Menu

Do you like going on vacation?

As I get older, I enjoy going on vacation less and less.

I'm happy when I get where I am going, but I hate all the hustle and bustle before.

My son is going away tomorrow with my mother. I have made 3 trips to Staples to get things photocopied/laminated.

I spent $70 at Target on "stuff" that he needs to take with him (new earplugs, sweatpants to wear on the plane, snacks, etc).

I have done 3 loads of laundry to make sure he has enough clean clothes to take with him.

I spent $40 on gas so I have enough gas to drive small child to grandmas to go on trip.

I had to put money aside so he has enough money to buy stuff when he is away.

If all of us were going I would have to arrange pet care (lots of $$$$).

Am I just getting crankier as I get older?

:iagree:I hear you-feels like you need a vacation from the vacation LOL and then a vacation to recover from it all? LOL I love going/being on vacation but as it is now (we care for hubby's disabled dad) and our animals (that I will NOT send to a vet to be "kenneled" or whatever -dog/parrots) it's just too much hastle to deal with....sometimes I think about telling dh that me,ds,and the dog are going across town to one of the nice hotels and spending a few days "see ya later" LOL......and then when you get home you have to deal with getting back into your normal routine and getting all the vacation laundry done and things put back in order.....makes me tired thinking about it LOL...... :D haven't been on a REAL vacation since we got married in 2001 and even then it wasn't long enough LOL hee hee.

Vacation???? I don't remember the last vacation we had except when we went to the US for a visit in 2009. That was the last time we were back and it was nice, but, I still had to cook, and do laundry, and clean, and organize our things, and shop for necessities...you know how it is. It's not really a vacation.

My idea of a vacation would be me, in a hotel, alone, with books, a tv, and alone. Did I mention I'd be alone?;)

We recently got back from 14dd's Make a Wish trip to Disney. It was a LOT of fun and a once in a life time experience for her but it was NOT relaxing for me most of the time. Taking meds for 2 special needs girls and diabetic dh along with other medical stuff is a lot of work. I was still on "duty" to manage everyone, the meds, tickets, schedules, more meds, etc. Again, it was FUN but not relaxing.

Tomorrow I am going to Shipshewana, IN with a friend for a quick trip--leave about 7, home by 3 or 4. That will be relaxing--esp. since she is driving and it will be just the 2 of us.

Then next week I am going with the same friend and 3 others to Equine Affaire in Ohio from EARLY Thursday (like 3am early) until Friday evening. It will be nice ME time as all I will have to worry about is myself. I can look at what I want, sleep as long as I want, attend whichever seminars I want, eat what I want, when I want, and even go potty when I want with no one tagging along :-)

Between 3 special needs kids and a hobby farm with 3 horses, a dog, 3 cats, 2 rabbits, 15 chickens, and a bird and some fish, it is a lot of work to get ready to go anywhere with the whole family.

I love vacations. :001_smile:

:iagree: I chose the job I did because it gives me the flexibility to take lots of vacations. Being able to travel is also one of our top reasons for homeschooling. Love, love, love the vacation. We take several throughout the year. I think because we do it so often, we've got the prep down to an art and a science. I can see how the prep work would be a bigger pill if vacations were taken infrequently ((hugs)).

I think you just need to go on vacation by yourself. Then you'll REALLY like it. ;)

I agree. I just came back from Las Vegas. Hubby was there for a trade show and I tagged along. I sat in an extremely comfortable chair in the very nice hotel room (Las Vegas Hilton) and ate ice cream and watched "Law & Order" marathons on the USA Network and the very nice maid made the bed and left me fresh towels. It was heaven. True heaven. Now, family vacations... that's another story.

:iagree: I chose the job I did because it gives me the flexibility to take lots of vacations. Being able to travel is also one of our top reasons for homeschooling. Love, love, love the vacation. We take several throughout the year. I think because we do it so often, we've got the prep down to an art and a science. I can see how the prep work would be a bigger pill if vacations were taken infrequently ((hugs)).

Totally agree. However, my dh just shows up in the car and we leave. 100% of the prep for 3 people is on me. I've learned that as I get older, I need to give myself more days to get everything done, so I'm not exhausted before I go. Oh, and this upcoming trip, I am "off" from pulling it together. I get to just show up in the :auto:. It should be...interesting. :lol:

We have certainly become VERY discriminating about taking holidays. Dh is a comfort lover- he will pay extra for 5 star accommodation. I always used to be happy to camp and rough it but after years with dh I am getting a bit partial to the 5 star accomodation myself :) It is cheaper for us to go to Bali for 5 days and stay in top hotels, with airfares, than it is to go 3 hours down south and stay in a farmstay or cheap accomodation for the same period of time.

We bought a small motorhome with a bed that you don't have to pack up and down- it's always set up. When he and/or I go away for overnight events, festivals, retreats etc, which we both do several times a year, where everyone else roughs it- we live in luxury in our little gypsy van. We love it.

Dh didn't really like taking holidays with the kids when they were young. We have done a few as they got older- but well planned, well organised.

I remember my mum saying how much dad loved to camp- but she used to do the hours and hours of preparing, packing, organising us kids etc We loved it too- but as a mother I can now see how much work she did to make it happen.

I still love holidays but not indiscriminately. I love being home a lot too. Nowadays dh and I go on holidays mostly separately from the kids, although dh is about to take dd16 to Paris for a once in a lifetime father-daughter holiday.

I l-o-v-e vacations if they are the right kind. Visiting relatives=NOT a vacation!!

Dh and I have been on 2 cruises, one prekids, one when we had 4. I loved them, but with the last one my MIL watched the kids while we were gone and she has a different way of disciplining the kids. Coming home to find my 3 yr.(at the time) son had gotten a cold shower because he wet his pants made me not want to take a vacation until the kids are much older!! :glare:

I have been telling dh lately that we need a family vacation away somewhere, and SOON, before he deploys.

As I get older, I enjoy going on vacation less and less.

I'm happy when I get where I am going, but I hate all the hustle and bustle before.

My son is going away tomorrow with my mother. I have made 3 trips to Staples to get things photocopied/laminated.

I spent $70 at Target on "stuff" that he needs to take with him (new earplugs, sweatpants to wear on the plane, snacks, etc).

I have done 3 loads of laundry to make sure he has enough clean clothes to take with him.

I spent $40 on gas so I have enough gas to drive small child to grandmas to go on trip.

I had to put money aside so he has enough money to buy stuff when he is away.

If all of us were going I would have to arrange pet care (lots of $$$$).

Am I just getting crankier as I get older?

That sounds normal pre-vacation stuff. It can be exhausting and get you down. I used to get cranky & stressed preparing and then I put my foot down with myself. I really tried to shift my mindset and enjoy the preparation. It helped so much to think of each step in getting ready as part of the fun and excitement of the vacation.

I love vacations. I don't mind the packing (what I hate is the unpacking when we get back). And I don't really like driving there (cause I get carsick and can't really do anything in the car....so I'm bored). But I do look forward to them and really enjoy them. We have two vacations coming in May and I can't wait!