn't it look like fun?" :D

oh yeah, why didn't I think of that.

Now that is hilarious :lol: I would have used one of those while bf around family. They weren't quite sure about it at first and this would have lightened the mood!
LOL!

My "drape" when worn correctly, doesn't even touch my baby's face. It especially made nursing a newborn in public easier since they need so much "help".

If only you were around when I needed one. Oh well, I will not have to worry about that in this world again (unless I am helping someone else).

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Oh, how I wish I'd had one of those for when the inlaws were visiting!

Actually, I should get one for Schmooey now. He's 3.5 and the size of a 5 year old. :lol:

I've seriously considered getting one for my 2 y/o but he doesn't nurse in public very often, and he won't tolerate anything on his head either. But if we have another baby, i will order one in a heartbeat! :lol: