Menu

Have you tried FiveFingers shoes?

I didn't even know these things existed until I saw a young man wearing them on a plane flight recently. Another passenger was asking about them and he says that it took some getting used to but now he considers them the next best thing to being barefoot.

I love being barefoot. Would I like these shoes?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Pegasus

The people at work who wear them, wear them a couple of times and then I never hear about them again.

Two things I did notice: if you have a portly figure, they make you look fatter. They look best on tall thin drinks of water.

The other was that the guy who is always quacking about "the system" suddenly abandoned them when he applied for a significant promotion to leadership. :lol:

DH and I have them and LOVE them.

They are super comfortable, just for walking around and they are great for running, too. We wear ours all the time, mostly when it's warm to cold out. They are a little warm for the Texas summer, but that may just be me because I have such hot feet.

They certainly aren't the prettiest shoes, but you buy them for comfort - definitely not style :D

I cannot imagine wearing them for every day unless there it was for a specific foot issue.

My husband has a pair for running. All the cool kids are racing in them these days. Well, if you are REALLY cool you run barefoot but even my dh isn't that crazy.

He wanted them to help deal with a calf problem and they did seem to help.

They take time to get used to, at least for running. Many muscles in the foot/lower leg have become weak due to the support of shoes. The five finger shoes force those muscles to work. They suggest starting out with 1/4 to 1/2 mile runs and my husband found out that was a very good suggestions. It took a while before they were comfortable.

He would LOVE them for boating as well.

I want a pair for running and hiking.

He only wears them in the warm weather. Now everything is covered with snow so he is back in sneakers for all his running.

He wanted them to help deal with a calf problem and they did seem to help.

They take time to get used to, at least for running. Many muscles in the foot/lower leg have become weak due to the support of shoes. The five finger shoes force those muscles to work. They suggest starting out with 1/4 to 1/2 mile runs and my husband found out that was a very good suggestions. It took a while before they were comfortable.

That does make sense, but then where does my podiatrist's advice not to go barefoot/stocking foot and to wear shoes with better support fit in? I'm pretty sure she'd say that even if I didn't have anything wrong with my feet.

That does make sense, but then where does my podiatrist's advice not to go barefoot/stocking foot and to wear shoes with better support fit in? I'm pretty sure she'd say that even if I didn't have anything wrong with my feet.

Mine does to. There are people doing Insanity with those Five Fingers. I am intrigued but I don't have the nerve!

Do you wear toe socks with them? Or special socks?

I don't mind slipping on Keds with no socks, but not regular sneakers, and I can't imagine working out/running in regular sneakers with no socks, so the idea of wearing those with no socks doesn't sound appealling at all. It just seems like if you have to go sockless, that the inside would have to have seams or something that would end up rubbing your feet the wrong way.

I haven't seen any in person yet. I'm very interested in them because I'm a barefooter. I grew up on a lake, so you were always barefoot, or in very basic/thin rubber (1970's style) flip flops. They were there more to prevent stepping on sharp stones and burning your feet on the blacktop as we crossed the street back to the house. I want to try them on, but haven't looked too hard for a IRL place, mainly because of the sock issue.

I don't really have any experience to base an opinion, but I recently read this article in the NYTimes. It isn't about shoes with support, but rather about adding different types of support to shoes. From this and other things I've read, it seems like there isn't a lot of agreement about what types/amount of support are best. That said, I personally don't have enough knowledge to have a real opinion. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/health/nutrition/18best.html?_r=1

Do you wear toe socks with them? Or special socks?

I don't mind slipping on Keds with no socks, but not regular sneakers, and I can't imagine working out/running in regular sneakers with no socks, so the idea of wearing those with no socks doesn't sound appealling at all. It just seems like if you have to go sockless, that the inside would have to have seams or something that would end up rubbing your feet the wrong way.

I haven't seen any in person yet. I'm very interested in them because I'm a barefooter. I grew up on a lake, so you were always barefoot, or in very basic/thin rubber (1970's style) flip flops. They were there more to prevent stepping on sharp stones and burning your feet on the blacktop as we crossed the street back to the house. I want to try them on, but haven't looked too hard for a IRL place, mainly because of the sock issue.

I've seen special socks to wear with them. I don't know if you have to though. I don't have any. I can't stand anything between my toes. I've gotten blisters between my toes from a simple band-aid so I really don't think these would be a good idea for me.

I don't really have any experience to base an opinion, but I recently read this article in the NYTimes. It isn't about shoes with support, but rather about adding different types of support to shoes. From this and other things I've read, it seems like there isn't a lot of agreement about what types/amount of support are best. That said, I personally don't have enough knowledge to have a real opinion. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/health/nutrition/18best.html?_r=1
from the article:
As for “corrective†orthotics, he says, they do not correct so much as lead to a reduction in muscle strength.

I was wearing a very old pair of $25-$30 tennis shoes. When I put a pair of arch support inserts in (not custom ones because my insurance won't pay for them, but still ones from the dr's office), my feet felt better. Then I got new tennis shoes, $110 (ouch!!), and with the same inserts, my feet feel much, much better.

Somewhere along the way my feet need to actually heal. After that, I can see about doing more activity without the super-supportive shoes/inserts and see how that goes.

I don't know if I could wear the FiveFingers shoes without some sort of sock because my feet sweat easily and I can't imagine not having something for that. But they don't really look like the kind of shoe you'd wear (toe) socks with.

I don't know if I could wear the FiveFingers shoes without some sort of sock because my feet sweat easily and I can't imagine not having something for that. But they don't really look like the kind of shoe you'd wear (toe) socks with.

They specifically sell socks to go w/ the shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/accessories_injinji_socks.htm

I may get a pair to wear w/ my shoes.

I tried a friend's pair on recently and I think I would like them. But I just don't need them- around here I can go for walks along the river barefoot, I can run barefoot at a nearby oval...and I wear bare feet at home in summer and socks in winter. I wear comfortable shoes out in winter and some slip ons in summer. But overall I think I am getting the benefit of walking with barefeet by......walking with barefeet. Amazing, I know. :)

I am of the opinion that I would be cautious of accepting a podiatrist's opinion regarding what is healthy for your feet. How does he/she benefit if you heal your feet yourself by strengthening the bones and muscles of your feet by walking barefoot (as we were designed to do) or by wearing minimalist shoes such as the Five Fingers? I have noticed my bones and muscles in my feet becoming stronger since I have started walking barefoot. I also have a friend that runs barefoot and has amazing strength in her feet. To me, it seems crazy that Nike thinks they can improve upon what God created. Sure, we need protection during the cold and shoes provide that, but I think a lot of people discount the benefits of being barefoot because it is not the "cool" thing to do.

I have noticed my bones and muscles in my feet becoming stronger since I have started walking barefoot. I also have a friend that runs barefoot and has amazing strength in her feet. To me, it seems crazy that Nike thinks they can improve upon what God created. Sure, we need protection during the cold and shoes provide that, but I think a lot of people discount the benefits of being barefoot because it is not the "cool" thing to do.

One of the problems with my feet developed while I went around in socks all day. That's a pinched/inflammed nerve. It was after this that I started wearing shoes indoors, although I have always preferred wearing shoes outside to going barefoot. My plantar fasciitis developed after I started wearing shoes indoors. Coincidence or result? I don't know.

I am of the opinion that I would be cautious of accepting a podiatrist's opinion regarding what is healthy for your feet. How does he/she benefit if you heal your feet yourself by strengthening the bones and muscles of your feet by walking barefoot (as we were designed to do) or by wearing minimalist shoes such as the Five Fingers?

I really don't think podiatrists are trying to create job security by giving advice that will not heal our feet. It's as preposterous as saying no doctor wants to heal us completely--they want us to keep coming back so they can have a paycheck.

I just bought a pair on Saturday. I've barely gotten to wear them outside, I didn't think they were appropriate church attire yesterday and now it's raining and I don't want wet feet.

I got the style with a little bit more tread on the bottom. You're right, they are not pretty shoes and they probably make me look a little shorter and fatter, and as well as my ankles appearing 2x as chubby.

I have a bunion at my big toe joint on my right foot and I'm avoiding surgery for as long as I possibly can. It's getting so the bunion aches with the shoes I already have, more so than it used to. I bought these, hoping they'd be more flexible and allow my foot to walk naturally. ??? I really don't know if it will work, but I have hopes.

My other reason is that my flip-flops that I usually wear in the summer have really been irritating the skin on the tops of my feet, and it rarely heals even through the winter. This will protect my skin, I'm hoping. My husband has 2 pairs of the 5fingers, and loves them, he encouraged me to spring for them.

I really don't think podiatrists are trying to create job security by giving advice that will not heal our feet. .

And they wouldn't get many referrals from people who don't get better.

It's as preposterous as saying no doctor wants to heal us completely--they want us to keep coming back so they can have a paycheck.

There actually are people out there who say this, and worse. When my dh was getting cancer treatment, people told me that oncologists are on the payroll of the drug companies, they only tell you to do chemo to get the kick-back.

I believe there are unethical people in all professions, but I don't think that's the norm.

There actually are people out there who say this, and worse. When my dh was getting cancer treatment, people told me that oncologists are on the payroll of the drug companies, they only tell you to do chemo to get the kick-back.

I believe there are unethical people in all professions, but I don't think that's the norm.

I agree there will be some. But it's not the norm.

I think they are hideous, and I wear mine only as water shoes. Then again, I don't wear shoes in the house. I suppose I'd wear them in public, but I don't see how they wouldn't promote moisture and the growth of bacteria. Ickkkkkkkkkkk.

Which ones do you have? I was browsing through the choices yesterday. Different materials are used depending on the shoe. I would need a breathable pair, for sure.

Which ones do you have? I was browsing through the choices yesterday. Different materials are used depending on the shoe. I would need a breathable pair, for sure.

The bottom of the shoe says "W38", but I'm not sure if that is the model. The word "vibram" is also embroidered on them in a few places. HTH!

They do dry very quickly and have a mesh top, so I suppose that does make them breathable. Maybe I could use them to garden, too. Hrm.

I could never wear them. I have horribly flat feet and my ankles roll inward significantly. Even walking barefoot around the house is uncomfortable- I need to wear something with support if I'm going to be on my feet for more than just a few minutes.

I also have to admit that while I'm certainly not a fashionista, they're still way too ugly for even me to wear, LOL.

I could never wear them. I have horribly flat feet and my ankles roll inward significantly. Even walking barefoot around the house is uncomfortable- I need to wear something with support if I'm going to be on my feet for more than just a few minutes.

I also have to admit that while I'm certainly not a fashionista, they're still way too ugly for even me to wear, LOL.

When I got fitted for the shoes I wear now (my terribly expensive tennis shoes), they had me walk a bit without shoes so they could observe. It did feel like my feet/ankles rolled a bit, but I wonder if it's because I need to strengthen my feet/ankles. I do do some strengthening exercises at therapy and at home in addition to stretching.

People wear these just to wear them? Like I posted earlier, my husband has some for running but ONLY running. It gives him the benefit of barefoot running but keeps his feel clean. He would never consider wearing them as every day shoes. They are just too silly. They are also really expensive and not the most durable shoes. I am not sure they would last with all day, every day wear.

My friend calls them gorilla feet shoes. They do make one's toes look prehensile.

i wouldn't trade mine for the world. i have stride problems and i was going to have to stop running until i found the barefoot runners. i've worn them for about 8 months and logged over 300 miles run in them. i'm spoiled...i wear more 'proper' shoes when the situation calls for them, but they are the only things that are truly comfortable anymore.