Menu

What are some of those 'classics' in literature that you can't figure out WHY?

Moby Dick is one of my most favorite books of all times! And it deals with such big themes - the obsessive struggle of Captain Ahab against the whale is so symbolic of the struggle that many have against their own nemesis (or would it be nemeses?). Most, if not all, classics are about so much more than just the "story".

:iagree:It's one of my favorites too. Besides dealing with big themes, there are so many parts that are absolutely hilarious (his description of Nantucket comes to mind) and I loved the chapter with the sermon on Jonah. I can't believe how often this book has come up in this thread.:001_huh:

Wind in the Willows is also one of my all-time favorites. I love the characters and much of the language is mesmerizing. The theme of friendship through thick and thin makes it dear to me.

Several I'd wish I'd never read: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (won the Pulitzer in drama one year - not sure if that qualifies as a classic, but in any case - gah!); Catcher in the Rye; anything F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Kafka. I took a course in German literature in college - didn't read anything in that class worth remembering - pure torture.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hemingway

Wuthering Heights

Ayn Rand

Children's Lit:

The Water Babies

Raggedy Ann books

5/7 of The Chronicles of Narnia

But, but, but I simply cannot comprehend how anyone could dislike The Wind in the Willows.

Catcher in the Rye

Moby Dick

As I Lay Dying

Anything Steinbeck...

:iagree::iagree:

I really enjoyed Robinson Crusoe (one of the best conversion scenes in literature although I understand the tedium) and Wuthering Heights (although I just want to slap all the characters).

Classics that I just don't "get" - my fault or ?:

Catcher in the Rye

Crime and Punishment

The Sound and the Fury

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

(anything by Hardy)

I LOVE Dostoevsky but I don't understand why Crime & Punishment is so popular. I think The Brothers Karamazov should be the big, everyone-must-read-this classic lit piece. Crime &Punishment was only mediocre for Dostoevsky IMO.

The Lord of the Flies - Blech!

:iagree:

Island of the Blue Dolphins

1984, dont think it should be a high school classic. Save for college lit.

I dont know if this is a classic, I am hoping not, but One Hundred Years of Solitude, should be banned.

:lol::lol: I'm with you on Island of the Blue Dolphins (and as an aside, The Sparrow should NOOOOOT be read in high school!!!!) but I love One Hundred Years of Solitude at college level.

I LOVE Dostoevsky but I don't understand why Crime & Punishment is so popular. I think The Brothers Karamazov should be the big, everyone-must-read-this classic lit piece. Crime &Punishment was only mediocre for Dostoevsky IMO.

I love Crime & Punishment but I read it in my Russian literature class and the prof. led such an amazing discussion of the book in context of Russian language and literature and ideology that it has really stuck with me as a wonderful classic.

I remember reading the assigned pages then going back to the dorm after reading it in class and having a whole new appreciation for it. No other book discussions, outside of that class, ever opened my eyes in such a meaningful way to connect with a book.

I love Crime & Punishment but I read it in my Russian literature class and the prof. led such an amazing discussion of the book in context of Russian language and literature and ideology that it has really stuck with me as a wonderful classic.

I remember reading the assigned pages then going back to the dorm after reading it in class and having a whole new appreciation for it. No other book discussions, outside of that class, ever opened my eyes in such a meaningful way to connect with a book.

Awesone! I had a Dostoevsky class where we went through Crime & Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, Notes From The Underground, The Idiot, etc. The Brothers Karamazov shone as the best and most emotionally complex work of literature I've ever read, and I just don't understand why Crime & Punishment gets all the love, lol.

While I actually agree that The Brothers Karamazov are THE work of Dostoevsky (followed, maybe, by The Idiot), I agree with this reasoning too - I'm quite fond of Crime and Punishment and I think it's actually a good one to start with and a good one to pick as an "exemplary" Dostoevsky reading (even if I am sad if he's reduced to that work alone, but you have to draw the line somewhere unless it's a particular interest).

While I actually agree that The Brothers Karamazov are THE work of Dostoevsky (followed, maybe, by The Idiot), I agree with this reasoning too - I'm quite fond of Crime and Punishment and I think it's actually a good one to start with and a good one to pick as an "exemplary" Dostoevsky reading (even if I am sad if he's reduced to that work alone, but you have to draw the line somewhere unless it's a particular interest).

Good point. It is a lot shorter ;)

Awesone! I had a Dostoevsky class where we went through Crime & Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, Notes From The Underground, The Idiot, etc. The Brothers Karamazov shone as the best and most emotionally complex work of literature I've ever read, and I just don't understand why Crime & Punishment gets all the love, lol.

Want to come visit and talk books?

I'm trying to read The Brothers Karamazov, and I have to confess that so far, I hate it.

I'm not denying it's a classic. And I'm sure once I make it through I will understand why it's worth it to make it through, but it's sure an unpleasant journey.

I'm trying to read The Brothers Karamazov, and I have to confess that so far, I hate it.

I'm not denying it's a classic. And I'm sure once I make it through I will understand why it's worth it to make it through, but it's sure an unpleasant journey.

Stick with that one, more likely than not, it will prove rewarding when you reach the interesting parts. ;)

Which translation? BK didn't speak to me at all until I tried Pevear/Volokhonsky.

Sure -but I still don't get why Kafka's book is 'classic'. I just don't get it.

Something you have to keep in mind too is that with works that were originally written in another language, you're reading a translation that may or may not be very good to begin with, and that it's often difficult or impossible to completely convey the original mood/voice/whatever in another language. Even some words may be difficult to translate if there's not a completely analogous word in English. So it can be hard to see the author's mastery of the use of language, form, and style if you're reading a translation.

As far as Metamorphosis, it's an excellent example of existentialism, one of the first. He did a masterful job of evoking senselessness, helplessness, absurdity, etc. It also raised interesting questions regarding what it means to be human--both on the part of the suffering Gregor, hideous on the outside but remaining human on the inside, AND his family, who remain human on the outside, but in varying degrees grow hideous on the inside.

Someone mentioned Hardy--his books are some of the bleakest tragedies I've read, yet there is a harsh beauty in the bleakness too. Definitely not fun reads, though.

Edited by Kirch
left out a couple of words!

Girl of the Limberlost.

We just read this for book club - I'd heard how wonderful it was. Bleck. None of the girls liked it, and I have to say I couldn't defend it. We spent most of the book club talking about how unrealistically perfect Elnora was as a character.

Love Wind in the Willows, though. :)

Want to come visit and talk books?

Have you hit Ivan & the devil scene yet? That was my major :001_wub: moment.

Several have mentioned they dislike my boy Hardy. I really enjoy Hardy - anything Hardy. Mayor of Casterbridge, Far from the Maddening Crowd, Tess, etc. But I also like Dickens and Hawthorne. Surprisingly NOT Melville.

That said I'm now convinced I need to give Moby Dick a try as an adult. If multiple people on this forum can defend it's merit and actually find it amusing (really???) I obviously missed something and need to give it a honest try.

Crime and Punishment. I slogged through the entire book, but only because I really wanted to finish what I'd started, and because I kept thinking it had to get better since it is such a 'classic.' Yikes. It's really dreadful, in my opinion. On the other hand, I think it could have been a really interesting short story.

Moby Dick. This is probably not a true answer to the question, because I do somewhat appreciate why it is a classic. But it makes my brain liquefy and leak out my ears. I've never been able to finish it. Just not my style at all.

And in the Picture Book category... I'll Love You Forever. I detest this book, I really do. It's makes my skin crawl. The first few pages are ok, but then mom turns into a creeper, and I just cannot read it to my children! We've been given the book repeatedly as gifts, and it's always on the top loved kids book lists, so I know I am in the minority here, but, Yuck!

And in the Picture Book category... I'll Love You Forever. I detest this book, I really do. It's makes my skin crawl. The first few pages are ok, but then mom turns into a creeper, and I just cannot read it to my children! We've been given the book repeatedly as gifts, and it's always on the top loved kids book lists, so I know I am in the minority here, but, Yuck!

I'm with you there! Hate it.

I may be the only person on the planet who feels this way but anything by Shakespeare. YUK YUK YUK.

I'm seriously considering skipping Shakespeare altogether with my kids. I can give them the background and that's good enough in my opinion. If they want to tackle it then fine but I see no good reason to put them through that misery if they don't want to.

Several have mentioned they dislike my boy Hardy. I really enjoy Hardy - anything Hardy. Mayor of Casterbridge, Far from the Maddening Crowd, Tess, etc. But I also like Dickens and Hawthorne.

I like Dickens and Hawthorne but cannot stand Hardy. He's too sympathetic towards adultery. That's what I dislike most about Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary as well. Ick, ick, ick.

The modern TV equivalent is Mad Men- all these people I know rave about how great the show is but when I watched a couple of episodes I couldn't stand it.

Oh, I love these threads. I usually just read them. But I must defend Wuthering Heights. What a great, tragic, beautiful, lyrical, dense, gorgeous tale. And utterly new in its day--the unreliable narrator, the unlikable heroine, the crazy hero.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

LOVE Wuthering Heights.

But "Heart of Darkness"?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moby Dick is one of my most favorite books of all times! And it deals with such big themes - the obsessive struggle of Captain Ahab against the whale is so symbolic of the struggle that many have against their own nemesis (or would it be nemeses?). Most, if not all, classics are about so much more than just the "story".

Finally a woman of taste :D

It never fails these threads trash my favorite authors. Painful! Painful!

Kafka

Faulkner

Joyce

Camus

Hemingway

Conrad

Dostoevsky

Shakespeare

Steinbeck

Garcia Marquez

Where does the madness end? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I really should not have read this thread. People hate Kafka? People want to ban One Hundred Years of Solitude? No one seems to get my beloved Faulkner. No love for Hawthorne. And some people have it in for the Russians, I noticed. :sad:

There are a number of books I really, really disliked... (I'm there with you all on Moby Dick and Heart of Darkness)... but I can understand why they're classics.

I guess there are actually very few books that I question *why* they're classics. I usually get it even if they're not to my personal taste. Though I admit I used to have this whole strongly anti-Candide thing. But if I'm being an adult about it, I can admit that it's a classic for a reason...

Kafka

Faulkner

Joyce

Camus

Hemingway

Conrad

Dostoevsky

Shakespeare

Bill

Take out Hemingway, and I'm with you there. :001_tt2:

Thesevare some of my favorite authors as well. I don't see how anyone could hate Kafka or camus.....sigh.....

Finally a woman of taste :D

Kafka

Faulkner

Joyce

Camus

Hemingway

Conrad

Dostoevsky

Shakespeare

Bill

I refuse. Papa was a giant, and I'm about to fix myself a drink in his memory. It seem like the right thing to do :tongue_smilie:
Maybe that's my problem with Hemingway: My drinks aren't stiff enough to appreciate (relief at) the clarity of the prose.

I think some people are listing books they just didn't like rather than books they didn't think should be classics.

I think some stuff being listed is just weird. There are books I don't really care for that I *do* think are classics and should be read by those who want to consider themselves educated.

I totally disagree with almost everyone on this thread (except the Dostoevsky side discussion)

It is making me want to bang my head on the table.

I like Dickens and Hawthorne but cannot stand Hardy. He's too sympathetic towards adultery. That's what I dislike most about Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary as well. Ick, ick, ick.

Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary had horrible endings with the title characters killing themselves. They seemed a bit more nasty and killy towards adultresses than sympathetic.

I refuse. Papa was a giant, and I'm about to fix myself a drink in his memory. It seem like the right thing to do :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Ha! It's hard to deny that the man was a literary giant, but unfortunately he just doesn't do it for me, either.

I will concede that Heart of Darkness is overrated, but Faulkner? Garcia Marquez? Kafka? You people are making me cry.

One thing that I find very interesting about many of the 'classics' is that the books that I enjoy the most are not necessarily the ones that haunt me, and vice versa. And the experience of reading them is so different at different life moments.

I think some people are listing books they just didn't like rather than books they didn't think should be classics.

I think some stuff being listed is just weird. There are books I don't really care for that I *do* think are classics and should be read by those who want to consider themselves educated.

I totally disagree with almost everyone on this thread (except the Dostoevsky side discussion)

My least favorite book in the world is McTeague. However, it is the quintessential naturalistic novel, and I understand why it is an important novel to read. It haunts me--Treena and the money and the broken fingers...

:iagree: Yes, a classic doesn't have to have widespread appeal. I mean, Dan Brown has widespread appeal and his books are not classics. And what is with this Hemmingway and Steinbeck hate? :glare: What on earth? Have y'all tried these books as adults or merely as teens trying to quickly finish the book so you could do something else? I urge you to give them another shot.

Clifton Fadiman said when you read a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before, you see more in you than there was before.

To me, a classic isn't about the story line so much as an in depth experience. To feel what a character has felt, that's so rare a thing.

Margaret, raising her glass to Hemmingway