Menu

Skepticism regarding short-term mission trips...

Knowing how many children die from malnutrition in Africa every day, I find it morally reprehensible that anyone would use that much money to travel there for whatever it is they're planning on doing when the money could be used to keep dying children alive. Seriously people, if you've got eight thousand bucks to spend, use it to buy healthy food for starving African babies, not to bring them bibles.

I know my opinion isn't going to be popular- it usually isn't- but I had to say something.

A lot of the cost of these trips are the travel expense. There are mission opportunities in Appalachia where you could do good work and send the money you save on travel to a good cause.

I do think everyone has a right to spend their own money how they want to, but they shouldn't necessarily be asking family and friends to pay for their missitourism.

As a long-term missionary, it was a huge blessing to have short termers!

They brought much-needed supplies, usually, but they also brought enthusiasm and encouragement.

When we were tired and discouraged, it was fabulous to see those vans drive up with energetic teens pouring out, ready to work, pray, and learn.:001_smile:

So while the teens grow, the missionaries are blessed, also.

It's great to hear that perspective! That was what in-country pastors and missionaries that my dc have worked shared with me as well. They consider the short-term missions vital to the ongoing work.

Mergath -- it's hard to reconcile, isn't it when the extent of need is just enormous? I know that the short-term work my dc did was repairing wells for villages with no clean water; medical missions (which involved critical nutrition for AIDS orphans); building orphanages and schools. Since returning, both of my oldest have continued to raise funds for the orphans, b/c they are so deeply aware of the need.

Lisa

Knowing how many children die from malnutrition in Africa every day, I find it morally reprehensible that anyone would use that much money to travel there for whatever it is they're planning on doing when the money could be used to keep dying children alive. Seriously people, if you've got eight thousand bucks to spend, use it to buy healthy food for starving African babies, not to bring them bibles.

I know my opinion isn't going to be popular- it usually isn't- but I had to say something.

I hear you, Mergath, and I think a lot of other people do, too.

Do you think there is any redeeming aspect to these trips, though? Do they get people interested in living conditions outside the First World, people who otherwise might not be interested in any way? Do you think that exposure to a more just system of family relationships benefits native people (I'm guessing the missionaries, long or short-term, are not couples where the husband beats the wife, for example)? These are just questions I'm wondering about myself . . .

My grandmother goes on an annual 10 day missionary trip to Guatemala with our church. I've heard the stories and seen the pictures of all the good they do there (way more than just handing out bibles and preaching). But it is definitely not a vacation for her. She is still recovering from her breast cancer and went this year anyways because she felt strongly that she could do good. They sleep in cots and have helped build houses and churches, physical labor daily. However if it were longer than two weeks, I don't think my grandmother could have handled it. So I don't see short missionary trips as all equal.

:iagree:

Many missionaries do this kind of work, and sometimes short-term missionaries do work that enables aid to continue long-term. I can think of several instances where I personally know missionaries who do these things. There are legitimate needs for a group to come for 2 weeks-6weeks. My grandpa went on several trips like this...always left with suitcases full and came home empty handed (he gave away EVERYTHING he could...his time/energy and the clothing he could buy again back home) I remember being about 14yo and hearing about a man who had come back from a mission trip with only the clothes on his back...they were chuckling about how he'd tell his wife he needed a new wardrobe AGAIN...and I knew it was my G'pa...and it was.:001_smile:

Often times though...the $ could have been better spent, especially in the case of teenagers. The mission trip should not be about the person going...I know my opinion on that is about as popular as yours...but it's just backwards, selfish thinking.

I have no problems if teenagers want to go on a vacation together as a youth group. I wish we would reserve the term "mission trip" for things done for the sole purpose of helping other people though.

Also, you aren't going to hear on the news about Christian missionaries who go into those places in Africa (and other continents) to feed the hungry b/c often they prefer to remain as anonymous as possible...esp if the community they are serving has a violent tendency towards Christianity (which many do).

I hear you, Mergath, and I think a lot of other people do, too.

Do you think there is any redeeming aspect to these trips, though? Do they get people interested in living conditions outside the First World, people who otherwise might not be interested in any way? Do you think that exposure to a more just system of family relationships benefits native people (I'm guessing the missionaries, long or short-term, are not couples where the husband beats the wife, for example)? These are just questions I'm wondering about myself . . .

I'm sure that, for some people, there are some redeeming aspects. However, I knew enough kids who went on these things as a teen to know that for most of them, it is just a glorified vacation with a couple hours of community service thrown in. The church my mom made me go to for a few years was big on these, and I saw a lot of vacation... er, mission... pictures.

And as others have said, you can help make the world a better place right here in the US. As I've heard it, we've got heathens a'plenty right here. ;) But if someone is absolutely intent on sending someone overseas on a missions trip, it should be someone old enough to already have an interest in working in third-world countries, and it should be somebody with a useful skill set. Africa has plenty of pairs of strong hands- the problem is filling them with food, clean water, and medicine.

As long as there are babies dying simply because they don't have enough food and water- or in some cases even warm blankets- I just can't, in my own mind, justify doing anything before trying to stop that. And eight thousand dollars could save so many children that it hurts to think someone would spend it on a vacation.

I'm sure that, for some people, there are some redeeming aspects. However, I knew enough kids who went on these things as a teen to know that for most of them, it is just a glorified vacation with a couple hours of community service thrown in. The church my mom made me go to for a few years was big on these, and I saw a lot of vacation... er, mission... pictures.

And as others have said, you can help make the world a better place right here in the US. As I've heard it, we've got heathens a'plenty right here. ;) But if someone is absolutely intent on sending someone overseas on a missions trip, it should be someone old enough to already have an interest in working in third-world countries, and it should be somebody with a useful skill set. Africa has plenty of pairs of strong hands- the problem is filling them with food, clean water, and medicine.

As long as there are babies dying simply because they don't have enough food and water- or in some cases even warm blankets- I just can't, in my own mind, justify doing anything before trying to stop that. And eight thousand dollars could save so many children that it hurts to think someone would spend it on a vacation.

Lol, Mergath, and well-said. Thank you. :)

Often times though...the $ could have been better spent, especially in the case of teenagers. The mission trip should not be about the person going...I know my opinion on that is about as popular as yours...but it's just backwards, selfish thinking.

I have no problems if teenagers want to go on a vacation together as a youth group. I wish we would reserve the term "mission trip" for things done for the sole purpose of helping other people though.

Exactly. I'm not saying that there's no way anyone could ever be of use on one of these trips, because obviously there are people who go and do tremendous good. But spending thousands of dollars to send teenagers who, in the grand scheme of things, aren't going to be able to do much simply because most don't have the experience and skills necessary to help much, is just backwards. Use the money to do the most good and, like you said, let the kids pay for their own vacations.

I think that a 2 week mission (or similar non religious service trip) is really about benefiting the missionaries/volunteers. This is especially true when such a trip involves bringing young children. A short trip might be wonderful for those traveling, and hopefully would provide some modest benefit to the organization they are serving, but I imagine that most of the benefit is to the volunteers and to the organization through increased financial commitment and/or surplus 'donations' provided via fees from the missionaries. I'd also look carefully at the organizions themselves, to see how much of the funds actually make a difference in the lives of the community served. . . I would imagine the percentages are very low for those groups that use short term volunteers.

The only exceptions I can imagine for the value of short term trips are those that use very highly skilled professionals (surgeons, etc) who come in for a short period to perform their technical skills supported by a long term professional staff.

Personally, I think that fundraising for such trips should be done via personal work/savings/etc, not through soliciting for donations. Donations should go to people who need help, and I would be shocked/awed/astounded if many thousands of dollars of cash support to a worthy organization on the ground would not be more valuable than the effort of a family for a week or two.

For instance, a good friend dearly wants to go on a trip to the holy land with his wife next year for their (40th?) anniversary. They are a modest family, Catholic, many children, music teachers. . . They are not only saving pennies in every way and working extra hard, skipping fun stuff like the husband's (modest) annual continuing education trips, they are even selling one of their nicer pianos. . . I deeply admire their commitment to advance *their* spiritual quest. They are making personal sacrifices to do it.

Short-term missions often involve some level of aid work and there is a term that people in international development often use to describe such trips: voluntourism. I am sure that these folks have the best of intentions, but when it comes right down to it, it's not really about helping people (there are so many ways to use that 8k that would be demonstrating better stewardship) and it's not necessarily about Jesus. It's about feeling good about ourselves and thinking that we've helped those poor, starving Africans (or whoever else Americans consider poor and starving).

As a Christian and an anthropologist focused on international development (actually working with my church on missions-focused development in Uganda right now), this is a hot topic for me. Not trying to step on anyone's toes.

As a full time/career missionary, I wanted to put my 2 cents in on this thread. I agree that short term missionary trips are a great way to introduce someone to missions. My husband became a full time missionary because of such a trip.

My concern is the trend in the U.S. to focus primarily on short term trips instead of long term missions. We had a horrible time trying to raise our support on our last home service/furlough because many of the churches are interested in the gratification of short term missions. Most of my fellow missionaries are experiencing the same phenomenon. People get "a little fill" of missions on their short term trips and forget that it takes someone on the ground pouring constantly into those people or it is all for nothing.

Short term missions are great, but we can't lose sight of the necessity of those on the ground for the long haul. There HAS to be a balance.

Loving Jesus with everything I got,

Alaska Missionary

Exactly. I'm not saying that there's no way anyone could ever be of use on one of these trips, because obviously there are people who go and do tremendous good. But spending thousands of dollars to send teenagers who, in the grand scheme of things, aren't going to be able to do much simply because most don't have the experience and skills necessary to help much, is just backwards. Use the money to do the most good and, like you said, let the kids pay for their own vacations.

Short-term missions often involve some level of aid work and there is a term that people in international development often use to describe such trips: voluntourism. I am sure that these folks have the best of intentions, but when it comes right down to it, it's not really about helping people (there are so many ways to use that 8k that would be demonstrating better stewardship) and it's not necessarily about Jesus. It's about feeling good about ourselves and thinking that we've helped those poor, starving Africans (or whoever else Americans consider poor and starving).

As a Christian and an anthropologist focused on international development (actually working with my church on missions-focused development in Uganda right now), this is a hot topic for me. Not trying to step on anyone's toes.

Wow, that's rather harsh. The short-term missions I know of are all connected with long-term missions. I've known people that travel to SA every year to help with building projects. They meet up with their church's long-term missionary and do the work that can't be done when there aren't enough hands. Sure, they're seeing a foreign country, that's going to be exciting in and of itself. It does not take away from the work they do.

Our church sends out short-term missions all over the US year round. During the Christmas season they send out a group of short-term missionaries to Tanzania. Those missionaries go to meet with our long-term missionary. Again, there are building projects, endless (it seems) building projects. They deliver the packages we've packed (buckets full of rice, beans, flour &tc). They deliver the gifts we've packed (similar to Samaritan's Purse). And yes, they come home with pictures of Zebras and landscapes that we (the ones who stay home) can only see in pictures and movies. I would not begrudge them the beauty, the scenery, or think it takes away from the work they've done because they appreciated where they went.

As a full time/career missionary, I wanted to put my 2 cents in on this thread. I agree that short term missionary trips are a great way to introduce someone to missions. My husband became a full time missionary because of such a trip.

My concern is the trend in the U.S. to focus primarily on short term trips instead of long term missions. We had a horrible time trying to raise our support on our last home service/furlough because many of the churches are interested in the gratification of short term missions. Most of my fellow missionaries are experiencing the same phenomenon. People get "a little fill" of missions on their short term trips and forget that it takes someone on the ground pouring constantly into those people or it is all for nothing.

Short term missions are great, but we can't lose sight of the necessity of those on the ground for the long haul. There HAS to be a balance.

Loving Jesus with everything I got,

Alaska Missionary

:iagree: and thank you! I've written above about the short-term missions that go outside the US. My Aunt and Uncle are long-term missionaries and they have been having problems raising the funds they need. I do think that short-term missions should be connected with long-term missions. The missionary for our church does not have to go back and forth to raise more money. Our short-term missionaries raise the money he and his family need to stay there.

One thing I have struggled with especially with the short term trips is that there is so much need in our own communities. You don't have to go to another country or even another state to do mission work. I have sat in churches talking about mission trips overseas while there was major flooding within an hour or 2, or very poor areas where people struggle to survive. I often think we would be much better stewards of our time and money if at least the short term mission trips in general were local community trips.

I am not giving anyone a hard time and I have supported kids mission trips before...it is just something I struggle with.

This is where I am at. Several of my nieces and nephews have gone on missions trips. I have gotten the form letters in the mail many times. I may be the minority here, but for the most part, they don't do all that much helping on their trips. I think if they want to go, then they need to pay for it. Or stay home and help right in your very own community.

I almost never respond to requests for money for missions trips. My husband and I try hard to make our charity dollars go as far as possible. We have long discussions at the end of every year about how much to give to different organizations. We might volunteer with an organization to see how it's being run, or get to know the leaders personally, and we re-evaluate every single year. All this to say that we try to give sacrifically, but we don't hand out money lightly.

We tend to look askance when we see other people's children begging for money for their personal mission trips. Our first question is: why aren't the parents paying for this? We would only consider paying for someone else's child's expenses if the parents are truly destitute, and here in Northern Virginia we don't know of anyone who is struggling to put food on the table. We do know plenty of people who would rather have someone else pay for their child's trip than to dip into their own funds.

We also look at the character of the teen. Is the teen already showing signs of sterling character? Is he loving and respectful toward his family? Is he a strong Christian who loves to witness about Christ to others? What has he done locally that would indicate he's ready to branch out and impact the world? Is he working hard toward earning his own money? Would he be sincerely grateful for help? (You'd be amazed at how ungrateful people can be. I gave a check for several hundred dollars last summer to a teen who I thought met all the above qualifications, and I never received a word of thanks -- in person, by e-mail, or by note. I didn't need or even want to have that person thank me profusely, but I would have appreciated *some* word of acknowledgement and a few updates on how the trip was going.)

Finally, we consider the purpose of the trip and exactly what the teens will be doing. Why do 20 teens need to fly halfway across the world to build a school? Can't some local people be paid money (that their families desperately need) to build a school that will benefit their own village? Truly, the American teens would need to be exporting some special, irreplaceable skill in order to make it worthwhile for us to consider financing their trip.

That's our thought process. It might sound harsh, but there are many needs in the world and a person needs to be discerning before handing out money. The money that gets used to fund one cause is then unavailable for some other cause.

I am struggling with this, too, I'm afraid. I have come to feel that mission trips are the new, eco-friendly vacation of our time.... I just don't see how that is a good use of the money for folks to just drift in and out, visiting.... I'd rather see the money go to building wells, educating and providing small business loans, building schools, orphanages, etc.....

Wow. These posts seem harsh. I think the local kids in our church community are worth the investment even if the trip is just about them. They come back energized and committed to Christ and to each other. The annual Mexico trip over spring break, the teens build houses and run a camp. A large proportion of the kids then begin volunteering in our local missions in Oakland and Richmond.

The church sponsors several medical and dental missions to DR every year; obviously the teens can't do the medical work but they can entertain kids in long lines, distribute supplies, clean up. One local family went on the DR trip and felt called to run the school and act as school nurse for two years another family has been in the DR for 7 years. The Church has two short term trips that they are planning with local missionaries to an AIDS orphanage in Uganda and with a missionary in Peru. These trips are regular and coordinated with the long term missionaries on the ground. Those who go on the trips have a personal interest in seeing the mission succeed and frequently keep giving and returning.

However, short term also do a great deal of good for our local church. They keep the missions at the forefront of Church life. People come home and talk about the trips, and then they talk about the mission while recruiting for the next trip. The personal connection is important. We're always collecting shoes for the DR or school supplies for refugees or collecting offerings to buy a van for the missionaries in Mexico.

Christine

(who has no dog in the fight as my kids are too young to go themselves and too young to have their mama a continent or more away)

I am struggling with this, too, I'm afraid. I have come to feel that mission trips are the new, eco-friendly vacation of our time.... I just don't see how that is a good use of the money for folks to just drift in and out, visiting.... I'd rather see the money go to building wells, educating and providing small business loans, building schools, orphanages, etc.....

But in a lot of cases, the short-termers are the ones building the wells, schools, orphanages, etc. Even teens can be very productive if they have skilled adults training and supervising them.

I have friends who do short-term trips in Uganda to train women to have their own small businesses, they bring products back to the states to sell, and return 100% of the money back to the women in Uganda for support and additional training. Some of the money goes to schools for their children, too.

The long-termers often see the needs and plan the projects, but they need manpower to get them accomplished.

I'm not arguing, just offering another perspective.

Jehovah's Witnesses' short term missions trips always involve disaster relief: building homes, passing out food and supplies, helping with clean up, providing medical care and comfort. I wasn't aware of this other type that everyone is talking about. Even then, I think that some who are going can have the wrong motive.

I guess our equivalent to the short term mission trips that don't involve disaster relief would be visiting an international convention. In this case the people who go have to apply and if approved they are offered a discount as part of the group.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

$8000 for 2 weeks seems a bit much. I am more inclined to give locally even though I have done short term trips as a teen and my dd will this summer (not leaving the states), and the cost is low. She is doing her own fund raising and I am giving her my wahm earnings (which is not much but its not money essential to our family) I would have to know a lot more about the mission. If it was a persistent and or annoying person I would be inclined to make a very small donation (maybe $100) just to get them off my back lol.

All of the short-term missions I've heard of have done these sorts of thing (except offering loans). One local church cares for an orphanage in Peru, our church has a mission hospital, school, orphanage, and church in Tanzania. While there is a lot of visiting, it's only a small part of what they do and for the long-term missionaries the short term missionaries are much needed assistance.

I think $8000 for a couple weeks is a waste of money. There are much less expensive places to travel to to have the experience of living/working/helping/preaching with the poor.

To put it into perspective, $8000 could put 8 kids in Kenya through 2 years of a trade education (including food and shelter). One could impact many more lives in a much greater way with that kind of money!

Don't get me wrong... I see a lot of value in sending kids on mission trips, just less expensive ones! And I do think that if a family can pay for it themselves, they should.

If folks who are going short-term are involved in a meaningful way in these types of things, then I can certainly see the merit in it. I'm not sure why, but those around here that I've talked to do not seem to be involved in such meaningful work. It seems like a "visit" more than a mission for these folks, which is what has made me feel so much concern.

All of the short-term missions I've heard of have done these sorts of thing (except offering loans). One local church cares for an orphanage in Peru, our church has a mission hospital, school, orphanage, and church in Tanzania. While there is a lot of visiting, it's only a small part of what they do and for the long-term missionaries the short term missionaries are much needed assistance.
Thanks for clearing that up.

And I do think that if a family can pay for it themselves, they should.
I had never before heard of them not.

I would never have guessed that this thread would garner so many responses!

Thank you all for your input, and for being so civil during the discussion. :001_smile: You've helped me to see some possible value in short-term missions, and helped me to clarify under what circumstances I might be willing to support those asking for donations.

Thanks again,

Julie

If folks who are going short-term are involved in a meaningful way in these types of things, then I can certainly see the merit in it. I'm not sure why, but those around here that I've talked to do not seem to be involved in such meaningful work. It seems like a "visit" more than a mission for these folks, which is what has made me feel so much concern.

If you spoke with our short-term missions folks you'd think the same thing. They do a presentation for church where everything they worked on (how the money was spent) is laid out. Otherwise, all we'd ever know is that they saw zebras and had so much fun visiting. I don't think the hard work stays in the forefront of their minds. There's so much interraction, even during the hard work, that it seems like they don't bother to remember the sweat, iykwIm. Sort of like someone coming home from work with a bushel full of anecdotes, but nothing that actually concerns what they DID to earn their money that day. That stuff just isn't as interesting.

I would never have guessed that this thread would garner so many responses!

Thank you all for your input, and for being so civil during the discussion. :001_smile: You've helped me to see some possible value in short-term missions, and helped me to clarify under what circumstances I might be willing to support those asking for donations.

Thanks again,

Julie

Somewhere in here I recommended having the person asking for money answer all your questions. I stand by that. They need to learn to outline the important aspects of their trip. They need to learn how to approach people and to KNOW what they're going to do well enough to tell others.

My daughter (18) has won national awards for her humanitarian work--here is an example--http://www.seventeen.com/entertainment/features/mission-award-winners-2009 and it has never cost her anywhere near $8000- for 2 weeks!

In 2009 she organized a trip into the jungles of Nicaragua to transport art supplies to impoverished children in remote areas. I helped her lug 400 pounds of art supplies--in old, donated suitcases--along with some 60 pounds of medical supplies in watertight containers. We traveled from Costa Rica in chicken buses to the border of Nicarauge, then had porters wheel the cargo to the riverfront, where we loaded it into dugout canoes and cruised on the Rio Frio through the jungle, stopping at villages along the way to distribute some of the goods.

From there we hitched a ride on an old, battered cargo boat to the Corn Islands, and upon arriving, distributed more supplies. Then we had to travel back by an WW2 bi-plane to Managua and catch more chicken buses to the west coast--Las Penitas--and after that we had to find a way into Honduras (this is when Pres. Zelaya was thrown out of office and the border was closed). All along the way my dd was distributing med supplies (both prescription and non, like discarded surgical tools and eyeglasses, etc.) as well as art supplies in the various communities she had planned on her itinerary.

We slept in some terrible places, inside our sleep sacks and encased in portable mosquito screening (to avoid malaria). No running water or electricity. We lived off eggs and beans and rice and bananas. It was 6 weeks of sweaty h*** and it was representative of the kind of mission trips that dd has done for several years now....Peru, Guatemala, Chiapas region of Mexico, Panama, the Amazon....each trip lasting from 10 days to 6 weeks.

The most expensive trip she has ever made was Peru, 5 weeks from the Andes to the Amazon, the two of us, and it cost $2500-. Most recently she was in Guatemala for 10 days; she brought 2 other young ladies with her, and it cost the girls a total of about $600, because they had raised money through yard sales and swap meets to cover much of their travel expenses. They distributed appx 140 pounds of art supplies to children in remote village schools and medicine (primarily antibiotics for typhoid) to the local clinic. Ironic, really, because when my dd returned to the US she came down with typhoid fever she had picked up in Guate!

Anyway, my point is mission trips don't have to cost a lot, and a great deal can be accomplished for a small amount of money. My daughter has always been creative raising funds. Instead of just asking for plain $$ donations, she puts out notices in our neighborhood and on Craigslist for donations of unwanted items which can be re-sold at swap meets. That is how she makes her money, from people's old stereos and tools and sports equipment and such.

I don't like the idea of someone asking for plain cash handouts for their mission trips, because I see how hard my dd has worked to make money on her own. I am NOT averse to helping anyone raise funds for their mission trip is they are working in some way--a car wash, a bake sale, a garage sale, collecting aluminium for recycling, etc.

I do not look kindly on short term mission request. I know it sounds bad. I haven't read any other posts on this. So I am going out on a limb here...I know that $8000 can do a lot in our own backyards such as the soup kitchen, and any other local ministry needing our help. Why can't we volunteer our time in our communities?? Why can't we give money to local centers that help homeless people (I do not give money out to street people holding signs so centers for homeless people are more legit in my opinion than those standing on the streets....I have seen too many sign changes and location changes that I know who is who and where they were last week)

I am more for supporting our local missions in our communities than paying for somebody's short term mission/vacation. You are not alone in this at all. My church has 24 short term mission trips planned this year. I cringed every time they advertise it during church but they do state what they will be doing there. In Mexico they will be building small shacks for the the people in this one neighborhood. I understand this need in Mexico or Africa. These people are expected to come up with the money themselves. They do not ask others for money at all. They do not encourage you to ask others for money to pay for your mission trip. Also none of them costs $8000....The highest amount was $3000. Africa trip through my church is around $3000 for two weeks.

If you want to go to a short term mission trip then you need to be able to pay for it yourself.

Remember this is just my opinion....:D

Holly

:iagree:I agree that the person who goes on short term mission should be ready to pay for it, or at least 50% of it if not more. I would not ask people to pay for my mission trip if I am NOT willing to pay for at least 50% of it.

You said what I was thinking. Thank you.

My daughter (18) has won national awards for her humanitarian work--here is an example--http://www.seventeen.com/entertainment/features/mission-award-winners-2009 and it has never cost her anywhere near $8000- for 2 weeks!

In 2009 she organized a trip into the jungles of Nicaragua to transport art supplies to impoverished children in remote areas. I helped her lug 400 pounds of art supplies--in old, donated suitcases--along with some 60 pounds of medical supplies in watertight containers. We traveled from Costa Rica in chicken buses to the border of Nicarauge, then had porters wheel the cargo to the riverfront, where we loaded it into dugout canoes and cruised on the Rio Frio through the jungle, stopping at villages along the way to distribute some of the goods.

From there we hitched a ride on an old, battered cargo boat to the Corn Islands, and upon arriving, distributed more supplies. Then we had to travel back by an WW2 bi-plane to Managua and catch more chicken buses to the west coast--Las Penitas--and after that we had to find a way into Honduras (this is when Pres. Zelaya was thrown out of office and the border was closed). All along the way my dd was distributing med supplies (both prescription and non, like discarded surgical tools and eyeglasses, etc.) as well as art supplies in the various communities she had planned on her itinerary.

We slept in some terrible places, inside our sleep sacks and encased in portable mosquito screening (to avoid malaria). No running water or electricity. We lived off eggs and beans and rice and bananas. It was 6 weeks of sweaty h*** and it was representative of the kind of mission trips that dd has done for several years now....Peru, Guatemala, Chiapas region of Mexico, Panama, the Amazon....each trip lasting from 10 days to 6 weeks.

The most expensive trip she has ever made was Peru, 5 weeks from the Andes to the Amazon, the two of us, and it cost $2500-. Most recently she was in Guatemala for 10 days; she brought 2 other young ladies with her, and it cost the girls a total of about $600, because they had raised money through yard sales and swap meets to cover much of their travel expenses. They distributed appx 140 pounds of art supplies to children in remote village schools and medicine (primarily antibiotics for typhoid) to the local clinic. Ironic, really, because when my dd returned to the US she came down with typhoid fever she had picked up in Guate!

Anyway, my point is mission trips don't have to cost a lot, and a great deal can be accomplished for a small amount of money. My daughter has always been creative raising funds. Instead of just asking for plain $$ donations, she puts out notices in our neighborhood and on Craigslist for donations of unwanted items which can be re-sold at swap meets. That is how she makes her money, from people's old stereos and tools and sports equipment and such.

I don't like the idea of someone asking for plain cash handouts for their mission trips, because I see how hard my dd has worked to make money on her own. I am NOT averse to helping anyone raise funds for their mission trip is they are working in some way--a car wash, a bake sale, a garage sale, collecting aluminium for recycling, etc.

Thank you, for your post!

Most young people would never be willing to do what your dd does, both in her fundraising and during her trips, but they would be better served by it.

I'm a youth worker at my church and the short-term missions trips we do are mainly to get the kids out of their comfort zone and to see how people live in other parts of the world. They go to serve the people they are visiting by talking with them, putting on dramas, feeding them, caring for their general needs and praying with them. The kids usually come back home completely changed. For some, the exposure is enough for them to know that they want to do missionary work, for others, it just makes them realize how much they have and they come home very grateful for it. Our missions trips for the youth are typically between $400-$500.

:iagree:I have known several people who have gone on a 1-3 wk. mission trip and come back a changed person. I do believe it is money well spent. $8000 seems just a bit high for one person, even with the higher air fairs now.

Ask some specifics as to how the money is being spent. As a contributor you have every right to this information. If there is one that you do not feel right in your spirit about simply do not give to that individual.

• 3 months later...
Guest pintodw

I agree with many who are posting here. If you can't afford to go on a missions trip then either work for money to pay for it or don't go. When I walk out of a store and a Little League team is raising money by asking for handouts my response is "why aren't you across the lot washing cars or carrying bags for tips?" I am particularly galled when I receive letters from kids from well to do families asking for money for a missions trip. Really? How about if you go to the Bank of Parents? Why are you asking me when your parents have more than enough to send you? I have heard parents say they want their kids to have to be responsible for securing funds. Is begging responsible? WORK FOR THE MONEY OR DON'T GO!!! While I agree there are rare instances when it is not possible for a child to raise the money and the parents cannot afford to pay, I would like to emphasize the word "rare."

Mostly I'm a nice person. Really. But...

I'm having trouble figuring out how to rearrange my thinking about short-term mission trips, and I'm sure someone here can help.

I've received many requests from friends/family for donations towards their mission trips. The trips are all about 2 weeks long, and they're always non-specific about *why* they are going, and *what they plan to do while they're there*. The not-so-nice part of me is critical about this, and whispers in my ear that $8000 for a two week trip to Africa sounds like a vacation rather than a true ministry to others. :confused: I'm not proud of my thoughts on this. At the same time, I think of what $8000 could do in the hands of a missionary who's already "on the ground" and has made a greater commitment to a cause and/or ministry. In most areas of life, I'm a cheerful giver, and I love to give when I can to real missionaries, with a goal and a purpose. Is there a reason I should look more kindly on the requests from short-term'ers?

In my opinion, no, you should not look more kindly upon the requests. Why should you be called upon to help finance someone's personal or spiritual journey?

Frankly I would not have the audacity to make such a request of anyone.

When my kids have been asked or required to raise funds for a project, we have simply donated cash and/or bought the overpriced products ourselves. We do not consider it appropriate FOR OUR FAMILY to ask friends and relatives to help finance our children's activities.

As an aside, we give a significantly higher percentage of our income to charity than the average for our income range. Much of it is in the form of direct cash assistance to needy individuals, and, as such, is not even deductible on our tax return.

As a cost of doing business, my husband once made a small donation to an associate's missionary family acquaintances. I say cost of doing business because we do not advocate evangelizing in any religion, particularly when it is in tandem with carrying out charitable activities. For the last ten years or so, we have received 3-4 requests per year for donations to the family.

Guest pintodw

I so agree. A $1600 donation to Feed My Starving Children (fmsc.org) feeds 100 people for a year. A short-term missions trip costs at least that much. Is a 1-2 week visit to a 3rd world country going to make anywhere near the same impact? 40,000 children starve to death every day world wide. Do the math; it's a no-brainer. Send your money to fmsc.org.

Guest pintodw
...we do not advocate evangelizing in any religion, particularly when it is in tandem with carrying out charitable activities.

If I am serving someone in need it is both appropriate and right for me tell them why I am serving them. If I am serving them because I am a follower of Jesus and He asked his followers to love others through our actions I am entirely justified in telling this to the one I am serving. Furthermore, as a follower of Jesus I am called to share the good news of salvation with others. He/she doesn't have to agree with me to receive my service but why should they not know? Your statement reminds me of someone who was complaining about Christian music being played in a store. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be playing. If you don't like it or agree, don't listen.

Edited by pintodw
mistake

If I am serving someone in need it is both appropriate and right for me tell them why I am serving them. If I am serving them because I am a follower of Jesus and He asked his followers to love others through our actions I am entirely justified in telling this to the one I am serving. Furthermore, as a follower of Jesus I am called to share the good news of salvation with others. He/she doesn't have to agree with me to receive my service but why should they not know? Your statement reminds me of someone who was complaining about Christian music being played in a store. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be playing. If you don't like it or agree, don't listen.

{note, I don't believe in evangelical missionaries, and I am not a fan of international missionaries using other people's money}

That said, if I am a human being in need of medical, financial, or housing help, the assumption that I "need Jesus" (or Buddha, or a pantheon of gods, or a properity spell.......) is insulting, invasive, and lacks appropriate boundaries.

Humans are able to have their spirituality (or lack of) and still be in living situaitons that are challenged. Being financially (or other provision type need) does not mean I should be patronized, insulted by the imposition of someone's religion, or my own spiritual journey questioned. If you, out of your care for other human beings want to help someone - Help them. If you are doing it to save souls for Jesus (because it's the most common and egregious real life example) know that your actions are by nature self-centered; you want to be right rather than simply give help.

I'm a youth worker at my church and the short-term missions trips we do are mainly to get the kids out of their comfort zone and to see how people live in other parts of the world. They go to serve the people they are visiting by talking with them, putting on dramas, feeding them, caring for their general needs and praying with them. The kids usually come back home completely changed. For some, the exposure is enough for them to know that they want to do missionary work, for others, it just makes them realize how much they have and they come home very grateful for it. Our missions trips for the youth are typically between $400-$500.

:iagree:I am hoping to one day go on one of those trips and if my two children wish to go I hope they will also be able to have that experience.

I have to admit $8000 seems a bit high. The ones that I have heard about are normally around $2-4000 depending on where they are going and for how long.

Of late, I am more in support of local, community efforts to assist people in need in your own neighborhood/area. Much less glitzy and dramatic, but still following the model of Jesus.

I guess I don't see it as an either/or situation. I think the Great Commission makes it clear that is our responsibility as the church to do both. Our church has many ministries that serve our local community, and we also do quite a few overseas mission trips each year. We've been particularly involved with a church in Haiti since the earthquake. We're helping rebuild their church in addition to meeting many other needs.

I also want to say as a person who has traveled to China twice (for the adoptions of my children), that trying to compare the needs in this country to needs in other countries is often comparing apples to oranges. I'm not saying that it is not important to meet the needs of people in our country -- it definitely is. But there are millions of people in the world that live in conditions that would be hard for most of us to imagine if we didn't see it for ourselves. Their needs are just on a whole different scale than what you see in our country. It would most likely be illegal to be raising children in the U.S. in the conditions that I saw in my daughter's orphanage.

My post stated that *we* do not advocate evangelization. I was explaining why we would provide financial support to an organization that we would not normally support. I never stated that you or any other proselytizer did not have a right to proselytize. But then that was clear from my post.

I would never presume to attempt to influence a business to play music that was tailored to my personal tastes just as I do not contact businesses to complain (or boycott) if they offer goods or services, or advertising, that I would personally find offensive. I do not roll that way.

I also want to say as a person who has traveled to China twice (for the adoptions of my children), that trying to compare the needs in this country to needs in other countries is often comparing apples to oranges. I'm not saying that it is not important to meet the needs of people in our country -- it definitely is. But there are millions of people in the world that live in conditions that would be hard for most of us to imagine if we didn't see it for ourselves. Their needs are just on a whole different scale than what you see in our country. It would most likely be illegal to be raising children in the U.S. in the conditions that I saw in my daughter's orphanage.

I agree.

This is why I left the country to help. There are many social programs in the U.S. for people to receive assistance. In many other countries there just aren't. I want to be where people need help the most. I don't really understand the push to focus on one's own community. Why not see the whole world as a community and all people as our neighbors and help those who need it the most. It's not like the people who happened to be born near you are somehow more worthy of your efforts.

I have not read through all the responses...just going to give our story.

My 14yodd dances in our church praise dance team, and they traveled to Germany last summer for two weeks. They are going again next week. Both trips cost around $2300, including airfare, meals, ground transport, etc. She sent out support letters, but also worked very hard to earn what she could. Last year it was babysitting and cleaning houses, and group fundraisers like car-washes, etc. This year she sold homemade bread and paid for a huge part of her trip with that.

While I think the people of Germany benefitted from the team, what my daughter learned is that life is big outside of Texas (gasp!), and she can make a difference in someone's life.

She is shy by nature, but she really stepped out and spoke with people and such. So - her future is full of opportunities she may have never dreamed of prior to these trips, and I think she will touch many lives in a positive way for the rest of her life.