Menu

would you purchase a TV series on DVD?

Yes. Some we have we bought and some are gifts. And most of them we do watch over - good shows are like good books. Really good books are re-readable, and really good shows are re-watchable. (And I think that more TV shows these days are being written to be re-watchable, with more layers and details, because the writers and producers know that they'll be released as DVD sets.)

We have, among other things: Dr. Who, Star Trek (TNG & DS9), Sports Night, Sharpe, & Dirty Jobs.

We have many TV series on DVD, but our rule is that they must be $20 or under for the season. (We've made a few very rare exceptions.) Around Thanksgiving last year, my dd found all 5 seasons of Stargate Atlantis for $10/season. She also found a complete Dr. Quinn series for $55--7 seasons and all the movies. It's fun to watch some of those older series again.

I have in the past, but now only purchase a few Region 2 DVDs for shows not available in North America. I don't think buying DVDs is cost effective when in a relatively short time most TV shows and movies are going to be available as streaming content on Netflix and similar services.

We have a few but we try to choose things that we'll watch together and then watch 1-2 each time we watch. We're actually working our way through Buffy right now and have Angel to watch when that finishes (both of which I got the full series set for about $10 a season).

We also have:

Charmed

Firefly

Gilmore Girls

Homicide

a few kids ones:

Ducktales

Gargoyles

I'd love to have some of the Star Treks but they're just SOO expensive :(

I have started to buy TV series on DVD. My reason being that I don't usually get to watch shows when they come on at their scheduled times. When I have the DVDs I can watch the shows when it suits me. Sometimes I watch them every day, other times I go months without watching them but I like having the control.

I have bought Lost, Castle, Little House on the Prairie and The Good Wife on DVD. I am contemplating buying The Closer and The Snoop Sisters (a series I loved when I was a kid) sometime in the near future.

We have the following series on DVD, and we've watched them multiple times. On New Years we have often picked a series and done a mini-marathon (after the girls go to bed :) of course)

Alias

Jerico

Firefly

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Season 1 of Fringe

Various Charlie and Lola collections

We have quite a few BBC costume dramas, but I don't really count them as TV series, even though I guess they are...

Wish list:

Doctor Who - we can watch them on Netflix and we have purchased some on iTunes, but I'd like to see the extras.

Season 2 of Fringe

JAG

Magnum PI (oh now, now I'm going to be singing the theme song all day -- used to be my ringtone!)

V when it comes out

Edited by BikeBookBread

We have the following series on DVD, and we've watched them multiple times. On New Years we have often picked a series and done a mini-marathon (after the girls go to bed :) of course)

Alias

Jerico

Firefly

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Season 1 of Fringe

Various Charlie and Lola collections

We have quite a few BBC costume dramas, but I don't really count them as TV series, even though I guess they are...

Wish list:

Doctor Who - we can watch them on Netflix and we have purchased some on iTunes, but I'd like to see the extras.

Season 2 of Fringe

JAG

Magnum PI (oh now, now I'm going to be singing the theme song all day -- used to be my ringtone!)

V when it comes out

Can I come to your house?? :) I'll bring food. :D Seriously, that's an awesome list! hehe I love Charlie and Lola, Band of Brothers and Firefly (why oh why did that show get cancelled?? :confused: )

Can I come to your house?? :) I'll bring food. :D Seriously, that's an awesome list! hehe I love Charlie and Lola, Band of Brothers and Firefly (why oh why did that show get cancelled?? :confused: )

I never had even heard of Firefly until someone loaned us the series on DVD. We stayed up all night watching :tongue_smilie: I've never done that before! DH and I went out the next day and bought it!

I never had even heard of Firefly until someone loaned us the series on DVD. We stayed up all night watching :tongue_smilie: I've never done that before! DH and I went out the next day and bought it!

LOL Same thing with us. DH kept seeing it at the library and never heard of it so he brought it home. We went on a marathon watching several each day until we finished it. That was a great show. I don't know why, with all the garbage that's on tv, that show got cancelled. :( I think they made a movie of it as well. My memory stinks, but I thought they did and I'm pretty sure I saw it if they did, but can't remember now! lol That's the good thing about a memory like mine, it's so bad I can watch something I've seen before and it's like the first time all over again. lol :)

LOL Same thing with us. DH kept seeing it at the library and never heard of it so he brought it home. We went on a marathon watching several each day until we finished it. That was a great show. I don't know why, with all the garbage that's on tv, that show got cancelled. :( I think they made a movie of it as well. My memory stinks, but I thought they did and I'm pretty sure I saw it if they did, but can't remember now! lol That's the good thing about a memory like mine, it's so bad I can watch something I've seen before and it's like the first time all over again. lol :)

Serenity. It's streaming on Netflix...it's really good! Wraps up quite a few loose ends.

Ah TUDORS yes...my my King Henry. If only he was truly that handsome. GRRRRRR!!!!!;)

I'm watching The Tudors right now and that actually bothers me. :lol: Images of the real Henry keep popping into my head whenever the actor is on screen. Well that and the fact that Anne looks like a mean girl from high school.

There are not many things I watch more than once but some movies and some series are just worth it to me.

I own all of Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and everything Joss Whedon ever did with the exception of Dollhouse.

Also season 1 &2 of Big Bang theory but I am done with that as it got SO not family friendly and I am mad it it, it didn't have to get smutty. It was sweet, and cute and funny at first and it should have stayed that way. But I digress. (I can and do, however watch the Bath Item Gift Hypothesis and the Adhesive Duck Deficiency over and over and over)

Planet Earth, Blue Planet and Life are spectacular and breathtaking and I never get tired of them.

Planet Earth, Blue Planet and Life are spectacular and breathtaking and I never get tired of them.

:iagree::iagree: OOOOH I've seen some of those. I love the one on Dolphins that's narrated by Pierce Brosnan. I've probably seen it maybe 4 or 5 times. :)

I've been watching through Lark Rise to Candleford (a BBC series), and it's so excellent that I would definitely pay to own all four seasons. It's just like a British Little House on the Prairie, only it's not written for children. It's about a 16-year-old girl who leaves her tiny hamlet to work for the postmistress in the neighboring village.

We like watching without the horrid commercials, and some of the shows we want to watch aren't available for streaming. Also we buy a lot of shows that we want to be able to share with our dc when they get older.

We have all of the Sharpe's Rifles episodes that we got from the UK cheap (we figured out how to get a zone free dvd player)

Sapphire and Steel, another British show

Fawlty Towers

Black Adder

Monty Python

Prime Minister

Babylon 5

Star Trek (original)

Battlestar Gallactica (original)

Davy Crockett

Little House on the Prairie

...I'll stop there.

Oh, I forgot about Firefly and Buck Rogers!

OH I am so jealous!!! I could watch (and drool) Sharpes Rifles over and over!! It is SO expensive though. Sean Bean, be still my heart.

are Cosby Show and Little House on the Prairie, because my daughter received them as gifts. I don't buy movies or TV series because I hate the clutter. That's why I love Netflix. And I'm like you, I usually only want to see something once. Although I have watched The Cosby Show series more than once. I do love that show!

This has nothing to do with my other TV thread, I am just curious.

I personally only watch a TV show once. I may catch a rerun if nothing else is on, but I wouldn't watch it on DVD more than once.

I have often wondered why people buy a TV series on DVD and if they watch them multiple times.

Dawn

We have purchased all the Office sets and the first Community season.

All 5 of us love the shows and we do watch them more than once.

If the Life series is the one we've seen it was gorgeous, and I'd love to buy the whole lot. We've got Life in the Freezer, and Life of Birds, I think. I'll keep adding to them bit by bit, but they're fairly expensive here.

Min

In the past I have, absolutely. I enjoy rewatching TV and I like good TV better than movies in many ways. However, we have Netflix now and I must say... the world has changed. I don't really feel like I want to own media anymore. I also gave up all my music and just stream through my Rhapsody account. I'd rather license the use of it instead.

I have now realized I forgot a lot. We also have Blue Planet and Planet Earth. Also a few seasons of old Dragnet, I think the girls bought a DVD of A Team, and my son bought some war one like Victory at Sea or something like that. Then also my dh got Monty Python tv show. So I did forget a lot.

Which reminds me that I want to buy some more.

I have several seasons of Little House

Some Sid the Science Kid

and I'd have Babylon 5 DVDs if we could afford it -- when I had them on VHS, recorded off TV I watched them over and over

I also used to watch Star Trek over and over, but they take up too much space the way they are releasing them on DVD.

I admit that I have all 7 seasons of Buffy on DVD.

I also just caved and bought the first 3 seasons of Big Bang Theory.

Please pretend I never posted that. ;)

Yes, we have watched Buffy at least 5 times now. It was our first (set that is). We own all of Joss and have watched them all more than once. My kids constantly recycle Friends. My brother has been wanting to borrow it for years now but there is always a kid watching it. We have seen the entire series at least 10 times and it is still funny every time. Our collection is still growing. We love Big Bang Theory too.

Yes, my DVD addiction is almost as bad as my book addiction. We currently own:

Roswell

Charmed

Buffy

Angel

Firefly

Smallville

Fringe

Psych

Monk

Bones

House

Grey's Anatomy

And we are wanting:

Dollhouse

Big Bang Theory

Eureka

Lie to Me

And then I have a list of series that I haven't even started yet but want to watch and I am sure I will want to buy some of those too. I don't sleep so I need to be entertained while other people sleep.

I watch really cheesy tv. I have Burn Notice (Michael Westen makes cleaning the kitchen more fun), Friends, Gilmore Girls, Mad Men. I also watch some stuff on iTunes, so I don't have the actual DVDs. Things like The Good Guys, Castle or The Mentalist.

I have the entire series of Firefly. I have some seasons of Star Trek. We have 3 seasons of The Muppet Show, the first two seasons of Fraggle Rock, he entire Monty Python collection. We have the first two seasons of Land of the Lost. We have some cheap DVDs with a mish-mash of old tvr episodes (not in order or anything) like The Lone Ranger. I'm sure I'm missing some of what we own.

Yes, we buy some of our favorites. We'd love to have all the Star Trek, but they are pricey. We haven't bought many recently, but yes there are some we watch over and over.

:iagree: We have all of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis dvds and we do watch them over and over again.

Someone mentioned Netflix streaming and how some series are available for streaming and some are not. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but this *does* change.

Three years ago when we started streaming Netflix, ALL of the CBS shows were available for "instant watch" including NCIS, CSI, Numbers. Now they are NOT. :glare: So we have maintained our 3-at-a-time & unlimited streaming.

Currently there are several series that I would purchase if Netflix stops streaming them:

Buffy

Eureka

Stargate SGU

Angel

Bones

Battlestar Galatica

X-Files

No, and I've often wondered the same thing. I don't even get buying a movie, since I don't generally watch movies more than once, and then I can get them from Netflix or the library whenever I want them. DH has a bunch of series and movies on DVD that he won't let me declutter, and he literally has not watched any of them in years. I'm with you :D