Menu

I need advice about getting a dog. This is Very Extra Long.

Our 8 year old rough collie, Teddy, died a couple of weeks ago of lymphoma and liver cancer. It was unexpected because when he was diagnosed, the only choice was to have him euthanized that day.

I am not ready to get another dog yet, because right now, I just want Teddy back. He was such a large part of my daily life, that I feel at loose ends every waking hour. Lately, I distract myself at night by reading dog forums and looking at breeder and rescue websites for hours. I will have to get another dog sometime because it is driving me crazy not to have one, or maybe I'm just going crazy because I don't have Teddy.

I have been thinking about buying a 2-3 year old dog, so it is past the puppy stage, and so it is old enough to be reliably tested for genetic diseases, other diseases, heart problems, tumors, and so forth.

I plan to contact reputable breeders and rescue groups this summer. I like large, very intelligent, easily trainable dogs who are beautiful, easy to handle, do not have high exercise requirements, are affectionate, and who have sweet, gentle temperaments.

Problem #1

Everyone else in the family, including DH, wants a rough collie puppy. I do not. I feel rather fragile after my recent heart attack, and I still have to have another angioplasty and stent because of a blocked artery in my leg that causes severe pain which prevents me from walking beyond very short distances.

I am the person who will spend the most time with the dog. I don't think I can handle the needs of a high-energy puppy. My preference is to get a smooth or rough female tricolor collie. I do not want a dog who looks exactly like Teddy. He was a sable male.

Problem #2

We live in a rural area, on a 2-acre, unfenced lot, on a country road. People speed down the road, and farm equipment rolls by. It's nowhere near city traffic level, but still dangerous for a dog. There is a stream behind the house, with a very large pasture and woods. In those woods are deer and other wild animals. There is a dairy farm across the street.

Teddy liked being in the house, sitting on the front porch with me while we watched the cows parade to their pasture, taking walks, and running free (with me) in the pasture and woods behind the house. When he was younger, it wasn't safe to let him run free unless we were in the mountains deep in a forest where there was no traffic to chase.

So maybe where we live is not a good place to have anything except a small lap-dog type dog or a senior dog. It is a great place for a dog who won't go in the road and chase vehicles. But I don't want a small dog and I don't want an older dog because I do not want a dog who could die soon.

Problem #3

The kids are teenagers and will likely move out before the dog gets old. That will leave my husband and I to handle any dog emergency. Maybe we should get a dog we can pick up. We are 54 and 61 years old now, and not getting any younger. Teddy was a large collie and weighed 100 lbs. when he was healthy. I can mitigate this by getting a female dog.

I could also get another breed. There are female dogs with medium exercise requirements in the spaniel, retriever, poodle, and spitz families that weigh about 50 lbs. I'm not overly thrilled with them, but that is because my favorite breeds are shepherds, collies, and several giant breeds. I like big, hairy dogs.

I don't want to get a smaller dog in case someone steps on it. Plus, I've had terriers and beagles and they are too high strung and active for me. A more laid back breed suits me better.

Problem #4

I have looked at every dog on Petfinders that is located within 500 miles of me. If there is a breed (or mixed breed) that has many known health problems, and/or is popular with back yard breeders and puppy mills, and/or is a breed that could be violent or has extremely high exercise needs, it is on Petfinders in super abundance.

I am afraid of getting a dog that has genetic health problems or that has been so abused or neglected that it is mentally and behaviorally unstable.

A breed rescue organization might be a better choice, if only because the ones I have looked at house their dogs at foster homes. If the foster "parents" are honest, at least I would have a heads-up about the temperament and behavior of the dog and how easy she is to train and to groom. Plus, I can still take it to the vet to check it out fully.

I guess the upshot is that I want to be sure the dog is a good fit for our family, and that we are a good fit for the dog.

I know I have to get healthy enough to walk a dog before I get one. I expect my energy level will return to normal soon. I was doing pretty well after I had the heart attack, and then Teddy died, and now all of a sudden I don't have any energy. I'm still long-winded, obviously, but it's like my personality is gone.

So with all this in mind, what would a reasonable, sensible person choose to do? Maybe if I had a plan, it will give me something to look forward to and I can get out of this pit.

Thank you for your help!

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

:grouphug: I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm not reasonable or sensible when it comes to dogs so I don't have a lot of advice...but I do think with all you have going on a more mature dog would be a good fit for you. We have 4 dogs. Our GSD and St. Bernard were 2 and 5 when we got them. They are wonderful dogs! I think you will know when you find your dog. For now putting your focus on researching and preparation will help heal some of your pain, but it is so hard to lose such a big part of your life. :grouphug: again. I wish I had more to offer.

I am in the same boat. I lost my beloved 13-year-old dog, my first "baby," last May and still am having a hard time with replacing her (which I can't - a new dog is a new dog). I raised her from a pup, but think a puppy would be too much for me now. Other than that, the type of dog I want is remarkably like what you describe. Nice furry coat, active but not too active, sweet, no lap dogs. My Scout was a 50-pound Aussie mix, so sweet she let the boys take food from her mouth when they were babies (not that I encouraged that, but still), and something similar would be good for me.

All that to say, maybe an Aussie mix would suit you? Not quite as large as a collie (although I had a collie growing up, love them), but otherwise might fit the bill.

Very best wishes.

I would suggest you contact a breeder. They often have dogs older than puppies that they have held on to to breed, or hoping there would be a potential to breed, or to show for a few years.

That being said, my family was a foster family for many years and adopting a dog this way rarely leads to a bad fit, as there is so much information to go on. You might also look for a collie specific rescue, while they might not be purebreds necessarily, it might be easier to find what you want.

And remember, you are not trying to replace a beloved friend, you are just trying to fill the empty hole left in your heart from his absence.

:grouphug:

I put my husky down last summer after having him for 15 years. It was about 2 weeks before my dd was born:crying: We thought long and hard about what we wanted b/c we didn't have the time to put into training a dog that had major alpha dog issues and also running off issues for 12 hours at a time. We like big dogs and thought about getting one that was older. We finally settled on a standard poodle and he was about 10 weeks old.

I am glad we got him at a young age b/c we have been able to teach him to be very gentle with dd. He is now about 8 mo and we can wear him out by using a tennis ball thrower for about 15 minutes. He stays around our house and doesn't need to be leashed. I don't know how he would do if left outside by himself for a long time though. He is a much more territorial dog and we have been working on that. I assume we will always have some issues with that, but he does really well. He is also not as fearless as my husky was. The husky wasn't afraid of anything. My poodle is much more cautious.

Their hair can get as long as you want it or as short as you want it, but it does take regular brushing to keep it from getting matted. He is really sweet and learns really quick. They get to be between 60 and 80 lbs.

Due to the territorial issues, I would really think twice about getting one that is older unless the owner really knew what they were doing with it.

I know there are lots of other dogs out there, I just thought I would share our experience with a standard poodle because it might be something that would work for you.

HI Rough Collie,

I was in much the same situation as you five years ago. My children were younger but since I was thinking of getting a young, but not puppy dog, it would outlive the kids. Since my husband travels, it would fall to me to take care of the dog. Since I have arthritis, I have health issues also (since that time added more too). I didn't have the same home situation but since I knew I would be moving at least one more time in the dog's life, I knew that could change too.

It isn't the dog I will recommend as much as the method and the age and the size. I researched dogs and I decided around thirty-thirty five pounds was the max I should be handling. That is because I formerly had a 55 lb black lab and that was definitely more than I wanted to handle as I grew older. With your condition and your age, I would suggest you scale down the size. I did this even though I knew I would only get a trained dog, not a puppy. I had thought that with a trained dog, I don't need to pick up but even with that, sometimes you do and sometimes you do when others aren't around. So I made sure it was smaller so I would never be tempted to do something unwise and injure myself further.

Next, do not back down on the age of the dog. Do not get a puppy. You will do the work, you will be the one getting up, it is not good for your health and could even kill you. NO to the puppy no matter who begs.

Lastly, where to get- I think either a reputable breeder or a reputable breed rescue or type rescue (like lap dog rescue) would be good. I had a fantastic result with my breed rescue poodle. I would give you the name but they are in Florida. Anyway, my dog did end up developing a genetic problem but it was a common one that isn't evident until six or seven years old. He also turned out to be older than vets first thought- but it wasn't just the breed rescue that thought so- so did the first three vets that saw him once he was found and rescued. That is because it is very difficult to tell ages between like 3-5 with small dogs (probably some other range with older dogs). All the vets were off by two that became obvious once he developed these age related issues (minor, by the way). But the rescue group had experienced people who matched me with a perfect dog for me- calm, barks only when I want him to- someone coming to the door, deer, etc,, doesn't need much exercise but can walk with us as needed, very loyal, gets along with cat, gets along with everyone, isn't a problem with visitors. You can tailor a list to your preferences- but the point is-get what you need (age, size, breed) and tell your family they need to go along.

Agreeing with others who say stick to your guns about a puppy.

I'd say go with what you want--sounds like the collie breed is really up your alley! I will put in a plug for retrievers, too. Labs can be a little hyper, as can Goldens, and they are often puppy mill/BYard Breeder fodder, and rescues are forever listing dogs that seem to have the tiniest amt of the breed as "pure."

That said, I do think Goldens are wonderful. If you get a good one, teach it its place in the family, and do some boundary training, it will reward you with its sweet nature and friendly companionship. Mine is 9 now, and slowing down a lot. He came to us from a couple in Quantico who had 2 kiddos and one on the way, and a postage-stamp yard. As he was about 7 months old, he was in the "teen" stage, but that didn't last, and he made a lovely transition to our home. We don't have a fenced yard, but do have acres of woods and a field. Riley can just go out to do his business, and doesn't wander--he really wants to be with us. His coat is similar to a collie's, except not as dense (undercoat). The Furminator is our friend. :D

Anyway, give yourself time to grieve--You have had a different sort of "heart attack," and need to allow yourself time to mourn your loss of Teddy. :grouphug:

I am so sorry about Teddy :grouphug:.

I think contacting a breeder to help you find an older dog is a good idea.

When we lost our lab unexpectedly, I agonized over getting another dog. We went back and forth with the question of getting a puppy vs. an adult. It was really a hard decision. We decided on a puppy because of my fears of not being able to physically retrain a full grown lab that pulled on the leash, etc. A puppy is A LOT of work, but I was afraid if I got a 2 year old lab that I would just be dealing with a GIANT puppy, kwim?

I wish you the best with your decision, it is like adding a member of the family.

Patience would be my advice. Stick to your guns too.

We waited 2 years after our second lab died at 15 (the older one died 2 years previous to that at 15 too). I only ever inquired about 1 dog on Petfinder. That dog wasn't available as the foster family had shown permanent interest.

We started what we knew would be the long process for a GSD rescue (esp. with young children!). A few weeks later, just after adopting our son, we received a call that the Petfinder dog did indeed need a home. Not ideal timing, but we brought her into the family. She was about 8-9 months old. Her mom was GSD/Gordon Setter, which was like a heaven on earth combo for me. Turns out from all physical evidence as this dog matured, her father must have been a Border Collie. NEVER would I have chosen a Border Collie. :eek:

It took some time, but she and I have become the best of buddies, and naturally, she's an awesome running partner. She's puny (for my tastes), but yeah, if she ever blows out her knee or anything, I can carry her home. After carrying my tired labs off our beach more than once, that would certainly be a welcome benefit! I definitely love her for her, and she has equal place in my hear to the other 3 dogs that have been in my life.

I always say "I like puppies, but I love dogs." The puppy stage is always such a struggle for me, as I love the rapport you get with a dog that you don't get with a pup. In my case, what I found is that there was actually some remedial work I had to do with this dog when she was new to our home anyways. Different, and still better than a puppy, but I'm glad I had been trained in adoption techniques for bonding with my children. They were very helpful with getting the dog to bond into our pack. :) If you do end up going with a rescue and feel you would want to review any of the techniques, just let me know.

I can't imagine getting a dog so soon after losing mine. It took us almost a year to decide to get another dog after our 15yo dog died.

I don't have any recommendations as far as breeds go, but I do agree you should get an older dog. We got a boxer that was 1 1/2 and it was perfect. He's still young enough to play with the kids, but he was house trained, knows basic commands and just slid into our lives easily.

My SIL has a lab puppy and has been here the last three weeks - l am SO thankful I'm not in charge of little puppy! It's exhausting just watching him!

I have been a foster for Almost Home Dog Rescue of Ohio, focusing on the collie breed, for 2 years. http://www.almosthomeohio.org/ (Lucy is my current foster if you look at the list of adoptable dogs).

I don't know exactly where you are in PA, but we have placed lots of dogs in that state.

I know exactly how you are feeling, as we lost our beloved 9 1/2 year old golden to cancer 2 years ago, and went through the same process of adopting our next companion. I wanted a 3-4 year old, dd (then 14) wanted a puppy. I caved and we adopted a 6 mo. old golden rescue. Now that she's almost 2, she's becoming much easier, but that first winter was rough.--all puppy. All of my fosters have been 2-4 years old, and while they all have had their issues, I think that's a wonderful age for a dog. They've been teachable, but not needing the same level of puppy-proofing.

If you want to talk by phone, send me a pm. I can put you in touch with our PA people who do home visits.

Beth

I know how hard it is to lose a beloved dog. :grouphug:

Being you are still dealing with health issues, I would think maybe wait till next Spring to get a dog.

How about a cat in the meantime?

We are planning on getting a dog after a long hiatus (we have 2 cats) and after looking at every breed on the AKC website I still want a German Shepherd. It was always my first choice (I have had 2) but I thought maybe I would get something smaller or gigantic (Newfoundland, Great Pyrennes).

One of my best dogs came from a kill shelter in New York City. He was a purebred German Shepherd (gorgeous!) and he was about 4-5 years old when we got him. It was love at first sight.

Good luck and get better soon!

I grew up with Newfoundlands and, as an adult, owned three golden retrievers, the last of whom I had to have put to sleep last week at age 14. All were wonderful big dogs, none was hyper. Shortly before Christmas, however, we ended up adopting a two-year old half-springer spaniel, half- border collie. We are certain of her parentage because she was an intentional cross by a relative, who gave her to another relative as a puppy, who then moved and could not keep her. I have never had a knee-high dog before, but I have to say, she's a good size. We can pick her up easily, she fits in the car and she isn't big enough to block all traffic when she intentionally lies in a high-traffic area in our house. Plus, while she does shed, it's just a lot less hair than a big dog would have.

Our "sprollie" (apparently this is a popular cross in England, where they even have a name) is an inside dog, as we do not even have an outside fence any more, and she is calmer than I would have expected of a half-border collie. Apparently the springer half of her tames the border collie half somewhat. If we had not ended up with her, we were considering an Aussie, a miniature Aussie or a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (Google them!), any of which would, I think, have given us Big Dog Personality in a Medium Dog Package.

Medium-sized dogs have a lot going for them, particularly if you can find one who thinks he is a big dog.

Good luck with your selection, and by all means, go for an adult dog. I have never gotten an adult dog before, but we have had no problems bonding her. After a few days, she was following my 10 year old around like she has bacon in her pockets. Hmmm, maybe she does have bacon in her pockets...

Terri

:grouphug: about losing Teddy. Some pets are just special. I feel that way about my parrot that died last summer -- too sad to try to "replace", but leaving a hole in the heart that wants to be filled anyway.

I would second the suggestion to look at Shelties, and maybe add mini Aussies since you are concerned about not getting a dog too big to lift and manage with health concerns down the line. You "should" get intelligence and definitely will get hairy with both those breeds. Pick carefully, though, because all breeds can come with hidden issues (such as shyness, a tendency to bond with just one person, etc.). Going even smaller, I've seen some very nice Papillons, too. Or you might fall in love with a mix (my personal favorite :001_smile:)

Regarding the puppy vs. adult issue. If both sides kept an open mind, and you got everyone to agree to look at adult dogs first, you might all find one you fall in love with. Smaller dogs seem more puppy-ish anyway (if you choose to get a smaller dog), so that might suit everyone.

Best of luck finding the perfect match to your family.

Our 8 year old rough collie, Teddy, died a couple of weeks ago of lymphoma and liver cancer. It was unexpected because when he was diagnosed, the only choice was to have him euthanized that day.

I am not ready to get another dog yet, because right now, I just want Teddy back. He was such a large part of my daily life, that I feel at loose ends every waking hour. Lately, I distract myself at night by reading dog forums and looking at breeder and rescue websites for hours. I will have to get another dog sometime because it is driving me crazy not to have one, or maybe I'm just going crazy because I don't have Teddy.

I have been thinking about buying a 2-3 year old dog, so it is past the puppy stage, and so it is old enough to be reliably tested for genetic diseases, other diseases, heart problems, tumors, and so forth.

I plan to contact reputable breeders and rescue groups this summer. I like large, very intelligent, easily trainable dogs who are beautiful, easy to handle, do not have high exercise requirements, are affectionate, and who have sweet, gentle temperaments.

Problem #1

Everyone else in the family, including DH, wants a rough collie puppy. I do not. I feel rather fragile after my recent heart attack, and I still have to have another angioplasty and stent because of a blocked artery in my leg that causes severe pain which prevents me from walking beyond very short distances.

I am the person who will spend the most time with the dog. I don't think I can handle the needs of a high-energy puppy. My preference is to get a smooth or rough female tricolor collie. I do not want a dog who looks exactly like Teddy. He was a sable male.

Your health needs trump others' preferences. A puppy is like a baby. Unless other family members are going to be the Mommy, I think they need to respect the real Mommy dog's needs.

Problem #2

We live in a rural area, on a 2-acre, unfenced lot, on a country road. People speed down the road, and farm equipment rolls by. It's nowhere near city traffic level, but still dangerous for a dog. There is a stream behind the house, with a very large pasture and woods. In those woods are deer and other wild animals. There is a dairy farm across the street.

Teddy liked being in the house, sitting on the front porch with me while we watched the cows parade to their pasture, taking walks, and running free (with me) in the pasture and woods behind the house. When he was younger, it wasn't safe to let him run free unless we were in the mountains deep in a forest where there was no traffic to chase.

So maybe where we live is not a good place to have anything except a small lap-dog type dog or a senior dog. It is a great place for a dog who won't go in the road and chase vehicles. But I don't want a small dog and I don't want an older dog because I do not want a dog who could die soon.

Can you fence your front yard? It doesn't have to be pretty fencing. You can also train a dog about boundaries.

I think your kind of road is the most dangerous because if you lived on a highway, the dog would know "danger all the time" and if you lived in the suburbs, most people drive slow enough to stop for a dog or for the dog to get out of the way. But a country road that people intermittently come tearing down is a problem. Lap dogs run into the road. Senior dogs run into the road. Any kind of dog is going to give potential road problem and require training and/or a fence. Problem #3

The kids are teenagers and will likely move out before the dog gets old. That will leave my husband and I to handle any dog emergency. Maybe we should get a dog we can pick up. We are 54 and 61 years old now, and not getting any younger. Teddy was a large collie and weighed 100 lbs. when he was healthy. I can mitigate this by getting a female dog.

I could also get another breed. There are female dogs with medium exercise requirements in the spaniel, retriever, poodle, and spitz families that weigh about 50 lbs. I'm not overly thrilled with them, but that is because my favorite breeds are shepherds, collies, and several giant breeds. I like big, hairy dogs.

I don't want to get a smaller dog in case someone steps on it. Plus, I've had terriers and beagles and they are too high strung and active for me. A more laid back breed suits me better.

I don't think planning for picking up in an emergency is a major criterion on which to choose a breed. In an emergency, you can call a neighbor or rig a sled-blanket/ramp to lift it. You may never have to lift your dog.Problem #4

I have looked at every dog on Petfinders that is located within 500 miles of me. If there is a breed (or mixed breed) that has many known health problems, and/or is popular with back yard breeders and puppy mills, and/or is a breed that could be violent or has extremely high exercise needs, it is on Petfinders in super abundance.

I am afraid of getting a dog that has genetic health problems or that has been so abused or neglected that it is mentally and behaviorally unstable.

A breed rescue organization might be a better choice, if only because the ones I have looked at house their dogs at foster homes. If the foster "parents" are honest, at least I would have a heads-up about the temperament and behavior of the dog and how easy she is to train and to groom. Plus, I can still take it to the vet to check it out fully.

I guess the upshot is that I want to be sure the dog is a good fit for our family, and that we are a good fit for the dog.

I know I have to get healthy enough to walk a dog before I get one. I expect my energy level will return to normal soon. I was doing pretty well after I had the heart attack, and then Teddy died, and now all of a sudden I don't have any energy. I'm still long-winded, obviously, but it's like my personality is gone.

So with all this in mind, what would a reasonable, sensible person choose to do? Maybe if I had a plan, it will give me something to look forward to and I can get out of this pit.

Thank you for your help!

RC

Answers posted within your answers. I think you're grieving for Teddy and that is natural. I would go with getting the dog sooner rather than later. I agree that a 2-3 year old dog is a great choice. If it has been fostered, it should already be trained in many ways and probably ready to be your walking companion. Until you can walk enough, your family members can do it.

Is it possible for you to fence in a part of your backyard? You could have it so you can open the back door to let him/her out, or even have a doggie door, and have as large an area as you can afford to fence in for the dog to run without danger of traffic and all. You've got three teenage boys who would make great fence builders with the right supervision. :D

I agree that you should get the dog sooner as your heart is breaking now. :grouphug: This dog won't be a replacement for Teddy as no dog could replace him. But this dog will make you smile and laugh and win your heart over. :) I don't think it's so important what age, or even what breed. Some of the healthiest dogs are mutts. I'd be visiting local shelters and giving them an idea of all the qualities you are looking for. Then they can show you if they have any who fit, or keep you in mind when one comes in. You'll know the right one when you meet them. :) There are so many great dogs who are homeless simply due to the economy. They would love a new family.

So you are doing the same thing I am! Thank God, it must be normal then. I thought I was losing my mind.

I am looking at mastiff rescue places. I don't necessarily want a pup either even though it would be ever so cute and fun but I have to work part-time and a dog that is at least 1-2 yrs old would fit us better.

I think you would do well going with Rescue organizations. You don't have to take any dog that comes along. You can meet the animal, get an impression, even find out what his/her history is. You can decide if you want a 1-2 year old or even an older dog. This is what I am planning on doing.

I am very much in the same situation as you. My ds has just moved out and pretty soon dh and I will move closer to where dh's job is.

Definitely, try to convince everyone that you have to get a dog YOU can deal with since you are the primary care giver.

Let me know what you find. I need a comrade in my misery.

I would recommend you go with a breed rescue agency that fosters their dogs. We got ours through Brittany Rescue, and they were very particular that the dog be a match for us and vice versa. We were able to visit her at the foster house and talk to the foster owners to get an idea of her behavior and temperament. Also, they were adament that, if she didn't work out, we were to contact them to get the dog back.

Border collies aren't that hyper. Well, I guess some are. Mine is supposedly a mix of some kind, but who knows. We got her at 2yo as a rescue and she's now 6.

Get a dog. Get her soon. Get the one that YOU want. Heal thyself with dog love. It's the best. :grouphug:

This my hyper border collie mix in her typical wild state:

post-8651-1353508455763_thumb.jpg

post-8651-1353508455763_thumb.jpg

Our family lost 2 dogs over the past 2 years. Both dogs died of old age. It's like losing a family member and I still miss them. I missed the presence of a dog, too. Also, I knew we had love and care to offer a dog that needed a home. We've recently adopted 2 dogs from our state prison program. We couldn't be more pleased. They are so well trained (tricks, obedience, house trained, etc) and both seem so appreciative of the home we have given them. Both dogs were strays and came from shelters. The prisoners had the dogs living with them in the cells. One of our dogs was in prison for 4 months and the other for 6 months. We skipped the puppy stage and I'm happy we did. I don't know if you are "stuck" on the collie breed. It does look like your state has a prison program. www.hopedogs.org

Have you considered going with a guide dog (frequently golden labs). I love my Golden Retriever now and he has an excellent temperment and is a pretty calm at my feet kind of dog but I know that they are high energy dogs and he could probably use more exercise than he gets. If I had it to do over again I would have probably went with a trained lab guide dog due to my health issues for both mine and the dog's sake. It seems like this is an excellent choice for an older person with health issues.

I would go with a breed rescue.

I like breed rescues, too.

We've recently adopted 2 dogs from our state prison program.

I think the state prison programs are wonderful. They help both the dogs and the inmates. Thank you for the URL; I will check it out.

Border collies aren't that hyper. Well, I guess some are.

Border collies are lovely dogs. There is no way I could provide the exercise needs to one, though. It would get bored. I read (online) and saw videos about BC owners who pay sheep farmers to allow their BC's to herd sheep. When Teddy was young, and we lived in a suburban town, I used to wish we had acreage and animals for him to herd. He would have loved having a real job.

Border collies are hugely represented on Petfinders and in shelters. I love the picture of your beautiful dog.

I would recommend you go with a breed rescue agency that fosters their dogs.

I have been haunting the breed rescue sites for collies, and looking at some for golden retrievers. I picked out several collies and one golden/collie mix that I liked, but they were adopted soon after that. I'm just window shopping right now, anyway.

My brother is dating a collie breeder who was returned a dog because the family had to move. We're in NJ. Would you like me to inquire for you?

Yes, please! I am specifically looking for a female tricolor, smooth or rough collie. Female so the dog is smaller than Teddy was, and tricolor because it isn't sable.

Our GSD and St. Bernard were 2 and 5 when we got them.

I have wanted a St. Bernard, since I was 5 years old. My favorite breeds include German and Belgian shepherds.

Have you considered Shetland Sheepdogs?

We had one when I was a kid. They are too small and lively for me now, though. That said, I am keeping the breed on my list just in case I change my mind.

All that to say, maybe an Aussie mix would suit you?

I have a friend who raises and trains Aussies, and I am familiar with the breed. They are not the dog for me. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

I would suggest you contact a breeder.

I agree. I plan to contact breeders and rescue organizations. I am not trying to replace Teddy. That is why I will not get a sable male rough collie -- I definitely do not want to take the chance that I will fall into expecting our next dog to be Teddy.

Edited by RoughCollie

Have you considered going with a guide dog (frequently golden labs).

I have a friend who works with guide dogs, and I don't think I need one. I have considered getting a golden retriever or a golden/collie mix.

Thank God, it must be normal then. I thought I was losing my mind.

Definitely, try to convince everyone that you have to get a dog YOU can deal with since you are the primary care giver.

Let me know what you find. I need a comrade in my misery.

I caution you about judging what is normal using me as a yardstick! :) I am not planning to back down about deciding I need a 2-3 year old dog. Everyone else can yap all they like, but they do not spend every minute of every day with the dog like I do. They do not train, feed, medicate, walk, or (usually) play with the dog. I am the Dog Queen around here.

Is it possible for you to fence in a part of your backyard?

Some of the healthiest dogs are mutts. I'd be visiting local shelters and giving them an idea of all the qualities you are looking for.

I have thought about putting in a fenced area. I'm pretty sure our landlord would allow me to do that because he will let us put in a large vegetable garden. Either one of these uses of the 2 acres of lawn would destroy the lawn... we would fix that before we move in 2 years or more' date=' though.

I have looked at all area shelters for dogs, online. I really don't want a mutt from a shelter because I am really, really concerned about temperament and have read about and seen too many shelter dog horror stories. I did find one Belgian shepherd that I really, really liked. I have read extensively about many dog breeds, and I know that breed would not be happy living here.

Plus, the beauty of the dog is very important to me. Not a day went by that I did not consciously appreciate Teddy's beauty. Very few shelter dogs have met my subjective standard of beauty. Teddy was a great dog in every way, and his beauty, to me, made him a living work of art.

Until you can walk enough, your family members can do it.

I did think of that. Teddy could barely flick his head and slip a collar, and the reason I didn't let anyone else walk him was that I didn't want him to get choked from a collar that wouldn't let him do that. The reason he could do that was that his head was narrower than his neck.

We would have to make a fenced area for the dog, for sure. I am concerned about a dog getting out accidentally, too.

Australian Shepherd maybe? Bearded Collie?
I have considered both breeds, but their exercise requirements are a lot higher than that of a rough collie.

Some pets are just special. I feel that way about my parrot that died last summer.

Oh gosh, that is awful. A friend of mine has an African Gray Parrot who is the most amazing animal I know. If anything happened to him, she would be devastated.

So many smaller breeds are very energetic dogs. I need a Calm Dog who does not have heavy exercise or work needs. A small dog would get stepped on. We moved into a 1500 s.f. house and all 6 of us are adult-sized. I'd rather have a big dog who blocks traffic paths than a small dog who will get crunched.

I thought about the more puppy-like small dog advantage, but here's the deal. While I think of myself as being a laid back person, my family and friends think I have an intense, type A personality. Upon reflection, they are correct and what I think of as being laid back is really my huge amount of self-control. This explains why high energy dogs jangle my nerves. I like them, but I cannot be around them all day.

My plan is that I will not back down about getting an adult dog. We will see what happens, because I cannot guarantee that I won't cave in except about gender and color. DH, bless his heart, asked me point blank whether I wanted a sable male collie puppy. This is after I stated many times that I want an adult, tricolor, female, smooth or rough, collie. I have known DH for 25 years and I am relieved that he asked me this question before he surprised me with what he thinks of as a Teddy clone.

I have never gotten an adult dog before, but we have had no problems bonding her.

I am sorry to hear about your golden retriever.

I have researched every single dog breed recognized by the AKC, designer "breeds", etc., both on the internet and using recently purchased books. It's what I do from 8 p.m. until 3-5 a.m. every night.

Being you are still dealing with health issues, I would think maybe wait till next Spring to get a dog. How about a cat in the meantime?

I am hoping that by June, my acute health problems will be resolved. I had cats for 14 years, but DD is highly allergic to them, so that idea won't work for us. It's a good one, though!

Some dog breeds are highly popular with back yard breeders and puppy mills because they are easy to sell. They, along with some so-called professional breeders, have done a great disservice to those breeds, resulting in genetic disease and temperament flaws that did not used to be present in the breed. That is why I am so careful about lineage. Because of this, and because I know the rough/smooth collie breed so well, I could take a chance on a rescue collie.

I have been a foster for Almost Home Dog Rescue of Ohio, focusing on the collie breed, for 2 years. http://www.almosthomeohio.org/

I have been to that website a few times. Thank you for offering to put me in touch with your PA people. When I am ready to apply, I will PM you.

I can't imagine getting a dog so soon after losing mine.

Me either. I'm not ready now, that is for sure, because I just want Teddy back -- the actual Teddy, not a replacement. When this stage of grieving is over, I will want another dog, though. Teddy was my constant companion. I feel like I'm missing my right arm. Maybe that feeling will go away, too, I don't know, but I doubt it.

If you do end up going with a rescue and feel you would want to review any of the techniques, just let me know.

Thank you, I will do that.

We went back and forth with the question of getting a puppy vs. an adult.

I would love to have a puppy, but right now in my particular circumstance, I think having an adult dog would be best.

That said, I do think Goldens are wonderful. If you get a good one, teach it its place in the family, and do some boundary training, it will reward you with its sweet nature and friendly companionship.

Goldens are on my short list, but due to their popularity, I'd probably get one from a reputable breeder.

I was in much the same situation as you five years ago. With your condition and your age, I would suggest you scale down the size.

I looked at breeds who are in the 30-40 pound range, and none are suitable for my personality. The top breeds on my list are rough/smooth collie, standard poodle, and golden retriever. I hope to get a small for the breed female.

Despite what I said, I will look at medium-sized breeds in person, just to be sure. I think part of my reluctance is that I am so used to having a big dog who is calm. He certainly wasn't as calm when he was younger. He was never as energetic as a border collie or a lab, but he was a typical collie.

I would not be lifting the dog myself. DH can easily lift a 50-60 lb. dog.

We finally settled on a standard poodle and he was about 10 weeks old. Due to the territorial issues, I would really think twice about getting one that is older unless the owner really knew what they were doing with it.

I like standard poodles, and they are on my short list. My sister had one, and that is the breed she suggested. Thank you for telling me about the territorial issues. I wasn't aware of that.

Edited by RoughCollie

Stick with collies. My Laddie has been gone for 16 years and sometimes I still look for him when I'm dreaming.

Collies fit my personality perfectly -- we go together like a hand and a glove. The only things I don't like about collies are the puppy nipping stage, and that they will chase anything that moves, including vehicles.

Problem #1

Problem #2

Problem #3

Problem #4

Thank you for your help!

RC

So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. My pom, Sammy, had to be put to sleep this year. I was told to wait a while for a poochie. But my heart ached for another doggie friend. I used pet finder to find my newest friend, Snickers. He's a 5 year old bichon/poodle mix. When I went to see him at the rescue place he "spoke" to me when I pet him. I went back a couple days later and brought him home. He's different from my Sammy, but I'm so glad I got him. He's a giver and he's given so much to us already. My vote it to not wait. Look. If a doggie soul connects to yours you'll know.

My vote it to not wait. Look. If a doggie soul connects to yours you'll know.

I know exactly what you mean. I like all dogs (within reason), but I have connected with only a few of them, and that is of supreme importance to me.

I have to wait. I am not in any emotional condition to get a dog now. I know this because I've tried to imagine what it would be like to have another dog. Every time I do, I am in the role of dog caretaker only -- my heart is uninvolved.

I am going to ask a friend of mine to bring her dog over next time she visits. He is a beagle/basset hound mix and I really like him. I don't want a dog like him, but I want to see if I still respond to him the same way. Will he be like just any dog now, or will I still think he's great and enjoy being around him? Reading this over, I sound like a weirdo.

I'm going to stop staying up so late reading dog books and the internet.

Edited by RoughCollie

It sounds like you're not ready yet' date=' but praying you're ready soon. :grouphug:[/quote']

Thank you. I haven't been around any dogs since Teddy died. Tomorrow afternoon, DH and I are visiting a collie breeder. We aren't going to buy a dog. I just want to be around them again, and to talk to the breeder.

I also emailed a wheaten terrier breeder who is about 90 miles away, so we can visit him maybe next weekend.

I'm kind of nervous about this. I hope it doesn't make me miss Teddy even more.

Edited by RoughCollie

I'm so sorry to hear about your Teddy, Rough Collie. We lost our first dog at only 8, and we basically did nothing but cry for a week. It was the same sort of sudden onset of terminal illness and it felt very unfair.

Collies are a gorgeous breed. It seems that it could certainly be possible to get a retired show dog around 2 or 3 years of age, especially one who'd had her puppies and was ready to be spayed. Our breeder often places his retired and finished dogs, and we know another breeder who recently placed one of her finished dams. It might take a few more months of waiting, but seems like a very reasonable way to proceed.

I do want to recommend the Cardigan Corgi to you. The beauty may not be the same (although since we've gotten ours, all other dogs look freakishly tall to me!) but the calm, sensible, and yet courageous and attentive personality feels very similar to me. Ours will lie down on the floor so that toddlers can get closer to her and feel comfortable with her, yet she fearlessly treed several raccoons in our yard. The Cardigan is no "little dog." Anyhow, not to ramble on and on, but if you are considering a smaller package, I recommend the Cardigan as a healthy, athletic breed with none of the high-strung energy of most smaller breeds. Plus, they're not big on the puppy-mill circuit yet, so they don't suffer as much from popularity.

I'm sorry for your loss, Rough Collie. I somewhat understand because I'm already wondering what we're going to do w/o our wonderful border collie/spaniel mix. He will be 15 in April. We're lucky he's still doing okay, but he's so old that I worry anything could happen. I don't think we could ever find another dog with his perfect-for-us disposition, but I can't imagine not having a dog, either. I don't know what we'll do, and I dread the day we'll be faced with that situation. Hugs to you as you go through this. I vote you go with a collie or collie mix. If there is a mobile vet in your area, that might help you out with the weight issue and being able to lift or not if needed. If the vet can come to your house (our does), maybe weight wouldn't matter as much. Oh, I vote no to the puppy, too. I do know we won't do the puppy thing. Our dog was 1 yr, and that was perfect.

I do want to recommend the Cardigan Corgi to you. The beauty may not be the same (although since we've gotten ours, all other dogs look freakishly tall to me!) but the calm, sensible, and yet courageous and attentive personality feels very similar to me.

Actually, that is a breed I have considered. Thanks for recommendation.

Here's one more breed to consider. :D We had a Norwegian Elkhound when I was a kid and I just LOVED her! I think she was pure. (She looked exactly like the pics on the wiki link.) Someone abandoned her out on our land so we don't know her details. Although, she seemed middle-aged when she became ours. She was beautiful, loyal, smart, trained, docile, and rarely barked, but for apparent danger or if she was hurt. She was great with us kids and she would sit by our feet mostly.

Thank you. I haven't been around any dogs since Teddy died. Tomorrow afternoon, DH and I are visiting a collie breeder. We aren't going to buy a dog. I just want to be around them again, and to talk to the breeder.

I also emailed a wheaten terrier breeder who is about 90 miles away, so we can visit him maybe next weekend.

I'm kind of nervous about this. I hope it doesn't make me miss Teddy even more.

I do think getting another dog to love can be very healing, but in my experience, yes, it will make you miss your beloved dog more. But not all the time. My best girl has been gone a little over 3 years now, and I can still be brought to tears thinking about her. I'm tearing up now. The little girl I have now is a real sweet pea, and I love her. Really. Just not like I loved my big girl. And that's ok. What I expected. Then sometimes she's just with me, doing whatever we're doing, or doing nothing, and I feel this deep togetherness bond that forces me to look at her and touch her and acknowledge that it's my little girl, not my dearest. And the feeling makes me so happy and so very sad at the same time. Now I'm actually crying. Good luck deciding. Take your time, but don't wait forever. Dogs are wonderful creatures, and you will be glad to have whichever one you choose even if you're also sad. :grouphug:

I know exactly what you are feeling---we unexpectedly lost our 7 1/2 year old Aussie male on Feb 3 :001_huh: He had hemangiosarcoma that took him out within less than 6 weeks from his first symptom. He was my daily walking buddy the entire 7 1/2 years, and recently had been getting my husband to walk with me. We miss him SOOO much----but can't even think about another dog right now. Of course we do have our remaining 11 yo female Aussie, but she is such a different personality. Totally content to sit around at home all day. But I totally understand the fear of getting another dog that will end up having some horrible genetic condition----it's crossed my mind too many times since we lost Mojo, especially since he appeared to be in peak health right up until his very first symptom, which appeared to be a stroke.

Agreeing with what others are saying: PLEASE stick to your guns and don't get a puppy!! So sorry about your health problems, and having to do all the work for a puppy sounds like way too much for you. Way too much.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest something totally different though, just in case you have not thought about it. What about a cat? And not just any cat, but something like a Ragdoll, Maine Coon or Siamese? The first 2 are both large companion cats that would hang out with you like a dog and Siamese are well known for their incredible bonding, but of course cats don't take NEAR the work of dogs. I suggest this because by coincidence it just so happens that we found an abandoned kitten mid October----and I tell you this little blue-eyed Siamese mix has really helped fill that terrible void left by our Mojo! For some reason, she is just the most affectionate little thing and comes and purrs and cuddles just when we need it most----and she actually became noticeably more affectionate literally the day we had to put Mojo down. I hope I don't sound insensitive by suggesting a cat----but cats can be just as much companions as dogs with less physical work for you and much easier to take to the vet if they are sick.

I vote you go with a collie or collie mix. If there is a mobile vet in your area, that might help you out with the weight issue and being able to lift or not if needed. If the vet can come to your house (our does), maybe weight wouldn't matter as much. Oh, I vote no to the puppy, too. I do know we won't do the puppy thing. Our dog was 1 yr, and that was perfect.

There aren't any mobile vets here -- which reminds me, there are so many farm animals, I could ask a farmer to recommend a vet -- maybe they would come out for a dog, too. The closest emergency vet is an hour away. They will come but it costs $200 for them to bring the dog to their clinic. When Teddy's hind end was suddenly paralyzed in early November, that was our solution.

We visited a collie breeder today. All of the dogs had an eyes that they were too small, IMO.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest something totally different though, just in case you have not thought about it. What about a cat?

We cannot have a cat because my DD is highly allergic to them. If a DSH is in the same room with her, and she is nowhere near it, she will have an allergy attack.

I have a 5 year old half sheltie/half border collie who is a spayed female and weighs 37 pounds. She is an indoor dog but loves going outside as well. She is up to date on all of her shots as well at her last vet check June 2010.

We have to find a good home for her since we are moving from PA to DC:(. She is a good dog. I have a couple of leads from rescue organizations for her. PM if you are interested.