Menu

If you were going to do a degree just for fun,

Medical history, including the history of the nomenclature. I would love to rove from school to school and present this topic, too.

I'd love to see if Emil Fischer was worth a good biography (but I'd have to learn German, first)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Emil_Fischer

( I agree that he was one of the greatest scientists of all time. I remember studying the Fischer Proofs in orgo, and feeling suddenly lightheaded. I had been holding my breath as the lecturer spoke, for they were soooooooo beautiful.)

I'd love to learn Homeric Greek.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Linguistics.

I actually am working through two teaching company videos right now:

1. Understanding Linguistics

2. The History of the English Language

I am also enjoying working through Latin Alive so I can teach LfC.

(Not for a degree, just for fun.)

I heard that was another killer one. You are brave.

Medical history, including the history of the nomenclature. I would love to rove from school to school and present this topic, too.

I'd love to see if Emil Fischer was worth a good biography (but I'd have to learn German, first)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Emil_Fischer

( I agree that he was one of the greatest scientists of all time. I remember studying the Fischer Proofs in orgo, and feeling suddenly lightheaded. I had been holding my breath as the lecturer spoke, for they were soooooooo beautiful.)

Did you have to take a medical history course in med school, kalanamak?

Did you have to take a medical history course in med school, kalanamak?

No, few schools have anything like this, and even the local school's history and bioethics department is now just bioethics. The WOW and dazzle of modern medicine has made it feel like it is in a class by itself, and not connected to the thousands upon thousands who carefully, riskily, pondered over diseases, noting them, describing them, tinkering with them, all in a blind hope that someday, somehow, something they did would lead to something better in who knows how many centuries.

Well, by 'another language' I mean something other than English. I have a minor in Spanish.

It might be fun to get a degree in any of the following languages:

Dutch

Spanish

Italian

Portuguese

Russian

Chinese

Japanese

or even something very abstract like Euskara (the Basque language)

Of course, in over half of my list, I know *nothing* about the languages, so I'd really be starting from the beginning!!! I might be about 102 years old by the time I'd get the degree too. ;):lol:

I can't imagine doing Chinese. Nick Kristof had a column a few months back on how long it takes to master Chinese, and how important immersion is, and honestly, I wouldn't even have the energy to try. I bet some moms here have degrees in that language, though. I wonder what they would say about how hard it is and how long it would take to learn . . .

No, few schools have anything like this, and even the local school's history and bioethics department is now just bioethics. The WOW and dazzle of modern medicine has made it feel like it is in a class by itself, and not connected to the thousands upon thousands who carefully, riskily, pondered over diseases, noting them, describing them, tinkering with them, all in a blind hope that someday, somehow, something they did would lead to something better in who knows how many centuries.

Thought-provoking and humbling.

Medical history, including the history of the nomenclature.

Those sound good, too. And Koine Greek, I forgot about that one. I hope to add in Greek when my children are older.

I recently read the Landmark book "Great Men of Medicine," it was an interesting history of medicine. I have a biology undergrad and while I have no desire to go I to any type of medical field, history and current research in some areas interest me.

Do you have an area of religion that particularly interests you, MLW? I remember meeting a woman who said that she had written her senior thesis on the difference between fundamentalists and pentecostals. Sounded very interesting . . .

I haven't thought too deeply about it as it's a bit of a pipe dream right now, but I love the Medieval period and how Christianity, Islam, and Judaism all seem to almost collide (well, I guess in some ways they did collide). But, modern day religion and fundamentalism across the board is fascinating as well - the rise of it and how, especially in America, fundamentalism has come to define religion (at least according to the media).

Architecture. I had attempted this at one time, but I couldn't cut the math required to get past the first semester of coursework. So, instead, I continued my fine arts studies and branched out into fine arts history -- the sad refuge of those who aspire and admire, but cannot actualize. The buildings I create in my mind are my secret inspirations for many things, but I lack the training and ability to realize any of them.

Oh, I forgot about architecture. I always wanted to be an architect. I did three years of architecture in high school and loved every minute of it. I still draw for fun. But, my dad was a civil engineer and told me that there was no job/money in architecture and I needed to be a civil engineer. So, I basically majored in liberal arts instead, and went into education. :tongue_smilie: I have thought about going back to school for a degree in architecture just for fun.

Did I say I love Paul Krugman? :D

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/

I really like Paul Krugman. I just don't often get around to reading his blog.

I am currently considering Australian Indigenous Studies and Creative Writing as a double degree.

I dont know if I can justify the debt though as its not a career oriented thing.

I am also interested in Anthropology, Ethnobotany, Permaculture and Sustainability. I think I need a few more lifetimes to cover it all :)

That sounds so hard! I took Structure of the English Language in college and barely survived! I'm so glad you like linguistics, though!

I almost typed linguistics, but for some reason that sounds boring to me. But then I guess phonics, grammar, and morphology sound boring to most people.

Before I met my husband, I was filling out applications for law school. I don't know whether I'd do that now.

Since going back to college for fun isn't going to happen any time soon, maybe I'll get the Teaching Company DVD's that were mentioned. It's a start. :tongue_smilie: ETA: My library has them. YAY!

Edited by LizzyBee

I almost typed linguistics, but for some reason that sounds boring to me. But then I guess phonics, grammar, and morphology sound boring to most people.

Regular people, yes. But, not to me! And, there are dozens of people here, maybe even more, who enjoy learning and talking about those topics.

(I do have to be careful in real life, though, I can get carried away about phonics and sight words and there are not many people who are interested in too many details. Most people do find the progress my students have made interesting, though.)

Since going back to college for fun isn't going to happen any time soon, maybe I'll get the Teaching Company DVD's that were mentioned. It's a start. :tongue_smilie: ETA: My library has them. YAY!

YAY!!

I had to interrupt my Horticulture + Landscape Design studies to begin homeschooling dd11. Someday I'll get back to taking classes.

My other degrees are in chemistry :D

I would love to do Horticulture and Landscape Design! I'd also love to go back for Environmental Science and Elementary Ed. (One year and I could have a degree in El. Ed. since I already have a teaching degree in a different area.)

Just one?

Currently I'm working my way to becoming a Sign Language Interpreter. I'd love to go back and study so many things though....

Do any local colleges hire sign language interpreters? You could interpret classes for college students, and get paid to sit in class...

What a fun topic!

Well, if all my medical problems just magicallly disappeared I would love to finish my masters degree in city planning (I am SO close :glare:) and eventually get a PhD in it. I would also love to take classes in architecture, math, ASL, sociology and anthropology. When I was younger I wanted to go to medical school but it was physically too rigorous for my poor broken body :001_smile:.

It is always good to dream...

Marisa

(I do have to be careful in real life, though, I can get carried away about phonics and sight words and there are not many people who are interested in too many details.

:lol: You're too cute. I can just picture that scenario. You're all excited and talking about words and their eyes just start to glaze over. hehehehe That happens to me all the time when I talk about my interests. hehe

I love words too. I remember when I was in college I had to write an 800 word paper on the etymology of a SINGLE WORD. I was terrified when I got the assignment thinking, how in the world am I going to write 800 words on a single word. The research proved to be fascinating and I enjoyed it so much. I've always had a thing for the origins of words especially with English since so many words originate from SO MANY different languages. I wound up having something like 1,500 words when I wrote my first draft and had to find ways to shorten it down to the 800 words! :lol: lol I think I've loved etymologies ever since. :)

:lol: You're too cute. I can just picture that scenario. You're all excited and talking about words and their eyes just start to glaze over. hehehehe That happens to me all the time when I talk about my interests. hehe

I love words too. I remember when I was in college I had to write an 800 word paper on the etymology of a SINGLE WORD. I was terrified when I got the assignment thinking, how in the world am I going to write 800 words on a single word. The research proved to be fascinating and I enjoyed it so much. I've always had a thing for the origins of words especially with English since so many words originate from SO MANY different languages. I wound up having something like 1,500 words when I wrote my first draft and had to find ways to shorten it down to the 800 words! :lol: lol I think I've loved etymologies ever since. :)

Yes, eyes glazing over is always a bad sign!

I have a book about etymologies somewhere, but I'm not sure where I shelved it this move. It is poorly written, however. I also have a book about the origin of famous phrases and strange idioms, that one is written in a more engaging style and I've read a lot more from that book.

Yes, eyes glazing over is always a bad sign!

I have a book about etymologies somewhere, but I'm not sure where I shelved it this move. It is poorly written, however. I also have a book about the origin of famous phrases and strange idioms, that one is written in a more engaging style and I've read a lot more from that book.

Oh that would be a fun book! I'd be all over that. :) What is the author/title?? Do you know it off hand?? :)

Oh that would be a fun book! I'd be all over that. :) What is the author/title?? Do you know it off hand?? :)

That one is properly shelved!

It is "Dictionary of Proverbs and their Origins" by Linda and Roger Flavell.

It says it is just proverbs, but some of them seem more like idioms than proverbs. At any rate, it is an interesting book.

That one is properly shelved!

It is "Dictionary of Proverbs and their Origins" by Linda and Roger Flavell.

It says it is just proverbs, but some of them seem more like idioms than proverbs. At any rate, it is an interesting book.

Thank you so much! :) I appreciate your taking the time to look it up. :grouphug:

Awesome! Thank you again! It's officially added to the wish list. :) ETA: Went back and just bought it. lol Thanks again for the recommendation. It looks like a fun read. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Art History.

I feel such a study would allow me to be even greater italophile than I am at the moment (and I'm a pretty hopeless one, honestly believing that Italy is about the greatest phenomenon that ever occurred on Earth in all but my darkest moments... and even then Italy is pretty decent in my eyes :lol:). It would, maybe, also show my lycee Art History professor that I'm not such a failure as she told me I was (when I "failed" to agree with her on the topic of what was the most aesthetically pleasing church in Rome).

And one day, when I will have raised all those kids, I promised to myself, I will get a doctorate in Latin too.

French literature is also one of my "would-have-been"s (I considered studying in Paris), but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I'm maybe too "classical" for most of it, i.e. it's more isolated areas which interest me rather than the whole. I love my Racine and my... Racine. :D

Edited by Ester Maria

I was so lucky in college to get in a wonderful Honors program with great teachers.

I'd love to just take courses there again.

Or I'd love to become a tour guide at a Civil War battlefield. That would take me a couple years of study. :lol: And a move so I'd actually be NEAR a battlefield.

For a degree -- maybe a law degree w/a concentration in the US Constitution. Is that possible?

Maybe a history degree but with a really specific focus like early 20th century America?

Maybe a degree in criminology?

I can't even decide on a fantasy degree!

Psychology (I found out too late in my college years that I have a knack for that field, and I've always regretted not switching and staying in a bit longer)

Wildlife and forestry mgmt (this wasn't on my radar at all way back when, but now I think i'd love it - plus, I've wanted to live in every state and nat'l park I've ever visited!)

Archeology (all of this ancient history makes me want to see as much as possible up close)

I'm doing that right now! I'm working on a BS focusing on Birth to age 5 with a Montessori concentration. My classes are preparing me to take the certification exam with a Montessori association that will allow me to be a teacher anywhere from infant through primary (classroom for ages 3 to 6). At this point in time, I have no plans to actually get a job with this degree. I figure I'll see how I feel when I actually graduate which won't be until December 2012. The Montessori system of education absolutely fascinates me and I want to learn MORE, MORE, MORE!

Thankfully I have DH's full support. This is costing us a great deal because I don't qualify for any financial aid other than loans, which we don't feel is a good idea for us.

Wildlife and forestry mgmt (this wasn't on my radar at all way back when, but now I think i'd love it - plus, I've wanted to live in every state and nat'l park I've ever visited!)

I remember in high school we had to take one of those career survey things and wildlife/forestry management came up very high on the list for me. At the time I thought I was going in pre-med (actually did go into college pre-med though that didn't last long), and totally blew it off. But, I would love that now. And if it meant I could live in Yosemite Nat'l Park full time, I'd totally be up for it. ;)

I'd do medicinal chemistry+pharmacy. Especially if I didn't have to work in a lab to study them :D

Oh, and I'd learn Russian. I had a job once that occaionally required me to transliterate Russian, and I've been fascinated with it ever since.

Edited by bonniebeth4

I would love to go to college and just listen to the lectures. I can totally see me auditing classes when I am old and grey.

I wanted to share a great little resource with you all that you may find at your library; especially the theology, philosophy and history students.

The Modern Scholar. They are similar to The Teaching Company video lectures, but they are are audio. Each is a 35+ minute lecture, and there are 14 lectures in each set. If you search around you will find them on iTunes, Audible.com and other downloadable audio book websites. I have really enjoyed some of the series, especially the one by Timothy Shutt on CS Lewis.

There is a blog for The Modern Scholar but I haven't really looked into it to see what is there.